Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i was introduced to webcomics through gunnerkrigg court somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

WrathOfBlade posted:

Just want to second this recommendation in a completely unsuspicious non-promotional manner
(no but seriously thanks, glad you're digging it)

Hey I clicked on that link and I've been binging the archives today, it's pretty neat.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Tollymain posted:

i was introduced to webcomics through gunnerkrigg court somehow

poor soul

you started at the top and now there's nowhere to go but down

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
My first “real” webcomic experience was Life of Reilly, and what a cocktease that one was. It loved going up its own rear end more than moving the plot forward, it gave El Goonish Shiv a run for its money in indulging its creators’ fetishes, and then died on the doorstep of actually paying off a whole bunch of the plot points it had accumulated since it flipped from being a gag a day strip to an ongoing story.

In hindsight, it wasn’t as anywhere as good as I thought it was at the time, but godDAMN I would still love to know what the endgame was for that story because it was sure going places near the end.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was on the internet early enough that mine was Sluggy Freelance.

I hated it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think Penny Arcade was my doorway into webcomics I think my first not-gag-a-day webcomic was El Goonish Shive, I'm ashamed to say. I was young and stupid. Thankfully I outgrew it. I think I next went onto Problem Sleuth, and I briefly went into the Questionable Content rabbithole and Schlock Mercenary, and then I found Scary Go Round/Bad Machinery, Hark a Vagrant & Nedroid, and I've not really looked back since.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My first webcomic was Megatokyo

:shepicide:

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Unicorn Jelly.

My first webcomic was Unicorn Jelly.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh man I had my whole routine I would open three browsers because it predated tabs and in one page open up thepokemasters.com and in the other thepokemasters.com chat applet because I couldn’t figure IRC out yet and in the third I’d visit my webcomics in order, Life of Wiley Bob and George Adventurers! Sinfest and depending on the day of the week RPGWorld Comics

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I can't remember any of the ones I read first, but they did lead me to the oldest one I still follow. Which has recently, and unbelievably, started updating again: Captain SNES.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Galvanik posted:

I can't remember any of the ones I read first, but they did lead me to the oldest one I still follow. Which has recently, and unbelievably, started updating again: Captain SNES.

I don't believe you. Captain SNES was never real it was always on hiatus

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
My first webcomic was 8-bit Theater, found (of all things) through a Deus Ex modding site. The second was Something Positive. That was it for a while until one day Milholland made a post about exploring through Keenspot to find worthwhile webcomics and there was a list. The only two I vaguely remember from this were The Phoenix Requiem, which was eventually completed, and something called Pointless, a story which stopped updating abruptly a few months later. Looking back at it now, it sucked.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My first webcomic was the garbage pile of Fireball20xl, which if you don't remember what that is, you're probably all the better for it. The guy who ran the site turned out to be a pedophile and all-around bad person, and I think basically the entire site has been purged by this point. There were a lot of webcomics by other people on his site, which I think I liked more (even if they all had a habit of mysteriously going on indefinite hiatus that makes more sense now), but everything I remember about That's My Sonic was uniformly garbage that I only ever tolerated because I was too young and dumb to know better.

I was already reading Foxtrot online beforehand, but that's not exactly a webcomic. Later I would branch out into reading things like Bob and George and 8-Bit Theater (I read a lot more sprite comics than I should've) and then later I started combing the top webcomics list and started reading things like El Goonish Shive and Girl Genius.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Sinfest brings me back.

Sinfest and... Mac Hall? Was that the name?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's a name.

The Mac Hall guys are still doing pretty good comics as Three Panel Soul.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Acid Reflux :corsair:

The first real webcomic hub site I read regularly was...Big Panda? Was that the one that had Crosby's Superosity and Sluggy & etc.? It had a lot of the early successful webcomics.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Neophyte posted:

Acid Reflux :corsair:

The first real webcomic hub site I read regularly was...Big Panda? Was that the one that had Crosby's Superosity and Sluggy & etc.? It had a lot of the early successful webcomics.

Keenspot.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Regy Rusty posted:

Gotcha beat- I had a couple of the books for awhile.

Anyone else remember Real Life?

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

Just Offscreen posted:

Anyone else remember Real Life?

