Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's going to depend on style as well. The classic tube-SVT sealed cab sound is great for most rock, but you start doing pop or R&B recorded after subwoofers became common and you start running into headroom and tone issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
The argument that class D amps are hard to maintain because of being made cheaply would also apply to other amps being made cheaply. I guess you can argue that class D amps that cost a lot are often also made cheaply and difficult to repair, but there's a lot of different manufacturers so I don't know how much you can generalize.

When I play out, most of the time my rig is for the preamp and for monitoring. I DI out to the house so my power amp isn't really reaching the audience. So I don't worry about it. I mean, I was using a preamp pedal for a while and using that as the DI.

There are so many reasons to go with a tiny class D amp. I like getting all of my stuff to the stage in one trip.

The downsides are that it sounds different than a different amp... Like any other amp would sound different from another amp. It's not like there was only the SVT, so there should be expected variance in tonality regardless of amp class and a decision on an amp should be made based on how you think it sounds for your purpose... Like with any other amp.

TLDR version: try one out.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Never said its because theyre 'cheaply' made myself.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
So I have a my very first live gig on bass soon. My plan is basically to run a tuner, ehx crayon, and a boss bass overdrive into a likely under powered Acoustic control corp b-18, then run the amps line out to some kinda di that I have yet to purchase and send the other side to house P.A. My backup in case my old amp breaks is to plug pedals in before di and only use house sound. Is this a stupid plan? What di should I buy if not?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Your plan is solid, and you don't need to buy a DI the sound guy will most certainly have one.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Oh good. That’s a relief.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Is it a professional venue? If so they most likely have a monitor for you too, so playing out of the house PA without an amp will not be a problem for you. In my experiences sound guys usually want your amp and cab to kinda be just for show and stage monitor anyway, they prefer the bass to come out of the PA.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

Is it a professional venue? If so they most likely have a monitor for you too, so playing out of the house PA without an amp will not be a problem for you. In my experiences sound guys usually want your amp and cab to kinda be just for show and stage monitor anyway, they prefer the bass to come out of the PA.

Not really sure what constitutes a professional venue but this is what we’re working with-
PA: Supplied by Venue / 12 Channel / with mics and stands
PA: ( 2 1000 Watt Cabs) Highs and Mids
PA: ( 2 1000 Watt) Subs
Monitors: 3 Supplied by Venue / mono mix
Lights: 12 par 46 Cans Supplied by Venue
Soundman: Supplied by Venue
Stage Specs: 16’ Deep X 20’ Wide X 3’ High

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Meaning it's not someones basement or kitchen, hah.

That's looks pro enough. The sound guy can help you out, don't be afraid to ask.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
If they have all that, chances are very good that they will also have a couple DI boxes around too.

Last night's show really reminded me how much I appreciate a full-range cab. We opened for a touring band, and I used their bass rig so I didn't have to haul mine. He had an Ampeg 410 with no tweeter... and therefore no clarity when close to the amp. I had to stand very close due to stage constraints (6 piece band, small stage at this venue) and I couldn't hear poo poo. My cab has a dedicated mid driver and tweeter, both of which are clearly audible even when basically alongside the cab. The house sounded awesome, but I had to blast a lot of stage volume and also listen to the keys player's monitor in order to hear myself clearly.

On the bright side, we had a new sound guy and he was awesome. Focused, thorough, efficient, no-nonsense and knowledgeable. Such an improvement over the usual guy at that venue!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

The Science Goy posted:

If they have all that, chances are very good that they will also have a couple DI boxes around too.

Last night's show really reminded me how much I appreciate a full-range cab. We opened for a touring band, and I used their bass rig so I didn't have to haul mine. He had an Ampeg 410 with no tweeter... and therefore no clarity when close to the amp. I had to stand very close due to stage constraints (6 piece band, small stage at this venue) and I couldn't hear poo poo. My cab has a dedicated mid driver and tweeter, both of which are clearly audible even when basically alongside the cab. The house sounded awesome, but I had to blast a lot of stage volume and also listen to the keys player's monitor in order to hear myself clearly.

