Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Time to repost my Doctor Who claim to fame, which is that an ex-girlfriend then subsequently went out with the director of LKH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

LividLiquid posted:

I super love Let's Kill Hitler and don't understand why you all hate it. I suspect part of this is that my first exposure to Who was the 50th and I got to marathon everything leading up to it after, so I didn't wait months and speculate endlessly and build up expectations. I got to just plow on through.

The split season didn't help, for sure. Personally I was getting kind of tired of River Song at this point, so going "Hey, here's a character we never mentioned before who's been Amy and Rory's friend since childhood SURPRISE IT'S RIVER!" was not really what I was after.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

The split season didn't help, for sure. Personally I was getting kind of tired of River Song at this point, so going "Hey, here's a character we never mentioned before who's been Amy and Rory's friend since childhood SURPRISE IT'S RIVER!" was not really what I was after.
We kinda' needed an answer to "why can't we track down Melody right after she was taken, since we have a time machine?" And that answer being "because she's already woven into your personal timeline" made perfect sense.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
*in an insufferable voice* SPOILAS

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

LividLiquid posted:

I super love Let's Kill Hitler and don't understand why you all hate it. I suspect part of this is that my first exposure to Who was the 50th and I got to marathon everything leading up to it after, so I didn't wait months and speculate endlessly and build up expectations. I got to just plow on through.

I don't think it's bad (now anyway) on its own merits, but as a story which resolves a kidnapped-baby plot, "it turns out the baby was your lifelong friend who got mentioned for the first time a few minutes ago the whole time" and the parents of the kidnapped baby just sort of shrug and carry on, was an unbelievably bad payoff, especially coming from Moffat who's had several episodes of Doctor Who and other shows which dealt with the impact parenthood has on your life. How did the same guy who wrote "yes, I am your mummy" and the wonderful final scene of Coupling manage to come out with this? It baffles me to this day actually(I remain convinced Moffat had some other plan for the second half of series 6 which couldn't be done due to ongoing budgetary catastrophe so he had to come up with something else) and at the time it soured the whole rest of Amy and Rory's run, which as it turned out wasn't that great anyway

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 31, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Fil5000 posted:

Especially since it was established that the village thought Amy was weird because she had this imaginary friend who she swore was real, but no one believed her. Oh, except for her best friend, who TOTALLY knew that the Raggedy Man was real, and she'd mouth off to any who didn't believe her.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Also it would have felt less bullshit if we'd ever seen or mentioned this super best friend 4 lyfe lady before that

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

Also it would have felt less bullshit if we'd ever seen or mentioned this super best friend 4 lyfe lady before that

Yeah this. Anything that would make you believe it was planned out instead of "poo poo what are we gonna do"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

It would also help if Mels wasn't the most obnoxious character in Who history

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Let’s Kill Hitler was the peak of what Moffat called “slutty titles and movie poster plots” in other words complete dogshit.

Though at least it’s a memorable title, unlike the seven or so ______ of the Doctor episodes.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

marktheando posted:

Let’s Kill Hitler was the peak of what Moffat called “slutty titles and movie poster plots” in other words complete dogshit.

Though at least it’s a memorable title, unlike the seven or so ______ of the Doctor episodes.

It's a shame he wasted that title on that episode.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Davros1 posted:

It would also help if Mels wasn't the most obnoxious character in Who history

You give that award back to Drax this instant you son of a bitch

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Stabbatical posted:

It's a shame he wasted that title on that episode.

there was also

and

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The "gay Gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled" line was good too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Basically what we're saying is that Let's Kill Hitler is all over the place in quality, but the bad outweighs the good and the good can mostly be summarized by gifs.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

howe_sam posted:

there was also

ahaha I forgot about that

and it made me remember this:

I guess LKH wasn't all bad

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I remember reading some comment about how the episode being so dismissive of Hitler meant it failed to address toxic Nazi ideology while centrepiecing a lot of Nazi iconography, making it unintentionally pro-Nazi. So if you don't like it you can also use that as a reason, I guess

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LividLiquid posted:

I watched it yesterday, in fact.

Where it's good it's great. I love the whole "your daughter is named after herself and grew up with her parents" thing. The time travelling justice team robot is weird in just the right way, at least in the broad strokes. I get a kick out of how the characters rapidly lose interest in Hitler.

It's a total travesty that, as others note, the Mel character was only introduced in that episode. Some of Alex Kingston's Mel lines just make my skin crawl - all of the "let's go shopping!" stuff is just bad, as is much of the flirtateous dialogue between Mel and the Doctor. The kiss-poison-regeneration energy rescue thing is barely coherent. Many of the plot points with the time travelling justice team robot are weak. Why would anyone set up their robot in such a way that the crew could be that easily annihilated by the "antibodies"? How did they recognize Mel before she regenerated? If they have all of that information on the war criminals and the like, how did they end up in 1938?

My overall opinion is that it was a great in concept episode, but a borderline embarrassment in execution.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Rory was absolutely the best part of LKH.

"Can you ride a motorbike?"
"I expect so, its been that sort of day."

