Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Reading up on shipping losses during WW2 and came across

:stonklol:

Wow, this must have been a lot of the inspiration for “Life of Pi”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MrMojok posted:

Wow, this must have been a lot of the inspiration for “Life of Pi”

My favorite part of Life of Pi is just how many Richard Parkers get lost at sea.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

drgitlin posted:

At the same time, engineers are disproportionately likely to be creationists and anti-vaxxers compared to every other STEM discipline. https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Salem_Hypothesis

You might know some good ones but the data don’t lie.

I'm not seeing any data on that page, just a few anecdotes on a wiki.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 29, 2017

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
The Big Red One had Kasserine, with infantry getting literally overrun in thier holes by panzers and such.

Looks like Sniper Elite 3 also has a KP mission, but that's somewhat less likely to be "historical".

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I remember Ken Burns' WW2 in colour taking up Kasserine Pass, which made a big impression on younger me. You could literally hear the surprise and pain all over again in the US veterans who related participating in the pass battle itself.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Also, what parts of it are bullshit? I've read through them but nothing jumped out at me as totally false.

Oh, nothing egregious, just sea-story type stuff, like the Spanish at the Battle of Manila Bay firing miles over the heads of the US fleet; in actuality the US fleet opened fire beyond the range of the Spanish, the Spanish rounds fell short until the US closed the range. And things like "It is because the chemical elements of Altair are different, and in their burning give off differently colored flames," or the bit about catching a shark by hooking a remora, letting it attach itself to a shark, and then hauling in both. And you're definitely not getting "pure white silver" from scraping a copper-sheathed keel, no matter how long it's been sitting in the ocean.

Stuff like that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phanatic posted:

the bit about catching a shark by hooking a remora, letting it attach itself to a shark, and then hauling in both.

stupid but true
http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/10.1086/279716

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

drat missed holiday fascist chat.

Re: the prevalence of DDay in cinema: it’s the same reason the battle of the bulge is also over represented. They’re iconic battles that were both celebrated at the time and in post war commemoration and they really easily fit a cookie cutter dramatic plot: first act where you establish the human stories of the characters a d do some background buildup, second where everything goes to hell and ultimate success looks in doubt, third where the good guys prevail and the human dramas established earlier are resolved (who dies who makes a noble sacrifice etc).

Could you make a good K Pass movie? Yeah but the historical drama doesn’t fit quite as well and it’s no longer a cultural landmark. You would need to do a lot more world building to clue the audience in and lean WAY more heavily on “survival / halting the Nazi advance is a good enough victory.” Even Bulge movies get to be triumphalist at the end as hitlers minions are sent scurrying back into their homeland. A halter advance and tactical withdrawal into worthless desert pending years more of grinding conflict doesn’t have the same dramatic umph. You would pretty much have to make it about one guy learning to be a soldier or becoming a vet or just surviving. Basically the plot of Starship Troopers only played straight

. . . Which is basically every WW2 film made during it immediately after the war. I’m not Bataan would play well today.

Again, not saying it’s impossible but it would take a clever script and a clever director and it’s so much easier to just plug and play easy tropes for a quick box office buck. Dunkirk is proof (kinda) that it can happen but there is a lot working against it. Even Dunkirk benefits by still resonating as a cultural touchstone in the UK.

My personal dream is a mildly surrealist movie set against the fighting in Attu and Kiska but lol that’s never happening.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

I want this not only because it is a good idea but because of the rage it would cause in engineering faculties

"Read books by DEAD PEOPLE? This is time we could spend making our students MORE COMPETITIVE by CREATING THE APPEARANCE THAT WE TEACH THEM THIS ESOTERIC, EXTREMELY DIFFICULT MATH that we have to GRADE-CURVE the poo poo out of because the class average is 40%!"

:ssh:

Thanks for the offer to post them, but I'd like to check out blogspot first to see if I can get it posted easily enough. If it's too much work I'd be happy to have you post it though.

Also I 100% agree with engineers needing more comprehensive education beyond the technical knowledge we need for jobs. The school I went to made everyone take a handful of classes outside of the math/science/engineering curriculum and all of my classmates bitched about it nonstop. I think I was the only one who took those history and writing classes seriously.

