Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Professor Shark posted:

Wasn't there a science fiction book series where humanity had to leave the Milky Way because a self replicating solar powered robot just gobbed up everything?

Yeah I think the Revelation Space books had something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

Wasn't there a science fiction book series where humanity had to leave the Milky Way because a self replicating solar powered robot just gobbed up everything?

I don't even know if it attacked humans, it just kept making more of itself using whatever materials it could

I don't know the book you're specifically thinking of but the "grey goo" scenario is a pretty common sci-fi apocalypse. It's usually more nanotechnology oriented, but it's the same basic idea - you have some kind of autonomous machine that converts matter into more of itself, so it multiplies exponentially until it consumes all the matter it can reach (i.e. the entire planet/solar system/universe).

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Watching Black Museum
the brain implant that makes you feel what the patient feels is a Karl Pilkington idea.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I liked Metalhead just because it reminded me of Skynet and T2

Also why didn't the "dog" just shoot her when she was in the tree?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

Maybe it can't aim? The other two people it only shot at point-blank range.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

actionjackson posted:

Also, if the dogs can't climb, how did it get up on the shelf behind the box of teddy bears? Did whatever military force that deployed these things to eradicate all non-robot life from the planet think that these teddy bears were of key importance and worth protecting?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

Also, if the dogs can't climb, how did it get up on the shelf behind the box of teddy bears? Did whatever military force that deployed these things to eradicate all non-robot life from the planet think that these teddy bears were of key importance and worth protecting?

They can climb normally, it couldn't climb due to the damaged leg it had.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm pretty sure it can climb stairs, it just can't climb trees, because one of them is more standardized and easier to program.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

unlawfulsoup posted:

I am not sure where you stand, but airstrikes are always going to be impersonal and potentially random to victims. Adding that sort of thing to localized events is potentially even more terrifying. What if SWAT started to rely on something like this to reduce police deaths and because the machines were claimed to be more accurate at detecting combatants? Hell the scenario in black mirror just seemed like some random warehouses kill droids who can be programmed in god knows what way.

But hey none of that matters because there are murders in the world according to wampa, no need to consider the implications of AI killing machines because the US military has killed people.

the whole legal justification for a police shooting is that you're an imminent danger - pointing a gun at a person or the officer.

you can't just send in a robot dog to shoot them without an imminent (aiming at a civvie) threat, it's technically murder.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

sout posted:

Watching Black Museum
the brain implant that makes you feel what the patient feels is a Karl Pilkington idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT0l1io7ZYQ

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

actionjackson posted:

The leg it left behind in the car crash was the one with the gun

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ah okay thanks, that explains it using the knife later

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I didn't even know there was a new Black Mirror and watched the last one thinking it was the bees episode from last season I hadn't watched yet.

It almost felt playful to me in that the contrast between the old UK miniseries and the new Netflix era was being played up, the weak-episodes-stuck-together, framing multiverse device and then the leads accent change especially. I really liked the addicts hurt the people closest to them thing being a 25 minute gag but think I'm not as afraid of AI as I should be? as the rest didn't land. Am looking forward to seeing the other 5 episodes and also the bees episode from last season that's my story peace.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I really liked Black Museum, maybe slightly more than Callister (because the ending of Callister sucked) but dunno

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Black Museum’s central message that torture is ok when it’s against jerks is great, one of my favorite episodes

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Black Museum made me miss Utopia.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 31, 2017

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Just watched Callister, Arkangel, and Black Museum. Definitely a theme going on here.

Callister
Holy poo poo this one was good.

I try to go into these episodes not guessing the twists - just let the ride take me. This episode was incredibly powerful, and more than a little spooky. Who hasn't had over-the-top hero or revenge fantasies as a kid? And, hell, who hasn't occasionally indulged in a daydream about Getting The Girl or Saving The Company as an adult? I'd hope that most people wouldn't fantasize about an eternal torture-fest, but, based on that one weird poster in this very thread, maybe I'm just naive.

Chalk me up to one who didn't like the ending, though. Daly definitely should have survived - not because it's a "darker" ending or whatever, but because the game technology definitely would have about a billion failsafes. I don't know why I choke on that part and not the whole magic-DNA-plus-memories bit, but there you go. Maybe it's because the punishment definitely, definitely did NOT fit the crime (I know that's a theme of Black Mirror), and the concept of eternity is literally my worst fear.

