Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
They make "milk" drinks for cats that are safe for them as treats. You can get them at pet stores, I've even seen them at Walmart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

New friend name of Gizmo.

She is four years old. Her previous family surrendered her; I don't know if it's linked to her high arousal (her chart says she's fractious and the coordinator said she can be naughty) or if they gave her up for unrelated reasons.

Bzzzzzzzzz

looks like Mr Obiwan

(not pictured, raccoon tail)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Naramyth posted:

looks like Mr Obiwan

(not pictured, raccoon tail)

Handsome man!

I think she stole her tail from another cat.

She's been busy inspecting the premises so not too much petting yet. She did have a little hiss so we played a bit.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Certified Pre-Owned cats are the best cats. Gizmo is a handsome lady!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

kaworu posted:

You should be really happy that Ginny can stand having a kitten around at all - sometimes older cats can kinda lose it and get very upset if a kitten shows up in their territory and starts hogging all the humans and their laps.

So yeah, really what it comes down to is that Ginny is the one you should really look out for behaviorally. It's funny that she's this big older catte who can hiss and spit and yowl scarily but has *absolutely* no hunting or defense skills WHATSOEVER and is kind of a wimp; I was actually describing my own cat, Jackie, just now. But it sounds like it applies to your kitty, too.

Creampuff is the lapcat Ginny isn't. Ginny shows a little affection now and then but shes no cuddle-cat. She doesn't want to be picked up for long and usually she sleeps at the foot of my bed... so near me but not touching me. Creampuff is all over me at night and sometimes I worry I'm going to roll over and crush her. So I dont think that will be an issue between them.

I just want to be sure that when Ginny needs CP to leave her alone she does.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I adopted a pair of kittens 2 weeks ago. They were a pair of strays hanging around my work. My work is a chemical plant so it was no place for kittens.

Their a brother and sister and around 3 months old. The male has taken to being a house cat to the point that hes made my neck his bed, he drapes himself right under my chin like a furry necklace and goes to sleep. His sister is a different story, she wont stop being afraid of people and hiding. Any recomendations for calming her down? Im not sure if I should continue letting her get used to me or if I should be trying to pick her up more.

Also, the male loves burying his food when hes done. Since theres no dirt, he finds stray socks/towels, carries them over to his plate, and places them on his leftovers. Its simultaneously annoying and super funny. Has anyone had anything like this? Is it going to be a lifelong thing

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Got any pics? If they're young enough, you can socialize the shy kitten with a few tricks. Tiny Kittens HQ and Kitten Lady on youtube have some good instructions on how to do that.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Wolfgang, contemplating the breeze.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The general advice for cats is to let them work it out in their own time and don’t force it but yeah not as sure with kittens.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
For the shy kitten, I'd say try sitting near her, reading a book or just hanging out while she's eating. Don't grab at her or stare. If she seems chill, then maybe pet her. Feed her treats. Let her get used to you just being there while good things (like food) are happening.

Our cat pizza is really shy, and it took a long time for him to be comfortable with us. Granted he's a grown cat so kittens may be way different, but with him, he'll be very withdrawn and afraid until he feels safe and then, it's like a light switch, he's fine. We can't force it or it'll set him back. Once he's fine, he's fine.

A few things we did for him: feliway. Having a hiding space for him that's off limits to everyone. He used to run away from us anytime we'd pass him in the hallway, so we started looking at him, saying, "hi, Pete," then looking away and giving him a wide berth. So he knew we saw him and weren't going to stomp on him, but also that we weren't going to chase him, we had our own stuff to do. It took about a month of this before he'd just freeze up instead of running off. Another month before he'd just carry on calmly. Now he's completely fine, even when I'm carrying a laundry basket, which used to freak him out. Most things with pizza are just a matter of staying calm, rewarding him with treats for friendly behavior, and giving him plenty of time. Eventually he realizes the new thing isn't going to hurt him and that we are still going to feed him and pet him and he's fine.

Be patient and bear in mind, it can take a lot of time. And some cats are just not very sociable. You're great for taking them in.

