Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

TheNewt posted:

This thread has gotten worse since we stopped talking about the prequels.

I watched the 4k remaster of Panther Pachali last night.

Much better than the Phantom Menace.

Wow very cool! Thanks for posting about it in this thread man, its really cool to get these sorta behind the scene deets on what my favorite posters like TheNewt r up to :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Lord Hydronium posted:

Well, that was the story. Just like before the prequels, the story of the fall of the Jedi was that they were pure and good guardians of peace and justice who fell through no fault of their own.

That wasn't the story. We had no idea what happened. All we knew was that the Jedi were guardians of peace and justice, then somehow the Emperor outmaneuvered them all and destroyed all but two of them, and now here they are hiding away like rats while the Empire dominates the galaxy. Then we learn that Obi-Wan and Yoda are liars. Obi-Wan admits that he failed in his training of Anakin. Obi-Wan tells Luke he has to kill his father, but it turns out that that's wrong. The Jedi were never portrayed as infallible or totally pure and good. Luke is explicitly portrayed as proving his teachers wrong and surpassing them in wisdom, even before the prequels.

We didn't know the full extent of it before the prequels, but nothing in the prequels contradicts or undermines the characters or the story of the OT. The Obi-Wan and Yoda of the OT are still just as wise as they ever were, and also just as flawed.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

fivegears4reverse posted:

"In Star Wars, anyone can be the hero, but only with the permission of the writers who decided the hero in The Last Jedi would be Luke Skywalker, again."

Luke is the legend, Rey is the hero.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Yaws posted:

lol um yeah Milky Moor. Sure.

Perhaps Anakin bought it for her! Foreshadowing!

The visual theme of the scene is black leather and fire, representing temptation and passion. Anakin speaks of being scarred and unable to breathe. The whole thing is obviously prefiguring Mustafar and Anakin's transformation into Vader.

The whole reason Darth Vader chokes people in the OT is because he envies them what he doesn't have. It's the same in Episode III. As he says in the fireplace scene, the thought of not being with Padme renders him unable to breathe. So when Padme says she can't be with him anymore on Mustafar, he chokes her in revenge, because she strangled him first with her rejection. It ties back directly to the dialogue in the fireplace scene, and so does the imagery. Padme's kiss in Episode II does become a scar--an unimaginably gruesome one.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 30, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Cnut the Great posted:

The visual theme of the scene is black leather and fire, representing temptation and passion. Anakin speaks of being scarred and unable to breathe. The whole thing is obviously prefiguring Mustafar and Anakin's transformation into Vader.

The whole reason Darth Vader chokes people in the OT is because he envies them for what he doesn't have. It's the same in Episode III. As he says in the fireplace scene, the thought of not being with Padme renders him unable to breathe. So when Padme says she can't be with him anymore on Mustafar, he chokes her in revenge, because she strangled him first with her rejection. It ties back directly to the dialogue in the fireplace scene, and so does the imagery.

This is what I was hoping for. Very cool.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Milky Moor posted:

This is what I was hoping for. Very cool.

I think I pointed it out myself a looooong time ago. But it says something that people independently notice these things.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Cnut the Great posted:

The whole reason Darth Vader chokes people in the OT is because he envies them what he doesn't have.

Anakin chokes Captains and Admirals that are beneath him. His underlings. What do they have that he doesn't? A fully functioning body?

Yaws fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 30, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
He just chokes people because it's scary space sorcerer poo poo. Anakin does it in the prequels cause Lucas is a poor writer.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
^^^ Isn't the only person Anakin chokes in the prequels Padme specifically?

Yaws posted:

Anakin chokes Captains and Admirals that are beneath him. His underlings. What do they have that he doesn't? A fully functioning body?

...yes?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

^^^ Isn't the only person Anakin chokes in the prequels Padme specifically?

...yes?

I guess Anakin should be force choking virtually everyone he comes across if his only criteria is "not horribly burned and in a machine that sustains my life"

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Milky Moor posted:

So anyway does the choker-scarf thing that Padme wears in AotC somehow link back to Anakin choking her to death?

She didn't die from choking.

She simply lost the will to live.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Beefstew posted:

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Beefstew posted:

It's like she gave up all hope

How could Padme have foreseen her husband falling to the dark side? The man who slaughtered all those Tusken Raiders. The man who showed an authoritarian streak. If only there was some warning signs for poor Padme.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yaws posted:

I guess Anakin should be force choking virtually everyone he comes across if his only criteria is "not horribly burned and in a machine that sustains my life"

I think you're confusing why he specifically chooses choking as a method of using violence and why he chooses to use violence against specific people.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Basebf555 posted:

Where would you suggest he shoot in order to get a Coruscant-like cityscape with buildings so packed together that you can't even tell where the ground is? A literal planet-sized city that we're gonna be speeding around in during one of the biggest action set-pieces in the movie.

So like, the Death Star surface an it's trenches from the OT? All this could have been done with models, like they did 30 years prior. They also did this for the new Blade Runner and it looks wonderful.

I get it, Lucas pushed us towards CGI and the development of the technology, and yes it was well-received at the time and I enjoyed the first film when it hit theaters (I was also 12~); but that doesn't mean it's held up. Jurassic Park used CGI sparsely and it holds up much better than the prequel films. I don't recall my reaction to AOTC but when ROTS came out I was bored to tears with it. I rewatched the prequels 2 years ago on my Star Wars binge leading up to TFA and it was hard to sit through the prequels, I feel asleep several times to each film, and they look absolutely terrible. There's some good shots, yes, but they mostly look like poo poo.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

So like, the Death Star surface an it's trenches from the OT? All this could have been done with models, like they did 30 years prior. They also did this for the new Blade Runner and it looks wonderful.

