Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I haven't noticed any screen tearing in PUBG, and that's the one thing that can make me lose my cool about a video game.

As long as I'm not killed because of the framerate, mid-20's framerate is acceptable in an Early Access/Game Preview game.

I am killed for all kinds of reasons that aren't framerate.

Some of you are like the Princess And The Pea except for instead of your princess assess its your eyeballs and peas of two different kinds.

You're right that this is a real deal early access game microsoft brought because they needed something for December. I'm sure the devs don't want people to play the game in its current state but it says alot that people are still loving and playing it regardless.

I personally am gonna wait until it's more stable. Hell the early round rubberbanding is still an issue on PC and that's my biggest irk with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Edit: on second thought this is probably very patronising, I was talking about display refresh and render frame rates and tearing but whatever, I imagine everyone knows this stuff anyway.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 30, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I too am completely unaware of vsync and triple buffering

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

bonx display lookin good

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

That's a big Wolfenstein box

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Enjoying the woofenstein on the tv more

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

univbee posted:

bonx display lookin good

It's amazing that fallout 4 is still the demo in every xbox kiosk I've seen.

Has Conan Exiles always been $50? Could have sworn it was 30 originally (I know it's on sale now) which is still too much for something that broken. I'd love to play it for like $15 though it's kind of fun even if it's stupid and barely a game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

It's amazing that fallout 4 is still the demo in every xbox kiosk I've seen.

Has Conan Exiles always been $50? Could have sworn it was 30 originally (I know it's on sale now) which is still too much for something that broken. I'd love to play it for like $15 though it's kind of fun even if it's stupid and barely a game.

I still see Forza 5 as the kiosk game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So, yeah PUBG on the original Xbone really is something else. Holy poo poo it looks worse than any game I've ever seen by a mile. It's pretty fun though. I didn't have many texture loading issues once the actual game started, but it is just a comically butt ugly game.

Is there really no mini map indicator for the shrinking play area?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

So, yeah PUBG on the original Xbone really is something else. Holy poo poo it looks worse than any game I've ever seen by a mile. It's pretty fun though. I didn't have many texture loading issues once the actual game started, but it is just a comically butt ugly game.

Is there really no mini map indicator for the shrinking play area?

There is a dotted line towards the white circle if you're outside of it, and there is a solid blue line that moves from left to right above the minimap, with an icon representing you and the right side of the figure representing the safe zone.

Also I remember some games with EGA graphics looking kind of bad but I powered through somehow.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I was looking forward to PUBG on xbox (consoles are so much easier to win on vs. PC) until I caved and bought it on Steam. What a boring game. It's kind of sad this is what Microsoft built a console launch around.

Anyone playing Vermintide still? I picked it up since it was free with Gold and I love Left 4 Dead, only to find that *no* one talks in it. It still blows my mind how many people play co-op games without thinking a mic would be helpful.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lmao ega graphics. cap'n this is why i like you

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

how did Microsoft 'build a console launch' around pubg lol

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
indeed

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

ethanol posted:

how did Microsoft 'build a console launch' around pubg lol

When you cancel all of your exclusives and don't have any games of your own, you gotta grab what you can get I guess. Bundling an early access beta with every Bone X sold and trumpeting it as an (timed) exclusive is a little sad. I'd much rather they deliver some actual exclusives.

Still hopeful for Crackdown 3...

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 31, 2017

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
PUBG is no longer in early access.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hm. That's not what the splash page says when you boot it up.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Did Xbox not get version 1.0? wtf

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Hell no

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

When you cancel all of your exclusives and don't have any games of your own, you gotta grab what you can get I guess. Bundling an early access beta with every Bone X sold and trumpeting it as an (timed) exclusive is a little sad. I'd much rather they deliver some actual exclusives.

Still hopeful for Crackdown 3...

Im day one on crackdown cause i need to see how bad and hosed up the power of the cloud is for myself.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I think it's still early access on xbone. I'm on the x, but lately it's been playing super smooth for the most part. Still not the same as PC, but it's a different kind of retarded beast that's also fun to play.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Played Pubg for a few hours tonight, and I'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt that the PC version is much less terrible than the Xbox one, even though I'm not completely sure of that from the videos I've seen. But, like even in some alternate universe where it looked and played well this game seems...bad. Like, I do get the appeal and it's sort of fun but it's already wearing thin after a few hours. Is the PC version more fleshed out or just technically better? I'm trying to figure out what garnered so much GOTY attention. It seems like almost no effort was put into it whatsoever. It seems like an exceptionally bad game in almost every regard.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I played about 6 hours of PUBG on PC and had enough.

It's an aggressively unfun game.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Real hurthling! posted:

Im day one on crackdown cause i need to see how bad and hosed up the power of the cloud is for myself.

I'm betting it doesn't use the cloud and they never mention that again.

