Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Who the hell is this baby Phoenix Wright has been with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This is why I prefer Gramarye shows, absolutely no murderous drama and no one involved is an rear end in a top hat.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I don't know, there's been some dark rumors floating around about them, too. You ever notice how you never see Mr. Reus and Thalassa around any more?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This is pretty fuckin eerie you guys; I'm on vacation in Japan right now and there's a whole crazy murder case around a magician murdering a circus ringmaster too. I suppose that's where the similarities are gonna end since Japan's judicial system is much worse than America's and leans heavily in favor of judging all suspects guilty.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Argue posted:

This is pretty fuckin eerie you guys; I'm on vacation in Japan right now and there's a whole crazy murder case around a magician murdering a circus ringmaster too. I suppose that's where the similarities are gonna end since Japan's judicial system is much worse than America's and leans heavily in favor of judging all suspects guilty.

So, basically like the justice system before Phoenix Wright showed up?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Well there was that huge crime wave those years ago.

It could be worse, I hear some place in Asia they've outright gotten rid of all the defense attorneys.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Well there was that huge crime wave those years ago.

It could be worse, I hear some place in Asia they've outright gotten rid of all the defense attorneys.

That sounds awesome actually. Though I hear all their trials are ghost bullshit now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fangz posted:

That sounds awesome actually. Though I hear all their trials are ghost bullshit now.

Didn't we learn our lesson about that with the DL-6 clusterfuck? Whatever went down there anyway. Guess the dead aren't necessarily reliable witnesses.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Fangz posted:

Okay that makes no loving sense and you know it. They tried using a spirit medium to solve a crime in Los Angeles bloody 16...? 17 years ago? and like every other 'police 'psychic'' she got it wrong. It was in the papers.

An entire justice system based on charlatans like that? Do they also weigh the defendant against a duck?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Inescapable Duck posted:

Didn't we learn our lesson about that with the DL-6 clusterfuck? Whatever went down there anyway. Guess the dead aren't necessarily reliable witnesses.

I’m not sure those guys got the memo...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gotta break kayfabe for a moment

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/946905727192444929

I'm taking this as tacit confirmation of the 123/456 collections on Switch that were rumored.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wouldn't be too shocked if AA7 is a thing. Two years between main games has been mostly a thing. Just doing a ton of collections would be cool, tho. Maybe even DGS...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

phoenix wright finally marries edgeworth...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wouldn't be too shocked if AA7 is a thing. Two years between main games has been mostly a thing. Just doing a ton of collections would be cool, tho. Maybe even DGS...

I mean, the COO of Capcom basically said that AA7 would be coming out for Switch in fiscal 2018 a month or two ago. It's just that there have also been the collections rumored on top of that. Personally, if they wanna keep to their Summer JP/Fall EN release schedule, I'd imagine a formal announcement within the next month or two. It'd be a shorter promotion cycle than usual, but I'd imagine it was in development for 3DS at first and they needed some time to pivot to Switch when Capcom decided to back this horse.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, the COO of Capcom basically said that AA7 would be coming out for Switch in fiscal 2018 a month or two ago. It's just that there have also been the collections rumored on top of that. Personally, if they wanna keep to their Summer JP/Fall EN release schedule, I'd imagine a formal announcement within the next month or two. It'd be a shorter promotion cycle than usual, but I'd imagine it was in development for 3DS at first and they needed some time to pivot to Switch when Capcom decided to back this horse.

I love these games about reading things and putting 2 and 2 together via what you learn by reading. I should've used that reading skill to read the article.

Can't wait for whatever does get released, i'm down for much of anything at this point. And a friend pointed out that January Direct would be a good time to announce it.

2018 is gonna be so good. I hear that Labrelum is working on some dope-rear end experiment, I know a guy on fb who's signing up for it. I bet medical science will take leaps.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Wright Vs. Layton 2

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I actually liked the Phantom from AA5 - I loved his breakdown, when the Remains of the courthouse started crumbling around him as he frantically tried to remember his true face. "Was it... this one? No nono.... this one? Aaahhh... This Thisthisthis" as he cycled through every character in the game was inspired.

Edit: My takes on the series as a whole - spoilers for all the games except the Steampunk Sherlock one abound.

I see the series as an ongoing story with a certain narrative flow, so do not mind the Dark Age of the Law stuff, even though Phoenix's mistake in AJ does suck as an instigating event.

In the Phoenix trilogy, it's a foundation-building arc

Phoenix takes the worst examples of the current legal system, Edgeworth and Franziska, and pulls them into the light, helping them to find what Miles refers to as the Prosecutor's True Path - the pursuit of the Truth above all else. They both start in the Von Karma mindset, get guilty verdicts regardless of the consequences, but Miles doesn't take long to come around because that mindset hurt him in the long run years ago, so he finds it easier to abandon - however Franziska was always Manfreds Golden Girl, he never did anything like that to her, so it takes longer to break her out of that toxic mindset. Franziska joins Interpol and becomes an example to Shifu, and Edgeworth becomes Chief Prosecutor.

This, alongside Phoenix dethroning the likes of Redd White, Damon Gant and Von Karma himself, pave the way for Attorneys and Prosecutors to work together, likely inspiring the nicer prosecutors, who also form a parallel like Edgeworth and Franziska, namely Klavier Gavin and Simon Blackquill - both interested in finding the truth from the beginning, but Simon plays harder than Klavier because he wants his opponents to beat him, and earn their stripes, so he acts the rear end in a top hat compared to Klavier's softer demeanor.

