Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You rotated circadian every week? That doesn't help much. By the time you start adjusting too a cycle you're rotated again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I thought 6-6 was the worst until I did 8-8

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Guess I feel lucky I had port/starboard 12-12 for my ship and Afghan deployments. Ended up knowing everyone else working around that time and just things seemed better. Long days but short weeks.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

M_Gargantua posted:

You rotated circadian every week? That doesn't help much. By the time you start adjusting too a cycle you're rotated again.

As someone who has done multiple deployments 6-6-6, circadian weekly, and circadian biweekly, let me assure you that the improvement in quality of life going from 6-6-6 to circadian weekly is vastly greater than the improvement from circadian weekly to circadian biweekly.

Also as someone who did a deployment 4-section I highly recommend being overmanned.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
What's the deal with the aligning EAOS with duty station length instruction that came out?

Everyone at my command is freaking out over it. Had 3 different 1st classes going around telling everyone they were gonna get extended involuntarily till their prd if there EAOS is before their prd. I haven't had time to read it but that doesn't sound right.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cerekk posted:

As someone who has done multiple deployments 6-6-6, circadian weekly, and circadian biweekly, let me assure you that the improvement in quality of life going from 6-6-6 to circadian weekly is vastly greater than the improvement from circadian weekly to circadian biweekly.

Also as someone who did a deployment 4-section I highly recommend being overmanned.

yeah i would take weekly circadian over any other watch rotation even if it's not optimal. gently caress five and god damned dimes and even cycling four section watches sucked because of all the non-watch work that needed to be done. with even weekly circadian it was nice to be able to set time to specific things and have it occur daily instead of bouncing around to something different every single day.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Virginia Slams posted:

What's the deal with the aligning EAOS with duty station length instruction that came out?

Everyone at my command is freaking out over it. Had 3 different 1st classes going around telling everyone they were gonna get extended involuntarily till their prd if there EAOS is before their prd. I haven't had time to read it but that doesn't sound right.

no it isn't involuntary. here's what I gleaned from the navadmin: co's authority to extend sailors without cway is now permanent where before it was just a pilot program. any new pcs orders will include obliservs that extend EAOS to PRD. Anyone currently in school that has orders already cut has the option to align as well or execute as written. Current people in the situation where they are out before PRD now have unlimited option to extend up to two years to align the dates, but nothing seems mandatory.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
I don't quite understand how watch rotations still can be a topic today, by all rights it's something the British should have had figured out in the 1700s.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Default Settings posted:

I don't quite understand how watch rotations still can be a topic today, by all rights it's something the British should have had figured out in the 1700s.

Funny thing about the watch rotations that the British figured out in the 1700s...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Stultus Maximus posted:

Funny thing about the watch rotations that the British figured out in the 1700s...

do tell?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Are the ones we still use. Because the Navy is stupid.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Stultus Maximus posted:

Are the ones we still use. Because the Navy is stupid.

We use dog watches still?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

We use dog watches still?

We did as of ten years ago, dunno about now but surface Navy doesn't change much.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

:chiefsay: By god, if it worked for Lord Nelson, it can work today!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Bring back impressment.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Bring back impressment.

Start by Shanghaiing homeless in San Diego. Put them all in deck dept and I bet most wouldn't notice the difference.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Start by Shanghaiing homeless in San Diego. Put them all in deck dept and I bet most wouldn't notice the difference.

I'm pretty sure that's how they recruit the yardworkers in Norfolk.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Bring back impressment.

Bring back rum.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm pretty sure that's how they recruit the yardworkers in Norfolk.

Seriously, getting a job in the shipyards as a helper, lowest of the low, takes nearly a year from start to finish.

Hell I still got an application in that I did in February.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Seriously, getting a job in the shipyards as a helper, lowest of the low, takes nearly a year from start to finish.

Hell I still got an application in that I did in February.

Really? Either you're talking about the serious let's build a carrier yards like Newport News or things have really changed. Both times I was at Metro Machine, it was shady as gently caress. The "helpers" were getting fired daily for everything from safety violations to fighting to sleeping on the job and there was never a shortage of new ones.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

This is Bremerton so i guess “lets refuel a submarine” is a bigger deal.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

This is Bremerton so i guess “lets refuel a submarine” is a bigger deal.

Yeah. Metro Machine did frigates and small deck amphibs. And anything involving frigates and amphibs is cut-rate and shady.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Every time I go to shipyard I am horrified to realize that they are where ships loving COME FROM.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

A little more intel on the kid who holed up in the Shiloh's engine room: https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/12/30/exclusive-how-peter-mims-spent-a-week-hiding-in-a-warships-engine-room/

quote:

Before he disappeared from the cruiser Shiloh on June 8, Mims was known for making crazy-yet-sincere claims. Shipmates recalled him saying he had been to space, and that he could shoot fireballs out of his hands.