Phanatic posted:

Oh, nothing egregious, just sea-story type stuff, like the Spanish at the Battle of Manila Bay firing miles over the heads of the US fleet; in actuality the US fleet opened fire beyond the range of the Spanish, the Spanish rounds fell short until the US closed the range. And things like "It is because the chemical elements of Altair are different, and in their burning give off differently colored flames," or the bit about catching a shark by hooking a remora, letting it attach itself to a shark, and then hauling in both. And you're definitely not getting "pure white silver" from scraping a copper-sheathed keel, no matter how long it's been sitting in the ocean.

Stuff like that.

Oh ok gotcha, those things being bullshit make sense. The part that romanticized the crews of that battle vs the lazy and disheveled WWII crew made me laugh pretty hard too.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is there some sort of playbook that they all read where they learn to do this, or do they all just figure it out independently? Because it's so strikingly common, as someone who makes the mistake of reading twitter
There's also this literal playbook.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

And you're definitely not getting "pure white silver" from scraping a copper-sheathed keel, no matter how long it's been sitting in the ocean.

That one jumped out at me because I was all "WHY AM I NOT DOING THIS"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

Stuff like that.

Could the "pure white silver" refer to salt crystallizing on the keel?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Could the "pure white silver" refer to salt crystallizing on the keel?

COMBAT was trying to claim you can harvest the silver directly:

COMBAT posted:

Soft racket department: somehow manage to acquire a ship
that has a bottom made of copper, sail around the South Sea Islands
for a few months (making sure you have all the necessary supplies to
make the cruise more enjoyable than a navy cruise), and then go into
drydock. Hire a couple of flunkies to scrape the bottom and you stand
down in the drydock with a bushel-basket and catch all the pure white
silver that falls off the keel. You may think your old friend
COMBAT is pumping out bum dope, but so help us it‘s a fact –
there‘s a lot of silver in the ocean and a few companies have been
formed to extract it by the chemical action of the copper bottoms in
the salt water!

Which does seem pretty dubious now that Phanatic mentions it.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
In this installment we get an outdated anthropology lesson, some casual racism, and some war stories.

COMBAT DOPE SHEET #11 Palau Islands

COMBAT posted:

STEAMING RIGHT INTO THE WATERS SURROUNDING THE PALAU ISLANDS is
another red letter day in the triumphant tour of the TINSMAN, for it marks the first journey for Old
Tinsides to the “sacred soil” of the Japanese Empire. The Palau group, as part of the far-flung Caroline Islands,
was an important outlying base for the Japanese fleet (may it rest in peace) before the U.S. Marines sent
most of the Japs on Palau to meet their ancestors last September. The conquest of Palau by U.S. forces
must have been a bitter cup of tea for the Japs, because they kept “counter-invading” the islands on Radio
Tokyo for weeks after the Marines had everything under control. The loss of Palau was the first chink in the
armor of the Jap Empire, and very soon thereafter Premier Tojo backed out of the government, red-faced,
bowing and scraping.

In 1899, Germany bought the entire Caroline Islands group from Spain for $4,500,000 (that’s about what the
TINSMAN has cost the taxpayers so far)—and when you see the Palaus you’ll probably think those Spaniards
were pretty cagy real estate dealers. The islands are low, volcanic coral in origin, and are not very important.
Periodically typhoon-tidal wave wipes out all trace of life on some of the islands, so whether you’re a native or
a lizard, life in Palau is what you might call a bit precarious. The Germans held the islands until 1914, when the
Japanese Navy moved in (the embarrassing truth of the matter is that in the last war the far-seeing Japs were on
our side and while the Allies were busy in Europe, the Japs were feathering their nest in the Pacific for this war
against us). In 1920 the League of Nations mandated the Carolines to the Japs, which meant the Japs were to
act as guardians of the independence of the islands. Instead the Japs went busily to work and established rigid
military control, and fortified the islands – in utter defiance of the League. Of course, Japan did all this in a
cloud of confusing denials and smiling “so solly’s”, but even Japan became embarrassed and withdrew from the
League in 1935, and immediately proclaimed them to be lock stock and barrel Japanese islands. So it is with
supreme pleasure that we pay a visit to the Palaus, because the presence of the mighty TINSMAN in these
formerly sacred Japanese waters is a symbol of the fact that their rice is cooked, and all the king’s horses and all
the king’s men can’t help them now.