That was my first webcomic! I could not remember what it was called until you mentioned it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
My first webcomic was some... gag a day comic with a "[character] and [character]" name and I want to say one of them was a penguin? But most importantly it had a link to Order of the Stick I eventually discovered and THAT had links at the time to a bunch of other stuff.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i think my first webcomics were sluggy freelance and 9th elsewhere

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

My first webcomic was some... gag a day comic with a "[character] and [character]" name and I want to say one of them was a penguin? But most importantly it had a link to Order of the Stick I eventually discovered and THAT had links at the time to a bunch of other stuff.

When you think about it there was something fairly magical about the fact that webcomics used to cross-promote just to other webcomics that the creators liked, not as part of an advertising program or cross-brand synergy but purely on the basis of enthusiasm for the material.

Obviously it had side benefits but there's still something pure and kinda sweet about it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Android Blues posted:

When you think about it there was something fairly magical about the fact that webcomics used to cross-promote just to other webcomics that the creators liked, not as part of an advertising program or cross-brand synergy but purely on the basis of enthusiasm for the material.

Obviously it had side benefits but there's still something pure and kinda sweet about it.

That was pretty much how I found Life of Reilly. They did a tiny crossover with Penny Arcade and I was like “wow, this looks a lot cooler than whatever PA’s doing”.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Regy Rusty posted:

Same. Then Bob and George. It was really weird when I found out that Webcomics could actually be interesting and entertaining.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I do not recall my very first webcomic. I believe it might've been either VGCats, 8BT, CTRL+ALT+DEL, or some other poo poo like that. I've since learned better though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

i miss you pokey the penguin

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
I don't remember what my first webcomic was I do remember at one point being really fond of Dominic Deegan in particular. The 'heroic rapist' storyline killed my interest in DD rather quickly though.

Nowadays I read things like Awkward Zombie, Kiwi Blitz and The Draw Play. Oh, and I guess I read Gunnerkrigg Court too.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I wonder what will be the garbage webcomic of the 2010s that got people in the genre but they'll regret one day.

Homestuck?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Then you'll be happy to know that after four and a half years and nearly $300,000 in a few months there might be part of a visual novel coming out!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

...wow, has it really been thirteen years?

I can confirm for you that nothing has happened in QC during that timeframe.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mine...

Was Walky :negative:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mine was Girly. And then the usuals (bobandgeorge, 8bit, megatokyo).

Webcomics are weird, man.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

I can confirm for you that nothing has happened in QC during that timeframe.

Lots of things happened, though.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ozy and Millie prepared me for everything on the Internet having the author's creepy fetishes injected into it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

At least she cleaned up well and is producing Phoebe and her Unicorn and doing well. :unsmith:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Man, I really don't have a clue what my first webcomic was. I know I started early. Might have been...User Friendly? Which looks exactly the same now as it did in 1997. It pre-dates Penny Arcade and PVP by a few months.
I know I used to follow Sabrina Online, which started in '96, but I know I wasn't reading it back then. Zebragirl started pretty early, around 2000, I think. Same goes for Sinfest and Exploitation Now.

I used to have my browser (Opera) launch with like 50 webcomic tabs as my way of keeping up pre-RSS, but I'm sure that startup file is long gone now.

[Edit] Found some of my old bookmarks...I completely forgot about Ultima Online comics. Like B0N3D00D and pLaTeDeWd and imanewbie, both of which are somehow still online.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 31, 2017

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Samuringa posted:

I wonder what will be the garbage webcomic of the 2010s that got people in the genre but they'll regret one day.

Homestuck?

I don't know if you can still have that same meandering webcomic experience these days since webcomics are now an established thing with some conventions. A lot of that wild west wasteland feeling (where you didn't know if you were going to be jumped at by a horrible political screed or fetish out of nowhere) has changed.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

mycot posted:

I don't know if you can still have that same meandering webcomic experience these days since webcomics are now an established thing with some conventions. A lot of that wild west wasteland feeling (where you didn't know if you were going to be jumped at by a horrible political screed or fetish out of nowhere) has changed.

because now you've learned that you will definitely be jumped at by a political screed and/or fetish?

the webcomics that were basically Garfield... but with gaming/in a coffeeshop! have been around since the start, as has the hosed up weirdo poo poo. The quality on the wierdo poo poo has generally gone up as more actually talented people have decided it's a viable medium to spend their time that's actually worth something on, that's about all that's changed, nobody's shut the total nutbars out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.
My first webcomic was also Megatokyo, unfortunately.

Also when I was 13 years old or so I got in trouble for reading Chugworth Academy out of morbid curiosity and my parents found it in the history. Boy am I glad it was just that and not that other really really horrible thing about anime girls that guy ended up doing.