Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

if you read carefully i didnt say every building should have ground floor retail, because it obviously depends on the situation. manhattan is not a city that needs to encourage pedestrian culture, so it wouldnt make sense there. many other cities that grew a lot from 1950-1990 may have had laws discouraging mixed use development that they’re trying to reverse. requiring it in every building in a whole city is an extreme case that probably doesnt make sense, but thats what zoning is *for*. encouraging land use that is desirable and discouraging land use that is bad for the city as a whole. there are plenty of places where requiring retail in new commercial or residential buildings makes a city better, and adding zoning requirements for it in some areas is probably a great tool for that.

i have lived in manhattan, as i have already mentioned. you dont beed to explain to me that apartments in manhattan are expensive.

most parts of manhattan have plenty of ground floor retail within a block and plenty of outside of business hours usage, so they arent good examples of areas where requiring or encouraging it would be a high priority. this seems obvious but here we are.

"i don't think buildings should have to have it but i think it should be required" lmao

and yeah so you pretend you lived in manhattan, but you claim that location is "undesirable" because you couldn't immediately see retail on that short stretch of street. lol texas rots your mind

i don't see whats so hard for you to get here: in no place should street level retail be required for any given building. it is perfectly fine to have single purpose buildings. insistence that it should ever be required betrays that you're too used to cities that have nothing going for them (i.e. any place in texas) so you would desperately attempt to fake a working neighborhood by requiring the new buildings to have some retail space that will probably end up vacant often. because you want to cargo cult a real city that deserves to exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
also lol calling it "encouraging pedestrian culture" like you're some sort of space alien.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fishmech posted:

also lol calling it "encouraging pedestrian culture" like you're some sort of space alien.

if you get involved with city planning even offer stakeholder input for city planning you may encounter unfamiliar phrases. dont let it frighten you.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

rjmccall posted:

uber is telling people not to do it, it's an actual doctor who's (quite reasonably) telling people it's fine in all the situations where you'd take a taxi / bus / whatever to the hospital instead

calling an ambulance is asking for like four trained professionals to do nothing but pay attention to you for 20-30 minutes, that's not magically cheap just because of socialized medicine, it's just that you don't see a bill for it

Here in Canada an ambulance is $45 or $240 if you're not covered by OHIP (foreign visitor etc)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fishmech posted:

"i don't think buildings should have to have it but i think it should be required" lmao

and yeah so you pretend you lived in manhattan, but you claim that location is "undesirable" because you couldn't immediately see retail on that short stretch of street. lol texas rots your mind

i don't see whats so hard for you to get here: in no place should street level retail be required for any given building. it is perfectly fine to have single purpose buildings. insistence that it should ever be required betrays that you're too used to cities that have nothing going for them (i.e. any place in texas) so you would desperately attempt to fake a working neighborhood by requiring the new buildings to have some retail space that will probably end up vacant often. because you want to cargo cult a real city that deserves to exist

there are plenty of places where requiring it makes perfect sense. why don’t you try re-reading my earlier post more carefully.

i lived in chelsea, on 25th street between 7th and 8th ave. nice neighborhood with lots of desirable ground floor shops and places to eat. go down to the financial district and it sucks. new york may not want to make the financial district a pedestrian friendly place after hrs, and thats fine, but lots of other cities have neighborhoods that they’d like to make more pedestrian friendly and requiring ground floor retail, or at least offering incentives, makes a lot of sense in many many places. this is the whole purpose of zoning, encouraging one type of development over another.

lots of cities exist outside of manhattan. if you are only familiar with that one city, maybe you should travel more and see some other cities. then you might recognize that they dont all have the same needs, right now that seems to be confusing you.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
The Boston Neighborhood system still bugs me and I can't put my finger on why. It may be that Hyde Park is well over 30 minutes from downtown but still also within city limits, but maybe it's something else.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

this was a thing that surprised me when I visited a friend in Austin a few months ago. he was straight up living in the suburbs with a 30 minute commute to downtown but was still somehow in the city limits of Austin.

annexing surrounding areas is one thing that texas does well, so you dont end up with tiny cities with many different municipal governments that have to cooperate to get anything done on a larger scale, it does result in some pretty far out suburbs technically being part of the city, but it also rolls their tax revenue into the city budget.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

dude, just let it go. arguing with fishmech is like some sisyphus poo poo, except the rock is a turd, and the mountain is a pile of turds, and you're being punished for arguing with a turd

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

always remember that the Futurists (the original ones) were big ol fuckin capital-f Fascists

ezra pound much lmfao

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Here in Canada an ambulance is $45 or $240 if you're not covered by OHIP (foreign visitor etc)

have to imagine that the taxpayer is footing a pretty substantial part of the bill there still though

