Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Habibi posted:

How does Superman shave, anyway? Doesn't his hair resist cutting?

Yeah so he uses a hand mirror and heat vision to somehow shave it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Booooo, giving Habibi an honest answer to a dishonest question.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
That was 100% an honest question, believe it or not. I thought I'd seen the "bounce heat vision off a mirror" in some panel but couldn't recall if that was real.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Habibi posted:

That was 100% an honest question, believe it or not. I thought I'd seen the "bounce heat vision off a mirror" in some panel but couldn't recall if that was real.

https://i.imgur.com/KFT9a0Q.gifv

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Habibi posted:

*squints eyes*

Alright, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

*points fingers at my own eyes then at you*

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The way this gif loops makes it seem like he gets a 5 o'clock shadow immediately after shaving. :laugh:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Habibi posted:

Admittedly, I thought it was because he looked good in the suit, but now I am hearing it was related to his hyperemotive forehead and jaw muscles.

Why can't it be both? :shrug:
https://i.imgur.com/f41p7dk.gifv

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

GORDON posted:

I did not know that.

/Carvey doing Carson

Supposedly they knocked up some test footage of him with a CG mustache to show how well it would work and Paramount still told them no, presumably just to be difficult.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Well, why should another production company give in to another studio?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Because what goes around comes around.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Oh my.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

Supposedly they knocked up some test footage of him with a CG mustache to show how well it would work and Paramount still told them no, presumably just to be difficult.

Hair doesn't stop growing when you're dead, they should've just added a CG beard to him through the whole movie instead.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Did they offer to pay for the post production for that?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Yes, according to that effects artist that did an AMA on Reddit.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

ruddiger posted:

Hair doesn't stop growing when you're dead, they should've just added a CG beard to him through the whole movie instead.

I can't speak for Kryptonian biology, but humans appear to grow hair and nails after death because our skin shrinks. I am squarely pro-beard, pro-Death-of-Superman outfit though, so of course Kal's passive regeneration keeps his bristles going.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Davros1 posted:

As mentioned, yes they actually did. By all accounts, they tried to do a lot to convince Paramount to let them do it the other way around. But that whole thing is just a footnote in the debacle that is JUSTICE LEAGUE.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Still, you can't blame Paramount.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ruddiger posted:

https://www.snopes.com/science/nailgrow.asp

Snopes rates this as false. Either way the effects were terrible and this movie got messed with way too much to be good.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I was going to make a post about how compositing involves a shitload of blurs to patch over where parts made with different techniques fit together, but staring at this guy I'm becoming more and more convinced that they've replaced him with a full CG face model, Tarkin-style.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

DrVenkman posted:

Why should Paramount do extra work for Warner Brother's bad planning?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

kilus aof posted:

Because WB was going to pay for it

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

kilus aof posted:

I mean, they wouldn't be? WB were going to pay for and do the work.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
There is the actual cost of CGI and so forward. But wouldn't having them having to unnecessarily CGI an actor's face mean things like viewing dailies and editing get affected which potentially causes delays and reshoots?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Given the result, I don't think there's too deep a mystery as to why Paramount were unwilling to be the ones left holding the CG-face bag.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

josh04 posted:

Given the result, I don't think there's too deep a mystery as to why Paramount were unwilling to be the ones left holding the CG-face bag.
Well, in theory the only reason that result in question looked so bad is because they were removing an extant mustache. In theory, adding a computer mustache onto a mustacheless face would look a lot better.

I mean, I would've played nice if I were Paramount because being owed a favor seems like smart practice in this sort of business, right? But I can also see why they ultimately said no. It's their movie that's being messed with; no matter how good the WB promises to make it look in theory, you're still handing over your own work to some other studio to mess with and you can't just make that kind of decision lightly. On top of just offering to cover the cost of the CGI work, WB probably also should have offered an outright hefty payment for being allowed to basically interfere with Paramount's production at all.

...what I don't understand, though, is why "putting in a CGI mustache" was even the go-to option, here. Why didn't they just offer to pay for practical prosthetics, which are mega easy to do? "Ten more minutes in the makeup chair" was to steep a hill to climb, here?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I don't think "gently caress off" is that unreasonable an answer when someone is trying to get you to give one of the characters in your summer tentpole blockbuster characters a fake moustache entirely because of their incompetence.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Not to mention big studios like WB love loving over other studios, like buying scripts out from under them, or poaching their talent, or just absorbing the other studio and then handing out massive layoffs.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I don't think "gently caress off" is that unreasonable an answer when someone is trying to get you to give one of the characters in your summer tentpole blockbuster characters a fake moustache entirely because of their incompetence.

It is in fact the correct answer.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
JL was down to $1.25M this weekend so probably nearing its box office run, finishing around $225M domestic. That's not good.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, I would've played nice if I were Paramount because being owed a favor seems like smart practice in this sort of business, right?

This is adorable.

For a somewhat better glimpse into the soul of corporate America, I would recommend a double feature of There Will Be Blood (2007) and Swimming With Sharks (1994).

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 31, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It is hilarious that WB was so blinded by dumb desperation that they were willing to spend a bunch of money on another company's film to reshoot large swaths of their movie, then when that wasn't an option they instead decided to CGI their lead actors entire face. So good on Paramount for further loving up their already dumb plan to overhaul an entire tentpole movie in a few months.

Like, even if you loathe MoS/BvS, you can't think it would have been a better option to reshoot multiple scenes with one of the actors wearing a CGI mask of their own face

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So when they resurrect superman and he had a full suit on in the water, why did he become shirtless and without shoes when he was resurrected?

Also I thought Man of Steel was a great movie, I have no idea how these series of movies got so much worse as time went on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sleep with the vicious posted:

JL was down to $1.25M this weekend so probably nearing its box office run, finishing around $225M domestic. That's not good.

That is good. I'm glad their Pet Sematary faux-Marvel movie failed.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That is good. I'm glad their Pet Sematary faux-Marvel movie failed.

And hopefully they'll have learned the right lesson from it: that Jewish superheroes are box office poison

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mechafunkzilla posted:

And hopefully they'll have learned the right lesson from it: that Jewish superheroes are box office poison

No!!!

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Welp, there goes any hope of an Atom Smasher movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

It is hilarious that WB was so blinded by dumb desperation that they were willing to spend a bunch of money on another company's film to reshoot large swaths of their movie, then when that wasn't an option they instead decided to CGI their lead actors entire face. So good on Paramount for further loving up their already dumb plan to overhaul an entire tentpole movie in a few months.

Like, even if you loathe MoS/BvS, you can't think it would have been a better option to reshoot multiple scenes with one of the actors wearing a CGI mask of their own face

It's impressive that WB hit the point where they asked another company to CG a fake mustache, got told no, and didn't back off and reconsider the plan that led them to something so ridiculous. That should be hitting rock bottom.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They really wanted the world to see this movie. I still want to know why during the resurrection superman blows off most of his clothes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tenzarin posted:

They really wanted the world to see this movie. I still want to know why during the resurrection superman blows off most of his clothes.

He's hulking out :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They should have had his pants blow off too and he is wearing red briefs underneath.