Edit: When we got Pizza at 6 months old, he liked me but was terrified of my SO. Health issues kept him quarantined in the bathroom for over a month, so I sent my SO in to take turns sitting with him. After a few visits of Pete cowering behind the toilet while my SO sat and quietly used his laptop, suddenly out pops Pete, purring and chattering and begging SO for belly rubs. Like he'd never been afraid. He just needed time to deal.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 1, 2018

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

SickZip posted:

Also, the male loves burying his food when hes done. Since theres no dirt, he finds stray socks/towels, carries them over to his plate, and places them on his leftovers. Its simultaneously annoying and super funny. Has anyone had anything like this? Is it going to be a lifelong thing

I can confirm that this is a cat thing. Can't say if it'll stop or not.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

SickZip posted:

Yes probably. My cat does this, specifically when he's bored of or doesn't like his food. He'll walk into the bedroom to find abandoned clothes and he once stole the loo roll from the bathroom to jam it awkwardly into his bowl.

I just put down paper towels next to his bowl now so he can bury things to his hearts content.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Ugh, someone ran over a cat outside my home yesterday (not any of my cats, they are indoor/garden only cats). A really beautiful and huge 9 year old light red/orange male cat. It happened instantly thankfully.
So i had to drive around the neighbours trying to figure out who owned this cat just now and when i found them i got super nervous and said it p badly. "d-do you know who owns a big red cat?" "yes, it's ours do you know where it is? "oh it's been ran over at my place hehe" *nervous laughter*
:negative:

I feel so stupid, i should have practiced this poo poo in front of the mirror before leaving.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Dongattack posted:

i should have practiced this poo poo in front of the mirror before leaving.

You are an absolute sweetheart for doing that for the family. There's no way you could have made that experience good for them, so don't beat yourself up over having the awkwards. You spared them the time they'd have worried, and maybe the utter horror of unexpectedly finding him. Telling them it happened fast probably helped--it would help me.

:glomp:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Dongattack posted:

Ugh, someone ran over a cat outside my home yesterday (not any of my cats, they are indoor/garden only cats). A really beautiful and huge 9 year old light red/orange male cat. It happened instantly thankfully.
So i had to drive around the neighbours trying to figure out who owned this cat just now and when i found them i got super nervous and said it p badly. "d-do you know who owns a big red cat?" "yes, it's ours do you know where it is? "oh it's been ran over at my place hehe" *nervous laughter*
:negative:

I feel so stupid, i should have practiced this poo poo in front of the mirror before leaving.

Nah they are grateful for knowing I guarantee, you did a very good thing. Poor kitty though :(

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Thanks, that helps :)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
What you did is way better than what some of my childhood neighbors did. You did a really kind thing that's very difficult.

Poor kitty. :(

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Old man cat getting braver by the day!

He is also a fussy child and thus eating takes a good thirty minutes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

parara posted:

Hahah. Some cats do this because they hate their whiskers touching the sides of the bowl. Swap the deep bowl for a shallow saucer?

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Was considering that too! Right now he swats it out and either picks it up to put it in his mouth or eats from the ground, and although it's cute I don't think it's very comfortable.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Since Quiggs last year, we've kept a closer eye on behavior and eating habits, and noticed Chino wasn't eating very much the past few days.

Come to find out, he has an autoimmune disorder that leads to oral ulcers. His guns were red and his breath was stinky even by the standards of an animal that regularly licks its own rear end in a top hat clean. He'd been hanging out in our bedroom, curled up in a shelf. It could, unfortunately, be a recurring lifelong thing; vet said sometimes it happens once and sometimes it happens a couple times a year.

After some antibiotics and :catdrugs: for the pain, he's eating again and I got bullrushed this morning for pets. :3:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

D34THROW posted:

Since Quiggs last year, we've kept a closer eye on behavior and eating habits, and noticed Chino wasn't eating very much the past few days.

Come to find out, he has an autoimmune disorder that leads to oral ulcers. His guns were red and his breath was stinky even by the standards of an animal that regularly licks its own rear end in a top hat clean. He'd been hanging out in our bedroom, curled up in a shelf. It could, unfortunately, be a recurring lifelong thing; vet said sometimes it happens once and sometimes it happens a couple times a year.

