Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

Even after seeing it a second time it's unclear to me when he turned. His saying, "we got caught, I cut a deal" and the fact that he's not kneeling with Finn and Rose implies that at some point they took him aside from them

Did he request that, in front of them?

Like, he would've had to turn on them before they got into that room, right? Otherwise when and how would he have been separated from them for enough time to parlay?

And yeah Poe didn't say a single thing about cloaking over the comm to Finn that BDT could overhear, yet his info caused the FO to run a de-cloaking scan? But then Leia says, "they're not monitoring for small ships" being the reason Holdo's plan is...a plan

Muddy muddy muddy

He turned between the time we see them together and the time we see Finn and Rose without him. If he had turned earlier, they would have been apprehended earlier, ergo he turned after they were captured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i dont have a problem w/ them giving director to some nobody considering irvin kershner directed empire

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Perestroika posted:

Additionally, it's a way for him with to free himself from culpability and give some rationalisation of all that happened. After all, as it stands right now he is kind of a massive gently caress-up. First he signs up with the First Order and even goes so far as to murder his own father to show his loyalty. But then he goes and murders Snoke, not so much because of any particular ambition or ideology, but more as a spontaneous act driven by emotion because he can't even be an amoral monster properly. His life is a shambles, the galaxy a mess, and it's all his fault.

But if he were to succeed in his new goal of burning this motherfucker down, that wouldn't matter any more. The slate would be clean, and there would be no one left to take him to task for his failings. It would be as if everything just happened as part of a regular natural order, the old being destroyed to make room for the new, and his own role in everything would just have been as somebody who moved along something that would have happened anyway.

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Yes. That's I think the most important thing to realize about Kylo. He is not rational. He's less rational than any star wars villain, even Anakin "killing younglings" Skywalker. He is ruled by emotion in an understandable yet mildly terrifying way. He foists his own failures onto others and finds justifications for it, whether they're real or not. He is a very angry person. That's what makes him so interesting as the apparent big bad of episode IX (although it wouldn't surprise me if something unexpected happened).

Edit: it's also apparent that he doesn't really know what he wants, either. The resistance dead, sure, but beyond that he has no plan.

My take was that Ren was generally sincere when he talked about leaving the past behind - it feels like this is why he turned, that Snoke convinced him that he had a path away from the old Jedi/Sith and Empire/Rebel crap. When Snoke admitted to manipulating Ren (I may be wrong, but I don't think Ren was aware of Snoke's intervention here) to get at Rey, Ren realises that Snoke was just as caught up in the old ways as anyone, so Ren killed him.

Ren and Rey's space-skype conversations seemed to help him find some genuine equilibrium with his emotions - both Ren's and Rey's arcs seem to be about freeing themselves from their personal histories - Ren didn't kill Han for loyalty, Han in TFA was a temptation back to his previous life and the previous problems with the galaxy.

Of course, they just threw it all away after the throne room fight, by making Ren a generic whiny evil guy - I have no idea why Hux, or ANYONE didn't frag Ren at any point during the rest of the film.

Ren as a nihilistic antagonist who doesn't care about Jedi or Sith, Good or Evil and Light or Dark would be much more interesting and unnerving than what we have - and it would be something new for SW, which has mostly dealt with fairly black and white themes.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I saw this hot garbage for the first time last night. I never got onto whatever wavelength Disney / Rian wanted me on and I'm still processing the multitude of questionable moments (there are so many I can't remember them all and I'm honestly surprised at how TlJ fails at every critiqueable film level apart from production value.)

I guess one clusterfuck I'm trying to comprehend is the whole Finn + Rose sequence on the salt planet all the way up to the kiss. What was the point or message of that? Was it supposed to be genuinely and unironically romantic?

Everything about that sequence was hosed up. Finn is about to make a heroic self sacrifice to save the beyond decimated Rebel forces, but gets intercepted by Rose because "This is how we're going to save the resistance, by saving the ones we love" or some weak bullshit. Then she kisses him and literal sparks fly, with the deaths of their comrades being fried alive by the death ray consecrating their love or some poo poo.

Just... what? Did people actually find this scene thoughtful and romantic? Admiral Holdor, for as poo poo and meaningless as her character was, just sacrificed herself for the greater good just moments ago. But I guess I'm supposed to take Rose's selfish decision as heartwarming and romantic.

