Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Yeah, I freeze at least a third of everything I make. I also do this weird thing with my parents where we swap a frozen leftover for a different frozen leftover. People tell me that's weird, but we always did it when I was a kid. Maybe it's a hippie thing, I dunno, but a Tupperware thing of chili swapped for my dad's duck confit is a drat good trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Randaconda posted:

That derpy rear end jaguar is growing on me. I wish he'd left my stupid internet club tag, though.

i dunno i kinda like em kind of a made you so mad badge

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Until we get a utility shed set up with a chest freezer and constant electric to the fridge (either a rechargable battery bank or gas fridge) we only buy perishable stuff in small amounts. We do a lot of dry/canned stuff. We got lucky because the landlord is happy to sell us beefalo and we live within a few minutes of a ton of produce farms.

I feel ya on the small amounts of food thing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Nah. I waste more money buying ingredients for the future and then not eating it.

I have been trying to convince my SO of this for years and it is only just now starting to work. I get so pumped to open the fridge to find it empty but for condiments.

As for AFP, we when to this little cafe today for breakfast that advertises a "crabcake stuffed burger". Which is what it sounds like, a (I hope cooked) crabcake somehow encased in a burger, then cooked. We spent a little while in the car trying to brainstorm ways that it could somehow not be a disgusting mess and came up empty.

I am going to go back and try this burger, but I don't have a lot of hope.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

we would benefit from a larger freezer compared to the fridge bc my brother gets so much free (expensive) meats from his work that we don't have time to eat them all, so the freezer is full of MEAT and vegetables and frozen pizzas, and the fridge is just a dairy, fruit and condiment hold

snoo has a new favorite as of 01:04 on Dec 31, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
we really have gotten our moneys worth with a standalone freezer really we dont even use the one in the fridge for much

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
To get the most out of a chest freezer you need a good vac-sealer. You are not going to get great shelf life just bagging or wrapping stuff. Ours died this fall and just looking at the garden stuff that we sealed vs just tossed in a bag shows a huge difference. The bagged stuff is full of frost and it soggy as hell when we thaw it and the vac-ed stuff is still pretty crisp.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

i suck the air out of zippy bags with a straw :downs:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The Snoo posted:

i suck the air out of zippy bags with a straw :downs:

Hah, I have tried the "submerge the bag in water right up to the sealing part" trick but I am not gonna suck the air out of 30 bags of peppers. RIP little vac-sealer, I guess your duty-cycle rating was not just a suggestion.

The other thing is to always buy a chest style freezer, not an upright one. Years ago on some hunting forum I used to read a dude did this huge huge effort post where he took some remote thermometers and checked to see the relative temp change that resulted from opening the doors on both styles. He did it as he noticed that all his elk and such was getting freezer burned at different rates that didn't jive with the time in storage. The upright was bleeding cold to the tune of a few degrees per second while the chest too like 30-45 seconds to even register a change. I wish I could remember the site, it was insane, the dude had some kind of science background and some fancy pants thermeroter that let him put multiple probes in various parts of the two freezers to make sure he was getting good data.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

https://twitter.com/The_Sass_Hole/status/946923975954886657

I don't even begin to know what to say to this.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

AAHHHHH is appropriate

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/947283745400348673

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WTF

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh weird fruit looks like eyeballs

wait those are tide pods

wait who's cooking

aaaaaaaa

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Guys, I think we've reached the point where we might need pizza rules, even if that rule is "if you can't eat it, don't make it".

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

So many bad choices all at once :gonk:

KataraniSword posted:

Guys, I think we've reached the point where we might need pizza rules, even if that rule is "if you can't eat it, don't make it".

I refuse to joinder with your illegitimate pizza government. :colbert:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

That sure looks like a tidal wave of flavor. Ride the wave all the way to flavortown. Or the ER.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Scathach posted:

I appreciate these pictures of your strange kitchen. I'm curious if anyone else has an abnormal kitchen. Goons?

My kitchen is pretty standard but instead of a table in my breakfast nook I have a futon so I do all my foruming next to the fridge.

I got up to take the picture and the cat immediately got in my spot.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xpost from pyf

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Guy Fieri is closing his much-panned Times Square restaurant after NYE. :911:
Let us bow down in awe of the parody of its menu.

quote:

Beer-seasoned local meat with a peach and ether glazed Marlboro Light, slathered in Mid West Hot Rod Style Flavour Juice.

I was going to bold bits of it for emphasis, but then I'd just be bolding the whole thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

My kitchen is pretty standard but instead of a table in my breakfast nook I have a futon so I do all my foruming next to the fridge.

I got up to take the picture and the cat immediately got in my spot.

