Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ItBurns posted:

This would be relevant if the apps ever actually installed so they could be uninstalled and if it didn't revert to that state every time I reboot, chap.

Are you talking about this setting, that should have said "ads" rather than "suggestions"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I bought a new SSD for my desktop. I don’t wanna do a clone, I wanna do a clean install for reasons (this Windows install was my first in a while and I probably played with too many “tweaks” and “optimizations” all of which are detrimental, probably, or at best do nothing).

Will Windows complain if I unplugged the old SSD (just to make it fool proof so I don’t accidentally format it or something), plugged in the new SSD and installed Windows on it, and then connected the old SSD to an under SATA cable? In my head I imagine booting it onto the new install, and then manually copying over important files from the old SSD, and then formatting the old SSD to use as extra storage.

I’m just not sure if Windows will complain about licenses or the fact that I’ll have two Windows installs on the same key on two different hard drives. Or hell, if the new SSD/Windows install would be able to read stuff from the other SSD?

e: I like enabling show hidden files but there’s some files that I just don’t want to see ever. On Windows I don’t ever want to see “desktop.ini” or “NTUSERDATA.whatever” because I’m not even sure what those are but they are everywhere. I’m assuming they are the Windows version of macOS “.DS_Store” files. Anyway is there a way to blacklist hidden files that match some kind of regex or simple wildcard expressions?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 30, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Windows won't complain about another install using the same license being on a different disk in the same machine. At most you might have a bit of trouble making sure it's the new install that boots and not the old one.

File Explorer actually works with two levels of hidden-ness. There are the files and folders with the Hidden attribute, those are "level 1", and then there are those with the System attribute, those are "level 2". The files you mention are all marked as System. Go enable the "Hide protected operating system files" setting again in Folder Options, for once I agree with the (Recommended) label it has. It's not difficult to toggle off again if you do need to work with one of those files.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ghostlight posted:

Grindcore is complaining about Microsoft-bundled apps that are baked into the core Windows image and have to be removed with Powershell.

That's right. I deployed 10 on a home office machine, and it seems bizarre that apps like Xbox can't be removed without powershell.

It's simply that the all apps menu is cluttered with garbage.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 30, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Don’t all of those apps come back whenever Windows updates?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

They have after every big update for me, but I'm still holding out hope.

What's the deal with Windows LTSB?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 30, 2017

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

nielsm posted:

Are you talking about this setting, that should have said "ads" rather than "suggestions"?

no

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

They have after every big update for me, but I'm still holding out hope.

What's the deal with Windows LTSB?
It's has no features (like apps), is hard to purchase privately, and is ostensibly designed for machines that aren't going to be connected to the internet for long periods of time. You will, however, never receive a feature update.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ah, thanks. I've been reading about it and it's a shame it's subscription only, or I'd try it out.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I picked up one of the 'Mixed Reality' headsets recently (unwanted Christmas gift, more fool them). Is there a thread for VR outside the one in Games? That one's unsurprisingly just videogame opinions and Rift/Vive debate.

Not reviewing it here or anything but at the price I got it this thing is amazing, tracking is flawless and it works great on my ancient computer. Sure is nice only using one cable to set it all up!

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I took the official MS Group Policy spreadsheet (for Windows 10 & Server 2016) and sorted it by modifications I make to a fresh installation. Granted, these are personal preferences I make on a non-domain installation, but the majority of the settings deal with turning off things you likely don't want turned on in the first place. Anyone is free to download it to an XLSX, open it, clear the filters and see all of the other settings (including their locations within the registry.) Keep in mind, this is for Windows 10 Professional (or greater) because you have to use the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) which isn't in Windows 10 Home. However, many of these settings will still work if you edit the corresponding registry entries within Windows 10 Home.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TMnfAW-kMXkiwnNRAGydgFYuSNW3C9JjyAGdgJG5k7U/edit?usp=sharing (left-click on "Administrative Templates" along the bottom to see the changes)

I also have a PowerShell script that modifies unrelated registry entries. Mostly UI changes such as changing Computer to launch to "My PC" instead of "Quick Access", disabling the lock screen, etc. I do it for the sake of automation so I don't have to go pointing and clicking through various UI menus.