Also it looks like a solid 4/10 game, and I liked the first one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's because 2 was a -7/10

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I still remember one of the developers for Crackdown 2 posting on this very forum when it came out and justifying the city and most assets being recycled as "games are too expensive to develop now and people should lower their standards if they want them to remain u$60."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

Played Pubg for a few hours tonight, and I'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt that the PC version is much less terrible than the Xbox one, even though I'm not completely sure of that from the videos I've seen. But, like even in some alternate universe where it looked and played well this game seems...bad. Like, I do get the appeal and it's sort of fun but it's already wearing thin after a few hours. Is the PC version more fleshed out or just technically better? I'm trying to figure out what garnered so much GOTY attention. It seems like almost no effort was put into it whatsoever. It seems like an exceptionally bad game in almost every regard.

It's a shooter for people who don't like/aren't great at shooters. More survival horror than action.

It's both got a lot of attention on it, and game changing enough to change the shooter genre as a whole. Yes, it's not the first game like this, but it's the first one that gained traction.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Bundling an early access beta with every Bone X sold and trumpeting it as an (timed) exclusive is a little sad.

A lot of people seem to enjoy pointing out that it's a "timed" exclusive. This may be the case, but Microsoft seems to have spent good money on the port, going as far as calling it a "second party game."

If Microsoft is smart (and it's a coin flip, honestly) they will pay to keep it exclusive.

It's all up to Phil "Games" Spencer I guess. We'll see.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 31, 2017

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GUI posted:

I still remember one of the developers for Crackdown 2 posting on this very forum when it came out and justifying the city and most assets being recycled as "games are too expensive to develop now and people should lower their standards if they want them to remain u$60."

While you've worded it in a way that makes it seem like a bad opinion, he's not wrong. Games cost way too much to develop now, but that is the fault of developers chasing stupid poo poo like accurate shadows on grains of sand and other frivolous graphical enhancements.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

If Microsoft is smart (and it's a coin flip, honestly) they will pay to keep it exclusive.

It's all up to Phil "Games" Spencer I guess. We'll see.

The PUBG CEO has confirmed the game to be a timed exclusive just today. Microsoft is stingy, they probably don't want to pay that much to keep it exclusive to a system that doesn't sell.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

It's a shooter for people who don't like/aren't great at shooters. More survival horror than action.
What? This is such a dumb and wrong take. It's a shooter for everybody, whether they're good at and/or play shooters or not - it's visibly popular with both groups. The first person servers are a pretty clear sign that it's popular with people who are serious about first person shooters.

What even brought you to this conclusion?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\ I know a ton of people who hate competitive shooters that like this game. I can't be the only one.

Fame Douglas posted:

The PUBG CEO has confirmed the game to be a timed exclusive just today. Microsoft is stingy, they probably don't want to pay that much to keep it exclusive to a system that doesn't sell.

There's a lot of people (especially what looks like British folks, going by the URLs) taking his statements the way they want to take them, yes.

I agree that Microsoft is stingy, but who knows when Phil "Games" Spencer is involved!

Balthesar posted:

While you've worded it in a way that makes it seem like a bad opinion, he's not wrong. Games cost way too much to develop now, but that is the fault of developers chasing stupid poo poo like accurate shadows on grains of sand and other frivolous graphical enhancements.

I like you.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

PUBG's magic lies in your success being 50% luck in where you land

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

veni veni veni posted:

Nah, PC version is boring and janky too. Fortnite BR is the far superior game.

I'm convinced a lot of the GOTY hype comes from people watching the (admittedly very entertaining) clips on youtube, which tend to omit the hours upon hours of boring gameplay.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

/\/\/\ I know a ton of people who hate competitive shooters that like this game. I can't be the only one.
Broad appeal which includes your particularly group does not mean some different group is excluded from the appeal you dummy. Ya big galoot.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Nah, PC version is boring and janky too. Fortnite BR is the far superior game.

I'm convinced a lot of the GOTY hype comes from people watching the (admittedly very entertaining) clips on youtube, which tend to omit the hours upon hours of boring gameplay.
Orrrrrr they genuinely like the game. A game doesn't have to be beloved by literally every person to be a good game, you personally don't have to like it for it to be a good game.

Edit: GOTY is the worst time of year.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm a huge competitive FPS fan and hate PUBG.

edit: I hate survival horror games. It all makes sense now.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 31, 2017

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

There's a lot of people (especially what looks like British folks, going by the URLs) taking his statements the way they want to take them, yes.

"The final goal is to have PUBG on every platform" seems clear.

The Ouya version will be next.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chinese bootleg phone pubg launches soon

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Xbone thread never lets me down.

PUBG in this thread: Bad game, for bad and unskilled players, completely luck based, not interesting to competitive players
PUBG in real life: The most popular game on Twitch for the last 6 months by a huge margin, dominated by the world's best CS:GO players who always have incredibly good "luck" as they make $50k a week playing it

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

LoL if you think Twitch is "real life"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You're right, twitch.tv does not exist and is not a metric that can be examined to determine a game's popularity, far outweighed by goon anecdotes