Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Jedi425 posted:

Yeah it's less 'I don't want to buy fetches' and more 'my wife is going to murder me with my own Modern deckbox' if she catches me dropping $butt on a goddamn Magic card.

Thanks for the decks, anyway, I like the sound of D&T but oof, Vials. Maybe I'll just buy a Masters box and hope I win big. :shepspends:

You can buy 4 vials for the price of a masters box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Sickening posted:

You can buy 4 vials for the price of a masters box?

In my defense, I had no idea Iconic Masters boxes were that much more than I'd seen regular set boxes going for at my LGS. drat.

\/\/\/EDIT: Oh, natch. I thought the Shep-face was enough to indicate how insane that idea is.

Jedi425 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 31, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jedi425 posted:

In my defense, I had no idea Iconic Masters boxes were that much more than I'd seen regular set boxes going for at my LGS. drat.

Opening sealed product to get x card is never worth it unless the product is a pre/constructed deck. Anytime you get this idea in your head , slap yourself.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Kenji Egashira/NumotTheNummy finally won one of his MTGO top 8s and won the MOCS qualifier. Good for him. Look at this shockingly mediocre draft deck that he 3-0/6-0ed with in the top 8:

https://twitter.com/NumotTheNummy/status/947297998752452609

Ixalan limited is so incredibly bad but at least something good came from it.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
You know what else is bad? Standard. Jesus Christ. Normally I love standard, it's so disappointing. Store championship was 60% UGx Energy.... again. I played against it every round.... again. Rivals can't come soon enough and there better be a B&R that axes Attune and maybe also Rogue Refiner to go along with it or imma be real sad

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Hellsau posted:

Kenji Egashira/NumotTheNummy finally won one of his MTGO top 8s and won the MOCS qualifier. Good for him. Look at this shockingly mediocre draft deck that he 3-0/6-0ed with in the top 8:

Seriously could not have happened to a nicer / more unfortunate dude. Kenji's been X+1 like 4 times now, including to a guy {Stephen Speck} who would later be disqualified from the Pro Tour for stacking his deck while playing Amulet Bloom.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I won my Game day by playing U/W Approach and making GBS threads on Energy.
The deck just auto wins game one, and winning one out of two of the next game isn't too hard to do with a sideboard package of Gearhulks and Regal Caracles.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Hellsau posted:

That deck is not "shockingly mediocre", it's a Lightning Strike away from being the perfect RW aggro draft, which is at least the second best Ixalan archetype.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Rules question: I was playing against a friend at modern FNM. He has a goyf out, I have a Thalia and TKS out. He thoughtseizes during first main, takes a card, attacks, and I say no blocks, 5 damage. I then realize he only paid 1 for thoughtseize instead of 2 because of Thalia, which is relevant because he only has 3 lands and was likely going to play another goyf in main 2. I point it out as soon as I realize it, after we have declared damage.

What's the fix? We eventually rewinded back to the casting of the thoughtseize, with it on the stack, and he chose how to pay the 1 extra and had a chance to reconsider his attack. Was this the correct fix? This store didn't have a judge present so we went off if assumptions with past experiences .

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'm pretty sure the answer is your opponent gets a free mana and you both get warnings to be more careful but I'm not entirely sure. Rewinding is only supposed to be done if it's easy to do and no advantage can be gained, and knowing about the no blocks seems like it's relevant enough. I'm also not a judge so for all I know I'm exactly wrong.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

I'm pretty sure the answer is your opponent gets a free mana and you both get warnings to be more careful but I'm not entirely sure. Rewinding is only supposed to be done if it's easy to do and no advantage can be gained, and knowing about the no blocks seems like it's relevant enough. I'm also not a judge so for all I know I'm exactly wrong.

We kinda determined there wasn't advantage either way because we had both seen all of each other's cards and the thoughtseize is what he had drawn for the turn so there was zero unknown information. I suppose knowledge that I wouldn't block is somewhat relevant. We figured that the extra tax isn't something you can try to catch your opponent on, like casting into a chalice.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

We kinda determined there wasn't advantage either way because we had both seen all of each other's cards and the thoughtseize is what he had drawn for the turn so there was zero unknown information. I suppose knowledge that I wouldn't block is somewhat relevant. We figured that the extra tax isn't something you can try to catch your opponent on, like casting into a chalice.

