Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I really love the WC3 custom map scene, but I hate the community for most of them. Except the RPG dudes, they're very chill in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

elements td is the best game mod of all time. i bet my friends and i played just tds more than everything else combined including dota and ladder.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

uploading WC3 replay in 2018

https://www.wcreplays.com/replay.php?m=View&rid=107866

Here's me vs. a 93rd rank Orc spammer and BMer (this is from b.net so it's 1.28)

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

schmitty9800 posted:

uploading WC3 replay in 2018

https://www.wcreplays.com/replay.php?m=View&rid=107866

Here's me vs. a 93rd rank Orc spammer and BMer (this is from b.net so it's 1.28)

you trying to betray the https://highper.ch boys???

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Highperch doesn't even play anymore, if their youtube is to be believed :smith:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

End of an era

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

it's very hard to find 3v3 AT games - there's one or two every couple days on Northrend, which is by far the busiest server. the classic games team is repeatedly changing their mind on upcoming changes, but they did list a proposed mappool change a couple months ago which appeared to include the removal of Highperch from the rotation. they weren't clear on whether the changes were just for RT or for both RT and AT, but that would be the real end of an era...

in the mean time, the 2018 equivalent of war3 towering is playing pubg squads with cars only. it's good and that's what clan towa is doing in our thirties

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
does anyone have a lot of trouble playing this in windows 10. it wont let me run updater without a CD in slot which by some miracle i actually have. somewhere. I do not know where anymore.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

does anyone have a lot of trouble playing this in windows 10. it wont let me run updater without a CD in slot which by some miracle i actually have. somewhere. I do not know where anymore.

Do you have the cd key? They added wc3 as downloadable on their site given you have a key

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Also, make sure you have the most up to date version! Blizzard actually attends to WC3 still with regular updates to ensure optimal compatibility with the latest versions of Windows 10 and OSX - or whatever it's called now. I remember at one point I was trying to get it to work properly and it would NOT work, and then I realized the installer I was using was from like 2 years ago (though still in my browser's downloads folder of course). I downloaded the most recent installer (which was like a total overhaul compared to how the last one worked) and it worked like a charm.

I think I may have needed a CD key though anyway - regardless, if you log into your account on blizzard.com and bring up the account settings page. There should be a list there of all the games you've bought directly from Blizzard online and linked to that account (or games you bought IRL and registered to this account). Regardless, Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne ought to be there (mine have different access keys but I bought them ages ago.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Did you see the news about a possible WC3 remaster announcement? Very circumstantial, but maybe it’s something.

http://www.wowhead.com/news=281944/many-warcraft-3-players-invited-to-offline-event-announcement-soon

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Yeah. I just saw it on the front page of MMO-Champion that Warcraft 3 streamers had been invited to an undisclosed event being held at the end of the month.

Something is up and hopefully it's a remaster announcement.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

That would be so cool. Give an excuse to play some more customs. Hopefully hacking it will be harder.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Man im sure glad blizzard wants to remaster poo poo because they cant come up with anything unique worth a drat anymore.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

grimcreaper posted:

Man im sure glad blizzard wants to remaster poo poo because they cant come up with anything unique worth a drat anymore.

The last unique Blizzard game was Lost Vikings (or I guess Diablo 1 maybe counts)

Warcraft is Dune/C&C with Warhammer themes
StarCraft is Warcraft with WH40K themes
WOW is Everquest with Warcraft themes
HOTS is DOTA with their own characters
Hearthstone is Magic with Warcraft themes
Overwatch is TF2 with LGBTQ characters

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

schmitty9800 posted:

The last unique Blizzard game was Lost Vikings (or I guess Diablo 1 maybe counts)

StarCraft is Warcraft with WH40K themes
WOW is Everquest with Warcraft themes
HOTS is DOTA with their own characters
Hearthstone is Magic with Warcraft themes
Overwatch is TF2 with LGBTQ characters

Rock n Roll Racing is RC Pro AM with good music.
RPM Racing is Racing Destruction Set for the Commodore.
Blackthorne is Flashback with a shotgun.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Video games are movies with player characters

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

schmitty9800 posted:

doesn't the original Warcraft game predate the original C&C game by a solid year

Far be it from to want to give Blizzard undue credit but uh, yeah

edit: i am a video game idiot and didn't know about the original dune games by westwood

kaworu fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 19, 2018

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
DOTA is just like Team Fortress or something with Warcraft 3 characters

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
HOTS is Blizzard recognising they hosed up by not creating a DOTA standalone themselves, despite it being the top played map on their game for years lol.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Fanatic posted:

HOTS is Blizzard recognising they hosed up by not creating a DOTA standalone themselves, despite it being the top played map on their game for years lol.