And then to nitpick further.. these rickety deathtrap skiffs were falling apart in flight but of course it would survive direct ramming, of course. And then they also crashed at the feet of the AT-ATs but no one bothers to fire on them from the crash site, or all the way back to the rebel base (easily miles of dragging for Finn). Just loving godawful.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

Even after seeing it a second time it's unclear to me when he turned. His saying, "we got caught, I cut a deal" and the fact that he's not kneeling with Finn and Rose implies that at some point they took him aside from them

Did he request that, in front of them?

Like, he would've had to turn on them before they got into that room, right? Otherwise when and how would he have been separated from them for enough time to parlay?

And yeah Poe didn't say a single thing about cloaking over the comm to Finn that BDT could overhear, yet his info caused the FO to run a de-cloaking scan? But then Leia says, "they're not monitoring for small ships" being the reason Holdo's plan is...a plan

Muddy muddy muddy

Prior to the capture the FO are not monitoring for small ships. Clear. Ergo the transports "cloak" and don't show up on the FO's scans. Easily inferred. Benicio overhears from Poe that they are loading transports. Clear. Benecio tells Hux that yo they are launching transports. Easily inferred. Upon receiving this information, Hux runs a "de-cloaking scan" so that the small ships show up on their space radar or whatever. Clear.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

Prior to the capture the FO are not monitoring for small ships. Clear. Ergo the transports "cloak" and don't show up on the FO's scans. Easily inferred. Benicio overhears from Poe that they are loading transports. Clear. Benecio tells Hux that yo they are launching transports. Easily inferred. Upon receiving this information, Hux runs a "de-cloaking scan" so that the small ships show up on their space radar or whatever. Clear.

We hear a transport pilot say something about engaging cloaking

So is it that the transports are cloaked or that the empire isn’t monitoring for small ships? If they’re not monitoring for small ships why cloak?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I'm assuming the "cloaking" means they are not showing up on radar. It can be seen through easily with a de-cloaking scan apparently. But the FO were not expecting small ships to show up so never bothered to run such a scan before being made aware of the transports.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Are you still hung up on cloaking? Give it a break, please, for your own sanity.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Are there really sci-fi movies that exist where you can't poke at the seams until several hundred gallons of plot holes and technological absurdities fall out?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

an skeleton posted:

Are there really sci-fi movies that exist where you can't poke at the seams until several hundred gallons of plot holes and technological absurdities fall out?

Yeah. Lots of movies kinda fall apart if you start to question why X did Y.

It makes for tiresome discussions. Example: this thread

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Elissimpark posted:

Of course, they just threw it all away after the throne room fight, by making Ren a generic whiny evil guy - I have no idea why Hux, or ANYONE didn't frag Ren at any point during the rest of the film.
because he's powerful and would murder them

the first thing that happens after he takes over is Hux gets mad at him but then he force chokes him. also the dude probably is aware that he can do things like stop blaster bolts with his mind bc he's done that a lot in the previous film

an skeleton posted:

most don't have situations as egregious as the aforementioned "fin and rose kiss after crashing in front of the entire new order force without getting shot at once and then fin drags rose alllllll the way back to the base still without getting shot". more importantly, logic aside, the scene doesn't make emotional sense. it seems like it's supposed to be romantic or inspirational but you can literally see, in that same shot as she's explaining that she stopped him from crashing into the death laser because we need to save what we love, the death laser frying open the door all their friends they love are hiding behind. this isn't a pick apart the movie after you watched it thing, in the moment I was struggling not to start laughing in the movie theater.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 30, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pg. 420 Snoke's in bad Star Wars movies every day.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

On the point of Chinese box office returns: I think China generally likes watching movies that have at least any chinese people (I guess you could count Orion Lee?)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it was nice and the First Order is focussing on loving up the door, they have never confirmed a kill in this movie so I don't understand why people are surprised they're not doing it now. What is one dude gonna do?

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Turtlicious posted:

I think it was nice and the First Order is focussing on loving up the door, they have never confirmed a kill in this movie so I don't understand why people are surprised they're not doing it now. What is one dude gonna do?

Neither they nor the Empire ever confirmed a kill in any movie.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Incorrect. Darth Vader stepped on Obi-Wan's robes. lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Turtlicious posted:

but it's not like they're hiding in their downed ships, he pulled her literally all the way back to the base in front of them

also don't you think the point about saving people you love is kind of muddied by a lot of people she loves being about to die due to her stopping fin from stopping the laser

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
what if ren had been walking around pantsless instead of shirtless :thunk:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fin wasn't going to stop the laser and she only loved her sister.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Yeah I meant series.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

IronicDongz posted:

but it's not like they're hiding in their downed ships, he pulled her literally all the way back to the base in front of them

also don't you think the point about saving people you love is kind of muddied by a lot of people she loves being about to die due to her stopping fin from stopping the laser

None of those people matter to Rose, because she's less a woman with agency, and more of a blunt instrument to teach a lesson to the audience.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

cargohills posted:

Are you still hung up on cloaking? Give it a break, please, for your own sanity.

