Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

pr0craztinazn posted:

Total cost spent on supplies from Home Depot thus far: $2.61.

Oh no, something is horribly wrong. You should probably go do two laps just to satisfy the home repair gods. Drive there, park, enter, swear, exit, home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Hooray. Deal is back on, and I’m getting early access to my new place tonight. Movers lined up for the day after Christmas.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Picked up keys yesterday. Most likely buying immediately before the market slows or goes back a bit, but it’s a house and area we can live in for 5-10 years quite easily and we were pretty conservative with what we borrowed so not too worried.

It’s a corner subdivision, which means some utilities list us on one street, and some on the other, while our mailing address is on the street we have no frontage to, so I’m sure that will end up being fun.

Now to decide whether we want to paint the walls and polish the floorboards before moving everything in or just lay down and collapse for a bit over the holidays, wedding, honeymoon and out first house all happening since the end of October has us a bit drained.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

H110Hawk posted:

Oh no, something is horribly wrong. You should probably go do two laps just to satisfy the home repair gods. Drive there, park, enter, swear, exit, home.

The three most important components of any home repair ritual are staring, swearing, and blood sacrifice. The blood should come from the knuckles unless there is a more severe finger injury you are willing to sustain in order to ensure success.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

Now to decide whether we want to paint the walls and polish the floorboards before moving everything in or just lay down and collapse for a bit over the holidays, wedding, honeymoon and out first house all happening since the end of October has us a bit drained.

Do it now or accept it will never get done. An empty house is the best motivation to do walls and floors.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

What are people's experiences with Redfin like?

At first I liked the idea because they aren't commissioned (or so they say). After working with three different agents though, I realized that all three subtly (but clearly) tried to nudge me towards new constructions rather than older houses. It definitely felt fishy.

Then again I'm super new to house hunting so I don't know anything. Maybe newly built is better. From what I've seen though, price per square foot tends to be a lot higher with new houses, and they always tend to be smaller too.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

enraged_camel posted:

At first I liked the idea because they aren't commissioned (or so they say). After working with three different agents though, I realized that all three subtly (but clearly) tried to nudge me towards new constructions rather than older houses. It definitely felt fishy.

Then again I'm super new to house hunting so I don't know anything. Maybe newly built is better. From what I've seen though, price per square foot tends to be a lot higher with new houses, and they always tend to be smaller too.

As a seller they were horrible. I fired my Redfin agent after 4 weeks. They screwed up the listing resulting in our house only showing on Redfin and then refused to pay for a second open house once the listing was properly on MLS and added to Zillow/Trulia’s feed. The really bad part was that I got a lowball ($60k under list) offer. The Redfin agent didn’t speak to the buying agent any more than to tell them I declined. After my new agent re-listed the house the same buyer came out of the woodwork and we were able to quickly negotiate a sale at $9k under list. Yes they came up $51k and my Redfin agent was too dumb/lazy/stretched thin to even try. He could have had the sale.

I know you’re asking as a buyer but I’ve heard that their agents are sometimes servicing more than 100 clients simultaneously. I wouldn’t recommend them.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

enraged_camel posted:

We bought our first home last year through Redfin. Our agent was great, and very quick to respond to questions. He gave us peace of mind during the whole process. Seems like opinions on them are varied, but using them worked out well for us.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

enraged_camel posted:

I don't have any experience with Redfin, but New Construction is a mixed bag, you get to customize (typically) what's going into the house to some degree and it is (supposed) to be entirely up to code and with modern assumptions built into the design (such as the number of outlets, which can be an issue in older houses). However the flip side of that is some percentage of all new housing is going to just be made by poo poo builders doing a quick job to turn a profit and leave before any issues are found (this was always true, but the old lovely houses all fell apart by now) and there's also going to be issues that you're only going to run into in a new house that are going to have to be corrected (for instance, when our house was new the basement kept flooding because of the drainage patterns, so it needed swales added to redirect the water). Often times they'll get the cheapest parts as well (such as, an HVAC system that is more or less intended to die right after the warranty period is over-- "builder grade" isn't a stereotype for nothing).

In general Real Estate Agents don't get anything more from a new house vs an existing house, but I don't know if Redfin does anything differently.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Steampunk Hitler posted:

I don't have any experience with Redfin, but New Construction is a mixed bag, you get to customize (typically) what's going into the house to some degree and it is (supposed) to be entirely up to code and with modern assumptions built into the design (such as the number of outlets, which can be an issue in older houses). However the flip side of that is some percentage of all new housing is going to just be made by poo poo builders doing a quick job to turn a profit and leave before any issues are found (this was always true, but the old lovely houses all fell apart by now) and there's also going to be issues that you're only going to run into in a new house that are going to have to be corrected (for instance, when our house was new the basement kept flooding because of the drainage patterns, so it needed swales added to redirect the water). Often times they'll get the cheapest parts as well (such as, an HVAC system that is more or less intended to die right after the warranty period is over-- "builder grade" isn't a stereotype for nothing).

In general Real Estate Agents don't get anything more from a new house vs an existing house, but I don't know if Redfin does anything differently.

Yeah, the agents in Austin have been recommending houses built by MX3 Homes. I don't know anything about them but the houses I've checked out didn't exactly impress me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Old construction you get the benefit that the 3 people who owned it before you have done between negative and positive amounts of maintenance. Negative being :grovertoot: and positive being "we hired a respectable roofer to replace ours at 30 years before it sprung a leak."