As the Palaus are far out to sea, the human, plant, and animal life is rather stymied by the strictest limitations
Mother Nature could impose. Rising out of the sea by volcanic action and coral growth, and fat away from the
mainland of Asia, these islands never had the migrations of elephants, pigs, deer, rabbits, kangaroos, leopards,
and all the other mammals that thousands of years ago moved from Asia to the closer islands of the Dutch East
Indies and the Philippines (how did they get that far? – the theory is that they clung to rafts made of trees and
soil that broke loose by the action of raging young rivers on the mainland). The only mammals that exist in any
number in the Paluas are bats, that flew there, and rats, that ran ashore from ships. So with only rats and bats
around, the natives have had to carve their steaks from their pet dogs; besides being man’s best friend, in the
Palaus he is man’s best meal. There are about 6,000 natives in the Palau Islands,, and although their origin is not
very well known, it is supposed that ages ago they migrated from Asia, as their features are mostly Mongoloid.
Although the islands have been completely jilted by the mammal family, the birds have done their darndest to make
the islands worth something, by their abundant droppings on the rocks. The albatrosses, petrels, snipes, and terns
have made the “guano”, or phosphate-fertilizer industry a source of prosperity for the islands, that is supplemented
by deposits of bauxite and manganese. The Japs were in the process of developing these resources when they
were so rudely and permanently interrupted by the Yanks.

Besides having plenty of birds, the islands are blessed by many members of the reptile family. As a matter of
fact, the islands are well-known as the habitat of one of the most spectacular members of the family –
the “monitor lizard”. This is the largest of the lizard family, and 12 foot specimens have been found. The “monitor”
is a remarkable amphibious model “dukw” – a fast-moving swimmer in the water, and a fast-moving lad on the
beach: he is also known as the Boris Karloff of the retile menagerie because of his uncommonly handsome profile,
sunny disposition, vicious teeth, and strong razor-like tail that snaps like a whip to cut his enemies in tow. He is
very clubby with a species of amphibian known as the banded sea snake (strictly poison) and the sight of these
two coming ashore shoulder to shoulder at low tide is enough to make any Marine swear off the “bamboo saki”
and sign the pledge. Speaking of low tide, if you are the kind that is interested in museums, pick up some of those
Palau land snails – “slugs” – and mail them to your favorite professor – because the Palau slug is a strange looking
creature and is in a class by itself as far as the museums are concerned.

The natives of Palau were celebrated exponents of the art of “primitive navigation: and when our ancestors were
afraid to sail out into the “Green Sea of Darkness” – the Atlantic – these brave natives were sailing the expanses
of the Central Pacific in native canoes and boats, aided only by their amazing system of navigation. An expert
in this art in the native civilization of the Palau islanders was on the social side of a chief or priest, and he had
from every angle we know, a “racket”. The system of navigation that carried these people from Siberia to the
middle of the ocean involved the use of birds – by watching the direction of flight of birds oat sea, the natives
assumed that land was in that direction. If there were no birds to be seen, the natives would release a few of the
frigate birds they carried in cages, and follow them. The secret of native navigation was jealously guarded by
the high llamas: the experts usually had a whimsical reply ready when they were asked how they did it: “a
little bird told me”. Besides following the birds, the natives used the stars, color of the sea, fish, sounds, smells,
sky, and even butterflies to locate the land, and the Palau islanders are noted in addition for being the first to
make charts for us at sea.