I typically do the Group Policy changes, then a program like O&O ShutUp 10 (with the default recommended settings), then the PowerShell script on a fresh installation.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 1, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thats pretty cool. Thanks for that.

Does that O&O program have any proof its hacks work?

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 1, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

uvar posted:

I picked up one of the 'Mixed Reality' headsets recently (unwanted Christmas gift, more fool them). Is there a thread for VR outside the one in Games? That one's unsurprisingly just videogame opinions and Rift/Vive debate.

Well, what else is there? The resolution isn't high enough yet for them being a decent desktop monitor replacement, as much as I'd love it to be, and won't be for a year or two more when 2nd gen headsets start releasing.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Any tips and tricks to reformatting a Win 10 PC on a SSD drive? I haven't reformatted a Windows computer since 7. Dunno if anything has changed. Does Windows remember my mobo and I don't have to re-input my serial?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Housh posted:

Any tips and tricks to reformatting a Win 10 PC on a SSD drive? I haven't reformatted a Windows computer since 7. Dunno if anything has changed. Does Windows remember my mobo and I don't have to re-input my serial?

Usually you can just use the reset feature to return your install to defaults. There's no real need to reformat unless you think your system got hit with a rootkit or something. You can even tell it to keep your files if you want, or wipe the whole thing entirely. It's in settings -> Recovery -> Reset this PC.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Rexxed posted:

Usually you can just use the reset feature to return your install to defaults. There's no real need to reformat unless you think your system got hit with a rootkit or something. You can even tell it to keep your files if you want, or wipe the whole thing entirely. It's in settings -> Recovery -> Reset this PC.
The only reason I am reformatting is because I cloned an OS drive to a bigger drive but its got a whole bunch of broken shortcuts and stuff from programs installed on the other drive. I figure the registry is super gross by now. What would you recommend?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Housh posted:

The only reason I am reformatting is because I cloned an OS drive to a bigger drive but its got a whole bunch of broken shortcuts and stuff from programs installed on the other drive. I figure the registry is super gross by now. What would you recommend?
The reset thing has an option to wipe everything. This is as good as a clean install.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Housh posted:

This sounds rather like either you had only a partial clone, or that you need to change the volume letter on a separate data drive back to where the shortcuts go. Did you have 2 separate drives in that computer before, and now have those two and a third new drive that you moved windows to?

You might want to double check that everything copied over.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

fishmech posted:

This sounds rather like either you had only a partial clone, or that you need to change the volume letter on a separate data drive back to where the shortcuts go. Did you have 2 separate drives in that computer before, and now have those two and a third new drive that you moved windows to?

You might want to double check that everything copied over.
I had a small drive as my OS drive and a larger drive with my games and applications. I ended up cloning the small OS drive and taking it out of the computer then using the larger games/apps drive as the new OS drive. I should have uninstalled all the games and apps before hand but didn't so I have all these shortcuts to nowhere. Ew.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Housh posted:

I had a small drive as my OS drive and a larger drive with my games and applications. I ended up cloning the small OS drive and taking it out of the computer then using the larger games/apps drive as the new OS drive. I should have uninstalled all the games and apps before hand but didn't so I have all these shortcuts to nowhere. Ew.

You should be able to manually adjust your shortcuts to just be C:\whatever

This software allows you to mass change a bunch of shortcuts to a different drive letter: http://jacquelin.potier.free.fr/ShortcutsSearchAndReplace/

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

fishmech posted:

You should be able to manually adjust your shortcuts to just be C:\whatever

This software allows you to mass change a bunch of shortcuts to a different drive letter: http://jacquelin.potier.free.fr/ShortcutsSearchAndReplace/
Presumably after the small drive was cloned over it, the games aren't going to be present on the current C: either.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yes. I never reinstalled the games and don't plan to with most of them. Is there a program that cleans this up or should I just reset?

