Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Your taste is rubbish, sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We threw it out.

Picture these in lavender and tell me with a straight face that you wouldn't have thrown them out.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
Pretty sure it's already lost, but unstylish.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Picture these in lavender and tell me with a straight face that you wouldn't have thrown them out.

Sold. Yeesh.

That particular arrangement of cloth and thread is gone forever, sir. It made for a fine argument against nudity taboos, and I did not wish to entertain it ever again.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Rubbish it is...!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

We did tell him we were blunt all those years ago.

rubbish

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

We threw it out.

Checkered lavender accompanied with spats. Let's make sure we all have a full picture of the horror, here.

quote:

"You...discarded it?"

"It was the only way to be certain that it was gone forever, sir."

"That was my favorite outfit!"

"It was most unsuitable. It offended the eye, and repulsed all who beheld you. I held my tongue, but I feel now it is my duty to speak up."

Rory seems rather irritated, and finally pulls out a simple waist-seam coat and white flannel trousers.

"I an unaccustomed to having my clothing discarded," Rory says. "I assume you approve of this ensemble?"

"Much better," you say, and help Rory into his far more appropriate outfit.

quote:

Finally dressed, Rory strolls into the living room, and slumps onto the easy chair, plucking up a book from the end table.

"We have plans to make, Butler. Dinner must be cooked, and I must finish this god-awful book."

Rory holds the book up. "Releasing the Hidden Potential of Your Hitherto-Unawakened Mind in 12 Easy Steps, by Professor Clarence Q. Hickory. It's my opinion that this Professor Hickory is an rear end of the first order. Listen to this excerpt."

"...there are several primal mechanisms by which emotional energies that lie dormant, perhaps suppressed by the desire to cleave to social norms, may be brought forward and thus integrated into one's personality. However, in order for psychoanalytic intervention to be effect, the patient must regress through a series of archetypical stages, to shed or replay four psychodramatic stages, to recapitulate one's phylogeny via ontogeny, as Ernst Haeckel has demonstrated."

Rory looks up. "Why Aunt Primrose felt I needed to read this drivel is beyond me. It seems to be in no particular order whatsoever. Just a series of words helter-skelter on the page. She's certain to quiz me on it, and I need to have some semblance of an answer. Does it mean a thing to you at all?"

Volunteer to read the book myself and give Rory the highlights.
Aid Rory in bluffing his way through a discussion of the book.
Encourage Rory by saying that the book is surely within his capacity to read and understand.

I'm not gonna lie, I've managed a complete playthrough of this game three times, and played through the prologue a lot more as I experimented with this or that. This is literally the first time I've managed to read that excerpt in full without my eyes glazing over and skimming at some point.

Most current stats posted:

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 54%
Culture: 25%
Intellect: 31%
Observe: 35%
Persuade: 36%
Skulduggery: 19%
Soothing/Abrasive: 37%/63%

Your Reputation
Renown: 10%
Tranquility: 18% (-2%)
Suspicion: 10%

Rory: 47% (-7%)

Ready Monies: 25

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Wonder if this is a real book. Let’s encourage him to memorize it!

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

I don't think the book is real, thank god for that. Searching the title mostly brought me to a lot of different self-help fluff sites. Searching "Clarence Q. Hickory" brought me to everything from Wild Bill Hickory BBQ on Yelp to the Clarence Cannon Dam.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
"Sir, I encourage you to think more highly of yourself, if not this book."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bluff your way to success.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

You can bluff your way out of anything, sir!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Encourage. This isn't hard, boss.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Read it ourselves.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
We are a bluffer and a pugilist. A gentleman's man!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Bluffing is a useful skill.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

Slaan posted:

We are a bluffer and a pugilist. A gentleman's man!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Help him cheat. As blatantly as possible.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bluff

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

Apologies for the delay, folks. Travel's gonna be wringing me dry for another few days.

quote:

"That is a troubling situation, sir. However, it is my experience that casual conversation rarely requires a full reading of a book."

"No?"

"No. One must only have perhaps two statements that can be used to respond to any given query."

"How can it be that I have never heard of such a thing? Quickly, now. Teach me these statements. I await with bated breath."

