Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Trick Question posted:

So, just picked up one of these for christmas along with Mario Odyssey. It's fantastic, but I'm looking for a few more games to fill out my collection. Can anyone recommend a couple games? Arcade or action would be preferred. I know Doom, Gungeon, and Shovel Knight are all great, but I already own those for other systems.

Zelda, Mario Kart and Splatoon are musts imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I am a giant piece of poo poo, and I primarily play the switch lying in bed. However sometimes my baby arms get tired or my neck gets sore after playing for more than an hour. (Yes I will die very young). So I wanted to get a stand and controller. A stand because the little kickstand that comes with the switch doesn't work well on a bed or resting on my body, and a controller because I'd like to have my arms in a more natural controller position and the little psuedo controller you attach the joycons to aren't that good.

So my question is: What is the best stand? And what is the best controller? Is it the pro controller?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Knifegrab posted:

So my question is: What is the best stand? And what is the best controller? Is it the pro controller?

Pro controller is best in terms of comfort and full functionality, the 8bitdo sn30 pro sounds a pretty good runner up for a bit less money, much better dpad, trading off for no nfc, no waking the system, and noisy rumble.

Stands, have you considered something like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AUQ33LG/ ?

Manky fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 30, 2017

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
BotW is a brilliant amazing experience and I absolutely love it

Skyrim is one of the worst blockbuster games I've ever played :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Homestar Runner posted:

BotW is a brilliant amazing experience and I absolutely love it

Skyrim is one of the worst blockbuster games I've ever played :shrug:

Haven't played many blockbusters huh.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Skyrim definitely has staying power with me (though VR is the only reason I am playing it yet again) but BOTW is the new hotness of open world games in that it only has things to do that are good and work well together.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Zelda, Mario Kart and Splatoon are musts imo.

I hate open-world games because you spend a lot of time doing very easy and boring but time-consuming poo poo. Is Zelda any different in that regard?
I don't have any friends that play video games, is Mario Kart okay alone?
I really dig the art style and music of Splatoon, but I was never able to get very deep into the game itself because I always find those online multiplayer team-based shooters sort of impenetrable. Is this one any different?

I remember being really envious of switch owners when I heard about Puyo Puyo Tetris. Is that game good enough to enjoy if you don't have anyone local for versus?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Who's the best character in Gungeon for a beginner to play as? I've been rolling the Convict and have gotten to the boss of level 2.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Strawberry Panda posted:

Who's the best character in Gungeon for a beginner to play as? I've been rolling the Convict and have gotten to the boss of level 2.

marine

he starts with a point of armor, innate better reload speeds and accuracy, and a free ammo drop (which completely restores the ammo of the equipped gun), and the pistol he starts with holds ten rounds.

worst character is the pilot. garbage pistol, mostly useless "discount" that shaves off a few casings for every item at the store, a terrible lockpick that either unlocks a chest or breaks the lock on it, but he gets the neat passive ability of being able to carry two active items.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
The Marine is the best imo because he has extra armor and shoots straighter.

I can make it pretty reliably to the 3rd floor, got to the 5th a few times even. 2 concerns though:

- Have you guys changed the control layout? I'm getting right hand cramps after playing 2 runs in a row.

- How do I detect/guess secret rooms?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Trick Question posted:

I hate open-world games because you spend a lot of time doing very easy and boring but time-consuming poo poo. Is Zelda any different in that regard?
I don't have any friends that play video games, is Mario Kart okay alone?
I really dig the art style and music of Splatoon, but I was never able to get very deep into the game itself because I always find those online multiplayer team-based shooters sort of impenetrable. Is this one any different?

I remember being really envious of switch owners when I heard about Puyo Puyo Tetris. Is that game good enough to enjoy if you don't have anyone local for versus?

I’m not a huge fan of open world games either but loved Zelda. The nice thing about it is that it can pretty much just do what you want to put into it. You don’t have to explore the whole world. You can technically complete it right after the first area. The design of the world is fantastic and never feels boring to me.

Mario Kart is fun alone and online. If you ever enjoyed any of the previous ones then it’s worth it since it’s light years better than any of them in gameplay, graphics, tracks and presentation. I have 100s of hours between the original MK8 on Wii U and now this better Switch version. I still can’t get enough.

