Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

KakerMix posted:

A wire transfer? That's hosed up right?

Well, I don't keep $316,000 in my personal checking account so I can't just write a check, can I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

This is kinda in left field, but reading news about the Tesla big rig, are their any manufacturers working on service/delivery style cargo vans? My construction company is looking to get another van and honestly none of the diesel/gas ones on the market make me very happy. We currently are running some Mercedes Freightliners, and I'm looking at maybe a Ford Transit next, but all I hear anywhere is that everything has poo poo reliability since the engines are getting so complex to keep up with emission standards.

Also charging the trucks at the shop every night, and never having to get gas again sounds like a dream come true.

DHL commissioned an EV delivery vehicle in Germany and just bought the company that developed it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Got the email about the Roadster.
Could've sworn they said it went 0-60mph/100kmph in 1.9 seconds at the launch event? They made a big deal about it being under 2 seconds.
Guess they're hedging their bets given the reservation is a contract.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

KakerMix posted:

A wire transfer? That's hosed up right?

Nah Tesla has always accepted wire transfers for car payments, and a decent number of customers use them to pay. It's more the amount that's WTF-worthy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tyro posted:

Nah Tesla has always accepted wire transfers for car payments, and a decent number of customers use them to pay. It's more the amount that's WTF-worthy.

Most in the US do EFT, I’m told. I was surprised that they just wanted a cheque when I picked mine up in Canada.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone in the US making an electric wagon at all ever? I mean I don't have huge hopes but it would be cool, I'm sort of trying to decide if I want to get an EV as my next car or a station wagon. I really don't want to get an SUV or anything with like elevated ride height.

I mean I know Model S is like sort of a wagon with the hatch but I'm not sure I want to go with Tesla

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Stefan Prodan posted:

Is anyone in the US making an electric wagon at all ever? I mean I don't have huge hopes but it would be cool, I'm sort of trying to decide if I want to get an EV as my next car or a station wagon. I really don't want to get an SUV or anything with like elevated ride height.

I mean I know Model S is like sort of a wagon with the hatch but I'm not sure I want to go with Tesla

I mean.. the B class is a bigass hatchback, the e-golf is a wagon/hatch, the etron a3 is a wagon/hatch....

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
BMW has indicated they’re making an all-electric 3 series at some point in the future, and I’m holding out hope that it’ll be easy for them to bring a wagon to the US as there’s pretty much zero emissions testing required to meet DOT specs. :v: That said, I have no idea if the DOT would want to crash a bunch of the cars as well or if they’d be okay with the sedan 3 crash tests. If they want unique crash test figures, it would pretty much shoot it dead.

I’m honestly surprised the wagon 3 is available in the US, as they only seem to make car magazines and weird car-loving people happy. We will be in crossover hell for a very long time, until a new generation of kids get old enough to think that crossovers are their parents’ cars, and that they need something “cooler” or whatever the term will be.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There’s no way an electric 3 wouldn’t require an entirely new crash series.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

eyebeem posted:

I mean.. the B class is a bigass hatchback, the e-golf is a wagon/hatch, the etron a3 is a wagon/hatch....

Sorry I should have specified, I mean like a full-size instead of a small hatchback

Probably unrealistic to hope for one in the US I guess

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Stefan Prodan posted:

Sorry I should have specified, I mean like a full-size instead of a small hatchback

Probably unrealistic to hope for one in the US I guess

Sooooo you mean a crossover?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
No I mean a full size wagon?

Like the 328 wagon or the e class wagon

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Stefan Prodan posted:

No I mean a full size wagon?

Like the 328 wagon or the e class wagon

Is the 3 series wagon actually bigger than an egolf?

But yeah, I figured you meant full size. Give me something the size of a big volvo wagon and I'd spend a lot of money on it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Probably a concern about weight and safety vs charge/trip length?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWYtq0hxhQg

2 hour long complete tear down, reassembly and explanation of the Gen2 Volt battery.