To win this group of coral-volcanic islands known as the Palau Islands, the U.S. Marines had to fight hard
against a desperate enemy that entrenched himself in the caves of Peleliu Island. The following is a quotation
from a story of the action told by S/Sgt Ward Walker:

“Caves big enough to hold 250 or more men, caves running for more than 100 yards inside a ridge, caves with
many entrances and shelves, caves reinforced with concrete, little caves cleverly camouflaged – they’ve used
them all with the same result: death. They snipe at Marines until they’re discovered. They refuse to surrender,
chatter in their native tongue, scream foul words in English. And then they die. One marine tank rolled up to a
cave. The snout of its artillery piece swung into the hole. Jap bullets bounced like hail off its thick sides. The
piece fired shot after shot. From a camouflaged hole more than 100 yards away, smoke arose. Marine
engineers with TNT blew all the openings shut, sealing the Japs inside. At the edge of the airport during the
first day’s fighting, two marines were killed by Jap snipers in a cave. Leathernecks tossed in grenades. Still the
Japs fired. Heavy charges of explosives were thrown in. Still the Japs fired. A flame thrower was summoned.
Its scorching blast was squirted in. Two Japs broke, screaming, from another entrance to be met with rifle fire.
But it took another blast from the flame thrower to kill the two who remained in the cave, which ran for 50 feet
inside a low coral ridge. One squad of assault engineers tackled a cave and wound up blasting five of them – all
connected by passages – before the job was done.

“Elaborate stores of food, ammunition, saki (rice wine) and clothing are found in the caves. Frequently the Japs
will return to a cave within Marine lines and mine the bodies of their own dead, attaching explosives so that
Marine burial details will be blown to bits when they attempt to work.
“Marines, who fight to live, have difficulty understanding the psychology of men who, although obviously
frightened, refuse to surrender and dig in to meet certain death. “I’d rather take mine standing up,” a bearded
Marine sergeant spat in the silence that followed the whoosh of the flame thrower and the screams of the 15
Japs who died inside a large cave.”

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not knowing much about the battle or even the theater, what's this mean?

Soldiers are almost universally depicted in movies as being way, way older than they were in reality. Saving Private Ryan is a really good example, the grunts should be like 18-20 years old with Hanks' character maybe 23 or 24. It's true of almost every war movie out there; I think Dunkirk was mostly better about it though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MANime in the sheets posted:

Soldiers are almost universally depicted in movies as being way, way older than they were in reality. Saving Private Ryan is a really good example, the grunts should be like 18-20 years old with Hanks' character maybe 23 or 24. It's true of almost every war movie out there; I think Dunkirk was mostly better about it though.

It makes me think of this from the prologue to Slaughterhouse Five, which I didn't really appreciate when I first read it as a squeaky 17-year old (at most), but I think about more and more every year. It's maybe the truest commentary that's ever been made about war fiction, and thinking about it, I can't think of too many war movies that accurately depict soldiers as squeaky 17 year olds who lied about their age, which by contrast is something you encounter constantly in nonfiction accounts of war

Kurt Vonnegut posted:

I met his nice wife, Mary, to whom I dedicate this book. I dedicate it to Gerhard Muller, the Dresden taxi driver, too. Mary O'Hare is a trained nurse, which is a lovely thing for a woman to be.

Mary admired the two little girls I’d brought, mixed them in with her own children, sent them all upstairs to play games and watch television. It was only after the children were gone that I sensed that Mary didn’t like me or didn’t like something about the night. She was polite but chilly.

’It's a nice cozy house you have here,' I said, and it really was.

'I've fixed up a place where you can talk and not be bothered,' she said.

'Good,' I said, and I imagined two leather chairs near a fire in a paneled room, where two old soldiers could drink and talk. But she took us into the kitchen. She had put two straight-backed chairs at a kitchen table with a white porcelain top. That table top was screaming with reflected light from a two-hundred-watt bulb overhead. Mary had prepared an operating room. She put only one glass on it, which was for me. She explained that O'Hare couldn’t drink the hard stuff since the war.

So we sat down. O'Hare was embarrassed, but he wouldn't tell me what was wrong. I couldn’t imagine what it was about me that could bum up Mary so. I was a family man. I’d been married only once. I wasn’t a drunk. I hadn’t done her husband any dirt in the war.

She fixed herself a Coca-Cola, made a lot of noise banging the ice-cube tray in the stainless steel sink. Then she went into another part of the house. But she wouldn’t sit
still. She was moving all over the house, opening and shutting doors, even moving furniture around to work off anger.