Can I reset without it touching adobe cc and office?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Goddamn, despite disabling "Suggestions" in my start bar Windows 10 keeps stuffing ads in there for lovely free games. Is there some other option to turn these things off?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Less Fat Luke posted:

Goddamn, despite disabling "Suggestions" in my start bar Windows 10 keeps stuffing ads in there for lovely free games. Is there some other option to turn these things off?

I don't get that, but I disabled suggestions on the lock screen and they sneaked back in.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Those settings get reset every time you upgrade. Because Microsoft.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Housh posted:

Yes. I never reinstalled the games and don't plan to with most of them. Is there a program that cleans this up or should I just reset?

Can I reset without it touching adobe cc and office?

This little program will search through your Start Menu, Desktop, and any other places you choose to find all your broken shortcuts, and delete them if you want:

http://www.xp-smoker.com/bad_shortcut_killer.html

Don't think it's been updated in years, but it works fine.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I wish they would let me choose a display name when my account is a Microsoft account instead of forcing me to use my real name.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You gave your real name to microsoft? :rip:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I told cortana to gently caress off, and it shut down :3:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

uvar posted:

Not reviewing it here or anything but at the price I got it this thing is amazing, tracking is flawless and it works great on my ancient computer. Sure is nice only using one cable to set it all up!

Which one did you pick up?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Just unboxed my new Windows machine and Windows 10 keeps freezing about 15 mins after startup. No idea what could be causing it. I have 16GB of ram, so I don't think it's a memory leak issue. It's just freezing with no indication of what's going wrong....weird.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Sounds a bit like hardware if you've only just unboxed. Start by checking the CPU fan is actually spinning, and the heatsink is properly attached

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

dud root posted:

Sounds a bit like hardware if you've only just unboxed. Start by checking the CPU fan is actually spinning, and the heatsink is properly attached

They both look fine. I did put new memory into the machine when i got it, so i’m doing diagnostics on my memory cards now. Edit: looks like there’s nothing wrong there

Other than that, i am seeing a bunch of Google results for Windows 10 freezing. gently caress this sucks

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 4, 2018

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grump posted:

Just unboxed my new Windows machine and Windows 10 keeps freezing about 15 mins after startup. No idea what could be causing it. I have 16GB of ram, so I don't think it's a memory leak issue. It's just freezing with no indication of what's going wrong....weird.

I had (and still have) the same problem right after installing the fall update.

It freezes about every 7-10 days or so.

Apparently it's just a thing, as you found out on Google.

I updated both my bios and installed new chipset drivers, but it didn't help.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

It’s definitely not a normal thing and I honestly don’t remember a time when my windows 10 install just froze up.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is Windows Defender starting to suck? I'm seeing false positives lately on random poo poo from Steam. One a week ago and another one from tonight. The first time I submitted it to some online scanner and everything but Defender said it was clean. It eventually stopped bugging me about it, I guess they removed the false positive. Now it's bugging me about random files from Dota 2, so I verified the game's integrity just to make sure it was clean and it's freaking out when I redownload the files straight from Valve.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

brylcreem posted:

I had (and still have) the same problem right after installing the fall update.

It freezes about every 7-10 days or so.

I updated both my bios and installed new chipset drivers, but it didn't help.

I’m gonna try reinstalling windows and then put the original memory back inside.

If that doesn’t work, i have no idea

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My 10 box has been on for just over a month. 7700K, Z270, overclock, etc

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Grump posted:

if you bought a boxed computer then RMA the thing, the one reason to buy a dell or whatever is so you don't have to individually diagnose what part is hosed up when it's busted

brylcreem posted:

bitch please it's not just a "thing"

plenty of results on google but there were also plenty of results on google about dead alternators when my alternator went out, doesn't mean the normal state of an alternator is dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
otoh redeyes you probably want to give up your precious uptime and take a windows update for once, seeing as the one coming out later today is gonna be the thing that prevents your CPU from being owned by the Meltdown fiasco