Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Man, I remember when FFVII was like a religious experience to me and my friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Man, I remember when FFVII was like a religious experience to me and my friends

and then FFVIII actually tried to be a religious experience

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Halo was okay, but for the life of me I’ll never understand how the hell that franchise continued. Writing aside, gameplay was universally garbage, the same boring, repetitive, shallow nonsense through every iteration I tried, yet somehow they cranked out like 19 of the drat things.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

It was a pre-sign of our times in that it (FF7) was something that was really good, and was completely ruined by its fan base.

See Also:

Bacon
Zombies
Christmas
Rick and Morty

Edit:
Star Wars

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 31, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Alaois posted:

and then FFVIII actually tried to be a religious experience

I replayed FFVIII last year to see if it was as terrible as I remembered

it was

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Thaddius the Large posted:

Halo was okay, but for the life of me I’ll never understand how the hell that franchise continued. Writing aside, gameplay was universally garbage, the same boring, repetitive, shallow nonsense through every iteration I tried, yet somehow they cranked out like 19 of the drat things.

IGN had the best review of Halo 1 that I thought was always the best defense of the series

"It does absolutely nothing original, but it is the best at doing it"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FF6 was the religious experience, FF7 was a disappointment after the awesome intro video.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I first played FFVI in the 4th grade. I made it to the part where you get the submarine saw emerald weapon and got so scared I didn't play again until 6th grade. This is my FFVII story.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I replayed FFVIII last year to see if it was as terrible as I remembered

it was

If you haven't check out Cool Ghosts LP of FFVIII. It does a good job of showing the game for all of its faults and the surprising amount of good in the game.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i have never played a Final Fantasy game to completion

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kalli posted:

FF6 was the religious experience, FF7 was a disappointment after the awesome intro video.

FF6 is that movie your parents loved when you were a kid and never really got and then got older and realized it was brilliant

FF7 was Star Wars. Great when you are a kid, still kind of fun, but the fans are terrifying

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Is 6 3 in American-speak? If so I do kinda want to go back in time and play the opera bit for the first time.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

OxySnake posted:

If you haven't check out Cool Ghosts LP of FFVIII. It does a good job of showing the game for all of its faults and the surprising amount of good in the game.

there is literally 1 good about the game

how easy it was to break

the characters, the plot, and most importantly, the central love story is absolute trash

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Alaois posted:

You’re not missing much, most of them kind of peter out about 70-90% of the way through, the final boss rarely feels like an actual climax to the game.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

there is literally 1 good about the game

how easy it was to break

the characters, the plot, and most importantly, the central love story is absolute trash

No doubt a large part of it is trash, but it does have depth to it in a number of ways. It was just put together so you had to dig really deep to find any of it and most of 1/2 way through the 3rd disk and 4th disc is just off the rails crazy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Alaois posted:

Final Fantasy edging

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
She goes into a coma and all of the sudden he's madly in love with her. I found that to be very accurate commentary on the high school experience.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

OxySnake posted:

No doubt a large part of it is trash, but it does have depth to it in a number of ways. It was just put together so you had to dig really deep to find any of it and most of 1/2 way through the 3rd disk and 4th disc is just off the rails crazy.

you mean when an apocalyptic hell of moon monsters conquers the earth and then they kind of forget about it and its never resolved

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

FF6 is that movie your parents loved when you were a kid and never really got and then got older and realized it was brilliant

FF7 was Star Wars. Great when you are a kid, still kind of fun, but the fans are terrifying

Whoah. QFT

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

you mean when an apocalyptic hell of moon monsters conquers the earth and then they kind of forget about it and its never resolved

Show me the lie.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I really enjoyed FFVIII up to the battle with Galbadia Garden, that whole sequence was super fun for me, and at the time the cinematics and whatnot blew my mind. Then came the rest of the game

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Yeah, I've never played any FF games either. My brother used to play them so I've seen the stories and gameplay but it never resonated with me.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Is 6 3 in American-speak? If so I do kinda want to go back in time and play the opera bit for the first time.