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

hifi posted:

in like a decade the phoenix metro area is going to be tucson-yuma-phoenix

is that how future people will pronounce 'abandoned: no water'?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DaTroof posted:

dude, just let it go. arguing with fishmech is like some sisyphus poo poo, except the rock is a turd, and the mountain is a pile of turds, and you're being punished for arguing with a turd

it's not a mountain

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

infernal machines posted:

it's not a mountain

oh. my. god. if you actually bothered to measure the elevation, it's obvious that

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

pescadomáq

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hello tech bubble thread

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

there are plenty of places where requiring it makes perfect sense. why don’t you try re-reading my earlier post more carefully.

i lived in chelsea, on 25th street between 7th and 8th ave. nice neighborhood with lots of desirable ground floor shops and places to etat. go down to the financial district and it sucks. new york may not want to make the financial district a pedestrian friendly place after hrs, and thats fine, but lots of other cities have neighborhoods that they’d like to make more pedestrian friendly and requiring ground floor retail, or at least offering incentives, makes a lot of sense in many many places. this is the whole purpose of zoning, encouraging one type of development over another.

lots of cities exist outside of manhattan. if you are only familiar with that one city, maybe you should travel more and see some other cities. then you might recognize that they dont all have the same needs, right now that seems to be confusing you.

there are 0 places where requiring retail storefronts makes any sense, let alone perfect sense.

so the place you lived was undesirable or what? you freaked out about east 19th having two apartment buildings next to each other without stores and claimed it was undesirable. also the financial district is perfectly pedestrian friendly so idk what you think you're talking about

if your city doesn't have the same needs as a real city its almost certainly an upjumped suburb, like all texas "cities" which are abominations unto the lord

TimWinter posted:

The Boston Neighborhood system still bugs me and I can't put my finger on why. It may be that Hyde Park is well over 30 minutes from downtown but still also within city limits, but maybe it's something else.

what. thats got nothing to do with neighborhoods or anything. and the furthest tip of it is only like 9.5 miles from the center of downtown. thats a perfectly reasonable place for the outlying extent of a city to be.

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

annexing surrounding areas is one thing that texas does well, so you dont end up with tiny cities with many different municipal governments

uhhhh what? texas is littered with tiny cities with many different municipal governments around and within all the major "cities". texas sucks rear end at annexation and leads to bizarre patchy borders and enclaves galore

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
:barf:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

TerminalRaptor posted:

I remember that Era, and was amazed they survived. It had to be late nineties, and I was looking at boxed copy of Wing Commander Armada with a fifty dollar price tag on it. The game had to be close to five years old at that point and just few shelves over they had those "gold classic" editions of games, among which was Wing Commander Armada with a ten dollar price tag on it. Little old teenage me was just stumped.

when I came back to the Bay Area in 2004, the MicroCenter over by Great America still had mid- and late-1990s Mac stuff, including ADB hardware, and an absolute ton of ancient books

one thing MicroCenter did to survive was close these stores and liquidate their inventory as their leases ended

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

The more buildings have ground floor retail and other things, the better it is to live and work in that area, which is why it should be encouraged.

I don't think you need to have it in every building and I never said that it should be required in every building - you seem to have trouble with reading comprehension.

don’t you understand? if fishmech agrees with you it’s like saying he was wrong, and being America’s Smartest Boy, fishmech cannot he wrong

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Oh, didn't you realize? Requiring ground-floor retail in all new construction in a particular location means that you want every single building there to eventually have ground floor retail. It's literally impossible to just want to increase the amount of ground floor retail by a little bit.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

eschaton posted:

don’t you understand? if fishmech agrees with you it’s like saying he was wrong, and being America’s Smartest Boy, fishmech cannot he wrong

his kidneys were wrong once - he had them torn out and replaced

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Wanted to aggregate all these into one post because they are :discourse:

DaTroof posted:

i will never stop refuting the notion that i've chosen the wrong hill to die on. this is technically a slope

DaTroof posted:

the mild degree of escalation alone is enough to disqualify this thing as a hill, and furthermore

DaTroof posted:

#notallhills

DaTroof posted:

according to merriam webster, a "hill" is defined as

DaTroof posted:

i can't believe people are still calling it a hill. uhhhh you've never seen a simple incline before? even when i approach it from this other angle, it's barely a mound

DaTroof posted:

oh. my. god. if you actually bothered to measure the elevation, it's obvious that

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

yes this was pretty much my point, thanks. it's not magically cheap, you just get it subsidized (at least $195 worth), and there are plenty of situations where even compared to the subsidized rate it would be perfectly reasonable to take a cab/train/bus

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

looks like this is the time of faililng upward

quote:

Just three months after Mike Cagney’s board ousted him amid allegations of sexual harassment, the founder of SoFi is already plotting his comeback.

Cagney has been approaching investors in recent weeks about a new fintech startup with a plan to raise about $25 million, according to multiple people familiar with his outreach. He has pitched investors such as Peter Thiel along with several others who were backers of SoFi, a company that Cagney pushed to become worth almost $5 billion.