"When faced with a query, simply say, 'Ah, yes,' and then tap your chin thoughtfully, as if pondering. That will buy you time, and very probably, the questioner will see your response as thoughtful and wise."

"It seems somehow insufficient," Rory says. "What if she presses the point?"

"In that case, you respond by simply crossing your arms and replying, 'So they say. But I remain skeptical.' That will leave her nonplussed, and she will drop the line of questioning."

"I trust you, Butler. I shall jot these phrases and gestures down to ensure I don't forget them."

"Thank you, sir. Now I should go prepare dinner."

quote:

Tying on your apron, you step into the kitchen and begin to consider your options for dinner. You make a quick calculation, taking into account the ingredients at your disposal and the time you have remaining before the arrival of the notoriously punctual Aunt Primrose.

As you see it, you have three options. Aunt Primrose's favorite dish is veal ragout with truffles and apricot compote, but she is finicky about it, and it is not a simple dish.

You could also make roast beef au jus with haricots verts, which is certainly simpler, although less impressive.

Finally, in a pinch, you could make a cheese omelet, and shave the truffles onto it. Aunt Primrose might be unimpressed, but at least it's quickly cooked and difficult to make badly.

What should you cook?

Veal ragout with truffles and apricot compote.
Roast beef au jus with haricots verts.
Cheese omelet with rosemary and shaved truffles.

It's time for another double vote! The next question is about how we want to handle dessert.

quote:

Chocolate mousse would go well, and it's fairly easy to whip up.
A port-poached pear tart with homemade raspberry-streaked creme fraiche.
Let's skip dessert.

I'll count each vote for dinner and dessert separately.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Tranquility: 18%

Rory: 47%

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Our impressive boldness will not help us in the kitchen. We should play it safe with the two compromise options, Roast Beef and Chocolate Mousse.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

It's the holiday season, of course we must go with Roast beastBeef and Creme Fraiche

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Roast beef and chocolate mousse.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Veal ragout and a pear tart. Go big or go home.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Veal and moose mousse.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Seconded.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Veal ragout and some mousse, perfect!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Roast beef & chocolate mouse.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Veal ragout and some mousse, perfect!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

chitoryu12 posted:

This. Also, wtf is haricot vert?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

Also, wtf is haricot vert?

Green beans.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Green beans.

It's French for this

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

Yeah, I kept thinking I had to be missing something, because whenever I Googled "haricots verts" I would see pictures of green beans but none of the recipes called them green beans. Though apparently there are some very fancy things you can do with green beans!

In other news, I also asked a couple of relatives who know a tad more about cooking than me about veal ragout. They general consensus seemed to be that veal is an odd choice for a ragout, since veal is pretty tender on its own and ragout can easily be used to tenderize a piece of tough meat. But hey, maybe it works if you're an old lady. Or maybe it works if you're on a time crunch, like we are.

quote:

It has to be the veal, you realize suddenly. If you offer Aunt Primrose her favorite dinner, that will go some way towards putting her in a good mood. The veal it is, then.

You begin to gather the ingredients for the ragout. Wait a moment. What about dessert?

Chocolate mousse would go well, and it's fairly easy to whip up.

quote:

The dark chocolate mousse will surely create a satisfying conclusion to dinner. Surely Aunt Primrose can't complain about mousse.

You square your shoulders, take a deep breath, and begin to cook dinner, as Rory paces back and forth in the living room, gnawing on a fingernail, and looking out the window tensely.

You pick up the knife, and...

...what would you say is your general approach to cooking?

Playful and improvisational.
Careful attention to a popular recipe, ensuring a comforting familiarity.
Irritated and slapdash, filled with shortcuts and work-arounds.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Tranquility: 18%

Rory: 47%

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Playful and improvisational! dear god I hope this doesn't wreck us

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

slapdash af

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Cook playful & inspirational, with help from the rat nesting in our hair.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Playful and improvisational! dear god I hope this doesn't wreck us

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Careful attention - there's a time for play and it's not with knives.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Slapdash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
As a boxer, we must beat the recipe into submission. slapdash

• Locked thread