After some antibiotics and :catdrugs: for the pain, he's eating again and I got bullrushed this morning for pets. :3:

Good job keeping an eye on him, and now that you know even if it is recurring you can help him live with it :unsmith:

parara posted:

Old man cat getting braver by the day!

This is an extremely handsome, S-rank catte, would pet.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

This is a crime cat who pulls capers. Jewel heists, sock drawer larceny, grand theft box, even expert use of bed cover.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I wonder if the cold is having much of any effect on cats overall? In Maine, it's been going between -20 degrees and 10 degrees for like ten days now! For the rest of the world that's between about -30 and -12 at the very warmest and never EVER getting warmer than that for 10 days. Tomorrow it might actually approach 28 degrees F or so (Almost freezing!) I just mean, most cats aren't longhaired or built to survive weather this extreme that is THIS sustained. It honestly makes me worry about stray cats and even feral cats, when you get a stretch like this. It just feels unnatural - up here in Maine every time I cross the bridge over the bay I drive through a literal wall of what looks like dense fog. It's actually a profuse amount of sea-smoke - the air is so much colder than the ocean-water that massive amounts of steam is constantly billowing. It looks really cool and also really unnatural. But anyway, I just mean... cats are ultimately descended from creatures designed to survive in extreme heat moreso than extreme cold, no? Though I suppose I am being short-sighted; cats are descending from the African Wildcat which was primarily a desert creature, but deserts most certainly experience extremes of both hot and cold..

I don't have really fantastic heating in my apartment and often use one of those radiator-type electric space heaters just adjacent to my bed to keep thing nice and cozy; but I leave it on all the time lately because Jackie has not been straying far from it lately except to briefly eat and use the litter box a few times a day - typically when I also go to the colder kitchen/bathroom side of the house to, well, do the same things! Heh. That's actually not particularly unusual, to be honest. We really live a disturbingly parallel life, Jackie and I. Seriously, she eats when I prepare food and eat (and then usually begs shamelessly for scraps of what I cooked whether she likes it or not). And she does often use the litterbox when I use the bathroom, no joke. And of course she sleeps when I sleep. The main difference I guess is that she probably mostly sleeps while I work or attend class, and her main activities are grooming herself and doing weird cat things.

Hey, you know, I have sort of a question... I had really thought most cats, well, weren't particularly adventurous eaters. And I forget that Jackie would probably weigh like 20 pounds if allowed to eat all the time, and that this is not exactly unusual in a large number of cats, but still I figure they're a great deal more discriminating than, say, dogs and usually only get really excited about meat. But I don't think even THAT is necessarily true.

But recently Jackie ate a crust from my grilled cheese sandwich (it did have bacon in it admittedly). She is also obsessed with potato chips. These foods excite her FAR more than her cat food, especially the potato chips. Yet she has no interest in roast chicken, or raw tuna or salmon... It just seems odd, forgive me for saying so!

kaworu fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 2, 2018

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Kaworu, when I was a kid we had a cat that loved Doritos. One of my boyfriend's cats loved cheese. :catstare: (Our dog also fuckin loves bread, to the point that if it's out for the birds, he will eat it.)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Found some large cardboard tubes that needed repurposing.

Locked and loaded

They love to hide in them and come firing out at full speed at each other.:catstare:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Thumposaurus posted:

Found some large cardboard tubes that needed repurposing.

Locked and loaded

They love to hide in them and come firing out at full speed at each other.:catstare:

:kimchi:

Cats are nature's heat-seeking missiles.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Figuring out my cat's litter box tolerance still, these days he tries to hold it in if he hates it, it's just darn difficult to pick the moment to change it before he acts up about it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Cats can like some weird stuff. My dad's cat Chaucer enjoyed flat beer and if he got hold of a slice of bread he would lick it until he made a whole big enough he could have put his head through. Jinx not only goes insane for cheese, he assumes ALL human food is cheese and will bug you relentlessly until you let him inspect it to see that it's a bowl of rice or something. Fred loves BBQ Pringles.

Cats are weird as hell.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pretty sure most cats like cheese but some definitely have some weird ideas about food. I know a cat who is in love with lettuce and will steal it whenever possible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One cat hates hairball paste and wont have anything to do with it. The other goes INSANE and meows relentlessly and will climb me to get at the tube.

