Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Egbert Souse posted:

"Guest Star" seems like it's simply contract speak. Contracts also stipulate whether a name is before the title, how many other names appear on-screen with it, as well as credits like "and Bob Bobberson" or "with Bob Robberson" or "Bob Robberson as Bob"

Marlene Dietrich and Zsa Zsa Gabor are credited as "guest stars" on Touch of Evil, but apparently both worked for scale and were brought on after casting was already completed at the behest of Orson Welles.

Chloe Sevigny gets credited as guest star on Bloodline but she's in it pretty regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

iajanus posted:

My favourite compromise when two stars demand top billing is putting one on the bottom left and the other top right so they each get to be first depending on whether you read left / right or up /down.

That works got on screen but it has to be resolved one way or another for the billing block.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Has anyone ever seen this Life and Adventures of Santa Clause from Rankin/Bass? Vox had something where they ranked all their holiday specials, where it didn't get rated very high, but I watched the opening credits and it looks batshit insane and I kind of want to watch it now.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Egbert Souse posted:

"Guest Star" seems like it's simply contract speak. Contracts also stipulate whether a name is before the title, how many other names appear on-screen with it, as well as credits like "and Bob Bobberson" or "with Bob Robberson" or "Bob Robberson as Bob"

Marlene Dietrich and Zsa Zsa Gabor are credited as "guest stars" on Touch of Evil, but apparently both worked for scale and were brought on after casting was already completed at the behest of Orson Welles.

Yeah, it's a pay thing but i dont know the details. for series its obvious that a guest star is temporary:

regular cast get X money
guest stars get Y money

not sure who is paid comparably more for their time though.

also, theres:
- introducing
- featuring
- "and" (after everyone else, but more important)
- probably several more

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
"Introducing" tends to either be a hot new (usually female) actor or a joke (didn't like Machete or something have a "and Introducing Carlos Sheen")

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It used to be used for child actors.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Introducing Edward Furlong, he's really going places. Like into a loving trash can.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Why are Dutch Angles called Dutch Angles?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Because they were a big thing in German Expressionism. Dutsch in this case is actually Deutsch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Powaqoatse posted:

Yeah, it's a pay thing but i dont know the details. for series its obvious that a guest star is temporary:

regular cast get X money
guest stars get Y money

not sure who is paid comparably more for their time though.

also, theres:
- introducing
- featuring
- "and" (after everyone else, but more important)
- probably several more

IIRC how it works is that a "Guest Star" on a TV show only gets paid for the episodes they appear in but they also don't have any contractual obligation to stay on the show and can take off whenever they want. While a "Regular/Recurring" star is more of a steady thing where you're getting paid even if you don't show up in that episode but you also have an obligation to that show and have to run anything else you want to do by the producers. This is what caused Brosnan to lose out on being Bond earlier in his career when the producers of Remington Steele refused to play ball.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Why are Dutch Angles called Dutch Angles?

Like why do the Pennsylvania Dutch sound awfully German. It's because even when America was new we were getting immigrants mixed up.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dutch is literally just an Anglicisation of "Deutsch" so technically the hosed up thing is calling the Netherlanders Germans.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Leavemywife posted:

I was watching MST3K, The Giant Spider Invasion, and during the opening credits, a guest star is listed. Crow asks, "How do you have a guest star in a movie?"

That's my question. How do you have a guest star in a movie?

An actor told me once that agents will sometimes negotiate for these credits if they are unable to negotiate for more money.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Like why do the Pennsylvania Dutch sound awfully German. It's because even when America was new we were getting immigrants mixed up.

Would "German Angles" be more accurate, why? I'm not super familiar with early German film, but I don't remember Fritz Lang or Lenni Riefenstahl using them a lot.

I prefer the term Batman Angle, because the Adam West show used them all the goddamn time.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They were a thing in the German Expressionist films of the 1920s. Then in the early 30s a bunch of directors and cinematographers and other film people became refugees due to the whole Hitler thing and settled in America. They brought elements from expressionism into their American work, a lot of which was later categorised as film noir. One of those elements being the crooked framing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Would "German Angles" be more accurate, why? I'm not super familiar with early German film, but I don't remember Fritz Lang or Lenni Riefenstahl using them a lot.

I prefer the term Batman Angle, because the Adam West show used them all the goddamn time.

I'm struggling to remember my film 101 material, but Dutch Angles were more of a 1920's thing. I don't recall if Lenni Riefenstahl was working then and what I've seen of her style that cinematography didn't really apply.

I don't think Metropolis used Dutch Angles but apparently Fritz Lang's movie M used them a lot. Than again I never got to film 102 so I have no idea.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think it was Berlin, Symphony of a Great City that popularized angled shots. In turn, 1929's Man with a Movie Camera also has some (as well as Vertov's other works from that period like Enthusiasm and Three Songs of Lenin).

The 1928 American short version of The Fall of the House of Usher has a lot of canted angles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxjCWleWXf4

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The English were in trade wars with the Netherlands for hundreds of years, and they decided to use "dutch" as a slur adjective on everything. Dutch angles are crooked. Dutch ovens are farting under the bedsheets. "Going Dutch" came from "a Dutch treat" which is when you force your dining guest to pay for themselves. A ditch wife is a prostitute, etc.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I think this is the right thread. I have a vague recollection of a movie I saw as a child in the early-mid 90s. I don't remember much beyond there being a giant bat and it was killed with music? It may be a fever dream and not actually exist or it could be a TV show or music video?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Len posted:

I think this is the right thread. I have a vague recollection of a movie I saw as a child in the early-mid 90s. I don't remember much beyond there being a giant bat and it was killed with music? It may be a fever dream and not actually exist or it could be a TV show or music video?