This channel does a lot of teardowns on various EV and Hybrid power systems.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ripoff posted:

BMW has indicated they’re making an all-electric 3 series at some point in the future, and I’m holding out hope that it’ll be easy for them to bring a wagon to the US as there’s pretty much zero emissions testing required to meet DOT specs. :v: That said, I have no idea if the DOT would want to crash a bunch of the cars as well or if they’d be okay with the sedan 3 crash tests. If they want unique crash test figures, it would pretty much shoot it dead.

I’m honestly surprised the wagon 3 is available in the US, as they only seem to make car magazines and weird car-loving people happy. We will be in crossover hell for a very long time, until a new generation of kids get old enough to think that crossovers are their parents’ cars, and that they need something “cooler” or whatever the term will be.

every powertrain combination sold in the US has to be crashed and federalized

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Morgan going through with the EV3, slated to start production in Q3 18:
http://www.evo.co.uk/morgan/3-wheeler/17446/morgan-ev3-confirmed-for-late-2018

I guess it comes down to whether Frazer-Nash can deliver the powertrain package on time and to spec. I have no background for why they didn't win the Metrocab bid, but it does seem like a negative.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Edmunds is doing a long term review for the Model 3:
https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-3/2018/long-term-road-test/introduction.html

e: lol, wait, they're just stoking the hype fire a bit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

And if you can't wait for the new targa Roadster...
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1976-FERRARI-308-GTS-CUSTOM-TARGA-211200

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think we've discussed auto dimming streetlights theoretically in this thread, but I haven't seen it done in practice. Turns out it's been installed just west of Oslo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi8eE_NEfHM

Not sure if there's a radar literally on each one, would surely be cheaper to do every 5 or 10 and just slave the ones in between.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's pretty drat neat from both energy savings and light pollution reduction. Doesn't seem like it was ever viable before LED lighting.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If you installed that in a similar area in the US, directly adjacent to a residential area, I guarantee everyone that lives along that roadway would call in bitching about the lights going dim and bright in their house windows.

It is cool though! As long as someone else is troubleshooting it when it breaks!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Ola posted:

I think we've discussed auto dimming streetlights theoretically in this thread, but I haven't seen it done in practice. Turns out it's been installed just west of Oslo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi8eE_NEfHM

Not sure if there's a radar literally on each one, would surely be cheaper to do every 5 or 10 and just slave the ones in between.

Either that or do it block by block with just stoplight style sensors at the beginning of the block on either side of the street.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

angryrobots posted:

If you installed that in a similar area in the US, directly adjacent to a residential area,
Truth.

If they're optimized for cars, it'd mean a lot less brightly lit areas. Which usually means a ton of broken beer bottles or hosed up cars in the morning.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

D C posted:

Either that or do it block by block with just stoplight style sensors at the beginning of the block on either side of the street.

I wouldn't want to live right next to lights that go on and off and on and off all night, so I hope it only gets installed in remote areas.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I certainly hope they wouldn’t do it in urban areas where the lights are also needed for cyclist and pedestrian safety.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I wouldn't want to live right next to lights that go on and off and on and off all night, so I hope it only gets installed in remote areas.

If they gradually brightened and dimmed, it might be less noticeable.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Are there only street lights in residential areas over there? In the sticks, the roads are for the most part dark here. But there's a pretty big chunk of road network that have high peaks and deep troughs of traffic (so both good road lighting and clever energy saving is justified) but where very people live in the immediate vicinity. Tunnel lighting is a great example. Always lit, often with low traffic and where detecting vehicles and predicting their paths could hardly be simpler. In the city it would just be a flashing disco show, although it could stay permanently on during winter afternoon/evenings, then go to energy saving mode at night.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Interestingly, when hurricane Irma came through this year, it tore the hats off a bunch of the streetlights in my neighborhood. When I was cleaning up my yard, I found one with what I had assumed was the day/night sensor on it still intact. loving thing had a MAC address. Blew my mind that the entire neighborhood's streetlights are networked.