No prizes for guessing which cat never gets hairballs and which cat is the one that actually needs the paste.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Synthbuttrange posted:

One cat hates hairball paste and wont have anything to do with it. The other goes INSANE and meows relentlessly and will climb me to get at the tube.

No prizes for guessing which cat never gets hairballs and which cat is the one that actually needs the paste.

This was my experience the one time we had to use pill pockets: the to-be-medicated cat staring at the pill pocket in confusion and terror, and the other cat stampeding in and like WHAT'S UP I SMELLED THERE WAS FOOD THAT GREEN THING LOOKS DELICIOUS!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:kimchi:

Cats are nature's heat-seeking missiles.

My wife often says that if anyone breaks in, she's throwing the kitten at their face.

Organza Quiz posted:

I know a cat who is in love with lettuce and will steal it whenever possible.

All of our cats try to steal the timothy hay from the cages of the bunnies and guinea pig.

One of them also tries to get to the hamsters through their cage. :catstare:

EDIT: v v v My mother in law's fat gently caress Lillie plays hard with laser pointers. Nothing else gets her moving but those. Her (late) cat Callie would get in on it too before she passed, all however-the-gently caress-many fat pounds of her.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 3, 2018

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You know, it is odd how even the laziest, most lackadaisical and deliberate and slow-paced cat I have EVER encountered or known - Jackie - can still turn into a kitty-missile at times. Normally Jackie is totally aloof and lackadaisical, her movements plodding and ponderous. I mean, you can suddenly snap your fingers near her head (which almost always makes a cat turn their head quickly in my experience). Not so with Jackie - she will barely respond except maybe with a blink, and possibly if you caught her off guard she will slightly tilt head in that direction. And just in general she is REALLY freaking slow-paced...

Unless food and/or play is involved, then she turns into a totally different kitty. She'll dash around the apartment when I throw jingly plastic balls around - she loves those. It's just kinda amazing how even a totally lethargic 12-year-old fatty can still zoom around the apartment like a missile.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Organza Quiz posted:

Pretty sure most cats like cheese but some definitely have some weird ideas about food. I know a cat who is in love with lettuce and will steal it whenever possible.

Buffy eats doritos, bombay mix bits, pork scratchings etc if she can get her paws on them. The oddest taste I've seen in a cat though was one we had when I was a kid, Caesar. He'd beg at the breakfast table until he got half a slice of toast with Marmite.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
My CH cat has to expend so much energy walking and moving that it makes him constantly ravenous for any food meaning he will eat anything you offer him.

Oh you left a Hamster lab block on the floor? Eaten, pita bread on the table? Eaten, jalapeņo poppers on the coffee table? Eaten.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

D34THROW posted:

One of them also tries to get to the hamsters through their cage. :catstare:

Scout was fantastically obsessed with Ser Timothy Tidbit and always trying to get into his cage.

One day, when Partner was at work and I was in bed with an unholy cluster headache/migraine combo, I heard a tremendous crash from the other room.

Scout had managed to shove Ser Timothy's case right the gently caress off the table despite it being A) heavy as hell and B) held down with some kind of cementy-putty stuff. However, the joke was on Scout. Ser Timothy had been happily bundled up inside a tube he had stuffed full of shredded hay and newspaper, and he sort of sleepily looked around when I came out to investigate and shut Scout in the bathroom. There was a lot of mess but once it was cleaned up he was perfectly fine and lived like another year before dying when Scout was staying elsewhere due to vacations and stuff. Trolled hard.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
So we got our fluffy cat Bowie a shave, because Australian summer is simply the worst. Aside from making him look ridiculous (which is awesome) it seems to have totally confused our other cat Luna - she's hissing at him hardcore, in aggressive ways that are totally contrary to her personality.

Part of me is assuming that she's being a bit of a dick, because Bowie now looks about a third of the size he did before and now she's obviously bigger looking, and she can be a bit more dominant, or she just doesn't recognise him at all. For what it's worth, Bowie is completely unphased by the hissing, which is about usual for him. Is this a regular thing with grooming?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Is this a regular thing with grooming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnWbwM4zxKg
Yes, but they'll get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Don't know why I expected my big dumb idiots to not keep being big dumb idiots. Thanks!