On the bright side, we had a new sound guy and he was awesome. Focused, thorough, efficient, no-nonsense and knowledgeable. Such an improvement over the usual guy at that venue!

I was filling in for a friend's band on bass most of this past year while they were trying to get a permanent bass player. (I'd have joined, but most of their gigs are 1-2 hours away from where I live, and it's just a hassle.) While doing this, I used his bass amp and head, which were abandoned by a former bassist he'd worked with--dude just took his Modulus J-bass copy and went home; left his Ampeg solid state head (don't know the model) and 810. Now, I love 810s, and in general I prefer 10" drivers to 15" drivers, especially if the cab has only one or the other. And the amp sounded good.

When I play with my main band, though, I bring my Sunn 300T and the matching 410T, which is a 410 with an adjustable tweeter. That tweeter makes so much loving difference. Every slap, snap, pop, finger-slap (what I call it when I play fingerstyle but purposefully hard enough to rebound the strings off the frets), pick attack (when I'm using a pick), etc. was crystal clear without having to scoop my mids. Hell, it was more than crystal clear, it was just on the cusp of sizzling, and with an adjustment, I could have had it sizzling.

I wonder if anyone makes universal bass cabinet mods that add tweeters and the necessary crossovers to existing 410 (or 610 or 810) cabs?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/tweeter-box/

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Not really that useful live unless the sound guy mics it tho.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Exclusively for stage monitoring purposes it would be handy. If you DI it doesn't matter if they don't mic the tweeter - they will have the full range signal at the board anyway.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Interesting. I wonder if it requires a special input, though? I'm thinking more of a permanent mod to existing cabs, though. It would require a crossover and probably some power resistors (maybe?), and it would be mounted inside the cab. Then you just plug in like you normally do and go.

Dyna Soar posted:

Not really that useful live unless the sound guy mics it tho.

True. As was noted, though, it's good for stage monitor purposes, and I run from my amp's XLR direct out to the board generally, so it's up to the big club's sound system to make sure those sounds are in there. But, in many smaller bars and clubs, my amp doesn't even have to go through the PA at all, except maybe for monitors for the other guys on stage. So I basically am my own PA in many situations, and the tweeter makes a difference.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I am trying to convince my friend to get into making content with me, so our first project is to make a cover of the DK Swing/jungle japes arrangement that PPF has on YouTube.

As a proof of concept I bought transcription software and generated a bass score for it, and would like to give it to the thread to examine and use themselves. It was a fun project for sure :)

Disclaimer: this requires a low B string, and I’m not making tabs since the point is also to learn how to transcribe for Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4pmrw49pnd0qs99/Bass%20Score%20-%20Bass.pdf?dl=0

Let me know if I’ve made and mistakes or if there’s any questions. :)

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I know everybody loves the Squier Classic Vibe guitars but how are the CV basses? I've been thinking about P-basses lately and I like the look of the CV 70s.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
They are excellent and so are the vintage modified series.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Related to bass chat:

Traded my Ibanez ergodyne for this Epi acoustic bass. Has electronics and both a line and xlr. Thoroughly smitten with my trade. Can’t wait to try it

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

oh hey there

I was going to get an Upton Hybrid but ran out of money buying electric stuff. Then this guy popped up!

It's a fully plywood Shen SB80 that I got from the go-to upright bass luthier in the Bay Area. He had bought it off of a customer after it fell and popped the neck off, then put it back together and sold it. The guy is a master luthier (he showed me a rig where he had thermoformed a mold for a 200yo bass' top that had collapsed, and how he's re-curving chunks using hot sand then stitching them back together) and while you can see the repairs you can't feel or hear them. I like a dinged up bass anyways. It's set up amazingly and projects really well. I'd rather have a hybrid bass, I didn't want a Chinese bass and I loving *hate* violin corners...but money talks, and I'll have something to bash on for a few years while I see if I even need the step-up model. Now I just have to find a big band to join.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Turns out I didn't completely lose all my old bass playing abilities, I just had to try a bit harder to wake them up. Spent a few hours playing the bass path of Rocksmith and all of a sudden all the Geddy Lee licks dumb teenage me used to practice started flowing out.

