Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gowb
Apr 14, 2005

BRing back haste but at level 8
Rename barachians hopgoblins
dart slugs are dart sluts

gowb fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Tollymain posted:

Pizzas as powerful single-use buffs and restoratives would be loving amazing not gonna lie. Comedy option: Nemelex is now god of pizza. Which slice will you bite into first?
Write-in option: Butchering things automatically produces pizza. Don't let it get cold though!

I'd really appreciate changing chunks to, like, samosas or rou jia mo or gyros or BLTs or something. I don't care if it doesn't make sense that a storm dragon is carrying 6 BLTs and a samosa, that's preferable to the disgusting image of constantly eating the raw meat of intelligent creatures you've butchered. I appreciate that's an aesthetic change that's probably not so important to others, though. I remember reading years ago a comment someone made in the days of contaminated chunks that one of the good reasons to keep centaur chunks clean was the vindictive feeling of eating that fucker after he shot you up with arrows.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 30, 2017

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Honestly, I'd really appreciate changing chunks to, like, samosas or rou jia mo or gyros or BLTs or something. I don't care if it doesn't make sense that a storm dragon is carrying 6 BLTs and a samosa, that's preferable to the disgusting image of constantly eating the raw meat of intelligent creatures you've butchered. I appreciate that's an aesthetic change that's probably not so important to others, though. I remember reading years ago a comment someone made in the days of contaminated chunks that one of the good reasons to keep centaur chunks clean was the vindictive feeling of eating that fucker after he shot you up with arrows.

i always play hill orcs these days so i justify it as eating the flesh of my enemies to absorb their power

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

gowb posted:

BRing back haste but at level 8

Haste sucked. It was only fun because it was so strong. I used to love it, and I did really get a rush at finding haste and learning it. But the spell was really bland. Nerfing it would only make it worse, since it would make the excitement of the big power boost available to fewer characters if you pushed it to a higher level or just straight up less exciting if you made it weaker. When the spell was removed from the book of wizardry and became much rarer, it didn't become more interesting. I think it should either come back as a boring spell that's fun from a strict, my numbers went way up, perspective, or it should stay gone. But maybe I'm just saying that because bringing back haste would stop me from writing cool spells to replace it.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 30, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Honestly, I'd really appreciate changing chunks to, like, samosas or rou jia mo or gyros or BLTs or something. I don't care if it doesn't make sense that a storm dragon is carrying 6 BLTs and a samosa, that's preferable to the disgusting image of constantly eating the raw meat of intelligent creatures you've butchered.
personally I think the best thing about chunk eating is that the player character is this disgusting weirdo who eats the raw flesh of their enemies all the time

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah and they don't even have the decency to tin it first!!!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Honestly Haste sucked. It was only fun because it was so strong. I used to love it, and I did really get a rush at finding haste and learning it. But the spell was really bland. Nerfing it would only make it worse, since it would make the excitement of the big power boost available to fewer characters if you pushed it to a higher level or just straight up less exciting if you made it weaker. When the spell was removed from the book of wizardry and became much rarer, it didn't become more interesting. I think it should either come back as a boring spell that's fun from a strict, my numbers went way up, perspective, or it should stay gone. But maybe I'm just saying that because bringing back haste would stop me from writing cool spells to replace it.

Recast it as an ultimate Hex/Charm Time Stop. For the next 3-6 auts you are still able to perform actions but none in your LOS can. Moving makes everything move relative to you, allowing you to do silly things like have them collide into walls (then each other) or setting up foes to be standing over deep water/lava. I'd love for damage to be wait until after time starts up and then be dealt all at once (giving indication that the enemy you struck is going to die) but that might be tricky to code. Casting the spell and moving sends Gong-level sound or more through the level and you're going to be Exhausted afterward (shouldering the burden of time is hard work).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
On pizza: add an unrand shield called the pandemonium pizza. While equipped, you have no food clock (or perhaps you gain a bit of satiation every time you block?)

On spells: I really think spells are way way more fun in Hellcrawl than trunk. When gooncrawl comes out and I play it I'll play melee dudes because otherwise it'll feel like a step back. Permabuffs and removing conjurations really did a ton of good imo.

On chunks: Making enemies all drop random extremely silly foods would be a good step in the right direction of whimsicality

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Charms/Translocations spell for hybrids, Void Cutter
On next melee attack, slice all enemies in straight line in the direction of attack, ignores evasion (and AC?), damage based on weapon skill with your wielded weapon, range based on spellpower

Video: https://youtu.be/z1XJYxdXDyg

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 30, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Time Stop would be cool for a lot of reasons, but my inner Vorthos says that Chei should hate it. Slowing down to enjoy the world is good. Making the world stop so you can do a bunch of things at once? Boooo.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Summoning is superior to long blades or conjuration by it's fundamental mechanics irrespective of the specifics of any of the spells because it provides defense, offense and utility simultaneously. I think that's the fundamental motivation behind the penalty and I don't think it's completely misguided.

But the penalty is both frustrating and extremely confusing. For example, what exactly incurs the penalty? Spectral weapons and Hep ancestors are special cased not to, but how would you know that? And what about spells like fulminant prism and conjure ball lightning. Those "summon" things, but do they incur the penalty? And what if you inner flame your minion. Does it exploding and killing everything incur the penalty? If it does, should it? There has to be a better way to keep summoning in check.