Rock & Rule?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Skwirl posted:

I think the frame actually slowly shifts into a Dutch Angle during Adam West's appearance on the Simpsons (in the Mr.Plow episode). It's been a while since I saw it but I remember it being a bit disorienting.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-mkiTpWJhg

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 30, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is the disaster artist funny if you dont have any of the context?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The guy I sat next to in the cinema had only vaguely heard of The Room via a friend, and he was laughing all the way through.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

is the disaster artist funny if you dont have any of the context?

Yes, absolutely. Though it also depends on your Franco tolerance. Mine is high so I loved it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For those either older than me (36) or with cooler parents, and you saw Terminator first and saw T2 in the cinema... was it a big ‘oh poo poo’ moment when Arnie turns out to be a good guy? Or did the marketing completely ruin that? I don’t remember the trailer, but I know the teaser is in the factory and doesn’t give anything away.

I saw T2 on premium cable, but knew nothing about the original so didn’t realize the film was trying to pull a fast one with the characterization.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The marketing and in cinemas trailer basically gave it away.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s a shame, I was hoping pre-internet era might’ve just been enough. Must’ve been awesome for anyone trapped in a bubble, though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

For those either older than me (36) or with cooler parents, and you saw Terminator first and saw T2 in the cinema... was it a big ‘oh poo poo’ moment when Arnie turns out to be a good guy? Or did the marketing completely ruin that? I don’t remember the trailer, but I know the teaser is in the factory and doesn’t give anything away.

I saw T2 on premium cable, but knew nothing about the original so didn’t realize the film was trying to pull a fast one with the characterization.

I was not old enough to see T1 or 2 but I recall Schwarzenegger telling James Cameron (while being offered two giant bags of money with $$$$ on the side) I vant to be the hero.

Cameron was like, naw you're the villain. I think Arnie won that battle.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The You Could Be Mine video played all day every day and I bet many more people rented T1 to catch up with the hype (like 12 year old me and friends) than were annoyed about spoilers.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Chop Sunni posted:

The You Could Be Mine video played all day every day and I bet many more people rented T1 to catch up with the hype (like 12 year old me and friends) than were annoyed about spoilers.

Although Arnold does spare GnR at the end of the video so good/bad status was still ambivalent

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Arnie being the good guy was spoiled but not the t1000 being liquid metal. I remember thinking the chrome holes being made with the shotgun in the first hallway encounter were slugs smashing against him. Then the t1000 kind of looks at that silver mannequin and we’re all like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

So when he walks out of the burning semi was an actual movie moment of surprise.

James Cameron movies hold up incredibly well. I watched the Abyss recently and it’s still awesome.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Krispy Wafer posted:

Arnie being the good guy was spoiled but not the t1000 being liquid metal. I remember thinking the chrome holes being made with the shotgun in the first hallway encounter were slugs smashing against him. Then the t1000 kind of looks at that silver mannequin and we’re all like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

So when he walks out of the burning semi was an actual movie moment of surprise.

James Cameron movies hold up incredibly well. I watched the Abyss recently and it’s still awesome.

Goddamn The Abyss is so so so good. One of my fave movies ever. Also a great behind the scenes making of. That was some seriously hard poo poo to film.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
meh, the disaster artist had a couple funny moments, but I think if I had seen the original I may have 'gotten' it more. It was a vaguely interesting/funny movie about a weird dude and a bad movie I'd never heard of.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

Goddamn The Abyss is so so so good. One of my fave movies ever. Also a great behind the scenes making of. That was some seriously hard poo poo to film.

I haven't seen any behind the scenes features, but I do remember Ed Harris almost dying multiple times during the production and pretty much vowing to never work around water or James Cameron again.

Watching it initially I always felt like it ended kind of abruptly. Then I saw the extended cut and was like, yeah, they should have ended it abruptly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ed Harris literally punched Cameron in the face over it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Krispy Wafer posted:

I haven't seen any behind the scenes features, but I do remember Ed Harris almost dying multiple times during the production and pretty much vowing to never work around water or James Cameron again.

Watching it initially I always felt like it ended kind of abruptly. Then I saw the extended cut and was like, yeah, they should have ended it abruptly.
Yeah he really didn’t nail the ending of that one.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Ed Harris literally punched Cameron in the face over it.

I didn't think I could love Ed Harris more than I already did.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Based on James Cameron's later submersible-based exploits, can we assume that Ed Harris punching him taught Cameron the importance of safety?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

Based on James Cameron's later submersible-based exploits, can we assume that Ed Harris punching him taught Cameron the importance of safety?

At last report he was having child actors on Avatar 2 being trained to hold their breath underwater for as long as three minutes, so... No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Timby posted:

At last report he was having child actors on Avatar 2 being trained to hold their breath underwater for as long as three minutes, so... No.

It at least taught him to only pull that poo poo on people who are too small to hurt him.