It also made me aware that this cheapo Yamaha is a piece of crap and I really need to replace it with something better.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

I'm thinking about selling my Jay Mascis jazzmaster, and it made me think about the Warwick Dolphin pro 2 I sold to BluJay years ago. Is he still a goon, anyone talk to or know who I'm talking about? I wander what happened to that bass, it was so amazing but I really needed the cash. I regret letting it go, balanced perfectly and sounded amazing despite making strings go dead super fast for some reason.

Post your biggest bass regrets ITT.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Constipated posted:

Decided that the best way to combat wrist pain was to switch to a shorter scale bass. Spent way too much putting a custom medium scale 4 string together. Fixed the wrist pain with physiotherapy and went back to long scale 5 string. Haven't sold the medium scale 4 string yet.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

Constipated posted:

Putting round wounds on my fretless Warwick corvette when I couldn't afford to buy new strings. The scuffs still bother me.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Constipated posted:

I couldn't know it at the time, but selling my 1973 Ampeg B15N in 2001 for $300 turned out to be a mistake.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Years ago, instead of saving money and spending said saved dollars, I traded a Fender MB5 (not a Squier; those came later) and a MIM Precision Bass straight-up for a MIM Jazz 5-string. Now, I still have that 5-string, and I played it on stage last night. And at the time, I didn't need (or care for) the MB5 at all. But man, do I miss that standard P-bass. I've got a P-bass special now, and it has a Jazz neck, but I still remember how fun that red bodied, rosewood-fretboarded, bone stock P-bass was to play.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Constipated posted:

Let the singer from my old band borrow my bass and then literally never saw it or him again. It was just a Squier, so it wasn't a tragedy, but it was a nice way to throw $150 down the drain, and since I'm primarily a guitarist, I could never justify buying another one.

Ten years later and I'm finally building a DIY kit bass to replace it.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Constipated posted:

I ruined my first bass (early 90s Peavey Foundation) by defretting it after I'd replaced it with a Carvin LB76. It was a nice-playing instrument that definitely deserved better. I still have it around so I could try resurrecting it at some point but it's in pretty rough shape and would be a major project.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Oh, I did that too! I had a mid 90's MusicMan Sterling that the neck twisted on, because I was a young idiot that didn't know what I was doing. I had it de-fretted and the fingerboard leveled, but then the lack of wood made it twist even worse. I eventually put a fretted Moses Graphite neck on it, then sold it off cheap a few years later. Dumb.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

My biggest regret is that I tried to service and rebuild my mid-60’s B15N about five years ago with my dad, but then he passed away before we could finish, so that project has been on hold in my basement ever since. Hasn’t gone anywhere so I could finish it or take it to someone to work on, but ah well.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

My biggest bass regrets mostly involve inadvisedly joining lovely bands. Its such a great feeling when you spends months on a project and you realize oh wait you're working with worthless assholes.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Constipated posted:

1) Forgetting to take the battery out of my EDA900 for four years when I left it at home when I went off to school. Came back and the corrosion hosed everything hard.

2) Never finishing my FrankenP.

These two are related to each other as my dad got me the EDA after he heard me play in my first serious band. He saved for a year to be able to afford it. We were supposed to mod the P together. It was my first bass and after he got me the EDA I asked him to help me with the woodworking as he did woodworking as a hobby. I kept putting off fixing the EDA and completing the P. There was always some excuse. He died suddenly and now I can't bring myself to finish them. They're still in the cases. They'll be there for a long time.

Don't put family stuff off. You may never get a chance to finish it.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Sorry for your loss, that gets me thinking about how little time I spend with my father. He didn't play music and didn't exactly encourage or support me when I begged for chores all summer long at age 15 to earn enough money to order a B.C. Rich Warlock (bronze series) for 200$..

Eventually after about a year when I was playing some of the rock songs he loved, he was like "alright, I think I like that he's doing this". He lent me 2,000$ to purchase the Warwick Dolphin Pro 2 I talked about last post, took awhile to repay him. That was so huge to me and I still can't believe he would do that, with how little he earns working. He has helped me tweak a few of my bass's, and I've always wanted to assemble a Phil Lynott P-bass with him.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I'm 32, played in bands all my life and the only thing my dad asks me related to playing music is if i've made any money (no, i play noise rock and sludge metal) and how come I can't make music like Darude, it's a lot easier and i could make money. gently caress that dude.