He was covered in urine and feces, and had a camelback, a multi-tool, Peeps candy and an empty peanut butter jar with him.

Mims could have been apprehended prior to his discovery when another sailor spotted him in the middle of the night, days earlier. But that sailor just went back to sleep instead of sounding the alarm.

“His enthusiasm and motivation are contagious!” a supervisor wrote on his eval. “A rock-solid performer with unlimited potential!”

Mims also told the sailor he believed there were hidden messages in the movie titles listed in the June 8 plan of the day.

“(Main engine room) 2 catacombs were not cleared because of overwhelming smells, assumed at the time to be fuel and oil, but later assessed to be urine and feces,” the investigation states.

How do you smell urine and poo poo and go "Yeah smells like fuel and oil.".

Sounds like an awful command climate drove someone with issues way off the deep end.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

quote:

“His enthusiasm and motivation are contagious!” a supervisor wrote on his eval. “A rock-solid performer with unlimited potential!”

Sure, insane guy on a ship. But this line feels fairly telling.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

He was covered in urine and feces, and had a camelback, a multi-tool, Peeps candy and an empty peanut butter jar with him.

I dunno he seemed to have a rock solid plan.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the only sane man in the navy

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

piL posted:

Sure, insane guy on a ship. But this line feels fairly telling.

Well yea, those are bottom of the barrel p eval bullets.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

Well yea, those are bottom of the barrel p eval bullets.

I had only seen an article title asking how someone with such great evals could be that bad and then reading those lines I am laughing at people who don't know the red flag words.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

I had only seen an article title asking how someone with such great evals could be that bad and then reading those lines I am laughing at people who don't know the red flag words.

If only our eval system wasn't retarded we wouldn't need to use dumb code words for failures

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Could someone explain for the peanut gallery?

I read that eval and it sounds like "well this kid is nice but he hasn't done poo poo".

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

Could someone explain for the peanut gallery?

I read that eval and it sounds like "well this kid is nice but he hasn't done poo poo".

Unlimited potential basically means he hasn't done poo poo and won't.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Unlimited potential basically means he hasn't done poo poo and won't.

THAT SON OF A BITCH

I thought it was a nice sounding eval too....

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The supervisor probably didn't even write that eval regardless. Some jackass 2nd class probably cut and pasted a bunch of bullet points from other peoples old evals on the share drive and someone up the chain just signed it.

EDIT: Also my friend's eval had 'Needs more Jesus in his life' since he wrote his own.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 31, 2017

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I bet if you could find an eval from 20 years ago it would sound nearly the same as they do now, just with slightly different 'point' scales.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ded posted:

I bet if you could find an eval from 20 years ago it would sound nearly the same as they do now, just with slightly different 'point' scales.

There are only so many awful canned Navy phrases you can squeeze through the alcoholic holes in the brain of your trusty Chiefs and above.

Apparently changing anything to be better is against the rules. Gotta go with the stuff their old chiefs liked. And they went off the stuff their old chiefs liked...etc etc

Moral of the story is drink until it makes sense.

Edit:
Action. Impact. Result! This bullet needs work

NAVY MENTOR. Dedicated 6 man minutes to educating civilian and joint service members on naval evaluation process. Efforts led to 3 promotions and a 100% increase in having a dick sucked from the back.

***MY #1 EP. MODEL SAILOR PROMOTE TO WHATEVER NOW!***

this would have been in the post but department kicked it back for not having two spaces after the periods like it was teletype and mattered.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 31, 2017

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
One time Sarkazm and I put "Has a really cute wife, for a dweeb" under a technician's strengths on a midterm. He did, and I still have no idea how he duped her into marriage. We were seriously hurting for strengths.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

“Has not caused any major loss of material this quarter”

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

ded posted:

I looked up my eval from 2001 and had a good laugh.

code:
Seaman DustyNuts is a mature, motivated individual with a desire to learn.  He possesses the
qualities and potential to be an outstanding Personnelman.  His accomplishments include:
- Expediently completes service record entries with minimal error.
- Contributed to the success of Admin Department receiving a grade of "satisfactory"
during the Division in the Spotlight review.
- Assisted the DCPO on gasket replacement and valve maintenance throughout the Ship's Office
spaces, thereby making them fully inspection ready.
- Completed at least 20 percent of his ESWS qualification, a testimony of his initiative
and desire to broaden his professional knowledge.
- Provides "outstanding" customer service to the crew.
Seaman DustyNuts has the attitude, ideals, and military bearing to succeed in today's Navy.  He
is strongly recommended for advancement.
I'm the use of both present and past tense, minimal error, 20 percent ESWS, and quote "outstanding" customer service. :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Taking notes thanks