However, between the third and fourth games, Phoenix screws up big time and gets disbarred for forging evidence - enter the Dark Age of the Law. Suddenly, defense attorneys like Kristophe are given an excuse to really be poo poo, because even the unassailable force of Good Phoenix Wright is known to cheat now, so more and more toxic people start being churned out with the idea that the ends justify the means. Here the Apollo Trilogy begins. Suddenly the situation is reversed, and the foundation starts to struggle to remain as strong as before, as meaner attorneys are born out of necessity, like the kind-of-rear end in a top hat-if-no-one-stepped-in character of Hugh O'Connor and Total Sociopath Kristophe Gavin, and Softer Prosecutors are starting to struggle to keep up. However Apollo fights to reverse the course, and then Athena joins the fray, with their good natures rebalancing the whole situation - then Phoenix gets his badge back and is able to join the pushback against the Dark Age, alongside formerly-toxic Sebastian DeBeste finally finding his feet due to Edgeworth vowing to be the one who helps him find his path and the Academy losing it's evil Headmaster and no longer infecting the legal system with bad lawyers on both sides.

Then the 7th game adds a new parallel, with Sadhmadhi and Reyfa - both characters raised under the Kura'in banner, but Reyfa starts having a severe crisis of conscience for sending innocent people to their deaths and actually starts asking Phoenix and Apollo to tear her arguments to shreds as she want there to be no shadow of a doubt that they have the right person, while Sadhmadhi doubles down due to a combination of being an rear end in a top hat and his fear for his sister's safety. Apollo manages to end Kura'in's on Dark Age of the Law, and stays to build his own foundation.

That's how I see the overall flow of the narrative so far.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 30, 2017

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013

leather fedora posted:

Wright Vs. Layton 2

That would make me happy for sure. As long as they can write a good last case.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I loved the most recent two games, but they really weren't using Allegro enough at the end of cases. Having major reveals followed by a Moderate cross examination just felt wrong. Should've been like the final case in T&T where the last 6 or so used Allegro

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

:stare: so, there's a bunch of hosed up stuff about the circus trial. Wright got the not guilty verdict, of course, because the culprit brought the murder weapon with him to the trial. This is some Florida Man kinda wacky poo poo we got going in LA..

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's a reason circuses are dying out.

By the way, I just got my tickets to the Hero of Heroes Grand Prix in March. Cost a drat arm and a leg.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Noooobody likes the circus trial.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Waffleman_ posted:

There's a reason circuses are dying out.

By the way, I just got my tickets to the Hero of Heroes Grand Prix in March. Cost a drat arm and a leg.

Try to get Will Powers autograph I heard he's going to be there.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Man I wish I could go. :sigh:

What’s Powers been up to since The Steel Samurai ended, anyway?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Will Powers is the cutest guy in the series, so weird that in-game he's considered career-ruiningly fug :(

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ChaosArgate posted:

Man I wish I could go. :sigh:

What’s Powers been up to since The Steel Samurai ended, anyway?

Well he was the Pink Princess for a bit and then I think he ended up as a guy in a bunny suit on some kid exercise show.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Will Powers is the cutest guy in the series, so weird that in-game he's considered career-ruiningly fug :(

May just be the whole Asian vs. Western standards of attractiveness. He definitely falls on the Western side of things (huge, hairy), so I can see why the game would frame him as unattractive.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Some people just don't like bears

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

Some people just don't like bears

but not all people are salmon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

havenwaters posted:

Try to get Will Powers autograph I heard he's going to be there.

Hey, it's at the hotel across from Wright's office, maybe I could get his. Hell, I think Powers might have him as his +1.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm glad the circus survives, they have a new animal trainer (In training) I like.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
He was my favourite character in that game - his animations were amazing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey, it's at the hotel across from Wright's office, maybe I could get his. Hell, I think Powers might have him as his +1.

You should double check your tickets. The event's at the Gatewater Imperial, not the one near Wright.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

drat, I forgot there were two Gatewaters in town. Well, at least that weird bellboy won't be around.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

drat, I forgot there were two Gatewaters in town. Well, at least that weird bellboy won't be around.

I've heard they're working on an amusement park for some reason. Seems weird for a hotel chain but what do I know.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Can someone explain the Hero of Heroes Grand Prix to me? All I can see is that the HoHGP from last year was won by the Pink Princess and this year Global Studios is putting up Nickel Samurai in the contest, but, won't Nickel Samurai have 4 episodes out at most by then?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Can someone explain the Hero of Heroes Grand Prix to me? All I can see is that the HoHGP from last year was won by the Pink Princess and this year Global Studios is putting up Nickel Samurai in the contest, but, won't Nickel Samurai have 4 episodes out at most by then?

:ssh: It’s all rigged anyways.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

busysignal posted:

That would make me happy for sure. As long as they can write a good last case.

Not gonna happen, iirc Capcom and Level-5 hated working with each other.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If Jammin' Ninja doesn't take it I swear

I mean certainly I'd prefer Onyankopon to win but it's all insider politics so there's no chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fractalairduct posted:

Not gonna happen, iirc Capcom and Level-5 hated working with each other.

Whoever wrote the ending was the one who was wrong.