Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

started up Just Cause 3, which holds yr hand a bit at the beginning but the immediate additions of new abilities and stuff require it. you gotta admire a game that encourages, nay requires, you to just go nuts. "yeah, so there's this bad guy, he's doing bad stuff, here's some weapons and a grappling hook and a wingsuit and an infinite parachute, there's the stuff to blow up... have fun!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

Does Breath of the Wild start doing something cool or unique at some point? I'm a few hours in (activated 3 towers) and I don't understand the hype at all so far, it feels like a generic open world RPG with lots of huge empty open spaces you have to run through where nothing happens and there's nothing of note to find. I can't find anything to do except for shrines, towers and clearing out goblin camps, and all the goblin camps reward me with are a couple arrows or a crafting material. I'm getting upset at how badly this game disrespects my time by forcing me to do really monotonous unexciting things over and over, like slowly climb towers or run across this giant open field with nothing going on, or even watching the unskippable repetitive tower activation cutscenes. I almost never even find enemies to fight outside of the goblin camps. The combat is really bad and clunky by genre standards so I don't mind not finding many enemies but I wish I could find things to do in general.

It's the first 3d Zelda game I've played, are they all like this? Am I the broken one?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 30, 2017

Pro Target

Agreed. i hate when games waste my time by doing monotonous thigns like making me do combat, or walking places. they should be a button i press that pops up a dialog box that says 'You win!'

Scaly Haylie

if you're still in the tutorial area, rest assured you get arguably the most fun item in the game at the end of it. things will get more dangerous/monster-laden as you move away from the center of the map.

Pro Target

[looking at a beautiful painting] wow... this is unoriginal bullshit. i saw like 100 of these for sale at ikea

deep dish peat moss

Pro Target posted:

[looking at a beautiful painting] wow... this is unoriginal bullshit. i saw like 100 of these for sale at ikea

It doesn't cost me $60 to look at a beautiful painting!!

Lizard Wizard posted:

if you're still in the tutorial area, rest assured you get arguably the most fun item in the game at the end of it. things will get more dangerous/monster-laden as you move away from the center of the map.

I think I got out of it, I got off the plateau and I've explored a few nearby regions and got their towers. I'm going to go do the quest after getting off the plateau now I guess because maybe all the cool stuff is story gated. If I had the horse it wouldn't be so annoying to run everywhere

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 30, 2017

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

deep dish peat moss posted:

Does Breath of the Wild start doing something cool or unique at some point? I'm a few hours in (activated 3 towers) and I don't understand the hype at all so far, it feels like a generic open world RPG with lots of huge empty open spaces you have to run through where nothing happens and there's nothing of note to find. I can't find anything to do except for shrines, towers and clearing out goblin camps, and all the goblin camps reward me with are a couple arrows or a crafting material. I'm getting upset at how badly this game disrespects my time by forcing me to do really monotonous unexciting things over and over, like slowly climb towers or run across this giant open field with nothing going on, or even watching the unskippable repetitive tower activation cutscenes. I almost never even find enemies to fight outside of the goblin camps. The combat is really bad and clunky by genre standards so I don't mind not finding many enemies but I wish I could find things to do in general.

It's the first 3d Zelda game I've played, are they all like this? Am I the broken one?

are videogames overhyped????

Rushi

by Smythe
I want a video game like harvest moon or star valley but you are a vegetable

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

hearts of iron 4 quenches my thirst for giant monster wargames that have 5000 counters and take 1500 hours to complete. More games should be more like hearts of iron 4.

I want a company of heroes game done in a similar style now. Operational or tactical level instead of strategic, complete with lines of communication/supply, individually-tailored fire teams, platoon, up to battalion level makeup. and all done with cool blocks on the map the way HOI4 does it. I like that the people that pop up when you zoom in are all optional because they look terrible and it looks much better as giant blocks to show fronts.

so yeah COh but with blocks instead of individual men and you're giving them general orders not having them choose which 5-foot square to move into.

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

oh yeah where's the best deals for monitors nowadays? iirc every year there used to be new years/xmas deals to follow up the black friday deals

Koishi Komeiji

It doesn't cost me $60 to look at a beautiful painting!!