Too be fair the DOTA community is probably the most toxic gaming community that has ever existed. You could take counter strike, cod, and battlefields communities combined and still be nowhere near as bad.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/Back2Warcraft/status/966433777986752513

1.29 incoming

https://twitter.com/Back2Warcraft/status/966436288663613440

oh man, this is cool

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20762026715 posted:

Over 15 years since the release of Reign of Chaos, Warcraft III has a new major patch coming and your favorite players are throwing the first Warcraft III Invitational to celebrate it!

Hosted by casters Neo and Remo of Back2Warcraft, join us on February 27 and February 28 on Twitch for a slew of special events, including Free-for-All, 4v4’s, and other friendly competitions. Well-known Warcraft III competitors from around the world will be getting together live at Blizzard HQ to showcase their talents in friendly competition!

We love and continue to support our Warcraft III community, and we’re excited to see classic competitors like Manuel “Grubby” Schenkhuizen, Park “Lyn” Joon, and Kim “ReMinD” Sung Sik try out all the new PTR changes for themselves—including balance adjustments to many heroes, widescreen support, and more – all playable now on the PTR!

Be sure to tune in for your own sneak peek and check out our PTR patch notes for more information.

Attendees
• Neo [Observer] Germany
• Remo [Observer] Germany
• Happy [Undead] Russia
• Foggy [Night Elf] Ukraine
• HawK [Human] Russia
• Effect [Human] Sweden
• ReMinD [Night Elf] South Korea
• Lyn [Orc] China
• FoCuS [Orc] South Korea
• LawLiet [Night Elf] South Korea
• Grubby [Orc] Netherlands
• MaDFroG [Undead] Sweden
• Insomnia [Human] Bulgaria
• Tak3r [Orc] Germany

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20762056755 posted:

Hail Warchiefs,

Warcraft III's PTR is back and ready for your scrutiny. Join us in testing widescreen support, hero balance changes, and updates to Map Pools for 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's and Free-for-All. We've also added some experimental modes like 24 player support for custom games.

We hope you enjoy. We will be watching here for general feedback, the Editor thread for mapmaker feedback, and the Balance & Map Pool thread for that topic (details below).

Windows
https://battle.net/download/getInstallerForGame?os=win&locale=enUS&version=PTR&gameProgram=WARCRAFT_3

Mac
https://battle.net/download/getInstallerForGame?os=mac&locale=enUS&version=PTR&gameProgram=WARCRAFT_3

Specific Changes & Improvements
Widescreen Support
Added bookends to the in-game interface
Added black pillars in menus to prevent stretching

24 Player Support
Game lobbies revised to support 24 players
Team colors revised and expanded
Color selection is an ongoing effort, feel free to leave specific suggestions with color codes

Balance & Map Pools
Head here for details and focused discussion: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20762006793#1

World Editor Upgrades
Head here for details and focused discussion: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20761976724#1

Bug Fixes
Clans may now be created
Mac clients launch on 10.11 and beyond

Known Issues
Unable to change resolutions in native fullscreen
PTR only supports English version of the client
This will be the last version to support Windows XP

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
the balance changes for those who care:

quote:

Mountain King

Base Speed: (Buff) Base speed increase 270 to 290

Stormbolt:

Level 2: (Nerf) Reduce damage from 225 to 210
Level 3: (Nerf) Reduce damage from 350 to 325

Thunder Clap

Level 1: (Buff) Increase damage from 60 to 65; Radius 25 to 30
Level 2: (Buff) Increase damage from 100 to 125; Radius 30 to 35
Level 3: (Buff) Increase damage from 140 to 175; Radius 35 to 40

Paladin

Attack Speed (cool down): (buff) Change default from 2.2 to 2.0

Divine Shield

Level 2: (Nerf) Decrease duration from 30 to 25
Level 3: (Nerf) Decrease duration from 45 to 35

Blade Master

Mirror Image: (Buff) Mana Cost (all levels) 125 to 115

Critical Strike

Current; 40avg + 10 from items (40+10)*3=150
Change; 40avg +10 from items (40*3)+10=130