Your sacrifice is noted :3:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Snoo posted:

I actually keep my worse hand dry and clean (since it was the knife hand) and I use a bench scraper to get the stuff off the cutting board. my 'better' hand only has a couple dry patches between my fingers, but they caught and spread the pain to my other fingers and cuticles. neither hands are weeping or anything, but they're really really d r y

qtiyd if you have never had frankenhands so bad that such descriptions have ever applied to you. i don't mean to pick on anyone here, but i really am quite interested as to how someone has such injured skin that they simultaneously say "surely i shouldn't go see the doctor for this" and "oh well time to prepare food"

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

CommonShore posted:

Xpost from pyf

I was going to bold bits of it for emphasis, but then I'd just be bolding the whole thing.

:rip: a Cinnabon and two more Cinnabons

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Labes for days posted:

:rip: a Cinnabon and two more Cinnabons

Football: The Meal

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

qtiyd if you have never had frankenhands so bad that such descriptions have ever applied to you. i don't mean to pick on anyone here, but i really am quite interested as to how someone has such injured skin that they simultaneously say "surely i shouldn't go see the doctor for this" and "oh well time to prepare food"

doctors cost more money than food

it gets worse with water/sweat and also dryness, I can't do much about it. I would probably be prescribed a steroid cream for my hands which also thins the skin and usually treats itchiness, which is the least of my problems. but it's not contagious and there isn't stuff falling off my hands. I limit my exposure to water and moisturize throughout the day. it could be a lot worse if I didn't bother to use lotion or gloves. taking a shower and washing my face are the only times I get my hands wet on purpose and that's the main thing that still irritates them.

the thing that would help me the most is wearing gloves with thick lotion overnight but I haven't found gloves that fit me yet, so I need to just make some.

edit: water is my irritant and it's kinda hard to avoid it completely. when I wore watertight gloves to shower and wash my face it went away almost completely but I got tired of having the gloves leak and having to go through so many. it only started after we moved out of my parents' a year and a half ago, away from cigarette smoke and other normal irritants... so idk. a doctor would be great!

snoo has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Dec 31, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The Snoo posted:

the thing that would help me the most is wearing gloves with thick lotion overnight but I haven't found gloves that fit me yet, so I need to just make some.

Look into neoprene fishing gloves, waterproof, formfitting, and durable enough for any reasonable task.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

vinyl gloves yo

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

people usually wear cotton gloves for overnight moisturization but the pair my husband got me was meant for rly slender hands so they're uncomfortable. I was going to just cut and sew some myself so they'll actually fit :v:

I go through a pair of rubber gloves once every 6 weeks or so for dishwashing and other things.

I'll shut up about this now! pretend I posted my photo of my hand in a cup of milk next to the big pot of chili as content

vvv :rip:

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

The Snoo posted:

I made chili yesterday and I cut jalapenos without gloves so my eczema-ridden hands burned for an hour :saddowns:

I am new to eczema this year and I learned this the hard way on Christmas Eve. Ended up with my fingers in a container of sour cream.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

The Snoo posted:

Use a pair of socks.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ultimate Mango posted:

That sure looks like a tidal wave of flavor. Ride the wave all the way to flavortown. Or the ER.

It will really clean out the system.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Eczema is a food if you eat your scabs.

(long term sufferer, it's sweat that mostly triggers mine, UV treatment helped a lot but gently caress knows how much that'd cost stateside)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At least wear a loving hair net.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

At least wear a loving hair net.

wouldn't that just be a net for a furry

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
He'd have to wear a full body skinsuit over the fake dog suit to keep all that fur in check. That would just up the horror factor from "tide flavored pizza made by a creep" to "ARGH NO MAKE IT DIE!"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

NonzeroCircle posted:

Eczema is a food if you eat your scabs.

(long term sufferer, it's sweat that mostly triggers mine, UV treatment helped a lot but gently caress knows how much that'd cost stateside)

You should mention that this requires medication an hour beforehand to be effective, as opposed to just "go outside in daylight or get a blacklight"

That said, it's hundreds of dollars for an unknown quantity of Psoralen and that's not counting the UV source so who knows

stringless has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Dec 31, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

FFT posted:

You should mention that this requires medication an hour beforehand to be effective, as opposed to just "go outside in daylight or get a blacklight"

Not really for me, I just needed to hop in the UV booth twice a week for a few minutes, or head to the beach if it was summer according to my dermatologists' instructions.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

This is the cheap one, currently ~$21.53 - ~$56.66 per dose

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hahahaha someone got mad at the fat leopard

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Synthbuttrange posted:

hahahaha someone got mad at the fat leopard

It's all good, I'm kinda into this derpy render of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Snoo posted:

people usually wear cotton gloves for overnight moisturization but the pair my husband got me was meant for rly slender hands so they're uncomfortable. I was going to just cut and sew some myself so they'll actually fit :v:

I go through a pair of rubber gloves once every 6 weeks or so for dishwashing and other things.

I'll shut up about this now! pretend I posted my photo of my hand in a cup of milk next to the big pot of chili as content

vvv :rip:

Handy Andy work gloves come in packs of twelve for under $20, are loose-fitting, durable, and soft. They should keep the lotion inside at night and last quite a while per pair, and you can probably even wash them if you're using them for just lotion (back on the farm they're a general use work glove so they tend to get dirty and then develop holes)