Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Blitz7x posted:

I am the FFIX standard-bearer and will remain so for all time

It's so good

High five, totally agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I'm glad to see a bunch of goons acknowledging FFIX, because in Gamefaqs forums that was a very hot take

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Blitz7x posted:

I'm glad to see a bunch of goons acknowledging FFIX, because in Gamefaqs forums that was a very hot take

gamefaqs forum makes youtube comments look like Plato's symposium

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

FFIX was fun but :meh:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh! Speaking of JRPG's and series that died an ignoble death.

Suikoden. 1, 3 and 5 were all good, 2 was amazing, and 4 was trash.

Man was that a great overarching storyline that just got murdered in the most depressing way

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Kalli posted:

Suikoden.

Man was that a great overarching storyline that just got murdered in the most depressing way

Suikoden 3 had the weirdest ending

"We all allied to face a universal existential threat and put aside our differences and embraced brotherhood. Ok, now that the threat is over we are all gonna just go back to wars with each other"

Suikoden 2 is weird because the sad ending is actually way more satisfying than the happy one

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have also never played a final fantasy, and never will

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I first played FFVI in the 4th grade. I made it to the part where you get the submarine saw emerald weapon and got so scared I didn't play again until 6th grade. This is my FFVII story.

The one time I played FF7 my friend spent at least half an hour trying to capture a Chocobo so he could get through some swamp on the world map, a snake was flying over the area and you'd get into an (at the time) unwinnable fight if it touched you. He kept trying and failing to cross it on foot and was convinced that you couldn't get through without a Chocobo and then I said "let me try" and got past it on foot in one attempt. That's all I remember about that game.

Thaddius the Large posted:

You’re not missing much, most of them kind of peter out about 70-90% of the way through, the final boss rarely feels like an actual climax to the game.

The final boss of 6 isn't super-tough but that whole sequence, and then the ending cutscene, is loving incredible. Maybe my favorite sequence in any video game ever.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One of my favorite things is that when the creator of Final Fantasy left, his first new game he made was called "The Last Story"

I have a copy of this and still need to play it. I broke the factory sealing just to look at the disc and thumb through the manual so I might as well play it since I can't resell it!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I have also never played a final fantasy, and never will

play XII, it has a lot of people sitting around talking too much

you would love it

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Suikoden. 1, 3 and 5 were all good, 2 was amazing, and 4 was trash.

I never finished Suikoden 2 and it's the only game that's made me consider finding a rom or iso or whatever and installing an emulator to play.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Also Sephiroth is a basic bitch compared to the villain from Suikoden 2

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FF XII is great because Jun Marketing was like "make some teenagers the main characters of this game for demographics" and the writers were like "pffft fine but after the first hour of the game they're just gonna sit on the sidelines looking like lost dogs while the actual characters talk about the important stuff"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Alaois posted:

FF XII is great because Jun Marketing was like "make some teenagers the main characters of this game for demographics" and the writers were like "pffft fine but after the first hour of the game they're just gonna sit on the sidelines looking like lost dogs while the actual characters talk about the important stuff"

Yeah, XII is Star Wars if the main character was C-3PO

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Doesn't FFXII have judges like FF Tactics? Or am I thinking of something else

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Alaois posted:

It was a great followup to 10 where the main character narrates a lot, but has obvious brain damage

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

XII and the Tactics games are set in the same world, yes

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Blitz7x posted:

Yeah, it's set in the same world as FF tactics, but has next to no overlap, it's depressing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wasn't there a FF XII re-master on the way, or did that already come out?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kalli posted:

It was a great followup to 10 where the main character narrates a lot, but has obvious brain damage

X is weird because it has the best story but the worst characters to experience it

"Its a morose journey of death where people will sacrifice themselves just to give a hopeless world an indeterminate amount of time where there will not be untold suffering, all under the eyes of a church subservient to an all-mighty god who keeps the world in this state to protect his imaginary paradise"

"LETS PLAY BLITZBALL BRUTHA"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and then there's the FFXIII trilogy which isn't a video game series, it's videographic evidence of a man slowly going insane from dehydration because he won't stop masturbating long enough to take a drink of water

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
gently caress all of Final Fantasy XIII, that was my first exposure to that franchise and nearly turned me off of anything even tangentially related to it for awhile.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

C-Euro posted:

Wasn't there a FF XII re-master on the way, or did that already come out?