Conjurations also provides defense, offense, and utility simultaneously, because it kills things immediately, often en masse, and can sometimes actually create environmental hazards or NPCs to hide behind.

"Summoning is the strongest skill" is a meme on the level of "poison magic is super powerful early". In reality, we know that the endgame powerhouses are firestormers, not dragoncallers, because summoning magic is weird and fiddly and has long since had the nerfs required to bring it in line with other skills (caps on monsters per spell, the inability of your monsters to attack anything you're not looking at, etc).

Even if summoning was better than other skills, which it definitely isn't at this point, countering that with an XP penalty is stupid. Why don't kills with a triple sword yield less xp than kills with a greatsword?

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 30, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

PMush Perfect posted:

Time Stop would be cool for a lot of reasons, but my inner Vorthos says that Chei should hate it. Slowing down to enjoy the world is good. Making the world stop so you can do a bunch of things at once? Boooo.

Chei is about Taking it Easy, not freezing everyone in place so you can flit about like a busy bee.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Time Stop could be a spell that gives you a few turns of action, but since everything besides you and the items on your person is also frozen in time it is impossible to attack monsters, open doors, pick up items from the floor, animate corpses, etc for the duration.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
...so a more wordy blink?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That's kind of what I was trying to avoid with making a Haste replacement basically Translocation Except You Can Only Move Into Free Spaces. It becomes only an escape tool which isn't very interesting when compared to already existing options.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

World Famous W posted:

...so a more wordy blink?

You could also drink potions, read scrolls, swap equipment, cast other spells on yourself, etc. If you're on low life and staring down the barrel of a bunch of smite-capable demons or something, 1d4 turns in which to guzzle heal wounds or create and then back through clouds of smoke could be a lifesaver.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You'd probably have to disable MP regen during the time stop or there'd be ways to chain it forever (or explicitly disable chaining)

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

It could just give you contam like every other spell they don't want you casting repeatedly

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Posting the pizza survey again, I'm looking at closing it tomorrow afternoon (unless voting is super shallow, in which case I'll keep the survey open longer but potentially kick pizza to the next release):
https://goo.gl/forms/GMe31x8ZjvOegBRp2

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Please just make a hive-like optional branch called The Infernal Pizzeria

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

gently caress that, make it a full Pan plane. It's Pandemonium Pizza, after all.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

tote up a bags posted:

Please just make a hive-like optional branch called The Infernal Pizzeria

I miss the hive does anyone else?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The hive except it's all pizza guarded by bees.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I extremely do not miss the hive

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If Hive has to be brought back it should be as a timed branch

I do not particularly want there to be a timed branch full of nothing but killer bees and meliae though

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

How about a birds shrikes and the bees timed branch instead? :unsmigghh:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When pizza comes back will we also see the return of the vault with four turtles, a rat, and a bunch of pizza

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
Bring back haste but at level 1

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only fun thing about Hive was casting ignite poison.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

The only fun thing about Hive was casting ignite poison.

spines demonspawn was fun in there. just a thousand insect murking themslves on you is cool

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BrandorKP posted:

The hive except it's all pizza guarded by bees.

This is a good plan, I like it.

EDIT:

Floodkiller please update my pizza vote comment to include this as a requirement and my number 1 choice --

cheetah7071 posted:

When pizza comes back will we also see the return of the vault with four turtles, a rat, and a bunch of pizza

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

somebody make a pizzeria random floor of Pandemonium, like the disco ball floor or the heaven floor

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

If you can find the name of the vault, then I can probably do this regardless of the outcome of the vote.

Edit: I moved all the important wiki documents into the repository (under docs/gooncrawl). This lets me open the wiki for public editing; all you need to do to edit is make a GitHub account. I made a bunch of design pages for stuff that was on the survey, but feel free to add your own pages as well (create a page first, then add a link to it under the Designs subsection by editing the sidebar).

Please be respectful and don't get into an edit war over an opinion/idea you dislike (just leave a comment under the opinion/idea about your feedback). If it devolves into vandalism I'll have to look into a wiki solution elsewhere that provides better security/permissions tools, but I would prefer not to have to spend the time to do so at the moment.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 31, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I looked through the commit history and that vault might have been a fever dream, I can't find it

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

cheetah7071 posted:

I looked through the commit history and that vault might have been a fever dream, I can't find it

Are you sure you're not thinking of the bonus level in Nuclear Throne?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Well, then, write the vault anyway and Floodkiller can add it.

No fear.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Hmm, it seems that they've made Shatter damage insubstantial monsters, which screws up my plan for a necromancer/earth mage who uses Haunt, Death Channel, and Shatter all together.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Unfortunately I don't think snapping turtles are appropriate enemies for sewers because that would be the ideal

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

cheetah7071 posted:

Unfortunately I don't think snapping turtles are appropriate enemies for sewers because that would be the ideal

New monster: juvenile snapping turtle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Take a look at how the sewer with the weakened siren works; might be a 1:1 with how to modify the snapping turtles.

• Locked thread