Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

uber_stoat posted:

Uhh Yeah Dude and Chapo are both independent, ad free, and they manage to tour. I'm sure they have reps behind the scenes but they aren't on the big networks. Doughboys makes more per month than UYD does.

If UYD went to a $5/month and at least 2 bonus non live episodes a month I’d bet they would double their money.

It’d be very interesting to find out what sort of money the really popular non patreon podcasts make. The expectations to produce more than one episode a week may convince enough people they don’t want to do it.

Using a network to deal with all of the logistics makes sense to me. Lots of these people have other gigs and the last thing they want to do is run a business around their podcast. Despite people begging to be on the show, I’m sure booking it is a pain in the dick.

The feral model of doing both ad supported and patreon supported content is probably a really good approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
THE dough boys need to be on a podcasting network because the idea that this show would be released in any format other than an hour long iPhone voice memo without 3rd party help does not seem realistic to me.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Also I’m pretty sure the Patreon thing is a bubble basically created by it being a new model & there being no market compition with existing, extremely popular podcasts.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
One other thing to note is that the Doughboys have a big enough audience that they can negotiate the terms of a p'cast network deal. It's one thing to be a complete nobody starting a show, but the Doughboys have enough listeners that a network might eat most of the normal costs of running the show in order to gain more listeners overall. If MaxFun or anyone else offers them a good enough deal, they'll probably go with that instead of dealing with hiring/managing people and running things by themselves.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Know Such Peace posted:

One other thing to note is that the Doughboys have a big enough audience that they can negotiate the terms of a p'cast network deal. It's one thing to be a complete nobody starting a show, but the Doughboys have enough listeners that a network might eat most of the normal costs of running the show in order to gain more listeners overall. If MaxFun or anyone else offers them a good enough deal, they'll probably go with that instead of dealing with hiring/managing people and running things by themselves.

Except they threaten to quit constantly.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

n8r posted:

Except they threaten to quit constantly.

They also threaten suicide

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The boys transferred their podcast feed to Libsyn. Earwolf and Headgum both use art19, so it appears they are going either MaxFun or independent.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Know Such Peace posted:

The boys transferred their podcast feed to Libsyn. Earwolf and Headgum both use art19, so it appears they are going either MaxFun or independent.

Got to be independent since I don't the MaxFun shows have patreons.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

Got to be independent since I don't the MaxFun shows have patreons.

They don't, but all Maxfun shows still retain full ownership by the creators so if they were moving there they wouldn't have to shut down the patreon.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

https://twitter.com/doughboyspod/status/946911486236016640

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Srice posted:

They don't, but all Maxfun shows still retain full ownership by the creators so if they were moving there they wouldn't have to shut down the patreon.

yea Maxfun is extremely good about giving creators freedom as long as they're down with very basic things like 'help with the pledge drive', it'd be the first but it wouldn't be nuts if they were able to join and keep their patreon going.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Going through the doubles slowly & I got to say if all their movie thoughts are as obviously stupid as "make the statesmen gay southern dandies" they should def. pivot to film.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

https://twitter.com/doughboyspod/status/947911424583409664

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Hahaha, that's pretty great

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Way after the fact, but gotta say that the Doughboys were extremely wrong on Ale 8-One: This bad boy's a Drank.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
They also should've changed the facial expressions for the new logo. They look too happy.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Gargamel Gibson posted:

They also should've changed the facial expressions for the new logo. They look too happy.

that's a good idea, actually. just slowly update the logo over time as their bodies and minds deteriorate.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
https://mobile.twitter.com/doughboyspod/status/948998630924365824

Doughboys are independent 'for now' and will make a final decision in the coming weeks. The two Texas shows will be released later this month.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Going through Doughboys withdrawals.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Mitch was on High and Mighty. He and Gabrus both promised to lose weight.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

https://twitter.com/BobbyLibby/status/948999099558309888

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Know Such Peace posted:

Mitch was on High and Mighty. He and Gabrus both promised to lose weight.

drat, that was a hard to listen to episode.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

The High and Mighty Promise

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
It was really revealing, especially for an episode of High and Mighty. The part where they talk about having to lose weight just to become a 'regular big ugly guy' was pretty dark. I was also touched hearing Gabrus explain his disappointment at learning that Chris Farley struggled with his weight instead of embracing it. They are both around the same age that Farley was when he died as well. I hope they keep up with the promise and get healthy, but they both have a long history of yo-yo dieting.

I need some more Bug Mane on the show to lighten the mood.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

mitch is a dumb guy

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think Wiger was on to something about how Mitch went to see TLJ with noted Star Wars haters/skeptics.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Popete posted:

I think Wiger was on to something about how Mitch went to see TLJ with noted Star Wars haters/skeptics.

mitch is every guy who goes to film school and spends the rest of his life thinking that he's tapped into critical film objectivity when he likes the things he likes from when he was young and happy that appealed to him.

mitch is one of the most fascinating fictional characters

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I figured Mitch would have liked TLJ because it almost spent its entire running time making GBS threads on everything JJ tried to set up.

Hearing him quietly fume in the background while Drew went about defending the film was pretty fun.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
This ep sounds like it'll be Mitch at his worst, not sure I should even listen

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like Mitch, I think he brings up some decent points that the others agree with. But I do think he likes being contrarian about Disney Star Wars and seeing it with Bug Mane and other Star Wars haters probably cemented it in his mind. It feels like most of his problems with the movie are nit picky things and it comes off as "It's not the original trilogy".

He should have seen it with Wiger.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The best is Mitch complaining that the guest was brought in as a ringer because he had intelligent points to make about the film instead of "this poo poo was dumb."

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Popete posted:

Jack Allison is an incredibly toxic person and his influence on Mitch's poor pudding brain is super-evident; I hope they never have him back on the show.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Mitch may be wrong about Star Wars, but he is absolutely right about Ham Dinner.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Popete posted:

...."It's not the original trilogy".
I didnt listen to this episode yet but from previous episodes I'm not even sure at this point that he likes the original trilogy, just the prequels.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

JethroMcB posted:

Mitch may be wrong about Star Wars, but he is absolutely right about Ham Dinner.

People who don’t like ham are not to be trusted. Ham is fuckin good.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Mitch loves the original trilogy, which is I-III.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

cams posted:

mitch is a dumb guy

i think mitch is good

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

little munchkin posted:

i think mitch is good

mitch is good but also dumb

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

little munchkin posted:

i think mitch is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I don't understand why he has to like the new Star Wars. You guys realize that the Disney corporation doesn't need your stalwart defense right?