Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RevolverDivider posted:

Can't decide between Ys VII or 3rd with my steam gift card. I just played the Oath era games back to back and loved them, but I'm wary of how different VII looks. I like the Sky games, but they feel a lot weaker to me then the Cold Steel games even though I played Sky first. I burned out bad on FC though I liked SC. Interest in 3rd mainly comes from me liking Kevin far more then Joshua or Estelle.

Sky the 3rd is all about Kevin and it opens up with him on a James Bond espionage mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It was a really late entry for me but Lacrimosa of Dana is a contender for my GOTY 2017, even with the localization problems. At least top 3. That might change when I actually beat it but it is ROCKING so far.

I'm currently in the capital city ruins and I just met Thanatos.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

RevolverDivider posted:

I like the Sky games, but they feel a lot weaker to me then the Cold Steel games even though I played Sky first.

Interest in 3rd mainly comes from me liking Kevin far more then Joshua or Estelle.

:stare: These...these are certainly opinions.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

SettingSun posted:

It was a really late entry for me but Lacrimosa of Dana is a contender for my GOTY 2017, even with the localization problems. At least top 3. That might change when I actually beat it but it is ROCKING so far.

The back half of the game is when it really goes full gibberish but even with that in mind it's a great game.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Some Numbers posted:

:stare: These...these are certainly opinions.

I vastly prefer Cold Steel's cast and setting. I don't care for Liberl at all while I find Erebonia super interesting.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think both series honestly develop in different but ultimately satisfying directions, with their own strengths/weaknesses, just fine. Estelle is a whirlwind of a character whose gravitas is able to drive nearly the entire narrative just fine and who by proxy makes those around her better (Joshua especially). Cold Steel has more variety and while no one character is as strong as Estelle (and Kevin if I'm honest), the overall makeup of that cast is stronger than the overall cast of Sky. To put it another way, I a was more invested in the singular story of Estelle/Joshua/Kevin than any one story in Cold Steel, but I think the world developed in Erebonia is a lot more interesting than the one in Liberl.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I like Rean more then Estelle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think Estelle is a fun character but I think Cold Steel makes better use of its protagonist. A lot of this is probably the localization/dub but Rean is a fairly likable character and also actually gets to do stuff without spending one and a half games being called a moron, and he has motivations outside of two or three specific characters. Again, I like Estelle, but Rean makes a better protagonist, especially for a game with a complicated setting filled with politics.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SettingSun posted:

Despite the localization problems (lategame spoiler Notionssssss), it was my GOTY 2017. It's just...so good.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i like the mc of tokyo xanadu because the longest speech he gives is "lets go kill this thing"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endorph posted:

I think Estelle is a fun character but I think Cold Steel makes better use of its protagonist. A lot of this is probably the localization/dub but Rean is a fairly likable character and also actually gets to do stuff without spending one and a half games being called a moron, and he has motivations outside of two or three specific characters. Again, I like Estelle, but Rean makes a better protagonist, especially for a game with a complicated setting filled with politics.

Really I think Rean is the blandest most JRPG character ever.

Though I find all of Cold Steels characters kind of boring.

It does have interesting ideas but doesn't really do anything with them.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 1, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I definitely like Rean and I love Sean Chiplock's performance, but he's way way flatter than Estelle.

He is better in combat though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iunno I find Estelle pretty flat too, at least in Sky 1 where every conversation goes

Estelle: *completely reasonable question*
Joshua/Agate/Scherazade: shut the gently caress up. how could you even ask that. you poser. you faker. you liar. you loser

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

estelle: "calvard, where's that"
schera: "we're literally neighbors"

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

You're vastly over exaggerating what are meant to be goofy country bumpkin scenes, and even those are pretty few and far between. Its like 10% that and 90% pretty good writing about a person finding their place in the world and stepping out of the shadows of the people around her to become her own world wise awesome person who vastly concerns herself with helping her friends and family alleviate themselves of the hosed up survivors guilt that comes from being a part of an insane war where some hosed up atrocities took place. Her entire arc resonates with the thematic and emotional throughlines of the trilogy.