Splatoon is probably the most accessible online shooter ever. In the main mode of the game, the goal isn’t even to get kills but to just cover the stage in ink.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I think the Pilot is tied with the Marine. The discount is actually pretty decent, and gets relatively bigger as the game goes on (because prices increase and it's a percentage discount), and the lockpick is great for any time you just don't feel like a chest/door is worth your key. Half of the time, you get whatever-it-was anyway!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well I just woke up from a nap to the sound of my switch falling off my hotel bed and onto the hard tile floor along with the iPad it was sitting on.

Not a scratch on either. Than you electronics Jesus.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I really enjoy Gungeon, and my son has been pretty keen on it too. His favorite game of all time is Binding of Isaac.

Hunter and Marine are the best early game characters, Pilot seems to come into his own as you get deeper in the dungeon but his starter pistol is the worst of all the characters, and I'm pretty awful with the Convict.

I'm up to around 70 deaths and still haven't completed a dungeon, although I can reliably get to the fourth level. Lately I've been trying to get to and beat the boss of the second secret level. It is a hard game but you get a lot better at it with practice. Once I stop dicking around trying out new items and try to beat it it shouldn't take me too long.

It's a great game on the go, I play it while I'm waiting at consignees for a couple of hours. It seems a little easier on the tv with the pro controller though. Also, it has pretty fun co-op.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Trick Question posted:

Yes, it adds a lot of frustrating survival game mechanics

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q7oJuyy5Ac

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The physics and ai interactions are top notch tho

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it has great animation. some of the best in any game

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Anyone have an opinion on if it’s safe to leave the switch in the dock long term?

Is it smart enough to not hurt the battery?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Kikkoman posted:

The Marine is the best imo because he has extra armor and shoots straighter.

I can make it pretty reliably to the 3rd floor, got to the 5th a few times even. 2 concerns though:

- Have you guys changed the control layout? I'm getting right hand cramps after playing 2 runs in a row.

- How do I detect/guess secret rooms?

1. I have blank mapped to right-stick and B/A are both mapped to interact, those are the only changes I've made

2. Using a gun that isn't a starting pistol, shoot the center of a wall a few times, if it starts to crack (and it'll get pretty big after a few shots) there's a secret room there. I think secret rooms are more likely to be connected to a room on the outer edge of the map, but don't quote me. Also obviously there has to be room for the secret room, so if you can see another room through the wall, there probably isn't a secret room there.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

mem posted:

I really enjoy Gungeon, and my son has been pretty keen on it too. His favorite game of all time is Binding of Isaac.

Hunter and Marine are the best early game characters, Pilot seems to come into his own as you get deeper in the dungeon but his starter pistol is the worst of all the characters, and I'm pretty awful with the Convict.

I'm up to around 70 deaths and still haven't completed a dungeon, although I can reliably get to the fourth level. Lately I've been trying to get to and beat the boss of the second secret level. It is a hard game but you get a lot better at it with practice. Once I stop dicking around trying out new items and try to beat it it shouldn't take me too long.

It's a great game on the go, I play it while I'm waiting at consignees for a couple of hours. It seems a little easier on the tv with the pro controller though. Also, it has pretty fun co-op.

Second secret boss is super tough, I beat him once for the unlock (which is a sweet loving item) and now I never go to that floor anymore. I always do the first secret floor when I have the extra keys for it, though, it's usually just free money and items basically because that giant blob is probably the easiest boss in the game

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The official lyrics to the ARMS Theme finally revealed:

https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/946927821531820032

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The official lyrics to the ARMS Theme finally revealed:

https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/946927821531820032

The song, much like the rest of the game, is very good!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
The idea of Skyrim on switch just makes me wish a better open world game like Witcher was on Switch instead

I actually considered buying Skyrim to play it like a 4th time on switch but luckily I've played it recently enough to remember that it's not actually very good

It's somewhat fun to listen to podcasts while dicking around in though.

Honestly if archery weren't such crap in base skyrim I still might do it, but the only reason I'd be buying it would be to use the motion aiming for archery and play a bow guy and there's not even headshots so it's not really the most interesting playstyle

Also, speaking of bad blockbusters, Skyrim was still better than Fallout 4

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Witcher 1 is not perfect for switch

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Skyrim is good, it has severe weaknesses but if you're willing to do some sandboxy Set Your Own Goals stuff you can have fun with it. We can like more than one game it's not a threat to breath of the wild.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
SimAnt please.