If I had my choice I will never buy a house under 25 years old. You can retro in a lot of modern convenience, finding all of the construction defects, builder grade crap, and settling surprises are way more work.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Kinfolk Jones posted:

We bought our first home last year through Redfin. Our agent was great, and very quick to respond to questions. He gave us peace of mind during the whole process. Seems like opinions on them are varied, but using them worked out well for us.

Yeah we had basically the same experience buying with Redfin in 2016.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A buyer's agent probably assumes (correctly) that negotiating a sale with a developer is way easier than negotiating a sale with a private owner. The private owner is more likely to be a pain in the rear end. From the agent's perspective, a smooth low-effort sale is always better.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Redfin is like any other real estate brokerage firm in that you will find excellent agents and terrible agents. They have decent internal review systems, and if you complain they should get you a new agent.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Steampunk Hitler posted:

They do when they're getting kickbacks from the builder. This is a thing that I know for a fact happens around my area at the least.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
LOL yeah that happens everywhere. My agent told me she got a gigantic discount on her place and she'd talk up or try to sell other neighborhoods built by that developer as a result.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is there a way to download the MLS as a spreadsheet?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Lmao I just got a text from my agent. The seller agent told the sellers she's expecting us to close before the end of the new year. The lender hasn't even received the official appraisal yet. We have February 1st close date on our contract.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 27, 2017

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there a way to download the MLS as a spreadsheet?

Redfin let me export to csv

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sepist posted:

Lmao I just got a text from my agent. The seller agent told the sellers she's expecting us to close before the end of the new year. The lender hasn't even received the official appraisal yet. We have February 1st close date on our contract.

Send back a revised offer of your earnest money, no contingencies, and Jan 31 close. Offer to pay in a duffel bag of singles.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh crap, it looks like people are actually working this week. We're going to have our commitment letter done by Wednesday, so I guess we'll be closing a bit early. I was hoping to save until the end of January to have some extra cash on hand

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sepist posted:

Oh crap, it looks like people are actually working this week. We're going to have our commitment letter done by Wednesday, so I guess we'll be closing a bit early. I was hoping to save until the end of January to have some extra cash on hand

If the contract is for Feb 1, can’t you make them wait?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe. I think realistically were looking at the 3rd or 4th Wednesday in January because they still need to make 2 repairs after we have a commitment letter so that's not actually as bad as I thought.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Make it the 5th Thursday in January.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
The seller has accepted a closing date of January 38th

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
So just as we were supposed to close, turns out the title company screwed up and asked for the wrong amount to close, and now it's being pushed to next week. Ugh. Anything I can do in this situation? I'm already pissed about having to cut another cashier's check to cover their mistake.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

So just as we were supposed to close, turns out the title company screwed up and asked for the wrong amount to close, and now it's being pushed to next week. Ugh. Anything I can do in this situation? I'm already pissed about having to cut another cashier's check to cover their mistake.

When my title company hosed up and delayed my closing by a week, they refunded all their fees to me.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Tyro posted:

When my title company hosed up and delayed my closing by a week, they refunded all their fees to me.

Did you just yell at the title company until they offered?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

interrodactyl posted:

Wire the money instead. Probably the same price as the check. Or ask the teller very nicely if they can waive the fee because sob story.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

Did you just yell at the title company until they offered?

Nope, they knew I was pissed and offered it to me without me asking. I don't remember if it was direct or through my realtor. But at the actual closing they gave me a check.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

H110Hawk posted:

Wire the money instead. Probably the same price as the check. Or ask the teller very nicely if they can waive the fee because sob story.

Yeah...they need $86k more than they asked me to send initially. Wire limits are all around $25k so I'm SOL.

Tyro posted:

Nope, they knew I was pissed and offered it to me without me asking. I don't remember if it was direct or through my realtor. But at the actual closing they gave me a check.

Well, I'll try yelling at them and see how it goes. What's the point of paying a title company to do their job if they're not going to do it right?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I definitely wired more than 25k not sure what limit you are talking about.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mandalay posted:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

interrodactyl posted:

Yeah...they need $86k more than they asked me to send initially. Wire limits are all around $25k so I'm SOL.

Call your bank, that's an arbitrary guard your bank is imposing to prevent oops draining of your account. If you tell them it's for a mortgage they should let it through.

Edit: you are thinking ACH/e-check. Wire transfers are different. They are instant and more or less non-revokable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mandalay posted:

Very.

The Sock
Dec 28, 2006
I put an offer on a house and it was accepted. We are getting more quotes on loans to compare costs and one of the lenders called and said that Fannie/Freddie may not require them to do an appraisal? We are putting 20 % down and have around 800 credit score, if that matters. If it is not required, should I skip it and save $400 or am I missing something?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Sock posted:

I put an offer on a house and it was accepted. We are getting more quotes on loans to compare costs and one of the lenders called and said that Fannie/Freddie may not require them to do an appraisal? We are putting 20 % down and have around 800 credit score, if that matters. If it is not required, should I skip it and save $400 or am I missing something?

Our fannie/freddie refi used an automatic valuation model. Possible yours will too. Unless appraisals are really behind in your area it's only 2ish days to get one done.

The Sock
Dec 28, 2006
Yes, I believe they said it was automatic. I’m not worried about the timeframe, just if we need to pay one if it isn’t required by the lender?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Sock posted:

Yes, I believe they said it was automatic. I’m not worried about the timeframe, just if we need to pay one if it isn’t required by the lender?

Certainly don't order your own. If the lender wants one they will handle it (and bill you.) email them to confirm they are handling it.

You order inspections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Focus on getting Loan Estimates from lenders. Clock is ticking. A LE is a standard document.