I asked O’Hare what I’d said or done to make her act that way.

'It's all right,' he said. "Don’t worry about it. It doesn’t have anything to do with you.’ That was kind of him. He was lying. It had everything to do with me.

So we tried to ignore Mary and remember the war. I took a couple of belts of the booze I'd brought. We would chuckle or grin sometimes, as though war stories were coming back, but neither one of us could remember anything good. O'Hare remembered one guy who got into a lot of wine in Dresden, before it was bombed, and we had to take him home in a wheelbarrow.

It wasn’t much to write a book about. I remembered two Russian soldiers who had looted a clock factory. They had a horse-drawn wagon full of clocks. They were happy and drunk. They were smoking huge cigarettes they had rolled in newspaper.

That was about it for memories, and Mary was still making noise. She finally came out in the kitchen again for another Coke. She took another tray of ice cubes from the refrigerator, banged it in the sink, even though there was already plenty of ice out.

Then she turned to me, let me see how angry she was, and that the anger was for me. She had been talking to herself, so what she said was a fragment of a much larger conversation. "You were just babies then!' she said.

’What?" I said.

'You were just babies in the war-like the ones upstairs! ' I nodded that this was true. We had been foolish virgins in the war, right at the end of childhood.

'But you're not going to write it that way, are you.’ This wasn't a question. It was an accusation.

'I-I don’t know,’ I said.

'Well, / know,' she said. 'You'll pretend you were men instead of babies, and you'll be played in the movies by Frank Sinatra and John Wayne or some of those other gamorous, war-loving, dirty old men. And war will look just wonderful, so we'll have a
lot more of them. And they'll be fought by babies like the babies upstairs.’

So then I understood. It was war that made her so angry. She didn't want her babies or anybody else's babies killed in wars. And she thought wars were partly encouraged by books and movies.

So I held up my right hand and I made her a promise 'Mary,' I said, 'I don’t think this book is ever going to be finished. I must have written five thousand pages by now, and thrown them all away. If I ever do finish it, though, I give you my word of honor: there won’t be a part for Frank Sinatra or John Wayne.

'I tell you what,' I said, 'I'll call it The Children's Crusade.'

She was my friend after that.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i've been making the joke for years that it was crazy that tom hanks and ted danson, the two oldest captains in the ETO, met somewhere in normandy

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

bewbies posted:

i've been making the joke for years that it was crazy that tom hanks and ted danson, the two oldest captains in the ETO, met somewhere in normandy

gently caress, I forgot ted danson was in that

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Call of Duty: World at War was unintentionally funny with this. Sgt. Roebuck ruminates in one of the cutscenes that the "old guard" like him are barely in their 20s, but he has the face and voice of a man around 35. Sullivan, the tough commanding officer who dies in the second mission, is supposed to be no older than 29. This is how he looks:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

Call of Duty: World at War was unintentionally funny with this. Sgt. Roebuck ruminates in one of the cutscenes that the "old guard" like him are barely in their 20s, but he has the face and voice of a man around 35. Sullivan, the tough commanding officer who dies in the second mission, is supposed to be no older than 29. This is how he looks:

lol

That kinda works for some german soldiers in '44 and '45 I guess, but aside from maybe the stereotypical army NCO lifer...

Matt Damon probably could have done a realistic job as the captain in SPR instead of Hanks, but I wonder if wider audiences would have bought/accepted an appropriately-aged cast. Also I had no idea rhat Danson was in it; I just never thought about it; but I know exactly where he is in the movie now.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Matt Damon probably could have done a realistic job as the captain in SPR instead of Hanks, but I wonder if wider audiences would have bought/accepted an appropriately-aged cast. Also I had no idea rhat Danson was in it; I just never thought about it; but I know exactly where he is in the movie now.

Nathan Fillion has a bit role in it as well! (I’ll let you all take a guess, I only figured it out after someone told me) though at least he looks age-appropriate.