Mainly I want the HD Rumble experience of ants crawling around in my palms.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Mr. Amazon just delivered my switch pro controller and why the gently caress didn't I order this earlier.

I haven't even played with it yet. It's charging and it feels so good. Joysticks, button positioning. All feels so good.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Witcher 1 is not perfect for switch

Haha I've never played Witcher 1 and if you tell me any other human has I won't believe you

Some people have played 2 but I'm pretty sure 1 doesn't actually exist

Like finding someone who has played Street Fighter 1

Honestly I actually think the engine/gameplay of Skyrim is fine it's just the content is so bland and boring apart from a handful of things here and there

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Steamworld Dig 2 is surprisingly awesome. I enjoyed the first, but this one is so much more carefully designed. The areas are varied and traversal is quite fun as the power ups get collected. Has this game been picked up by speed runners yet? It seems like you could sequence break it in interesting ways.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
So I'm new to these last couple generations of Nintendo stuff, what's the word on amiibos? I've got a friend that offered to get me a couple, but do they actually do anything aside from sit on a shelf? I've heard that they can give some cosmetic items in games, do they unlock anything beyond that?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

So I'm new to these last couple generations of Nintendo stuff, what's the word on amiibos? I've got a friend that offered to get me a couple, but do they actually do anything aside from sit on a shelf? I've heard that they can give some cosmetic items in games, do they unlock anything beyond that?

What the amiibo does is game specific.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sentient Data posted:

Think of them as essentially multi-game DLC. Most games that support them have all amiibos give/do something generic and the ones produced for the game do something specific.

Ones like Link, Mario etc tend to be useful in multiple games while stuff like Bayonetta isn't.

Like, for instance, the way Hyrule Warriors on the WiiU worked. A Link Amiibo unlocks a unique weapon for Link. A Zelda Series Amiibo (Link, Zelda, Toon Link, Gannondorf etc) gave guaranteed better weapons/rupees. All other Amiibos give a random weapon or rupee.

Or in Breath of the Wild. The various Link Amiibos and Shiek unlock that Link/Shiek costume in the game and can spawn Epona/some unique weapons. The Twilight Princess Wolf Link Amiibo unlocks wolf Link as a tagalong buddy inside BOTW. All other Amiibos give you some in-game food drops.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So what was the thing about amibo cards?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Bob A Feet posted:

So what was the thing about amibo cards?

There are some amiibo cards. Almost completely Animal Crossing, except for one for Wii U Pokken. They work the same way: scan for goodies in some games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That Wolf Link thing in BOTW is so weird since when it was announced I was expecting the ability to also get generic dogs/wolves and train them to be your buddy. I still thought a way would show itself even 60 hours in since there’s so many kinds of wolves across the overworld.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

A stand because the little kickstand that comes with the switch doesn't work well on a bed or resting on my body

Maybe you need a pillow for your game console to rest on.

https://www.amazon.com/Hog-Wild-Peeramid-Bookrest-Navy/dp/B0019TGO6U

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wildtortilla posted:

I appreciate all the feedback regarding the games I am looking at. I ended up playing more Odyssey instead! I'm actually playing 3D world now... I never finished that so I'm working my way through the post game levels.

The movement in 3D World feels good but limited after spending so much time with SMO. There is no triple jump and obviously no hat moves. The ground pound high jump has different timing, you have to wait a moment after pounding until you jump. SMO is instant. There's also no crouch + jump back flip. I hope the next Mario game has the movement of SMO in a course driven game.

3D World is a different type of game from other 3D marios, as it's focused on platforming versus exploration, so I don't think they can really give you all the mobility options that SMO has without breaking the game.
I have no idea how they're going to top Odyssey in terms of mobility though, assuming you're not always going to have a sentient hat from now on.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

Get amiibos if you like the way they look. They're generally well made figures and include a lot of characters who don't really get merchandise. So if you want a tom nook or diddy kong figure go ahead.

The ingame benefits vary from novelty to somewhat useful but I wouldn't buy them for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sentient Data posted:

If you buy an amiibo, buy it because it's something you think would look cool sitting on a shelf, not because you want to use it in a game.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 30, 2017

• Locked thread