Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Protip: Sell your limbs to passing Chinese mercenaries, then ask the insurance company to pay out for a traumatic injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Ataxerxes posted:

I remember reading about a battle involving Romans who had a number of slaves fighting for them and had promised freedom to every one who could produce the head of an enemy. This caused some slaves to stop fighting in order to collect a head and the Roman commander reacted by stating that he would free them all if they won, in order to keep them fighting. Dunno if this every actually happened, but makes for a good story.

yeah something like that, and I thought it had already come up in this thread.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Don't forget about the time Bellisarius got his rear end kicked because the Roman peasants he'd pressed into service got distracted by picking up shinies.

Edit for content: Bellisarius once got his rear end kicked because the Roman peasants he'd pressed into service got distracted by picking up shinies.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Raphael is cool but crude, mods please fix.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

gowb posted:

Raphael is cool but crude, mods please fix.

Gimmie a break!

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Can we at least agree Michelangelo is a party-dude?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

A far-out party dude, if the texts are correct.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Soldiers stopping or breaking battle lines to loot was an issue with a lot of pre-professional armies.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

One of the origin stories for the red hand of Ulster - the heraldic symbol of a province 2/3rds in Northern Ireland and 1/3rd in the north of Ireland - starts with a swimming race, with the first one to touch land winning rulership of the territory. Several warriors start out far from shore, including Niall of the Nine Hostages. Niall is apparently a pretty lovely swimmer, so when they get close to the beach he's lagging behind. Being a badass in areas not involving water sports, Niall lops off his hand and hurls it onto the shore, touching the province first by a technicality and winning the kingship. Or supposedly, being that he's a legendary king and all of this is probably made up. But the other origin stories for the symbol aren't nearly as metal.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

gowb posted:

One of the origin stories for the red hand of Ulster - the heraldic symbol of a province 2/3rds in Northern Ireland and 1/3rd in the north of Ireland - starts with a swimming race, with the first one to touch land winning rulership of the territory. Several warriors start out far from shore, including Niall of the Nine Hostages. Niall is apparently a pretty lovely swimmer, so when they get close to the beach he's lagging behind. Being a badass in areas not involving water sports, Niall lops off his hand and hurls it onto the shore, touching the province first by a technicality and winning the kingship. Or supposedly, being that he's a legendary king and all of this is probably made up. But the other origin stories for the symbol aren't nearly as metal.

Got that red hand on my family's coat of arms. :slick:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I can't believe people spoke about cutting off dicks for three pages without mentioning the time when it happens in the Bible:

1 Samuel 18:25-27 posted:

Saul replied, “Say to David, ‘The king wants no other price for the bride than a hundred Philistine foreskins, to take revenge on his enemies.’” Saul’s plan was to have David fall by the hands of the Philistines.

When the attendants told David these things, he was pleased to become the king’s son-in-law. So before the allotted time elapsed, David took his men with him and went out and killed two hundred Philistines and brought back their foreskins. They counted out the full number to the king so that David might become the king’s son-in-law. Then Saul gave him his daughter Michal in marriage.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Red Bones posted:

I can't believe people spoke about cutting off dicks for three pages without mentioning the time when it happens in the Bible:

Let he who hath never traded his daughter for a bag of dicks cast the first stone

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Kassad posted:

Any idea why this one Pharaoh gave that order?

Amenhotep II was an aggressive badass. He was buff and tall, with a bow he boasted only he could pull. When his tomb was found, he still had the bow with him. A couple days later locals broke in and stole it and many other things. His tomb was used as a mummy cache, with other pharaohs and their families put there in the 21 D to protect them, after they'd been stripped of most of their gold. Tutankhamun's grandmother was found there, for instance.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Nth Doctor posted:

Got that red hand on my family's coat of arms. :slick:

I'm informing the IRA.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Khazar-khum posted:

Amenhotep II was an aggressive badass. He was buff and tall, with a bow he boasted only he could pull. When his tomb was found, he still had the bow with him. A couple days later locals broke in and stole it and many other things. His tomb was used as a mummy cache, with other pharaohs and their families put there in the 21 D to protect them, after they'd been stripped of most of their gold. Tutankhamun's grandmother was found there, for instance.

