Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I meant to say at the time. That said, horror games still don't really get to me. The only games to really instill a sense of dread in me since are the Dark Souls games. They do a great job at exploiting the fear of the unknown.

But this is the Star Wars thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

TheNewt posted:

You must of not played many games.
When I was 5 I remember being scared of Mortal Kombat. I also remember when I was little I played Halo and was scared shitless of the flood and didn't even bother fighting, I just ran. Playing it years later I wasn't scared because I knew they were just generic monsters.
Tl;dr kids get scared easily.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

The visual theme of the scene is black leather and fire, representing temptation and passion. Anakin speaks of being scarred and unable to breathe. The whole thing is obviously prefiguring Mustafar and Anakin's transformation into Vader.

The whole reason Darth Vader chokes people in the OT is because he envies them what he doesn't have. It's the same in Episode III. As he says in the fireplace scene, the thought of not being with Padme renders him unable to breathe. So when Padme says she can't be with him anymore on Mustafar, he chokes her in revenge, because she strangled him first with her rejection. It ties back directly to the dialogue in the fireplace scene, and so does the imagery. Padme's kiss in Episode II does become a scar--an unimaginably gruesome one.

Awesome. Its fun on rewatch to see that Padme’s hair and the lighting mirrors their final conversation on Mustafar, and that some of the lines are repeated in an even darker light in ROTS (“you’re going down a path I can’t follow”, “I will do whatever you ask”)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This can't be true, the graphics are perfect already.

They added sun-shafts which actually look pretty good and you can change the fog distance; also some of the levels have redesigns in certain parts, nothing major though. The game really holds up well, 2 on the other hand is quite a mess.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/12/30/box-office-star-wars-the-last-jedi-has-2nd-best-3rd-friday-drop-ever-for-100m-opener/

I seriously think the Forbes writers are having a proxy fight in their articles. This one has begun making fun of a refrain used by the other article writer and it's basically saying not to jump to conclusions.

Anyway, The Last Jedi made a billion dollars. It's going to make more money. And it's actually now experiencing less drops then its predecessors in its third week.

Like it, hate it: Disney made a billion dollars with the movie which is better than what they can expect from any of their other properties.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Is it the regular Joe and the studio execs who are out of touch, or the Star Wars fan who is out of touch?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Good thing that the bland franchise movie has been validated at the box office.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

dialhforhero posted:

Is it the regular Joe and the studio execs who are out of touch, or the Star Wars fan who is out of touch?

The "Star Wars fan" is out of touch.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Fans being out of touch isn't at all mutually exclusive with the fact that The Last Jedi is a bad movie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
For those who were concerned with box office takes; TLJ has made its billion.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wa...ice-1202233919/

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

jivjov posted:

For those who were concerned with box office takes; TLJ has made its billion.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wa...ice-1202233919/

Hosanna!

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
I walked into this movie a few minutes late due to problems picking up my reserved ticket. Did I miss something that explained why the Resistance ships only left the base with enough fuel for 2 hyperspace "jumps," when fuel limitations have literally never been an issue in any of the previous movies?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

INH5 posted:

I walked into this movie a few minutes late due to problems picking up my reserved ticket. Did I miss something that explained why the Resistance ships only left the base with enough fuel for 2 hyperspace "jumps," when fuel limitations have literally never been an issue in any of the previous movies?

Yeah there was a scene where Holdo sat Poe down and explained the writer had to come up with a plot point to explain their predicament but Poe didn't take it very well.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It's the "why don't I have to gas up my car in GTA" meme but realized.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 31, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

INH5 posted:

So no new things, okay.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

INH5 posted:

It was a hurried evacuation, and it was explicitly stated that they didn't have time to load everything onto transports. Oh, and this is not the first time limited hyperspace capability has been a plot point. Remember The Phantom Menace? Due to damage, a leaky hyperdrive had shorter range than expected.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Going back further much of Empire Strikes back was Han being chased through an asteroid field because his hyperdrive was a piece of poo poo.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

jivjov posted:

It was a hurried evacuation, and it was explicitly stated that they didn't have time to load everything onto transports. Oh, and this is not the first time limited hyperspace capability has been a plot point. Remember The Phantom Menace? Due to damage, a leaky hyperdrive had shorter range than expected.

Okay, I stand corrected. In TPM there was a line about the ship only having enough power to get to Tatooine. Still, that was because the hyperdrive had been damaged. Ditto for ESB. In this movie, did they explicitly say at any point that the hyperdrives on all 3 ships were broken, or that they just didn't have enough time to gas up all of their ships?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Ultra Carp

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Going back further much of Empire Strikes back was Han being chased through an asteroid field because his hyperdrive was a piece of poo poo.

Eh, that was just because it was flat-out broken, not because of any kind of fuel issue.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

INH5 posted:

Star Wars isn't real, and we've apparently never been privy to conversations about fuel until now. So it goes.