Far Seer
Feral Spirit

Lowered XP rewarded to enemy hero
Increase Unit Level 1 & Level 2
Increase HP Level 1, 200 to 250
Level 2, 300 to 350
Stats Level: Lvl 2; Stats: Level 4 to Stats Level 3
Stats Level: Lvl 3; Stats: Level 5 to Stats Level 4

Chain Lightning

Level 1: (Buff) Decrease Damage Reduction per Target from .15 to .10
Level 2: (Buff) Decrease Damage Reduction per Target from .15 to .10
Level 3: (Buff) Decrease Damage Reduction per Target from .15 to .10

Far Sight

Level 1: (Buff) No mana cost; Cooldown 60 seconds
Level 2: (Buff) No mana cost; Cooldown 45 seconds
Level 3: (Buff) No mana cost; Cooldown 30 seconds

Tauren Chieftain

Reduce duration for reincarnation to occur - 7 seconds to 5 seconds

War Stomp

Level 1: (Buff) Increase damage from 25 to 30
Level 2: (Buff) Increase damage from 50 to 60
Level 3: (Buff) Increase damage from 75 to 90

Dread Lord

Carrion Swarm

(Buff) Mana Cost (all levels) 110 to 100
(Buff) Can now target mechanical units

Sleep

(Buff) Cool down (all levels) 6 sec to 4 sec
(Buff) Mana Reduction 100, 75, 50 to 80, 65, 50
(Nerf) Duration 20(5), 40(10), 60(15) to 15(4), 35(8), 55(12)

Vampiric Aura: Increased bonus for DL

Level 1: (Buff) DL 15% to 20%
Level 2: (Buff) DL 30% to 35%
Level 3: (Buff) DL 45% to 50%

Crypt Lord

Base Speed: (Buff) Base speed increase 270 → 290

Carrion Beetles

(Buff) Increased HP and movement speed
Level 1: (Buff) Increase HP from 140 to 170; Increase movement speed from 270 to 290
Level 2: (Buff) Increase HP from 275 to 330; Increase movement speed from 270 to 290
Level 3: (Buff) Increase HP from 410 to 490; Increase movement speed from 270 to 290

Impale

Level 1: (Buff) Increase damage from 50 to 75
Level 2: (Buff) Increase damage from 80 to 120
Level 3: (Buff) Increase damage from 110 to 165

Lich

Priestess of the Moon
Attack Speed (cool down): (Buff) change default from 2.46 to 2.33

Keeper of the Grove
Hero Starting Attributes: (Buff) Intelligence 18 to 19
Tranquility

(Buff) Add a 3-sec invulnerability to the start of the cast
Duration:(Nerf) 30-sec to 15-sec
Heal: (Buff) 20 to 40 heal/per sec

Entangling Roots

Unit Root: (Nerf) Lvl 2; 24-sec to 18-sec
Unit Root: (Nerf) Lvl 3; 36-sec to 30-sec
Hero Root: (Buff) Lvl 2; 3-sec to 5-sec
Hero Root: (Buff) Lvl 3, 5-sec to 7-sec
Da Per-sec: (Buff) Lvl 2; 15 Da to 20 Da
Da Per-sec: (Buff) Lvl 3, 25 Damage to 30 Damage

Force of Nature

(Buff) Treants; 14 Damage to 16 Damage (12.5% increase)

Warden
Blink

Level 2: (Buff) Reduce cooldown from 10 sec to 7 sec
Level 3: (Nerf) Increase cooldown from 1 sec to 4 sec

Naga Sea Witch

Pandaren Brewmaster

Goblin Tinker

Cluster Rockets

Allow targeting air units
Level 1: (Buff) Increase base damage from 8.75 to 11.25 → 10 damage increase
Level 2: (Buff) Increase base damage from 16.25 to 18.75 → 10 damage increase
Level 3: (Buff) Increase base damage from 25 to 27.5 → 10 damage increase

Goblin Alchemist

Healing Spray: No longer heals enemy units

Acid Bomb

Level 1: (Buff) Increase Damage from 5 to 8 (Total Damage 75 to 120; Secondary Damage 3 to 5)
Level 2: (Buff) Increase Damage from 10 to 13 (Total Damage 150 to 195; Secondary Damage 6.5 to 8.5)
Level 3: (Buff) Increase Damage from 15 to 18 (Total Damage 225 to 270; Secondary Damage 10 to 12)