Then you have Sensuret I who called himself "the throat-slitter of Asia". He also had his enemies names' written on clay pots and then he ritually smashed them before going to war.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Then you have Sensuret I who called himself "the throat-slitter of Asia". He also had his enemies names' written on clay pots and then he ritually smashed them before going to war.

wow today i learned that zelda was based on real history

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

During WW I the british needed to camouflage their horses when they fought in Africa. This is what they came up with:

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

gowb posted:

wow today i learned that zelda was based on real history

Zelda's character was named after F Scott Fitzgerald's wife, so that's not too far from the truth.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Alhazred posted:

During WW I the british needed to camouflage their horses when they fought in Africa. This is what they came up with:

Is that a horse or a donkey? I know some horse breeds come small, but that doesn't look much like a horse to me

aardwolf posted:

Zelda's character was named after F Scott Fitzgerald's wife, so that's not too far from the truth.

e: Um, nice try. Zelda is the video game. F Scott Fitzgerald's wife was actually called Link

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

F. Scott Fitzgerald had it rough. On the one hand, his wife was into small penis humiliation, whereas he himself was more into having his friends tell him that his dick was adequately sized.

The above is actual true history, at least according to Hemingway.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Is that a horse or a donkey? I know some horse breeds come small, but that doesn't look much like a horse to me

Uh, that's obviously a zebra.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Krankenstyle posted:

The above is actual true history, at least according to Hemingway.

So a total lie then!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Trabant posted:

So a total lie then!

Probably, but one that is well told. For what it's worth, A Moveable Feast is at least nominally supposed to be autobiographical.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Roman deities generally only communicated with humans via dreams, visions, prophecies or a complex system of divination employed by augurs or haruspices to find out what the gods' will was. All of these venues of communication tended to be pretty cryptic, obviously, and for ancient Romans it was a matter of fact that it took professionals to be able to read and interpret these divine signs. Exceptions to this were rare: once, a voice emanated from the temple of he goddess Juno and commanded the sacrifice of a pregnant sow; another instance is even more interesting. When in the early 4th century BC invading Gallic tribes threatened to attack the city of Rome itself, an unknown divine voice uttered very clear words of warning in everyday Latin to random passersby. Roman historiography is unclear about the details of that incident - one tradition holds that a certain Marcus Caedicius once walked down the Via Nova at night, when he suddenly heard a voice commanding him to inform the Senate that a Gallic attack was imminent. Another tradition (probably the older one) speaks of the voice coming from the sacred grove of Vesta, ordering that the city's defences were to be raised. In any way, the warning wasn't heeded and the city was ravaged by the attackers. As penance, the Senate ordered that a temple were to be built to that unknown god who was only known as Aius locutius, which might roughly be translated as "spoken affirmation", "the act of speaking" or simply "the voice". Its cult eventually died out again, and today we don't know anymore where the temple might have stood, but for centuries the Romans venerated a god whose name they didn't know, who had revealed itself exactly once and (as Cicero quips) who, after being dubbed "the voice", never spoke again.

Another fascinating tidbit of Roman religious practice was the ritual of evocatio, which they occasionally observed during he early days of the Republic. This ritual was used when the Romans besieged an enemy city and involved a ceremony where they tried to lure out the city's patron deity, promising it a more dignified and proper worship in Rome itself provided it stopped protecting the city. When the Romans eventually emerged victorious, they would loot the deity's temple and transport its relics and other sacred objects to Rome, where a lavish temple for this god was built as reward for its betrayal. An amazingly dickish way of warfare :allears:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

System Metternich posted:

Roman deities generally only communicated with humans via dreams, visions, prophecies or a complex system of divination employed by augurs or haruspices to find out what the gods' will was. All of these venues of communication tended to be pretty cryptic, obviously, and for ancient Romans it was a matter of fact that it took professionals to be able to read and interpret these divine signs. Exceptions to this were rare: once, a voice emanated from the temple of he goddess Juno and commanded the sacrifice of a pregnant sow; another instance is even more interesting. When in the early 4th century BC invading Gallic tribes threatened to attack the city of Rome itself, an unknown divine voice uttered very clear words of warning in everyday Latin to random passersby. Roman historiography is unclear about the details of that incident - one tradition holds that a certain Marcus Caedicius once walked down the Via Nova at night, when he suddenly heard a voice commanding him to inform the Senate that a Gallic attack was imminent. Another tradition (probably the older one) speaks of the voice coming from the sacred grove of Vesta, ordering that the city's defences were to be raised. In any way, the warning wasn't heeded and the city was ravaged by the attackers. As penance, the Senate ordered that a temple were to be built to that unknown god who was only known as Aius locutius, which might roughly be translated as "spoken affirmation", "the act of speaking" or simply "the voice". Its cult eventually died out again, and today we don't know anymore where the temple might have stood, but for centuries the Romans venerated a god whose name they didn't know, who had revealed itself exactly once and (as Cicero quips) who, after being dubbed "the voice", never spoke again.