Biggest bass regret is that my dog got the zoomies a few weeks ago. He took a good running start and then jumped on sofa and knocked it over. Too bad I'd left my first bass in a stand behind it. The sofa landed on my bass and snapped it's neck in to and shattered the headstock into a dozen little pieces. My grandad, who was a jazz bassist had given me that bass when I was 10 and despite being in a poor condition it had a lot of sentimental value :(

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Constipated posted:

Sorry for your loss, that gets me thinking about how little time I spend with my father. He didn't play music and didn't exactly encourage or support me when I begged for chores all summer long at age 15 to earn enough money to order a B.C. Rich Warlock (bronze series) for 200$..

Eventually after about a year when I was playing some of the rock songs he loved, he was like "alright, I think I like that he's doing this". He lent me 2,000$ to purchase the Warwick Dolphin Pro 2 I talked about last post, took awhile to repay him. That was so huge to me and I still can't believe he would do that, with how little he earns working. He has helped me tweak a few of my bass's, and I've always wanted to assemble a Phil Lynott P-bass with him.

Thank you. Build the bass with him.

Dyna Soar posted:

I'm 32, played in bands all my life and the only thing my dad asks me related to playing music is if i've made any money (no, i play noise rock and sludge metal) and how come I can't make music like Darude, it's a lot easier and i could make money. gently caress that dude.

Biggest bass regret is that my dog got the zoomies a few weeks ago. He took a good running start and then jumped on sofa and knocked it over. Too bad I'd left my first bass in a stand behind it. The sofa landed on my bass and snapped it's neck in to and shattered the headstock into a dozen little pieces. My grandad, who was a jazz bassist had given me that bass when I was 10 and despite being in a poor condition it had a lot of sentimental value :(

Sorry about your dad and the bass. Any way to fix the bass, even if it just becomes a wall hanger?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Heh, thanks man. I'm sure I'm not the only one with parents or relatives who don't quite get playing in dead end bands because it's a labour or love and an obsession, really.

I took the bass apart and then to recycling, the whole neck was ruined and it was in a really rough shape to begin with. It was a cheap japanese thing and modified crudely by my granddad and I hadn't played it for a decade. Still, kind of a bummer.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I just got my bow back from being re-haired, and between that and my new-to-me Shen I'm realizing just how much of a hindrance my old Engelhardt and bow was when I was in music school. My setup now is miles ahead of my old poo poo. Even the case is a million times better. Boo.

Just need to get my pickup and preamp situated, get a quiver and a stand of some sort and I'll be set.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I just got my bow back from being re-haired, and between that and my new-to-me Shen I'm realizing just how much of a hindrance my old Engelhardt and bow was when I was in music school. My setup now is miles ahead of my old poo poo. Even the case is a million times better. Boo.

Just need to get my pickup and preamp situated, get a quiver and a stand of some sort and I'll be set.

I read this and for some reason, my brain caught on the word "bow." I mean, I know what one is and what it's for and all that, but the word started rattling around in my noggin, and before I knew it, the following escaped my lips:

Well, you get down the fiddle and you get down the bow
Kick off your shoes 'n' you throw 'em in the floor
Dance in the kitchen 'til the morning light
Lou'siana Saturday Night!

And now that's stuck in my head.

Just out of curiosity, how hard is it to reliably amplify a double bass? I ask because this was one of the reasons that the Precision Bass was invented*. I was talking this over with my brother Bill and my other brother Jack when I had a belly full of beer and a possum in a sack DAMMIT!!

* shut up about Audiovox. No one has ever seen one and it was a 24" scale, assuming it's not an urban legend. Fifteen kids in the front porch light.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Someone plays one in my jazz ensemble that has a piezo slapped on. You need electronics but they sound fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It might just be my bias for all things Upton, but I absolutely love the sound of the Revolution Solo pickups that they promote.