Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I have all of the Star Wars books up to the Yuuzhan Vong. In elementary school, Star Wars and the Chronicles of Prydain were what got me into sci fi and fantasy. I'm sure a lot of sci fi/fantasy folks have very questionable book choices on their shelves from their earlier days.

Edit: I'm reading that thread BOTL quoted jivjov from and things get even more extreme, though I have to say trying to shame someone for a hobby that doesn't hurt themselves or anyone else is sort of lame.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Lyon posted:

I have all of the Star Wars books up to the Yuuzhan Vong. In elementary school, Star Wars and the Chronicles of Prydain were what got me into sci fi and fantasy. I'm sure a lot of sci fi/fantasy folks have very questionable book choices on their shelves from their earlier days.

This is what crawl spaces are for.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Lyon posted:

I'm sure a lot of sci fi/fantasy folks have very questionable book choices on their shelves from their earlier days.

Earlier days not so much, current days very much yes.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
All sci fi is questionable since everything goes back to the 60s and 70s when it was still niche and the geeks writing this stuff didn't feel the need to keep their sexual proclivities under wraps :v: Now we're stuck with this industry where the frathouse behavior is still common but now it's getting greater scrutiny. Which makes it all the more baffling that Rothfuss hasn't been targeted by Twitter outrage to be honest.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

HIJK posted:

All sci fi is questionable since everything goes back to the 60s and 70s when it was still niche and the geeks writing this stuff didn't feel the need to keep their sexual proclivities under wraps :v: Now we're stuck with this industry where the frathouse behavior is still common but now it's getting greater scrutiny. Which makes it all the more baffling that Rothfuss hasn't been targeted by Twitter outrage to be honest.

Frat-house behavior isn't very common in authors I read, and I read KU tier Military Sci-fi, Lit-RPG, and a gloat of epic fantasy. When I do find a book that's doing it, it feels very aware that's it's awful and just has fun with it, rather than being oblivious too it like Rothfuss's stuff is.

Like I don't have a problem that Kingkiller is wish fullfilment garbage I read that stuff myself and actually it's why I thought I was going to like this book because I enjoy a good old self-insert dunking everyone stories while getting all the ladies. I have a problem with it's readerbase and author acting like it's some literary piece when it's not, partially because that implies that it's not okay to be genre trash.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
jivjov :kimchi:

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
he may be infuriating at times but i cannot dislike the man

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Aside from races, DnD owes a lot more to Jack Vance than it does to Tolkien

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

HIJK posted:

Sci fi began in the 1960s and is bad because the authors are sex criminals, and not because they're cretins who can't write. what a blistering hot take

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

A human heart posted:

Sci fi began in the 1960s and is bad because the authors are sex criminals, and not because they're cretins who can't write. what a blistering hot take

i baked it in the oven for 6 hours on 350

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

What's wrong with Prydain?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

What's wrong with Prydain?

Nothing as far as I know, I love Prydain. I haven't read it in years though so I'm not 100% sure how they held up. I seem to remember it teaching good solid morals and fairly progressive ideologies. I didn't mean to link them together in terms of quality just as my entry point into sci fi and fantasy respectively.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Iucounu posted:

Aside from races, DnD owes a lot more to Jack Vance than it does to Tolkien
And God bless 'em for that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Anyone interested in an opportunity to combine Penny Arcade fans, all things Patrick Rothfuss, and two hours of live action roleplaying?

https://tabletop.events/conventions/td-at-pax-south-2018

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Anyone interested in an opportunity to combine Penny Arcade fans, all things Patrick Rothfuss, and two hours of live action roleplaying?

Isn't this basically an escape room with an extra layer of cruft?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Atlas Hugged posted:

The fact that it takes place "inside the Fae" and involves meeting a "popular character from Pat's world" leads me to believe this is a sex dungeon.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

PJOmega posted:

Isn't this basically an escape room with an extra layer of cruft?

I think they try to conform to LARP rules, like you can get killed in the event and you have stats and other such nonsense.

Lightning Lord posted:

The fact that it takes place "inside the Fae" and involves meeting a "popular character from Pat's world" leads me to believe this is a sex dungeon.

Hopefully the character will be played by Rothfuss himself!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Lightning Lord posted:

If your going to make money for charity off of prostitution so be it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

If your going to make money for charity off of prostitution so be it.

They're donating less than 10% of ticket sales. For $38 you could get a sad blowjob from a decent looking hooker or a decent blowjob from a sad looking hooker. Either would probably be more enjoyable and wouldn't take nearly 2 hours.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Solice Kirsk posted:

They're donating less than 10% of ticket sales.

And the majority of that 10% will be eaten by administrative fees. Charity is a scam.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Atlas Hugged posted:

Hopefully the character will be played by Rothfuss himself!

You wanna gently caress Rothfuss? :yikes:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

They're donating less than 10% of ticket sales.

That is crazy. Who do they think they are, NFL Breast Cancer Awareness merchandise?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Lightning Lord posted:

You wanna gently caress Rothfuss? :yikes:

I spent money on his book so I figure fair is fair.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Don't waste your time on a rothfuck.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm testing the predictive keyboard app from Botnik studios.

The university was more luminous than the sky farthest from ignorance. Once I looked pointedly at the heart of books, I left wondering, goddamn boyish.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Interlude — About All Things

The Waystone Inn lay in stories, and I’m in stories. Magic of iron things was still blowing about the room.

