Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

MarcusSA posted:

PCalc is $0.99

Finally bought it because having a Calc on my watch is something I needed.

Good spot.

PS, until today, I'd never noticed the wee calculator widget that pops up when you 3d-touch the pcalc icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kerbtree posted:

Good spot.

PS, until today, I'd never noticed the wee calculator widget that pops up when you 3d-touch the pcalc icon.

Me neither, and it respects that I have RPN on. Awesome.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How do we feel about Swype vs SwiftKey vs Gboard?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They're all bad

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As above.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
This post typed with Nintype.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've tried several but like Microsoft's Word Flow the most.

EDIT: MOTHERFUCKER

quote:

Microsoft Closes Down 'Word Flow' Keyboard for iOS, Points Users to SwiftKey

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I liked Word Flow but there were some weird bugs and it was very clearly not being supported well before they announced discontinuing it. I was using G Board but haven’t really bothered on my X since they don’t seem to be able to use the bottom of the screen like Apple can. (Unless that has changed. I should try it again.)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Siri dictate everything

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

This.

Use the default keyboard.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Josh Lyman posted:

How do we feel about Swype vs SwiftKey vs Gboard?

I quite like Gboard, the swiping is easy and uh, it's free. "Downside", the deep Google integration.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
What's a good habit tracker?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PaganGoatPants posted:

What's a good habit tracker?

I've been using Streaks for the past 2.5 yrs

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want a more broad overview of your life, Life Cycle is pretty neat.

It's from the same folks that made Sleep Cycle.. uses wifi geolocation to keep an eye on you through the day, and if it can't figure out where you were it'll let you specify what you were doing for a chunk of time. It's super power efficient, when I used it I never noticed any increased battery drain. It's good if you want to keep a log of how much time you spent at various places.

The major downside is you can't get any of their fancy analysis graphs without paying a subscription.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I just got an iPhone 7+, haven’t used apple since the iPhone 4. What web browsers and ad blockers are still good?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Safari

1Blocker

There's your list

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

:tipshat: thank you

Are music app and iTunes good now too?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Music.app is subjective; I don't mind it but I know a lot of people who absolutely hate it. Cesium is a good replacement imo

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Legs Benedict posted:

Safari

Firefox Focus

There's your list

And you probably already have a music account somewhere, so use that; iTunes is probably not why you're here.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Billzasilver posted:

:tipshat: thank you

Are music app and iTunes good now too?

What are you looking for out of a music app? I'm a spotify fanatic myself because they have better curation and discoverability.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been using Spotify for the past few weeks and the discoverability is great until you realize there's a completely arbitrary 10k song library limit, which is ridiculous. Oh, and if it's not on Spotify, welp, sucks for you, you don't get to listen to it since there's no way to add your own music. Apple Music has its own problems - the discovery stuff isn't nearly as good, and the interface can be all over the place.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Oh, and if it's not on Spotify, welp, sucks for you, you don't get to listen to it since there's no way to add your own music.

There is, but it sucks. You have to set the desktop client to scan your downloaded music folders and hope it doesn’t decide to incorrectly and arbitrarily match any of your songs to songs in its catalog, then you have to add the songs you want to sync to a playlist, then you have to download the playlist on your phone and any other devices you want it on while connected to the same WiFi network as your PC, and pray that it works and doesn’t crap out halfway through.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I listen to a lot of hip hop mixtapes and that's why I went with Apple Music over Spotify. Apple Music was atrocious for the first six months, so drat buggy. I resubscribed about a year or two ago and it's good now for uploading your own stuff.

I can't believe it still doesn't have handoff though. That's unbelievably lazy.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If you have an Apple Watch you're also restricted to Apple Music if you want to listen to music with your phone not around.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
You used to be able to listen to any Apple Music on your Apple Watch but since the S3 you can only listen to music you’ve synced to your phone or specialized playlists Apple Watch curates for you.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
My new years resolution is to live a more structured life (eg drink water when I wake up, do stretches, turn off laptop at night). What is the best app that lets me set up a routine in a checklist style that I can check off daily? Bonus points if it has a time/alarm function.

nervana fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 28, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GoldfishStew posted:

You used to be able to listen to any Apple Music on your Apple Watch but since the S3 you can only listen to music you’ve synced to your phone or specialized playlists Apple Watch curates for you.

That's not true. I listen to my Apple Music libraries all the time off the watch without having to front load it. It works over LTE and WiFi

Yeah, I just checked on the Apple website and what you say is wrong. The only time you need to front load is if you DON'T have Apple Music.