Firelord
Incinerate

Level 1: (Buff) Increase Bonus damage multiplier from 1 to 2, Death Damage Full Area from 90 to 120, Death Damage Half, Area from 180 to 240, duration from 2 to 4
Level 2: (Buff) Increase Bonus damage multiplier from 2 to 3, Death Damage Full Area from 90 to 120, Death Damage Half, Area from 180 to 240, duration from 2 to 4
Level 3: (Buff) Increase Bonus damage multiplier from 3 to 4, Death Damage Full Area from 100 to 120, Death Damage Half, Area from 180 to 240, duration from 2 to 4

Soul Burn

Level 1: (Buff) Increase duration increased from 14(6) to 16(7); Increase Damage from 100 to 125
Level 2: (Buff) Increase duration increased from 16(7) to 18(8). Increase Damage from 225 to 270
Level 3: (Buff) Increase duration increased from 18(8) to 20(9). Increase Damage from 375 to 450

Dark Ranger
Life Drain

Level 1: (Buff) Increase damage per sec from 25 to 30; Reduce Mana cost from 75 to 50
Level 2: (Buff) Increase damage per sec from 40 to 45, Reduce Mana cost from 75 to 50
Level 3: (Buff) Increase damage per sec from 55 to 60, Reduce Mana cost from 75 to 50

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Wow, huge patch and 24 person lobbies is nuts. Remastered must be on the way then :D

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Changing "Far Seer" to "Fart Seer" was a questionable change, at best.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

now i know its part of an across the board change but i have Opinions about making the nsw faster

anyone able to figure out what the word garble about the spirit wolves actually means?

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Wait, could this just mean there is no remastered version in the works? Maybe all the clues were just pointing to this update...

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Tenacious J posted:

Wait, could this just mean there is no remastered version in the works? Maybe all the clues were just pointing to this update...

Starcraft remaster has crossplay with the original game. Maybe they are doing some back-end work to update matchmaking and accomplish the same thing with a War3 remaster.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
drat, they went really conservative with those changes, i was hoping for some changes to non-hero units. Back to massing crypt fiends.

Does anyone who is actually good at the game see this patch affecting the meta at all? Dreadlord is the only one who stands out to me.

Prav posted:

anyone able to figure out what the word garble about the spirit wolves actually means?

I think it means the unit level of the wolf for xp purposes

so a lvl 2 wolf is the same xp as a lvl 3 creep, lvl 3 wolf is the same as a lvl 4 creep

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I can't seem to get the PTR to work. When I click Battle.Net I get the error "A required file was not found on Battle.net". Seems like there's some other people with that problem too so hope they fix it... :(

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

No real nerfs to the blademaster or demon hunter? Not doing anything against hex? :sigh:

Good to see the pit lord was already so strong he didn't need any buffs. :smug:

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Tenacious J posted:

I hope they stop wasting time with remasters and just make WarCraft IV before I die of old age.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Poil posted:

No real nerfs to the blademaster or demon hunter? Not doing anything against hex? :sigh:

Good to see the pit lord was already so strong he didn't need any buffs. :smug:

bm got nerfed, crit no longer multiplies the +damage from claws, which is a pretty big deal

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Double Bill posted:

I hope they stop wasting time with remasters and just make WarCraft IV before I die of old age.

There won't be a Warcraft 4 while WoW is still going. You'd end up with either a plot that contradicts the MMO if it's set at the same time or limits what the writing can do if it's set in the future.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Fanatic posted:

Wow, huge patch and 24 person lobbies is nuts. Remastered must be on the way then :D

No way in hell it's not going to cause desync issues on custom maps.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Are there any good co-op customs that would work for playing with a six year old? Starcraft 2's co-op mode was a little too complicated for my son for him to participate fully, I think something simpler for mouse practice is in order.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Cicero posted:

Are there any good co-op customs that would work for playing with a six year old? Starcraft 2's co-op mode was a little too complicated for my son for him to participate fully, I think something simpler for mouse practice is in order.

run footman run might be good

comedy answer: Don't Move Your Tauren

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

little munchkin posted:

run footman run might be good
Is that the same thing as Run Panda Run? Cuz from what I remember that map was hard as hell even with a bunch of people who were reasonably skilled at Warcraft.

Maybe are there any TDs that were easy/had difficulty settings? Doesn't necessarily have to be winnable by a 6 year old as long as we would be able to get fairly deep into it before dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Is there a discord for goon war3 fun time? I remember there being at least a DotA IRC way back when.

I wanna play some FFAs, 4s, or something equally stupid