Speaking of movie chat, is there any movie that gets combined-arms fighting right? The end fighting sequence of SPR is well known for how in-accurate it is (open top self propelled artillery are used in close combat!). In fact, due to how rare the equipment is I can’t think of many WWII era films post 1960s that make heavy use of tanks or armored vehicles.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
SU-122

Queue: SU-122M, KV-13 to IS, T-60 factory #37, D.W. and VK 30.01(H), Wespe and other PzII SPGs, Pz38(t) in the USSR, Prospective French tanks, Medium Tank M7, Churchill II-IV, GAZ-71 and GAZ-72, Production and combat of the KV-1S, L-10 and L-30, Strv m/21, Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951, Pz.Sfl.V Sturer Emil, PzII Ausf. G-H, Marder III, Pershing trials in the USSR, Tiger study in the USSR, PIAT, SU-76, Heavy tanks M6, M6A1, and T1E1, SAu 40 and other medium SPGs, IS-2 (Object 234) and other Soviet heavy howitzer tanks, T-70B, SU-152, T-26 improved track projects, Object 238 and other improvements on the KV-1S, Lee and Grant tanks in British service, Matilda, T26E4 Super Pershing, GMC M12, PzII Ausf. J, VK 30.01(P)/Typ 100/Leopard, VK 36.01(H), Luchs, Leopard, and other recon tanks, PzIII Ausf. G trials in the USSR, SU-203, 105 mm howitzer M2A1

Available for request:

:ussr:
IM-1 squeezebore cannon
45 mm M-6 gun
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85 NEW

:britain:
25-pounder
Cruiser Tank Mk.I
Valentine III and V
Valentine IX and X NEW

:911:
37 mm Anti-Tank Gun M3
36 inch Little David mortar
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
GMC M8 NEW

:godwin:
15 cm sIG 33
10.5 cm leFH 18
7.5 cm LG 40
10.5 cm LG 42
Tiger (P)
Stahlhelm in WWI
Stahlhelm in WWII
Pz.Sfl.IVc
PzIII Ausf. E and F
Ferdinand
17 cm K i. Mrs. Laf. NEW

:italy:
Semovente L40 da 47/32

:poland:
47 mm wz.25 infantry gun
7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Remulak posted:

Yeah, a big part of that problem is that engineers are poorly educated, it's like a trade school where they skip way too much of the liberal arts background required to be truly open of mind. I'm a bit odd (for many reasons) but nearly finished most of a philosophy degree before changing to EE, and the liberal arts core curriculum gave me a way of seeing the world that most engineers miss out on. It sucks and I don't know how to fix it.

I learned everything I need to know about how the world works from Kundu and Cohen, thank you very much.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 30, 2017

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Nathan Fillion has a bit role in it as well! (I’ll let you all take a guess, I only figured it out after someone told me) though at least he looks age-appropriate.

Why, he was the title character! :v:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Huh, I thought the average age of the combat soldier in WW2 was fairly high at least compared to later conflicts especially vietnam

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Milo and POTUS posted:

Huh, I thought the average age of the combat soldier in WW2 was fairly high at least compared to later conflicts especially vietnam

Only later in the war, and even then only countries that were running low on young warm bodies, at least in Europe. I can't comment on Japan or China. Im not saying nobody over 25 carried a rifle for the US, but the vast majority were quite young.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Going back to the 2nd Sino-Japanese war for a second:

Did we ever definitively figure out how the Marco-Polo bridge incident happened? From what little I know, we're pretty sure it wasn't staged by Tokyo, but it probably wasn't entirely an accident, either. I've always assumed some dudes near the border did it on purpose and claimed China shot first, then Japan just sorta went with it since it was as good an excuse as any to sieze more of China. The way Japan wasn't ready to launch an all-out invasion the next morning like Germany was with the 'Polish attack' on the radio station, but using a small firefight as an excuse to launch a full-scale invasion seems sketchy, especially since they used almost the exact same thing as an excuse for grabbing Manchuria.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Milo and POTUS posted:

Huh, I thought the average age of the combat soldier in WW2 was fairly high at least compared to later conflicts especially Vietnam

Just a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRJFvtvTGEk

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Speaking of movie chat, is there any movie that gets combined-arms fighting right? The end fighting sequence of SPR is well known for how in-accurate it is (open top self propelled artillery are used in close combat!). In fact, due to how rare the equipment is I can’t think of many WWII era films post 1960s that make heavy use of tanks or armored vehicles.