Man it’s not even about the cloaking, or even technical realism or anything like that—it’s unclear. And not unclear in the way that I don’t understand what’s going on or what’s meant to be going on. My problem is that it doesn’t...hmmm I dunno there’s just moments where I think, “wait huh?” In a way that doesn’t have to do with immersion

All that said though, I like more of TLJ than I don’t

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I didn't find this to be a good movie on first watch. Force awakens and rogue one were waaaaaay better.

This didn't even feel like a Star Wars Film. It had things from Star Wars in it, but it wasn't Star Wars.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Laserface posted:

I didn't find this to be a good movie on first watch. Force awakens and rogue one were waaaaaay better.

This didn't even feel like a Star Wars Film. It had things from Star Wars in it, but it wasn't Star Wars.

Good.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

because he's powerful and would murder them

the first thing that happens after he takes over is Hux gets mad at him but then he force chokes him. also the dude probably is aware that he can do things like stop blaster bolts with his mind bc he's done that a lot in the previous film

Yeah, but that seems to involve concentration - he's going to have his back turned or sleep or something at some point. And he doesn't seem particularly respected the way Snoke or Vader were.

Palpatine is blind-sided by Vader in ROTJ, all the Jedi are blind-sided by clone grunts in which prequel that happens in. Snoke is blind-sided in the same frigging film.

Once they realised Luke was playing for time, they could have just blasted Ren with the AT-AT's. Wouldn't have had to re-aim or anything.

Thinking about it, that could've been a pretty good ending for Ren.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kevin Palpatine posted:

Send bobs.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
But what is Star Wars? It is a feeling. It is a vision. A thought that exists within the mind...it is an expression...

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Gatts posted:

But what is Star Wars? It is a feeling. It is a vision. A thought that exists within the mind...it is an expression...

whoa

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Waffles Inc. posted:

Man it’s not even about the cloaking, or even technical realism or anything like that—it’s unclear. And not unclear in the way that I don’t understand what’s going on or what’s meant to be going on. My problem is that it doesn’t...hmmm I dunno there’s just moments where I think, “wait huh?” In a way that doesn’t have to do with immersion

Yes - again, you don't have to perform these kinds of mental gymnastics with e.g. the Death Star run. Words don't have to take on alternative meanings and characters don't have to make off-screen leaps of faith to make the plot go.

I also like TLJ, but that's because I like things that are interesting even if they're not entirely polished.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Kevin Palpatine posted:

Sharing a cell with Weinstein

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cloaking in star wars doesn't mean turn invisible it means hide from radar. All ships can cloak and are cloaked in Star Wars and if the First Order is looking for small ships they have to run declining this is not confusing unless you don't know what star wars cloaking is.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're cloaking the signals not the ships themselves.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cloaking_device ???

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Kevin Palpatine posted:

Ben Chickenwalker.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alternatively there's a cut scene where the master code breaker broke the resistances codes to reveal the ships which is why he has a huge stack of cash and a uniform.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EU is not canon

E: which is weird because we had opposite opinions on EU stuff about star craft 2 I think.

E2: but only because Disney said so. In Star craft 2 Blizzard explicitly says that all their licensed media is cannon as long as it doesn't contradict the games.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 30, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Turtlicious posted:

Cloaking in star wars doesn't mean turn invisible it means hide from radar. All ships can cloak and are cloaked in Star Wars and if the First Order is looking for small ships they have to run declining this is not confusing unless you don't know what star wars cloaking is.

All ships can cloak... and are cloaked?

ESB: "A ship that small can't have a cloaking device!"

Sounds like someone else doesn't know about Star Wars and cloaking!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milky Moor posted:

All ships can cloak... and are cloaked?

ESB: "A ship that small can't have a cloaking device!"

Erego cloaking means something else when talking about tiny transports.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are 2 ships in the universe shown to turn invisible. Darth Mails and Harkins, no one else can do it. So cloaking must have dual meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Turtlicious posted:

There are 2 ships in the universe shown to turn invisible. Darth Mails and Harkins, no one else can do it. So cloaking must have dual meaning.

what the gently caress is harkins

• Locked thread