Another fascinating tidbit of Roman religious practice was the ritual of evocatio, which they occasionally observed during he early days of the Republic. This ritual was used when the Romans besieged an enemy city and involved a ceremony where they tried to lure out the city's patron deity, promising it a more dignified and proper worship in Rome itself provided it stopped protecting the city. When the Romans eventually emerged victorious, they would loot the deity's temple and transport its relics and other sacred objects to Rome, where a lavish temple for this god was built as reward for its betrayal. An amazingly dickish way of warfare :allears:

Okay so you could just hide out in some place with a proper echo and tell random people poo poo and they'd believe you're a god. That's kinda cool.

Imagine the ancient roman equivalent of 4chan catching on to that idea.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I think what's remarkable about it is that it's the exception that proves the rule. As System Metternich said, the Romans had a pretty complex relationship with divinity and numerous ways for determining the 'legitimacy' of any given dynamic. They didn't just have cults popping up overnight because someone heard coughing from a smouldering bush - but once something is seen as 'legitimized', the superstitious bastards will honour it like you wouldn't believe. Presumably there were tonnes of people trying the disembodied voice routine, but only one was lucky enough to presage an actual attack on Rome. And then the Roman existential dread kicks in and you have a cult for centuries.

Also, the "stealing other cities' deities" trick never struck me as particularly dickish, it just seems more a reflection of the Roman ego, their religious fanaticism, and also works out being a pretty pragmatic way of justifying looting enemy temples, the treasures of which can be brought back home and used as collateral for emergency war-time loans.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tbh i wanna know which other ways of communicating with humanity there are for deities (aside from dreams, visions, prophecies, & complex systems of divination)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

tbh i wanna know which other ways of communicating with humanity there are for deities (aside from dreams, visions, prophecies, & complex systems of divination)

Making a human woman pregnant with your god-baby seems to be surprisingly common in several religions.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh poo poo

i suppose it can be called communicating a weird god-fetus into a woman

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Krankenstyle posted:

Devastating floods are usually a pretty clear sign that they're mad with you. Or just that they'd like you to turn down the music.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

floods and other forces majeures dont count, they affect a ton of people so how can you know god is talking to you specifically?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Angels are popular proxies for God in many religions.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Krankenstyle posted:

floods and other forces majeures dont count, they affect a ton of people so how can you know god is talking to you specifically?

Well, you said "with humanity".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yea i guess i did

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Stealing patron deities was probably a very smart move to lower morale and resistance in conquered cities, depriving them of a literal idol to look to.

I recall hearing that the deification of the Emperor himself may have been adopted to appease Egyptian subjects used to a god-king.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Definitely. Pre-christian European deities often had a physical component. Islamic diplomats mention a certain tree in Sweden that was important in Norse paganism. There's also supposed to have been a place on the Heligoland island (hence its name, "holy land"). Et cetera.

Anyway check out the first christian bishop of Denmark literally toppling the manifestation of the Slavic deity Svetovid/Svantevit.

What an rear end in a top hat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hell, look at the Crusades, Christians aren't immune to getting materially attached to things and places important to their religion to the point of being willing to make war to 'take them back'. (or at least use that as an excuse for conquest and plunder, but aren't they all)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i read somewhere, and its probably not true, but you are supposed to be able to build more than one cross from all the splinters in various reliquiae

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Krankenstyle posted:

i read somewhere, and its probably not true, but you are supposed to be able to build more than one cross from all the splinters in various reliquiae

There were also multiple of Jesus's foreskin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The joke is more that you could add up all the splinters and you'd have a forest, and absolutely accurate. Crusaders were a pretty credulous bunch. See also bones of saints and feathers from angels, and sometimes the Virgin Mary's milk.