EDIT: It has been brought to my attention I may have misinterpreted your sentence. I took it to mean that since the S3, NO watch has been able to play directly.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 28, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Proteus, you have an S3? That’s the only model that can access everything.

nervana posted:

My new years resolution is to live a more structured life (eg drink water when I wake up, do stretches, turn off laptop at night). What is the best app that let's me set up a routine in a checklist style that I can check off daily? Bonus points if it has a time/alarm function.
Honestly? Reminders is great for that unless you want at-a-glance progress charts (like how many days this month did I stretch).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Proteus, you have an S3? That’s the only model that can access everything.

Ah, I completely didn't read it that way. My read was since the S3 came out NO watches could do it. So yeah, if I had a previous gen watch and it was pulled away like that, I'd pissed too.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So the iOS podcasts app is doing something weird (again). When I've got new unplayed episodes of a show, if I try to play just that episode, it seems to add the entire list of available episodes for the show (for example I tried to play just the most recent Best Of episode for Comedy Bang Bang and it added like 40 episodes). Is there not a way to just play a single episode?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

The Dave posted:

What are you looking for out of a music app? I'm a spotify fanatic myself because they have better curation and discoverability.

The first thing I guess I look for is if it can play most formats like .flac or whatnot. The second thing I look for is a nice interface so I can look through my own collection and make my own playlists.

Spotify has some excellent stuff tho. I just recently got mobile data again after years of not having it, so I’ll be streaming new stuff for sure.

dont be mean to me posted:

And you probably already have a music account somewhere, so use that; iTunes is probably not why you're here.

What the eff is a music account. I have a YouTube account and an apple id

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Billzasilver posted:

What the eff is a music account. I have a YouTube account and an apple id

Spotify, pandora, last.fm, youtube red, google play all access, amazon music.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

So the iOS podcasts app is doing something weird (again). When I've got new unplayed episodes of a show, if I try to play just that episode, it seems to add the entire list of available episodes for the show (for example I tried to play just the most recent Best Of episode for Comedy Bang Bang and it added like 40 episodes). Is there not a way to just play a single episode?

Disable “continuous play” in Settings > Podcasts.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

nervana posted:

My new years resolution is to live a more structured life (eg drink water when I wake up, do stretches, turn off laptop at night). What is the best app that lets me set up a routine in a checklist style that I can check off daily? Bonus points if it has a time/alarm function.

I use Daily Habits for this sort of thing. You can put items in 1-4 “bins” for morning/afternoon/evening/night or assign a specific time to be reminded if you want.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I use this app that can track "anything" and make graphs/charts/trend lines etc with the data. It was called Loggr, but it stopped being on the store in 2016. Anyone know of something similar? This isn't for habits, but just raw data.

https://lifehacker.com/loggr-lets-you-roll-your-own-health-fitness-or-habit-1579330242

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PaganGoatPants posted:

I use this app that can track "anything" and make graphs/charts/trend lines etc with the data. It was called Loggr, but it stopped being on the store in 2016. Anyone know of something similar? This isn't for habits, but just raw data.

https://lifehacker.com/loggr-lets-you-roll-your-own-health-fitness-or-habit-1579330242

Can it track haircuts?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

nervana posted:

I’m in the same boat as you. Not so much to keep me on track of things, but I just want to collect the data of myself for myself.

xzzy posted:

If you want a more broad overview of your life, Life Cycle is pretty neat.

It's from the same folks that made Sleep Cycle.. uses wifi geolocation to keep an eye on you through the day, and if it can't figure out where you were it'll let you specify what you were doing for a chunk of time. It's super power efficient, when I used it I never noticed any increased battery drain. It's good if you want to keep a log of how much time you spent at various places.

The major downside is you can't get any of their fancy analysis graphs without paying a subscription.

Life Cycle wouldn’t work for me I don’t think cause I don’t wanna pay someone else to visualize my data. I wanna do it myself.

svenkatesh posted:

I've been using Streaks for the past 2.5 yrs

Looks promising.

Any others?

e: By pay I mean a subscription. I’m fine with eg $5 one time for Streaks or $13/month for Netflix but tracking my haircuts isn’t something I wanna pay a subscription for.

e2: Streaks only lets you do 6 things max.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 31, 2017

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Pretty sure you can do 12 with Streaks.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

e2: Streaks only lets you do 6 things max.

Current version supports two pages. You can do 12 things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Streaks looks pretty neat. Is it only for daily things? I’ve tried the free version of Daily Habits and it seems to have more flexibility with things i want to do a few times a week.

hadji murad fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 2, 2018