The extra mana is both players' responsibility. If you intentionally try to cast a spell under a Thalia without paying the tax, you're cheating. I definitely think rewinding to the spell being on the stack is wrong either way. Basically, you can't rewind to before the Thoughtseize because he knows your hand now and might just not cast it. I don't like rewinding to the Thoughtseize being on the stack because he could take a different card now that he knows you want to race, and I don't like making him pay the extra mana because you both agreed at the time that the correct cost was paid. I think of the 3 the last option is most defensible because it's what the game state should look like, but I still think the right thing is just to let it go.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Yea it's not a "missed trigger" situation, if someone does not pay thalia tax then they have made an illegal play.

If it's a fnm the fix is to say "sorry" then pay the extra mana. At a competitive event the judge's fix will be either back things up to when the spell was being paid for, or if the game has developed too much to back up, then just have you play on. Either way both players get a warning. Moving through combat would probably be enough for the judge to say things can't be backed up.

Source: Not a judge but I play thalias and even at comp rel people forget to pay the tax pretty often.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah I've been been playing Thalia's for a long time and sometimes at casual events I don't notice people not paying correctly. I'm pretty hawkish about it at comp REL and have never actually had to think about that scenario until now. I just thought it was an odd situation because of us both having perfect knowledge of hands at the time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Yeah I've been been playing Thalia's for a long time and sometimes at casual events I don't notice people not paying correctly. I'm pretty hawkish about it at comp REL and have never actually had to think about that scenario until now. I just thought it was an odd situation because of us both having perfect knowledge of hands at the time.

I have played humans at Comp rel one time and the amount of judge calls I had from opponents forgetting Thalia was kind of headache inducing. Two of them in situations where the spell in question resolving meant winning or losing for my opponent.

Leyline of sanctity, chalice, and Thalia must cause so many judge calls in modern.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Some early RIX spoilers

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
i really like the minotaur PW. Just a matter of the CMC being a bit on the high side for him to be playable. To bad he couldn't have been 4cmc, he'd be playable in modern somewhere.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Interesting Qasali Pridemage variant

what a weird line of rules text

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

doubling down on everything people hated about ixn limited seems good to me, a professional game designer

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

An okay card for limited until you get to the last word.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wow, Thrashing Brontodon is quite the upgrade on the usual 3/3 for 1GG.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Wow, Thrashing Brontodon is quite the upgrade on the usual 3/3 for 1GG.

is it really tho

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That Angrath is so disappointing I'm like sad it's bad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That art does not depict a 3/4 for 3. IMHO.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

moush posted:

Some early RIX spoilers

Maybe if the plus was +2 and actually an effect you wanted, like making a pirate 2/2. The minus is good, but I don't know how good for 5 cmc.

The ult is pretty laughably bad too for how long it takes to build. What a waste of art.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 31, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sickening posted:

Maybe if the plus was +2 and actually an effect you wanted, like making a pirate 2/2. The minus is good, but I don't know how good for 5 cmc.

The ult is pretty laughably bad too for how long it takes to build. What a waste of art.

You mean you're not excited pay 5 to get to cast either Highjack or Whispers of Emrakul?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 31, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
that planeswalker seems really bad

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Aggro walker at 5 is a really tough sell and I thought they knew that by now

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Aggro walker at 5 is a really tough sell and I thought they knew that by now

nah it's just the extremely generic +1 for card advantage, -2 to kill something, ultimate to win the game walker we've seen a million times, just with a bunch of extra words to try and hide how low-effort the design is

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's a bad Ob Nixilis Reignited, so it might still be borderline standard playable

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Really not a fan of the woefully underpowered cool planeswalkers they're putting out as of late.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
tbh i missed the last sentence of the minus since i stopped reading after i saw that it was a threaten, but it still seems bad

how op would it be if that "if" was replaced with "unless"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It would be far better if the creature was sacrificed no matter what its converted mana cost was.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Suppose if a meta comes around were there are few 4+ CMC creatures he can sort of protect himself, but you probable don't play 5 man's Walters there. It's a neat design though. Maybe if he could it on being played he'd seen better.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The real question is can you redirect the + damage to a walker or does it specifically have to say "player or planeswalker" now?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

The real question is can you redirect the + damage to a walker or does it specifically have to say "player or planeswalker" now?

it causes loss of life, not damage, so no

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's not damage so you can't redirect it anyway.

Edit: dammit Elyv

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So it does.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Count Bleck posted:

So it does.

Loss of life was never redirectable, only damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Turns out Youthful Knight isn't very good in Modern