I get it, Lucas pushed us towards CGI and the development of the technology, and yes it was well-received at the time and I enjoyed the first film when it hit theaters (I was also 12~); but that doesn't mean it's held up. Jurassic Park used CGI sparsely and it holds up much better than the prequel films. I don't recall my reaction to AOTC but when ROTS came out I was bored to tears with it. I rewatched the prequels 2 years ago on my Star Wars binge leading up to TFA and it was hard to sit through the prequels, I feel asleep several times to each film, and they look absolutely terrible. There's some good shots, yes, but they mostly look like poo poo.

Well when you get your time machine you can go tell him how they're going to look after almost two decades of VFX advancement and I'm sure he'll change them.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 30, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Beefstew posted:

Technically, her death was the result of her plot armor stat going negative. The cause of death was a stray dust particle.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

good shoes

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

exmarx posted:

good shoes

The solid piece used to shape shoes as they are made is called a last; Rian Johnson confirmed that Luke is the last Jedi, the form around which all future Jedi will be shaped.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Rian Johnson is still making his trilogy right? I really hope so.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Shaocaholica posted:

Rian Johnson is still making his trilogy right? I really hope so.

I don't even think preproduction is fully underway yet...but there's been no indication that his trilogy was a joke or anything.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Probably not. Last Jedi is literally the worst movie ever made(I read scripts for a living(not paid))

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/features/kojima-star-wars-in-the-era-of-disney-w514793 posted:

To ensure the stability and prosperity of the kingdom, a festival is held each year as part of a never-ending celebration. This is what it means for Disney, not George Lucas, to helm the Star Wars franchise. In the magic kingdom anyone can become prince or princess, no blood is spilled and there are no revolutions.

Dang.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was about to say, the review starts out pretty savage, but then it keeps going and you're like, oh yeah, it's Kojima.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

fivegears4reverse posted:

"In Star Wars, anyone can be the hero, but only with the permission of the writers who decided the hero in The Last Jedi would be Luke Skywalker, again."

Where's this from?

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

I Before E posted:

Well when you get your time machine you can go tell him how they're going to look after almost two decades of VFX advancement and I'm sure he'll change them.

yes, it would be completely unlike Lucas to release a version with redone effects over a decade later in preparation for a new trilogy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

exmarx posted:

good shoes

God why is Snoke such a jackass. What a bad character.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

The chase through Coruscant in AotC is obviously way more ambitious(to be more accurate, it's ambitious in a different way) than the death star trench run. So much more going on in terms of integrating the actual actors into their background, compared to those scenes in ANH where 99% of any shot of a pilot was just a close up in the cockpit.

So ok, you can say Lucas simply shouldn't have been that ambitious, he should've used the CGI more sparingly. I'm not trying to get into that argument, we could go on and on with that one all day, I'm just trying to point out that the movie you're suggesting is a drastically different one than what Lucas wanted. And, by the standards of the time, he succeeded and even surpassed expectations(as far as the technical quality of the effects).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Coruscant chase looks (and sounds) amazing I can't understand how someone could compare the New Hope trench run favourably.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tender Bender posted:

I'm assuming red letter media asked this in their review since everyone is parroting it as if it's a reasonable question.

Nah that's not the direction they went

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
CGI's gotten really good lately. If you look at something like the original King Kong and you compare it to something original Mighty Joe Young, King Kong's effects don't hold up, either. Joe looks more like a gorilla and is better animated, and some of the compositing is better, too. I think there's an even bigger quality gap in some of the CGI coming out now and the CGI in the prequels than there was in the effects between those two movies. That's not really a knock against the prequels, because I don't think the CGI was half-assed. If the idea was to try to help push new special effects technology further, that seems like a success to me.

I don't really like the prequels, but I don't like this talking point.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

s.i.r.e. posted:

A lot of shots on Coruscant were done with models and matte paintings too. :ssh:

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

sassassin posted:

The Coruscant chase looks (and sounds) amazing I can't understand how someone could compare the New Hope trench run favourably.

Because the trench run had both meaning and pathos and the coruscant chase... less so. All the pretty cgi in the world won't help you if the movie is bad.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I remember watching the coruscant chase and just feeling embarrassed on the behalf of the filmmakers. It's pretty well made for what it is but it's also really lame.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Renoistic posted:

I remember watching the coruscant chase and just feeling embarrassed on the behalf of the filmmakers. It's pretty well made for what it is but it's also really lame.

Cool I remember watching it and thinking it was fun and neat

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

While cleaning my house, I found a Star Wars fan comic my friend and I made in 7th grade (1996?). It contains such awesome lines as "DIE AT THE HANDS OF A SKYWALKER"

I was left with shame, and with consequence.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

While cleaning my house, I found a Star Wars fan comic my friend and I made in 7th grade (1996?). It contains such awesome lines as "DIE AT THE HANDS OF A SKYWALKER"

I was left with shame, and with consequence.

Post it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

After watching TLJ I concluded that they should have given the script to the Bio Apocalypse kid, who is probably now an adult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu91WyjDJR0

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

s.i.r.e. posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

Cool I remember watching it and thinking it was fun and neat

This is your brain on death sticks