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 31, 2017

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The mechanical knowledge of "hit the dashboard" has been lost in the intervening 30 years... so many Resistance lives could have been saved...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

INH5 posted:

Okay, I stand corrected. In TPM there was a line about the ship only having enough power to get to Tatooine. Still, that was because the hyperdrive had been damaged. Ditto for ESB. In this movie, did they explicitly say at any point that the hyperdrives on all 3 ships were broken, or that they just didn't have enough time to gas up all of their ships?

In TLJ, as far as we know, it was simply a lack of available fuel. Presumably due to the hurried evac, but that is just speculation on my part.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The mechanical knowledge of "hit the dashboard" has been lost in the intervening 30 years... so many Resistance lives could have been saved...

They hosed up what could have been a cool callback moment to this when Luke enters the falcon's cockpit. It lights up and they play it up like it's this special sacred moment. They should have had the lights blink on and off and the sound of an engine trying to rev and dying instead of the holy reverence they tried to give it in this movie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ruddiger posted:

They hosed up what could have been a cool callback moment to this when Luke enters the falcon's cockpit. It lights up and they play it up like it's this special sacred moment. They should have had the lights blink on and off and the sound of an engine trying to rev and dying instead of the holy reverence they tried to give it in this movie.

Well keep in mind that people other than Han and Chewie had the Falcon for much of the intervening time. We found out in TFA that Ducain, Unkar Plutt, and Rey herself had done mechanical work on the Falcon. Maybe someone finally fixed the loose wire under that one panel?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

So when they figured out that the bad guys had only the one hyperspace tracker, why didn't the Resistance ships all scatter and jump in different directions, so that all but one would make it? Yeah, they'd probably end up losing the cruiser, since the FO would be most likely to follow that one, but it seemed they'd have had plenty of time to shuttle people to other ships first.

Or am I misunderstanding how the tracker works -- like maybe when they all jump the scanner would just say "THIS ship went THERE, THAT ship went THATAWAY" and the FO could just split their own fleet and send a few destroyers after each one. But even so, couldn't they just jump again and be safe? Any chase party that doesn't include Snoke's flagship wouldn't be able to track them again. .

I admit it's a really small point, and maybe I missed an explanation that covers it, but it's something to add onto the "Hey, why didn't they just--" pile.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

jivjov posted:

Well keep in mind that people other than Han and Chewie had the Falcon for much of the intervening time. We found out in TFA that Ducain, Unkar Plutt, and Rey herself had done mechanical work on the Falcon. Maybe someone finally fixed the loose wire under that one panel?

Now that it's been revealed that the Resistance gets it's ships from arms dealers, couldn't they have just gotten a new ship? Surely they could get a good deal with a trade-in of the falcon and get a new ship instead of flying this old piece of poo poo for reasons no one in universe can justify

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Now that it's been revealed that the Resistance gets it's ships from arms dealers, couldn't they have just gotten a new ship? Surely they could get a good deal with a trade-in of the falcon and get a new ship instead of flying this old piece of poo poo for reasons no one in universe can justify

Bear in mind that almost no time has passed in or between these movies. The beginning of TFA is maybe four days before the end of TLJ, and the Resistance was running for its life for most of that time. They didn't have time to peruse the used spaceship lots and contemplate an upgrade. Besides, the Resistance doesn't own the Falcon. Han did, and I guess now Chewie does.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
The boy with the broom is Anakin if Qui Gon hadn’t hosed with the dice.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
It'd be funny if Ben inherited the Falcon and he's technically the legal owner and the next movie is about a long legal battle between Ben and Chewie that engulfs the galaxy

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Waffles Inc. posted:

Cool I remember watching it and thinking it was fun and neat

I remember watching it and thinking 5th Element looked so much better.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

gohmak posted:

I remember watching it and thinking 5th Element looked so much better.

I remember watching it and thinking that Jupiter Ascending looked so much better.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I remember watching that and thinking The Avengers 2012 looked better.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CelticPredator posted:

I remember watching that and thinking The Avengers 2012 looked better.

I remember watching that and thinking The Avengers 1998 looked better.

I'm just messing that movie was dogshit

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My dad took me to see it and I don’t remember going except for vague images of being in the theater and seeing Sean Connery being a weather wizard.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's a shame too because Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman circa 1998 should have been great choices to play Steed and Peel.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

UmOk posted:

I remember watching it and thinking that Jupiter Ascending looked so much better.

5th Element 1997
Star Wars: Episode II 2002
Jupiter Ascending 2015

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

ruddiger posted:

But then Luke hits the ceiling in the cockpit and it starts right back up.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

gohmak posted:

5th Element 1997
Star Wars: Episode II 2002
Jupiter Ascending 2015

I was fake posting. Jupiter Ascending looks like dog poo poo

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

INH5 posted:

When you're a bad writer who has been given access to one of the more expansive popular science fiction settings in modern entertainment, this is what you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I cannot imagine the B.S. that would have occurred if movies from the 70s and 80s came out today. Star Wars would have been obliterated.