Someone upthread suggested that a stronger ending would have been the IRL folks finding out about the sadistic torture fantasies of the CTO, and I agree with that. That would have made for a very, very interesting conversation around morality / legality - what he did was not in any way illegal (if we excuse the DNA hijacking), but absolutely repugnant. It would have been insanely powerful to see him walk through the office space to his little office while everyone around him _knew_, they just _knew_.

Arkangel
This one wasn't very powerful for me. I felt like Mom escalated way too quickly. She turned off the monitor for, what, like ten years? So she clearly wasn't totally overprotective the whole time. To go from that to grinding up a morning-after pill in a smoothie in under a day just felt weird. I get that she was screwed up by seeing her kid fuckin' (I think anyone would be on tilt after that, to say the least). But the escalation felt too fast, for little payoff. The tech was obvious from the get-go here, too.

Black Museum
This whole episode turned on the interaction between the two main characters. And, holy poo poo, they were both great. I didn't like the black-and-white morality (Hodges' character was cartoonishly evil), but I was really impressed with the thought put into the parade of sick fucks that lined up to electrocute a captive.

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Metalhead

I don't buy the drone operator theory. They repeatedly demonstrated the dog's on-the-fly problem solving skills and active human control wouldn't be baited by Bella throwing candy at the thing to run its battery down.

The robots going rogue makes the most sense. It doesn't seem like that much time had lapsed since whatever happened to create the status quo. I mean, she found an opened and still liquid can of paint in the house, water was still running, etc. There was a Range Rover in the driveway of what looked like a really nice house, which presumably wouldn't have been someone lower class scheduled for extermination.

The dogs also don't seem sentient, and probably don't really qualify as AI so much as just being a complex piece of software designed to kill any living thing it comes in contact with. A small amount of world building would have drastically improved Metalhead instead of copping out with the "teddy bears dying kid aww" idea.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ClumsyThief posted:

Metalhead

I don't buy the drone operator theory. They repeatedly demonstrated the dog's on-the-fly problem solving skills and active human control wouldn't be baited by Bella throwing candy at the thing to run its battery down.

The robots going rogue makes the most sense. It doesn't seem like that much time had lapsed since whatever happened to create the status quo. I mean, she found an opened and still liquid can of paint in the house, water was still running, etc. There was a Range Rover in the driveway of what looked like a really nice house, which presumably wouldn't have been someone lower class scheduled for extermination.

The dogs also don't seem sentient, and probably don't really qualify as AI so much as just being a complex piece of software designed to kill any living thing it comes in contact with. A small amount of world building would have drastically improved Metalhead instead of copping out with the "teddy bears dying kid aww" idea.

Alternate episode ending idea: they don't have a human operator, but they do have a human audience, who are gleefully watching footage of the killings in their home country as they watch random enemy civilians get torn apart. Kind of a Two Minutes Hate thing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

21 Muns posted:

Alternate episode ending idea: they don't have a human operator, but they do have a human audience, who are gleefully watching footage of the killings in their home country as they watch random enemy civilians get torn apart. Kind of a Two Minutes Hate thing.

Metalhead:
I feel like this actually wouldn't work as a twist because the whole thing that makes drone warfare awful is how detached it makes people from the actual violence. Showing people reveling in it would work if the point being made was that "humans are lovely", but that point has been made plenty of times before in the show without the autonomous drone angle. Something thematically appropriate would be more along the lines of some guy in a bunker somewhere being handed a report saying that the drones located and eliminated three enemy combatants today, and having him just kind of dispassionately nod in approval before or make some comment about how well the war is going, that kind of thing.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Metalhead:
I feel like this actually wouldn't work as a twist because the whole thing that makes drone warfare awful is how detached it makes people from the actual violence. Showing people reveling in it would work if the point being made was that "humans are lovely", but that point has been made plenty of times before in the show without the autonomous drone angle. Something thematically appropriate would be more along the lines of some guy in a bunker somewhere being handed a report saying that the drones located and eliminated three enemy combatants today, and having him just kind of dispassionately nod in approval before or make some comment about how well the war is going, that kind of thing.

Yeah, that's a lot better.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Metalhead:

I initially conceived the dog as the automatic security system of the warehouse and I can see a similar ending where the weekly loss prevention stats are compiled at some long abandoned server farm for a company that doesn't exist anymore

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Arkangel
In the scene where the mom is being shown the new technology, they use what I'm pretty sure is a clip from Men Against Fire to explain how she can use the filter to prevent her daughter from seeing unwanted content. I hope so, because that'd be a great reference.