I cannot come up with a reason for this. :v:

Also, they came around and fixed the streetlights on my street the day before the peak of the Leonid meteor shower. Thanks guys. :eng99:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Interestingly, when hurricane Irma came through this year, it tore the hats off a bunch of the streetlights in my neighborhood. When I was cleaning up my yard, I found one with what I had assumed was the day/night sensor on it still intact. loving thing had a MAC address. Blew my mind that the entire neighborhood's streetlights are networked.

If your utility uses an rf based meter reading system, there are RF repeaters that transfer local meter data to collectors that are internet connected. Some of these devices plug into standard utility lighting in a piggyback fashion where the photo eye sensor is, for easy power access and serviceability reasons.

Either that, or local law enforcement installed a camera to watch your place....

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MrYenko posted:

Monitoring. Rather than having to wait for reports of lights out or send crews out at night looking for them the lights can report on their own status and service can be scheduled.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Is there a reasonably priced CUV that can do at least 30 miles on electric? Our Tucson is a lemon and will likely be replaced soon and I’d love to replace it with something that could do a small trip on battery. The only thing that came to mind was the i3 but the styling is a bit too out there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

angryrobots posted:

It is cool though! As long as someone else is troubleshooting it when it breaks!

Troubleshooting miles and miles of loving Christmas lights to find the one that burned out.

KozmoNaut posted:

Remote areas usually don't have street lights lining the roads. At least not in any of the states I've lived in.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
E: whoops :downs:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Is there a reasonably priced CUV that can do at least 30 miles on electric? Our Tucson is a lemon and will likely be replaced soon and I’d love to replace it with something that could do a small trip on battery. The only thing that came to mind was the i3 but the styling is a bit too out there.
Iirc there's an electric or hybrid RAV4.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My GF and I finally bought a house, which has meant we can finally get a charge point, which means we can finally get an EV. We don't get a subsidy locally (Guernsey), so the local dealership imports used cars from the UK, whose subsidy contributes massively to the depreciation. Ended up with a 2015 Nissan Leaf Tekna in black, 7k on the clock for just under £13k with a charge point installation included.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ReelBigLizard posted:

My GF and I finally bought a house, which has meant we can finally get a charge point, which means we can finally get an EV. We don't get a subsidy locally (Guernsey), so the local dealership imports used cars from the UK, whose subsidy contributes massively to the depreciation. Ended up with a 2015 Nissan Leaf Tekna in black, 7k on the clock for just under £13k with a charge point installation included.

That's one way to not have to ever worry about range, live on an island where the longest possible round trip is less than 20 miles.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
You'd think they'd be more popular here honestly. The best selling car has been the Fiat 500 for some time, the Leaf is only just starting to chase it down. People have this weird thing where even though they have never and will never take their car to the continent or the UK. They buy ICE just in case they have a sudden need to take a nine hour ferry and then drive to Aberdeen.

That's no excuse for the local government, who own outright the sole electricity supplier. They recently started to replace the public bus fleet, for some reason they bought more lovely diesel buses and no-one in gov seems to be able to tell me why they didn't go electric or at least hybrid. At least the local post office has taken the plunge with 20+ eNV-200s.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, it seems like you pretty much have the perfect situation for the "rent an ICE for long trips" approach. It's a hard sell in the US where most of us can picture destinations that are just out of range for an EV but seem too short to be worth the trouble of renting a car, but for you there's a hard dividing line that any trip over a certain distance involves multiple hours on a boat even just one way which neutralizes the slight bit of effort involved in the rental.

Weird on the buses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ilkhan posted:

Iirc there's an electric or hybrid RAV4.
KIA put out an electric version of the Soul, and their EV Niro is out this year, too.

• Locked thread