Yeah, man that whole game was so amazing.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah I was 13 when 6 came out, it was so perfect. I want to throw every ps1 era 3d game into the trashbin of history

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I also replayed FFXII recently when it was re-released and goddamn if it is not the most boring game in the series

like, its not bad, its just so loving dull

Every other FF game has you fighting god to save the earth and FFXII is like "Perhaps we can hold court with the duke to formulate a new treaty"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
yo if its the final fantasy why are there so many of em

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kalli posted:

Yeah, man that whole game was so amazing.

Yeah I was 13 when 6 came out, it was so perfect. I want to throw every ps1 era 3d game into the trashbin of history

In FFXV the FF6 cd is in the last town you visit chronologically and I am convinced its because they knew everyone would want that one the most

I played half of FFXV just listening to the FF6 soundtrack in that space car

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Hilariously bad estimation of the market

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I also replayed FFXII recently when it was re-released and goddamn if it is not the most boring game in the series

like, its not bad, its just so loving dull

Every other FF game has you fighting god to save the earth and FFXII is like "Perhaps we can hold court with the duke to formulate a new treaty"

I liked the idea of the story being more court intrigue type stuff, but yeah, they didn't do enough with it. That was better then the rear end awful combat though.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Spoeank posted:

The company was failing and they basically had enough money to make one last game back in the NES days so they named it that. Turned out to be a smash hit and here we are.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kalli posted:

I liked the idea of the story being more court intrigue type stuff, but yeah, they didn't do enough with it. That was better then the rear end awful combat though.

Like, you could feel they were trying for a Game of Thrones feel but you need good characters for that to work

Everyone in 12 is just cardboard

Spoeank posted:

One of my favorite things is that when the creator of Final Fantasy left, his first new game he made was called "The Last Story"

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I am the FFIX standard-bearer and will remain so for all time

It's so good

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Blitz7x posted:

It's so good

FF9 is great. Especially when you sneak out of whatever that giant city is and fight desperate battles against enemies that are two discs ahead of you to gain 4 levels at a time with whomever survives

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

It's so good

FFIX suffered from some bad character designs and a really lackluster final boss, but its still real good

Speaking of trash JRPG plots, holy gently caress Xenoblade 2 has a terrible story. The game is great, but goddamn someone put a bullet in whoever wrote it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

actually it's called Final Fantasy because Sakaguchi liked the sound of the acronym "FF" and the original name, Fighting Fantasy, had legal issues so they changed it to Final Fantasy :eng101:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FF9 would've been great if it was a ps2 game.

The horrific load times and hideous graphics really killed that game, from what should be one of my favorites

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Xenoblade 2 has a waifu who is so waifu that 10 hours into the game she can transform into a magical tsundere who secretly lives inside her

Kalli posted:

FF9 would've been great if it was a ps2 game.

The horrific load times and hideous graphics really killed that game, from what should be one of my favorites

try the PS4 or PC version

the pixelated polygons are smoothed out and the loads are quick

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Xenoblade 2 has a waifu who is so waifu that 10 hours into the game she can transform into a magical tsundere who secretly lives inside her

try the PS4 or PC version

the pixelated polygons are smoothed out and the loads are quick

I probably will at some point. I also should play that 12 remake (hooray fast forward) and 15 which I've seen like 6 hour s of while watching a friend cream herself over the boy love

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Alaois posted:

actually it's called Final Fantasy because Sakaguchi liked the sound of the acronym "FF" and the original name, Fighting Fantasy, had legal issues so they changed it to Final Fantasy :eng101:

Lol frequent fantasy

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

speaking of Final Fantasy and Sakaguchi, Lost Odyssey is pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Alaois posted:

speaking of Final Fantasy and Sakaguchi, Lost Odyssey is pretty cool

I got it when it was free and need to play more than like five hours in

• Locked thread