Yeah, you can probably get it for ~$20-25 right now at a bunch of places.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

X is weird because it has the best story but the worst characters to experience it

"Its a morose journey of death where people will sacrifice themselves just to give a hopeless world an indeterminate amount of time where there will not be untold suffering, all under the eyes of a church subservient to an all-mighty god who keeps the world in this state to protect his imaginary paradise"

"LETS PLAY BLITZBALL BRUTHA"

Yeah, I played through it a few years ago when the remaster came out and the main character's narration was very obviously the confused ramblings of a mentally challenged child.

Alaois posted:

and then there's the FFXIII trilogy which isn't a video game series, it's videographic evidence of a man slowly going insane from dehydration because he won't stop masturbating long enough to take a drink of water

The story arc and growth of the characters in 13 is fantastic. The game's story aside from that is so lovely and slapped together. 13-2 was... funny but so very flawed, with an absolutely hilarious ending.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

C-Euro posted:

The final boss of 6 isn't super-tough but that whole sequence, and then the ending cutscene, is loving incredible. Maybe my favorite sequence in any video game ever.

Yeah, it’s the one exception I could think of, maybe debatably 10 as well, otherwise every one I can remember off the top of my head (7, 8, 9, 10, 12) has a really disappointing final area/boss.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I was in freshman year of college and I played FFXII for about two days straight when my roommate walked out all dressed and said "come on dude, Sarah is putting her tits in a jar of peanut butter to make an mold at the SAE house" and I put down the controller and gaming in general until I graduated

Thanks FFXII

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It took a lot of work to make a portrayal of a black person less sensitive than Barrett, but goddamn if a dude keeping a literal bird in his afro didn't make a strong play

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It took a lot of work to make a portrayal of a black person less sensitive than Barrett, but goddamn if a dude keeping a literal bird in his afro didn't make a strong play

Also they wanted to name him "Sax" but someone at least slapped them and made them change it to "Sazh".

Also, no, Barrett is one of the more racist depictions of a character in both original creation and translation into English.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 31, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kalli posted:

Also they wanted to name him "Sax" but someone at least slapped them and made them change it to "Sazh".

Also, no, Barrett is one of the more racist depictions of a character in both original creation and translation into English.

never heard of japanese barrett, how bad was he?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

never heard of japanese barrett, how bad was he?

I mean, it's just the same typical japanese depiction of black people.

You know, like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yYQrisUdus&t=85s

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kalli posted:

I mean, it's just the same typical japanese depiction of black people.

You know, like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yYQrisUdus&t=85s

That like a 0.8 on the Bob Sapp scale

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Anyway, happy new years guys. Gonna go help my cousin walk around handing out costco hors d'oeuvres to a few dozen of my aunt' waspy friends until 9pm then go to a goth dance party and then die somewhere between Boston and my house at 2 AM.

If I die please delete my browser history, thank you.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 31, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I picked up the FFXII remaster. It's good, it added a fast forward mode for easy leveling and running through town. Plus it has the Zodiac job system which is cool.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

seiferguy posted:

I picked up the FFXII remaster. It's good, it added a fast forward mode for easy leveling and running through town. Plus it has the Zodiac job system which is cool.

I vaguely recall that magic was virtually useless until you unlocked a few of the limit break squares or whatever, as that doubled/tripled your MP and made it viable, is that still the case?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

All I remember about 12 is for a hot minute getting really into the card system for AI and thinking about all the ways you could tailor it to each area and mob you were fighting.

Then I figured out just set up healing first, then buff / debuff and finally damage and you are correct 90% of the time.

Also I got to the end and was surprised because of how much of a wet fart it was.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

San Francisco tomorrow

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I'm going to spend my NYE playing the new Zelda and eating Char Siu Bao and it'll be glorious.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I don't like going out for New Years Eve because of all the drunk people, so I am gonna cook a steak and have some beers.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

swickles posted:

I don't like going out for New Years Eve because of all the drunk people, so I am gonna cook a steak and have some beers.

NYE, Halloween, and at Patrick’s day are the worst nights of the year to go out

Christmas Eve and thanksgiving day are the best.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Thaddius the Large posted:

I vaguely recall that magic was virtually useless until you unlocked a few of the limit break squares or whatever, as that doubled/tripled your MP and made it viable, is that still the case?

I just started playing, but I know all jobs are viable including the mage classes.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

4th of July is also pretty rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah skipping everything staying at family members

• Locked thread