The main problem is that putting things on a screen for a person to follow means putting things a lot closer together than they were IRL. Fury goes for the 'conga line behind a tank' which was more of a thing for staged photos than real combat(in reality, those guys would've been crawling in the dirt behind smoke with the tanks sitting back), but realism would be far less cinematic.

I suppose it's sort of like how much more ~awesome looking~ it is for the pikemen in alatriste to stand shoulder to shoulder.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Panzeh posted:

The main problem is that putting things on a screen for a person to follow means putting things a lot closer together than they were IRL. Fury goes for the 'conga line behind a tank' which was more of a thing for staged photos than real combat(in reality, those guys would've been crawling in the dirt behind smoke with the tanks sitting back), but realism would be far less cinematic.

I suppose it's sort of like how much more ~awesome looking~ it is for the pikemen in alatriste to stand shoulder to shoulder.

I do feel like that attack should have ended with 4 burning Shermans.

But then it should have started with half an hour of mortar and artillery and airstrikes on the edge of the woods.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Alchenar posted:

I do feel like that attack should have ended with 4 burning Shermans.

But then it should have started with half an hour of mortar and artillery and airstrikes on the edge of the woods.

lol, nah. At least one of them had a 76mm which was more than capable of taking out a Tiger, and at the range depicted I think the 75 was ok against those dumb flat slabs of armor on the Tiger. I think one of them might have been a Jumbo, too. It should have ended with one ambushed dead sherman and one extremely dead Tiger that shouldn't have fired on 4 enemy tanks in the first place.

edit: never mind, i thought you were talking about the silly tiger battle near the end.

FishFood fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 30, 2017

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Realism aside I thought it was cool that Fury was focused on tanks. The town battle, tree line attack, and tank battle were all different from the usual so I was pretty disappointed when the rest of the movie was a generic last stand fight against enemy hordes

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

Realism aside I thought it was cool that Fury was focused on tanks. The town battle, tree line attack, and tank battle were all different from the usual so I was pretty disappointed when the rest of the movie was a generic last stand fight against enemy hordes

They should have had the King Tiger set out to avenge the death of one of its subjects and have a duel with Fury

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FastestGunAlive posted:

Yeah, mechanized forces in ww2, despite being one of the defining aspects of the war, get very little play in media.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, mechanized forces in ww2, despite being one of the defining aspects of the war, get very little play in media.

Also the naval war. The Battle Off Samar deserves a good movie.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Milo and POTUS posted:

average age of the soldiers in three sample muster rolls i looked at from the 1680s was 30, mass grave dead dudes vary from teens to middle age

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 30, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Panzeh posted:

I suppose it's sort of like how much more ~awesome looking~ it is for the pikemen in alatriste to stand shoulder to shoulder
yeah they have to fit on the screen (which is also why they're shoulder to shoulder in paintings) and the audience will have much more familiarity with 18th century movie combat than 17th. there's a danger that with 18th century drill in mind authentic 17th century practices will look too spread out and "unserious."

this blogger goes into that sort of thing a bunch, things like costuming a character who's supposed to be innocent and childlike in pale pink which works perfectly for a 21st century audience but in the italian renaissance pale colors meant you couldn't afford darker dyes

http://www.exurbe.com/?p=2176

although she's wrong where she says nobody would watch an absolutely period-correct thing, i'd watch that bitch till my eyeballs bled and you would too

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 30, 2017

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I endorse Cyrano's suggestion for an Attu and Kiska movie, they could call it "What The gently caress Are We Even Doing Here, Seriously"

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Haven't read the thread in months, goes for Last Read Post, slips over to Last Page. FFFFFFffffffffone browsing!! Any particularly good discussions I should look out back for? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

anti_strunt posted:

Haven't read the thread in months, goes for Last Read Post, slips over to Last Page. FFFFFFffffffffone browsing!! Any particularly good discussions I should look out back for? :(

Yeah combat dope sheets are extremely good