I think I got out of it, I got off the plateau and I've explored a few nearby regions and got their towers. I'm going to go do the quest after getting off the plateau now I guess because maybe all the cool stuff is story gated. If I had the horse it wouldn't be so annoying to run everywhere

I would recommend you just do the main quest and any other side quests you find interesting in the five towns in the game since that is the most video gamey part of BotW. Once you leave the tutorial plateau nothing is really gated off if you're brave enough (not even the final boss). But overall BotW is a very quiet game that demands an enormous amount of patience from the player so although I liked it I totally understand people that think it sucks. And yeah, the combat is easily the worst part of the game but you don't get experience and level up so just run past enemies if you can.

deep dish peat moss

I don't really think it sucks, it's fun enough to keep playing but just based on the reception I've seen I was expecting something that would totally blow my mind. I'm not a very patient video gamer and everything I've played on the Switch is rubbing me the wrong way in that regard, all these games have lots of unskippable cutscenes of minor things that you watch repeatedly a million times :(

There's a patch that makes it run well in console mode so that has helped a little, it's nicer on a big screen

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 31, 2017

deep dish peat moss

Chill la Chill posted:

oh yeah where's the best deals for monitors nowadays? iirc every year there used to be new years/xmas deals to follow up the black friday deals

Costco is where I usually go for monitors/TVs, I got a 42" sony TV for $350 right before christmas, their monitor deals are good too and their return policy lets you return it for a full refund even years after you buy it. If you don't have a membership just check their website and buy online.

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

I don't really think it sucks, it's fun enough to keep playing but just based on the reception I've seen I was expecting something that would totally blow my mind. I'm not a very patient video gamer and everything I've played on the Switch is rubbing me the wrong way in that regard, all these games have lots of unskippable cutscenes of minor things that you watch repeatedly a million times :(

There's a patch that makes it run well in console mode so that has helped a little, it's nicer on a big screen

These days almost all AAA games and big upcoming titles need a hype train to back them up because otherwise the game never sells enough on sheer quality alone to make the money back. It can get really hard to tell what's really good and what isn’t these days based on public opinion because of the immense number of people saying "Breath of the Wild is GOTY, Cuphead and Dark Souls are the hardest games I've ever played, etc." only started formulating opinions when games reached mainstream popularity. I want to say the budget for GTA V was something like $500,000,000 and I believe they spent roughly half on advertising.

BotW isn't particularly bad, just incredibly disappointing for a Zelda game. It's definitely the most playable Zelda since Wind Waker but once you've cooked, tamed a couple horses, and realized that there's no gear in the game just this dumb magic tablet that was obviously an abandoned vehicle for using the Wii U gamepad, the whole thing just feels sorta pointless. Horizon Zero Dawn, being readily comparable since it's almost identical to Zelda, lacks polish and a few of the features of Zelda, but still ultimately wins out for being fairly original and much more fun to play.

People can cry rose colored glasses about the 64 Zeldas all the want but at least they're very complete and well rounded games and easily stack up against their predecessors like LttP (or Link's Awakening but idk if it's necessarily a predecessor). Hell, even Wind Waker wasn't bad save for a few flaws- but TP is empty, SS is a Wii game, and BotW is The Legend of Zelda: Skyrim.

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 31, 2017

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Pro Target

you people are psychotic. shigeru miyamoto made a beautiful contempaltive work of art for you adn youre taking a poo poo on it.

Pro Target

sorry ti doesnt have 8 dungeons and 8 items or whatever you ingrates want for something to be a 'real' zelda game,. you nitwits

Pro Target

Personally, im glad they finally made one for people who actually want to play vidfeo games and enjoy them instead of jacking their weiner over nostalgia with OOT-clone-after-churned-out-OOT-clone

Starman Super DX

Pro Target posted:

Personally, im glad they finally made one for people who actually want to play vidfeo games and enjoy them instead of jacking their weiner over nostalgia with OOT-clone-after-churned-out-OOT-clone

sum1 obvs hasnt played Destiny 2 yet!!! :smug:

Tell me more!

Starman Super DX

me I’m excited for the new assman’s crud. I’m a millennial adult with a job and a life but thank god this game saves me time by making sure I only have to press one button at a time to make cool cut scenes happen

Tell me more!