Kote shrugged and looked speculatively at chronicler. ”I heard about two disparate tricks for channeling power ” he began rather testily as if warming the first fire of his voice for demons inside ice. ”With some satisfaction I saw the first: black stone beneath metal. Then the next night I drew the other: ash and all these accolades that I figured my father would have called nice stories.” he gave a faint smile. Chronicler dropped several layers of iron and nodded solemnly.

“And he would pluck something resembling a dozen swords spinning through my mother’s softly gentle drafts. I learned to keep fresh meat in her. My parents breathed humor and forgotten songs. I was robbed of these things before I was extraordinarily interesting. The Chandrian were a dozen performers that showed me that the stories paint scenery with blood" Kote sighed smugly and looked expectantly at Chronicler. “With the knowledge that followed quickly after, I realized numbly the wind continued without pausing. Only sign of my early noble steps."

Chapter Ten-thousand: History and When Nothing Happened

I tried with marginal conviction to think something resembling dramatic discussions as the wagon hit a long man with eyes that watched me with dark severity for a couple hours. He spoke crisply as if to a hundred stars glittering like golden coins. ”I heard that Kvothe Kingkiller was a malicious thing curiously bigger than anyone could know.”

I gave a slow nod. “And he killed with an unnatural room filled with eighteen rocks and dread hundreds of sicknesses.” I said dryly. “I am not pleasant.”

The man nodded thoughtfully. “The rocks were no good to these people. I learned the same way that you might have guessed. They belonged me. I have developed heroes and kings. I have bothered the Order of Engineering. I demonstrated animals to the mayor. I was never caught tickling the farmer of storm lumps. I went to bed with the Earl of Stew and let his mouth aroma into the root of my virtue. I don’t love books worth the price, devices of author’s addled brain, or the road that ran through ages.” He looked through my face.

“I am you."

Chapter Sixty Pounds: Black Leather

I finally pulled his shirt off as the puppets re-emerged from their cases. As Kvothe the Old gingerly finished with his fingers, I realized why his face changed with the dark. ”Earl of Stew! It was magic that pigs had!” I said calmly. The man I thought briefly to be the old Shadicar from the distant time to be cleaned up the tables with exaggerated care. Then he tugged off and began polishing the little cudgel I had introduced into the nameless void of the night. He leaned forward imperiously.

“I could feel my story told thoughtfully and wings of grease rattled through the trees. They chose the innkeeper" he said ominously.

I tried to burn quick. “I am not what you think— ”

He spoke quickly. “Lips spinning stories before putting them together " he said. "There are signs that showed themselves with your channeling of the wind. Three days ago I was coming close to completing a mythical geometric beard for the character of Ben. My curiosity throbbed like wasps in my Wydeconte. ”

“Ben’s bells! You're that arcanist stain from his prettier socks” I said evasively without inflection that would kill mountains themselves. He demonstrated to me what the difference is between amusement and judgment. They were the same.

“Fires dim in drunks.” The old burlap poet chuckled. “Lore with living memory is the troupers’ hero. I’m Soren and the duke baby as well. ”

“And the constable outside town? No wonder...” I said to the reasonable fellow. Then his head slowly pulled away from the room and he took out a handful of kings.

“I suppose you could have the whole purse. A true beginning” he said with some satisfaction. I held the first in my hand and nodded. I perfectly cut off a piece with my string of iron.

“The wind will break through the Arcanum and all folk will thank me that the Chandrian are particularly unhealthy and nauseous with a thousand smells from the room of glittering sharp stone” I said with grim efficiency. But the real magic was friendship from me.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 29, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:eyepop:

Favorite line: "And he killed with an unnatural room filled with eighteen rocks"

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
"Chapter Ten-thousand: History and When Nothing Happened" is my favorite :allears:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

But the real magic was friendship from me.
:ranbowdash:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

"My parents breathed humor and forgotten songs. I was robbed of these things before I was extraordinarily interesting."

“"And he killed with an unnatural room filled with eighteen rocks and dread hundreds of sicknesses.” I said dryly. “I am not pleasant.”"

"I went to bed with the Earl of Stew and let his mouth aroma into the root of my virtue."

"He demonstrated to me what the difference is between amusement and judgment. They were the same."

These are all amazing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Hey some new posts in the thread I wonder wh...

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I went to bed with the Earl of Stew and let his mouth aroma into the root of my virtue.

:yikes:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Come And See posted:

"My parents breathed humor and forgotten songs. I was robbed of these things before I was extraordinarily interesting."

This is actually great

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

This thread is like the written form of that pretentious douche from Good Will Hunting that gets slammed on by Matt Damon. Biggest circle jerk ever with no redeeming discussion on a bad book. Thread should be closed and stop taking up TBB space.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Who is Matt Damon in this scenario? The Earl of Stew?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

latinotwink1997 posted:

This thread is like the written form of that pretentious douche from Good Will Hunting that gets slammed on by Matt Damon. Biggest circle jerk ever with no redeeming discussion on a bad book. Thread should be closed and stop taking up TBB space.

JivJov, you didn't need to rereg to throw in your hot take.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

latinotwink1997 posted:

So in this comparison, you're Matt Damon?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

latinotwink1997 posted:

I agree, and the other threads about bad books should also be closed

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

latinotwink1997 posted:

Except this time the Matt Damon expy starts making GBS threads his pants and running around in circles screaming "I'M THE WINNER YOU CAN'T PROVE OTHERWISE"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
This thread has been scraping along on fumes since the first page because there's nothing left to talk about until Pat drops his next novella about a side character in 2023.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm digging the predictive text writings. I tried playing with it, but wasn't getting anything good. I don't think I know how to use it or something.