The quick rebound has angered some industry observers and others close to Cagney, who only left SoFi on Sept. 15. Cagney was forced out after a series of damaging stories that detailed a workplace culture rife with alleged misconduct and improper treatment of women.

Cagney is starting the new company alongside his wife, June Ou, who previously served as SoFi’s chief technology officer, the people said. The company does not yet have a name and has yet to be publicly announced — Ou’s LinkedIn page says she will serve as the COO of a “#newCo.”

Cagney declined to comment Friday. Ou did not respond to requests for comment.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jabor posted:

Oh, didn't you realize? Requiring ground-floor retail in all new construction in a particular location means that you want every single building there to eventually have ground floor retail. It's literally impossible to just want to increase the amount of ground floor retail by a little bit.

its a dumb solution that doesn't work and just gets you a bunch of empty retail storefronts eyesoring up the place

this worship of having a place to buy things as magically making people want to shop at whatever store will actually set up there, if any, as the solution to living in a place like texas is hilarious cargo culting

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

TimWinter posted:

sounds like you've never heard of redlining before

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://mobile.twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/946818243800567808

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fishmech posted:

its a dumb solution that doesn't work and just gets you a bunch of empty retail storefronts eyesoring up the place

this worship of having a place to buy things as magically making people want to shop at whatever store will actually set up there, if any, as the solution to living in a place like texas is hilarious cargo culting

that's funny, i thought austin, a city that prioritizes mixed use development, had record commercial occupancy and record numbers of people moving there each day.

but you're probably right and that's all making it a less attractive place to live.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
the austin chamber of commerce says austin is open for business!

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

I can, as an expert, say that fishmech will refuse to admit that he is currently wrong.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i bought something from a store today

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

that's funny, i thought austin, a city that prioritizes mixed use development, had record commercial occupancy and record numbers of people moving there each day.

but you're probably right and that's all making it a less attractive place to live.

austin is a dumping ground for garbage people and garbage businesses movign people there so they can pay them less than real cities.

you might as well praise phoenix, it's "growing" even faster

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
stop arguing with america's smartest kid

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I once got a recruiter from Austin offering to pay me sixty thousand dollars less than I was making at the time because “the cost of living is lower” and that was the top of the range listed for the position

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I like laughing at Austin as much as the next guy, but not everywhere can be SF or NY, nor should they try to be.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol texas is the only state where your job is allowed to not carry workman’s comp insurance

fortunately they’ve done a really good job of making abortion illegal there so that they don’t run outta workers for the dangerous chemical plant jobs

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I worked for Fry’s for 8 years, from 2001 to 2009. There’s three things keeping them in business

1) They’re a private company and the Fry brothers are rich as gently caress
2) They own all the land their stores are built on.
3) They finally got their website working

They built out these stores just off freeways and in business parks so they don’t have to deal with strip mall rent, The Fry brothers still have money from the Fry grocers sale that they are playing around with and don’t have to disclose financials.

Place is circling the drain for sure though. When I started they opened 1-2 new stores a year and the last one they opened was in Fishers, Indiana in 2006ish. They took nearly all their full height aisles and turned them into half-height aisles so hide their lack of stock. They removed half the registers in my local stores and replaced the entire camcorder display with ... tents? They sell camping tents and treadmills now?

But really they finally got their lovely coldfusion outpost.com website working well enough that it’s probably starting to pump more money back into their company and keep the retail division afloat. When I left in 2009 they had JUST got the ability to process Fry’s.com returns in-store.

Their stores are just way too big though. Microcenter stores seem to be the right size (and i prefer to shop there anyways)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FCKGW posted:

I worked for Fry’s for 8 years, from 2001 to 2009. There’s three things keeping them in business

Their stores are just way too big though.
never been to a microcenter, but yeah. The only Frys I went to often was actually an Incredible Universe back in the mid 90s, which made more sense for the size. (This is the one near Sacramento/Roseville). Then Frys bought them out but it was still a cool Wonka-esque place to visit as a kid because it was so big and filled with poo poo. Now its mostly empty yeah past few times Ive been, it could easily be <25% of the size but too late.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i went to my metro microcenter a couple weeks back. needed a cat5, bought a cat5. feels good man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I like laughing at Austin as much as the next guy, but not everywhere can be SF or NY, nor should they try to be.

yeah but if you want people to move away from those areas you have to do better than “this calculator I found on a webpage says this is roughly similar”

tech weenies make lots of money in the bay area because their work can generate an outsized crapload of revenue and it’s one of the only markets where companies have to compete for workers instead of vice versa, people don’t get paid more because it’s expensive, it’s expensive because people get paid more

your work doesn’t have less value because you happened to do it in texas

• Locked thread