Also, the teenage daughter has a Tusk (rapper who was bee'd to death in Hated in the Nation) poster in her room.

Murmur Twin fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 1, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Thursday Next posted:

Just watched Callister, Arkangel, and Black Museum. Definitely a theme going on here.

Callister
Holy poo poo this one was good.

I try to go into these episodes not guessing the twists - just let the ride take me. This episode was incredibly powerful, and more than a little spooky. Who hasn't had over-the-top hero or revenge fantasies as a kid? And, hell, who hasn't occasionally indulged in a daydream about Getting The Girl or Saving The Company as an adult? I'd hope that most people wouldn't fantasize about an eternal torture-fest, but, based on that one weird poster in this very thread, maybe I'm just naive.

Chalk me up to one who didn't like the ending, though. Daly definitely should have survived - not because it's a "darker" ending or whatever, but because the game technology definitely would have about a billion failsafes. I don't know why I choke on that part and not the whole magic-DNA-plus-memories bit, but there you go. Maybe it's because the punishment definitely, definitely did NOT fit the crime (I know that's a theme of Black Mirror), and the concept of eternity is literally my worst fear.

Someone upthread suggested that a stronger ending would have been the IRL folks finding out about the sadistic torture fantasies of the CTO, and I agree with that. That would have made for a very, very interesting conversation around morality / legality - what he did was not in any way illegal (if we excuse the DNA hijacking), but absolutely repugnant. It would have been insanely powerful to see him walk through the office space to his little office while everyone around him _knew_, they just _knew_.

Callister
We learn in Black Museum that these consciousnesses have rights. Him torturing sentient people in a simulation would be illegal. I don't know when those timelines all match up, but they are close enough that it's either illegal or about to be illegal. Maybe those people start interacting with more players and it gets out that there are sentient AI living within Infinity. Then their story gets out. That could be the catalyst towards ensuring these consciousnesses have the rights they deserve.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Metalhead:

Mantis42 posted:

I initially conceived the dog as the automatic security system of the warehouse [snip]

What if that's what it was? Seriously. Instead of an army deploying these things, it's 'just' a huge-rear end company or three deciding to take these measures to protect their goods. The trackers are so they can retrieve their stock, and the immediate killing of the 'thieves' is part of this ever increasing acceptance of the prioritisation of things over people.

You know how in Morrowind if you stole something from a shopkeeper you could never sell any version of that object to them because their dumb AI was unable to make the distinction between different instances of the same thing?

How much poo poo does Amazon sell right now?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Callister
We learn in Black Museum that these consciousnesses have rights. Him torturing sentient people in a simulation would be illegal. I don't know when those timelines all match up, but they are close enough that it's either illegal or about to be illegal. Maybe those people start interacting with more players and it gets out that there are sentient AI living within Infinity. Then their story gets out. That could be the catalyst towards ensuring these consciousnesses have the rights they deserve.

Ah, okay. I didn't realize the world was connected - this is my first season of the show.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

My favorite detail of Arkangel was by the time she's a teenager the girl's room is covered in drawings with all the eyes blacked out. Typical helicopter parent, never hovering where the real danger signs are.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Thursday Next posted:

Ah, okay. I didn't realize the world was connected - this is my first season of the show.

It’s not really, people are taking a meta episode literally.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Callister

yeah, it was cool how they cleared up whether it was right or wrong with that quip

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fans posted:

It’s not really, people are taking a meta episode literally.

How else could it be viewed? There is the same brain interface tech in callister and black museum. With as much money as they spend on each episode, they could have easily come up with something different besides using the exact same device.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

WampaLord posted:

I thought it was pretty clever how the crew have their own Star Trek style adventure to escape, and him essentially becoming one of the classic "god like being villain" from many TOS episodes. Like, Cole's plans were something straight out of Star Trek, including how she explained them with metaphors

A mild annoyance doesn't justify torture. Nothing justifies torture. Do you have any sense of proportional response?

Yeah I'm re-watching the episode now and it's still just a rocking good time until the end. Nobody deserves the fate of eternity. And yeah I get that's what makes this a spooky scary Black Mirror episode. It's just really, really well done.

I do wish they'd had like one more editing pass on the script, though. A few lines of technobabble about his ability to get people's consciousness via their DNA would have been nice. Also maybe a line or two about why he doesn't just magic his way into their ship at the end. It's a sci-fi show, you can literally make poo poo up as you go as long as you stay consistent. Just a little disappointed they spent so much time building a really cool concept and then sort of tossed some of the ideas out when they became inconvenient.