She's good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

this is all just another reason to get Trails in the Sky the 3rd, because Kevin and Ries are the best team and most of the other party dynamics are at their strongest too

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terper posted:

As it is now 2018 where I am, I'd like to take this opportunity to say that the 3rd tits was my personal game of the yay 2017, thank you and good night B and S.

can i still say Ao if im technically only in the final dungeon and won't beat it until tomorrow because im a dumb idiot stupid enough to get invited to a new years party

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

can i still say Ao if im technically only in the final dungeon and won't beat it until tomorrow because im a dumb idiot stupid enough to get invited to a new years party

:stare: Don't kill yourself just to play another Kiseki game Cake Attack.

gently caress me I want to play the Crossbell games

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm very sad to see Cake Attack evolve from C level annoying normal English Trails fan to SSS level annoying "I learned Japanese to play these games ENGLISH ONLY PLAYERS LEAVE REEEEEEEEE" fan.

Some Numbers posted:

:stare: Don't kill yourself just to play another Kiseki game Cake Attack.

gently caress me I want to play the Crossbell games

the good Zero patch is on track to release in mid to late 2018. Soon my friend.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 1, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

You're vastly over exaggerating what are meant to be goofy country bumpkin scenes, and even those are pretty few and far between. Its like 10% that and 90% pretty good writing about a person finding their place in the world and stepping out of the shadows of the people around her to become her own world wise awesome person who vastly concerns herself with helping her friends and family alleviate themselves of the hosed up survivors guilt that comes from being a part of an insane war where some hosed up atrocities took place. Her entire arc resonates with the thematic and emotional throughlines of the trilogy.

She's good.
idk i dislike -

Zaggitz posted:

I'm very sad to see Cake Attack evolve from C level annoying normal English Trails fan to SSS level annoying "I learned Japanese to play these games ENGLISH ONLY PLAYERS LEAVE REEEEEEEEE" fan.
what the gently caress are you talking about

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It's a goof yo, be happy you don't encounter those people when you go looking for trails stuff, because they exist by the insufferable assload. I obviously don't think Cake Attack is like them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ah.

Anyway I can get what they're going for with Estelle's stuff, but iunno, they kind of cross the line from everyone teasing her/wanting to guide her into being a more serious character and into everyone acting like she's going to get her head caught in a plastic bag if left to her own devices. Combine that with her, iunno, feeling kind of flat in regards to some characterization - certain relationships of hers never really develop - and me just flatout not caring about Joshua on any level and I don't like her as much as Rean, who has pretty strong relationships with most of his supporting cast and grows a lot as a character.

Again, I'm not saying I dislike Estelle, she's a good protagonist, I just don't like her as much as Rean.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
incidentally, i like kevin a lot cause he feels like joshua but he has more of a dynamic with the rest of the cast beyond being really gloomy and depressed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

incidentally, i like kevin a lot cause he feels like joshua but he has more of a dynamic with the rest of the cast beyond being really gloomy and depressed
and also only one girl wants to gently caress him instead of three

i realize that this is a funny thing to say when i like rean but at least i can get why Rean is actively appealing to a bunch of the girls in the game, idk why Joshua is.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Rean is definitely helped by CS being designed around actually having s link style bonding moments with your party members to get to know them better and flesh out ideas that are only touched on by following their interactions in the main plot. I think they have a similar system in Crossbell also for Lloyd and the SSS members.

I make no defense for Joshua. Dude's an aloof plot device who only ever really works when hes being called out for how much of a dweebus he is, or that chunk of 3rd where he knows Kevin is hiding some poo poo because he's acting like Joshua.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 1, 2018

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Personally I've never been able to connect with Kevin's character as much as I did with E & J but I couldn't really tell you why. Maybe it's the constant hitting on a 16 year old, i dunno.

