Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
ive said it a trillion times, but the success of the original destiny, especially after every single person online said it was mediocre and boring, makes me terrifically mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

people actually believed bungie's "10 year plan" and just lmfao at how dumb gamers can be

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

everything i've ever heard about destiny has been like the epitome damning with faint praise, Brad is about the only person i've heard be really excited about it, and it's for the hue of purple you get in a box. way more baffling to me than the pubg support

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
to me it felt like it was only successful because of how hard it was pushed (ads in buses, commercials, THIS WEEK ON DESTINY fail series on gaming news sites), and it was so transparent it shocked me that it worked

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Even Brad's is damning with faint praise, I mean read his personal GOTY entry for it:

Brad posted:

A better-playing game--with more loot but a less interesting world--which runs out of steam a little abruptly. That's Destiny 2. I had a fantastic time playing this obsessively for something like 80 hours over the first month (less so the bumpy 20-something hours we streamed the raid), and then I just... stopped. If the first Destiny inched you through the endgame too slowly, this one greases up the runners and shoots you there on a rocket sled. Of course, the path to hit max level was full of great shooting (obviously) and wildly imaginative sights. I want more intriguing stories to go along with those sights, though, stories that suggest a grander universe than the boilerplate plot the campaign focuses on; more stuff like Invitation From the Emperor, please. Also, as much as I miss some of Marty O'Donnell's trademark musical stylings, now that I've had a couple months to think about it, the score is better than I've ever given it credit for.

The Destiny 2 that launched in September and Destiny 2 today are practically separate topics at this point, though. The underwhelming first DLC and barebones holiday event that both hit shortly before this writing--along with a series of micro-scandals involving player progression and microtransactions--don't inspire confidence that Bungie is immediately going to right the ship, but I'll show up for every new expansion until they give me a firm reason not to. Eventually, hopefully, all the pieces might fall into place. Destiny remains fascinating and unperfected, but the things that are missing are different here than they were the first time.

GOTY

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
oh hell yes https://www.giantbomb.com/articles/bakoons-top-15-games-of-2017/1100-5666/

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i actually like loot games but i never played destiny due to that aggressive marketing when everyone basically hated it. i'm pretty sure it was in the most disappointing category and also on their top 10 list that year which really just says it all about this process lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i shouldnt have listened to best game, i hear abbys voice in my head now, this is maddening

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

i shouldnt have listened to best game, i hear abbys voice in my head now, this is maddening

Lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i tried to warn you dude

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It's sick they got Yoko Taro to do a list

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i actually like loot games but i never played destiny due to that aggressive marketing when everyone basically hated it. i'm pretty sure it was in the most disappointing category and also on their top 10 list that year which really just says it all about this process lol

I got it for free with my PS4, and I’m very grateful for that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I turned my PS4 on this week for the first time in a month to play RE7 and they put a Destiny 2 ad into the banner of my library as if I owned it. I then cancelled PS plus

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

hell must be reading any other forums reactions to the GOTYcasts

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

people keep saying brad and dans hitsmas runs are good which is wild to me

i couldn’t watch their regular hitman videos because brad is such a brad and would never stop hesitating about every single move he made, it was unbearable

last year dans hitsmas run was he immediately ran into a personnel only area and got shot and died like one minute in

i’ll have to check out this years but i’m skeptical

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe you should watch them. Hell theyre free

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

lmfao

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

In Training posted:

Maybe you should watch them. Hell theyre free

bullshit what am i paying them for then

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

when destiny 2's beta came out I really wanted to like it but in the tutorial theres a part where you have to stand in one spot and shoot 3 waves of the same big halo brute dudes that all act the same and I gave up. I got so bored with a demo I gave up.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

It's sick they got Yoko Taro to do a list

oh gently caress thats cool

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao his goty is pocket camp

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2nlJL7kvhk

is this the cool amazing sun thing thats the best art brad has ever seen in a video game?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ill say theyre pretty games but fighting increasingly bullet spongier enemies in a shooter because the RPG mechanics demand it is the worst idea ever. also yes the aggressive advertising is really annoying, the same poo poo happens on the battle.net launcher where it acts like you own the game

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Sharkopath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2nlJL7kvhk

is this the cool amazing sun thing thats the best art brad has ever seen in a video game?

Im impressed someone turned that "every movie poster is orange and teal" blogpost into videogame form

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

What a joke. The Destiny series in general looks like a bunch of boring stock modern military stuff grafted onto a bunch of boring stock sci-fi assets. It’s some of the most mundane art direction I’ve seen in a game and it blows my mind that the same people made Halo.

The concept art revealed for the first game’s announcement looked awesome too so it’s extra disappointing.

The evil hive-ship thing in The Taken King expansion actually had some pretty decent design, though- basically like these next pieces but not as cool. It was probably the only part in either game that kind of stood out visually:

Anyways, hope you enjoyed this because it’s probably the only sincere post about these games I’ll ever make.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

in conclusion:

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

in conclusion:

lmao

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

okay just one more

Only registered members can see post attachments!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

okay just one more

Wow

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

considering how easy to please the GB community is, thats pretty wild.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

okay just one more

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

well at least it wasnt destiny lol

Soral
May 30, 2009

yoko taro's list is incredible

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
25 hours of discussion and my only real takeaway is that abby is legit retarded. lol

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

okay just one more

:eyepop:

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

in conclusion:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Abby's "this game is very good" is annoying and all, but I don't think anything actually pissed me off other than Brad's "If you try to cut Destiny 2 from this list, we'll be here all night." tantrum. Still don't understand why he acts like he owes something to Destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yeah Abby's new to this but Brad should heckin know better by now