Also Fat Damon is much hotter with glasses.

also also that guy defending torture as an "attitude adjustment" is really creepy

Like, yes, that receptionist is terrible. She should be fired. And that is the end of the "adjustment" needed. And as for Chewing Gum -- she wasn't a bitch, she was RIGHT about Daly. That's the point. The whole "give him a wide berth" comment is made just before Nanette gives him his coffee. If she had listened - if she had given him a wide berth - she would not have been dragged into the thing.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 1, 2018

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Black Museum Did I miss why Carrie had to stay in the Teddy bear? You'd think they could transfer her to a doll "capable of expressing at least 5 emotions" or maybe just upload her to a game like Infinity or San Junipero. Probably anything better than just sitting in a glass case in a dying museum

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I've seen people complain that Callister has too similar a setup to White Christmas, but that idea seems kind of facile? They have a sort of similar sci-fi 'gist' but the concept and it's consequences feels much better explored in Callister, since I think that White Christmas's vignette about the woman's cookie put in charge of the house after some torture was the main aspect that explored the possibility of abusing artificial consciousnesses as less than human but felt far, far too disconnected from the main plot of the rest of the episode and was dropped very quickly so I presume that the creators might have wanted to go back and give that specific aspect a lot more exploration. The rest of the episode is mostly trying to have one character extract a criminal confession from the other and the episode's main sci-fi 'hook' is divided between the cookie concept and the idea that someone can be removed from someone else's perception entirely. I think Callister is much more focused, to its benefit.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Away all Goats posted:

Black Museum Did I miss why Carrie had to stay in the Teddy bear? You'd think they could transfer her to a doll "capable of expressing at least 5 emotions" or maybe just upload her to a game like Infinity or San Junipero. Probably anything better than just sitting in a glass case in a dying museum

It was made illegal. So they couldn't do anything.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thursday Next posted:

It isn't really, although this season has a lot more cross-references between episodes than previous (before there were usually a couple of easter eggs in quick background shots, but nothing as blatant as the stuff in Black Museum).

McSpanky posted:

My favorite detail of Arkangel was by the time she's a teenager the girl's room is covered in drawings with all the eyes blacked out. Typical helicopter parent, never hovering where the real danger signs are.

Arkangel
Yeah I've been thinking about Arkangel a bit and I think I appreciate it more than the initial impression I was left with when I saw it. There's a lot of good stuff in there, like how despite the fact that the mother can literally see through the eyes of her daughter any time she wants, she knows shockingly little about her daughter's life. My first thought when Trick is showing her all the videos of horrible stuff when she gets the content filter turned off was "Her mom should REALLY do a better job of knowing who her daughter's friends are." There are a lot of signs in the episode about how much she actually fails as a parent, and how most of the episode's issues stem from that rather than the Arkangel technology itself. The biggest problem with the Arkangel system wasn't the effect on the daughter, but the effect on the mother - it gave her a false sense of security so that she never really bothered to teach her daughter about the dangers of the world because she can always just check up on her to see if she's safe.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Cojawfee posted:

How else could it be viewed? There is the same brain interface tech in callister and black museum. With as much money as they spend on each episode, they could have easily come up with something different besides using the exact same device.

The episode is about Black Mirror the actual show, which is why it’s called the Black Museum and has all the previous episodes of the show in it. It is a metaphor.

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Away all Goats posted:

Hubby was sick of her and wanted to move on with his life, and the new girlfriend obviously hated her. The kid was just indifferent, because he was probably too young to understand the gravity of the situation and they showed him getting bored and moving on. The guy who owned the museum made it pretty clear he didn't care about torturing AI, so why give up an exhibit to make her comfortable

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fans posted:

The episode is about Black Mirror the actual show, which is why it’s called the Black Museum and has all the previous episodes it. It is a metaphor.

Actually, Black Museum is a British term for a crime museum. :eng101:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Museum

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Actually, Black Museum is a British term for a crime museum. :eng101:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Museum

This is accurate, but FYI beginning a sentence with "Actually" makes you sound like an MRA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
USS Fatt Damon

I really, REALLY think they should have just had him use his CTO level access to make a scan/copy of his victims brain/avatar/RSI while they're logged into infinity. It would explain the memories being there too, if its a copy from their most recent log-in. They set him up as a genius coder who knows the tech better than anyone, so it would be less of a stretch to me than him having a DNA coding machine that somehow copies your memories.