Also, just finished Tokyo Xanadu Ex+, for what feels like the fifth time because man Falcom somehow made a game that wanted to end less than CSII. It probably didn't help that each ending didn't realy feel like it flowed naturally into the next, even though they were connected. The whole game kinda has a disjointed feel honestly, not helped by the slow and steady disintegration of the localization as you progressed further into the game.

Still, had a lot of fun with it.

The Doomhammer fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 1, 2018

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The after story is extremely egregious because it only exists to go HEY THERE'S GONNA BE A SEQUEL HERE FIGHT A BOSS BYE.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i like it when they do it because i know that if 12 year old me were playing these games i would've been extremely excited every time it happened

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

The after story is extremely egregious because it only exists to go HEY THERE'S GONNA BE A SEQUEL HERE FIGHT A BOSS BYE.

At least the after story's boss is actually plot relevant, unlike previous-true-ending's, and also not an obvious reskin of an earlier boss.

Also, pumpkin hair ornaments are a good take in silly anime idol hair decos.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
i want to gently caress joshua if only because he made the final dungeon of FC bearable

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The Sky games have an overall better story and better characters including a top tier MC and there are some weaknesses in the Cold Steel cast but Cold Steel's battle system and overall mechanics are vastly superior to Sky's so depending on what elements of a typical JRPG you enjoy the most it's not unreasonable to prefer the Cold Steel games.

Cold Steel 2 is certainly my favorite game in the series I've played so far mostly for the reasons I gave, despite its weaknesses in story.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Rean could work as a character if they actually developed him and his interactions with the cast were better. Plus his only real flaw being him being to nice in a typical JRPG way.

As it stands he could be a create a character stand in and nothing would be lost.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

He does develop, though, and his interactions with the cast are pretty good. Him and Alisa have a real heart to heart, I like how he and Angelica have sort of an older sibling/younger brother thing going on, him and Crow have a really sweet relationship. You really couldn't replace him with a silent create a character at all, too much of the plot is based around him and his growth.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

He does develop, though, and his interactions with the cast are pretty good. Him and Alisa have a real heart to heart, I like how he and Angelica have sort of an older sibling/younger brother thing going on, him and Crow have a really sweet relationship. You really couldn't replace him with a silent create a character at all, too much of the plot is based around him and his growth.

I just don't see it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Endorph posted:

I also really enjoy his co worker dynamic with Towa and can't wait to see them work together as teachers in 3.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

CS's dirty little secret is that all the silly complaints leveled at Rean that mostly aren't all that true apply perfectly to Towa instead.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
So CS1 6th floor abandoned schoolhouse. I haven't played the game in months. Is it normal for Laura to do like 5,000-7,500 physical damage while everyone else is doing like 1,000-2,000? I probably need to do a better job with my orbments or whatever but I don't remember much. Just trying to finish up CS PC at some point before CS2 PC comes out.

edit: I guess she has that first attack does 2x damage thing going on, on top of Laura just being great. That may explain it.

edit 2: Rean and Fie are doing that 1.5-2k damage. I think I just forgot what I'm supposed to do with Jusis and Alisa and didn't bring Emma who was setup to cast fire bolts forever. Oh well, boss died quickly anyway between jusis and elliot using earth/mirage on it and laura and rean just beating the crap out of it.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 1, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Laura is slow so her DPS is not as absurd as it seems. Also depends on who's doing the 1-2k damage. Like Rean and Fie can match damage over the span of a few rounds.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Estelle is good because when she has those “hurrr I’m a dumbass, how do gates work” moments, she genuinely grows and learns from them

By.... I want to the the beginning of FC’s last chapter, she’s a moderately respectable bracer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Super Jay Mann posted:

CS's dirty little secret is that all the silly complaints leveled at Rean that mostly aren't all that true apply perfectly to Towa instead.

This take is so hot my skin melted right off.