"Miniaturization ray."
"How do you know that?"
"It's a ray and it miniaturized us."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Oh yeah, and she gives all her regenerations to the Doctor to save him, which feels like it's meant to explain why she didn't regenerate in her first episode, but that was already explained in that episode:

quote:

DOCTOR: This is going to kill you! I'd have a chance, you don't have any.
RIVER: You wouldn't have a chance, and neither do I.

I also didn't really get why they'd have a causal loop thing with her name when the origin of her name was in the previous episode, but I do like her as Melody being named after Mels, who is herself, and also her as River being named after River, who also is herself.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Unfetered One posted:

I remember the days when we all loved Moffat

Just think, soon we'll all hate Chibnall. :allears:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Astroman posted:

Just think, soon we'll all hate Chibnall. :allears:

Soon? People hated him as soon as he was announced as the new showrunner!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rory Williams punching Hitler in the face will always be a tremendous high point in one of the lowest moments in the revival history.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Moffat had to prove that he was poo poo, Chibnall will have to prove that he can do good, especially after loving Cyberwoman.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I really forgot how great Rory is and now I am remembering all the other great Rory moments and I want to go back and rewatch Matt Smith's run

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Soothing Vapors posted:

I really forgot how great Rory is and now I am remembering all the other great Rory moments and I want to go back and rewatch Matt Smith's run

He has 100% been my favourite part of series 5 and 6 (6 especially). Every time he gets on screen he owns.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dabir posted:

Moffat had to prove that he was poo poo, Chibnall will have to prove that he can do good, especially after loving Cyberwoman.

Him starting off with the 13th Doctor looking at herself and saying "Oh, brilliant!" is a step in the right direction.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Edward Mass posted:

Soon? People hated him as soon as he was announced as the new showrunner!

To be fair, he's not had the greatest track record with the show. When the first thing that springs to peoples' minds is "What if I made a tragic Cyberman story...but make it emphasise her massive robo tits?", they're gonna have certain expectation on the quality of writing.

See also another amazing line from that, which is meant to be tragic and heartfelt; " 'When we woke up in the morning a dog was pissing on our tent!'"

Dabir posted:

Yeah, Moffat had some great loving episodes - tight stories, pacing, characterization...which pretty much vanished the second he was in charge of actually plotting series-spanning arcs. It's like there's two Moffats; the one who wrote Blink, Empty Child, Girl in the Fireplace, Night of the Doctor, Day of the Doctor, Heaven Sent...and the other who wrote The Time of Angels, The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe, Time of the Doctor, and Hell Bent.

But yeah, the point is people were looking forward to his stewardship of the program, based on his previous writings.

Chibnall's not had such a good time, as previously noted. At worst it was the Torchwood poo poo, at best kinda middling stuff like 42, Power of Three, and Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

Davros1 posted:

Him starting off with the 13th Doctor looking at herself and saying "Oh, brilliant!" is a step in the right direction.

I hope so - I'm looking forward to the new direction.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also who was the DOP on the Whittaker reveal video and on her first appearance post regeneration? Because visually at least it looks incredible

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Also who was the DOP on the Whittaker reveal video and on her first appearance post regeneration? Because visually at least it looks incredible

I know Talalay directed her regeneration, so it may have been in the stage directions, since Moffat didn't write her reveal

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thirteen's TARDIS looks like a throwback to One's so what if they sort of factory reset it so they can use the classic control room for a while?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

Thirteen's TARDIS looks like a throwback to One's so what if they sort of factory reset it so they can use the classic control room for a while?

Twelve did say he missed the look of it in TUAT, so maybe that was a hint..?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Twelve did say he missed the look of it in TUAT, so maybe that was a hint..?

He was so loving hyped for how "classic" it was. I wouldn't hate if they used it and hey, save money on the set for a while!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I get a serious 5 vibe from 13’s outfit, so if they reintroduce the classic console room, then all we’re missing are three companions that she can’t really stand. :getin:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

and introducing Bradley Walsh as Vislor Turlough

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Cyberwoman is really bad but I think I'd need to know how much of the design was described in Chibber's script and how much of it came from the art/costuming/production/whatever before laying it all on him

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was also Torchwood.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With the Ponds I kind of liked Amy's outburst when she brings the Doctor back from her own memories of him - "I remember you Raggedy Man and you are LATE FOR MY WEDDING! :byodame:" Also Rory was the best. Although River's plot with the silence was a bit weird, when all the conspirators are being killed by the Silence electrocuting them through their eyepatches, then Madame Kovarian ends up begging Amy for help after managing to mostly remove her eyepatch, to which Amy responds "[River] didn't get it all from you, Sweetie" and puts the eyepatch back on her, letting her die. They were going for badass, but it came off as a bit sociopathic.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I thought that was the point. Kovarian is leaning on a Doctor's Companion being an upright good person, and Amy basically goes "I'm not always a good person, and part of that went into River".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MisterBibs posted:

I thought that was the point. Kovarian is leaning on a Doctor's Companion being an upright good person, and Amy basically goes "I'm not always a good person, and part of that went into River".

I'll admit I enjoyed that moment, I just wasn't sure how it was percieved by others.

• Locked thread