Koishi Komeiji

*Sees single enemy off in the distance*

Hhhhmmm I wonder if it's worth it to invest 8 spears, 10 swords, 12 axes and 3 bows to kill this lil guy and hope he maybe drops one ingredient for a potion hhhhhmmmm

*pulls out abacus and plays with the beads for 20 minutes*

Koishi Komeiji

Pro Target posted:

BotW has a 20 dollar dlc that lets you dress up in Majora's mask and wear Tingle's outfit iirc

Koishi Komeiji

Also my dude, I wasn't "taking a poo poo on it" I was just pointing out the game's flaws. A game can be good and have flaws, just like Windwaker, Majora's Mask and Adventures of Link. The Zelda franchise has always been good but has never been perfect.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Hhhhmmm I wonder if it's worth it to invest 8 spears, 10 swords, 12 axes and 3 bows to kill this lil guy and hope he maybe drops one ingredient for a potion hhhhhmmmm

What’s this game? I want it. I have it in board game form but could use it in video game form

Pro Target

Koishi Komeiji posted:

BotW has a 20 dollar dlc that lets you dress up in Majora's mask and wear Tingle's outfit iirc

Yeah thats definitely more Nostalgia-bating than remaking literally the same game over and over for like 15 years

Pro Target

This time, we put the Hook Shot in the FIRE temple! Whoa!

Starman Super DX

Pro Target posted:

Yeah thats definitely more Nostalgia-bating than remaking literally the same game over and over for like 15 years

boy I’d love to be apart of whatever world you live in. it sounds like a magical place

Tell me more!

cda

by Hand Knit

Starman Super DX posted:

boy I’d love to be apart of whatever world you live in. it sounds like a magical place

They've definitely been remaking the same game for 15 years.

Starman Super DX

cda posted:

They've definitely been remaking the same game for 15 years.

I think if they’ve been remaking the same game the complaints would be very different. in fact, doing literally the same thing for every game is entirely against miyamoto’s design philosophy. at least if they were making the same game I could give them credit for consistency.

saying that every Zelda game has been the exact same rehash is a little ignorant tbh

e: I mean really the whole point is that BotW is only a mediocre game and it isn’t because it’s not a clone, it’s because it’s short, there’s nothing to do, the story is trite and meaningless on top of there being a handful of poor design decisions. being a clone wouldn’t have made it the Zelda everyone wanted it to be but it would have been better than the weird Zelda Skyrim thing we got instead.

still better than TP and SS though.

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 31, 2017

Tell me more!

Harold Fjord
I've been playing Wolfenstein TNO and it's like, how are these Nazis any different from the Nazis I was first person shooting in the 90's? SMH come on games, new stuff plz.

Whatever, kill Nazis.

Koishi Komeiji

Pro Target posted:

So BotW is another of these remakes you dislike so much? Because it has stuff you collect so you can explore four temples and then knock down the big bad guy at the end. It's a lot less structured this time, so it stands out from the rest in that regard. But then Skyward Sword had motion controls, Majora's Mask had that time travel gimmick and Wind waker had all that sailing so there's that too.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i tried to play df again and apparatnly you can raid/steal stuff now, so i took a necromancers tome, which the raiders dropped on the ground on return, and then a parrot stole it. 5/5 goty

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
The latest patch (from crimmus day I think?) should fix the dumb artifact drop bug, so maybe you'll be able to turn your fort into necromancers sometime in the future.

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
there's always more necromancers to steal from. the entire thing went to hell when some of my native necromancers paniced in a siege and started raising corpses, who were somehow hostile to them anyway. long story short, the remaining necromancers kept doing this until they were all dead

Nosfereefer

aparantly the secret is to turn everybody intro vampires first, by throwing a vampire into the central well and making sure it keeps bleeding forever? 6/5

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I'm enoying 'wind waker, but as a dog'

Koishi Komeiji

Pro Target posted:

This time, we put the Hook Shot in the FIRE temple! Whoa!

BotW is a completely new Zelda game. This time Link's tunic is blue instead of green. Miyamoto-sama is a genius! :swoon:

Chasterson

by Nyc_Tattoo
BOTW is cool because you just run around this very pretty video game world for hours and it's so good it's almost like walking outside when it's nice out, never been anything like it

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Scaly Haylie

Koishi Komeiji posted:

don't think, feel

Pro Target

botw has the most lovingly crafted open world ever createdand a bunch of nerds see map markers and go 'wow.. just like syrim'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro Target

twilight princess is better than OoT