Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad my player of choice uses 00ff00 as the chroma key, it makes yospos bestpos

e: well that was the worst snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

astral posted:

On my end, I'm just waiting to find the most up to date version of the port's source (people seem to have local repositories with extra changes or something). After that I can get a pre-release version signed for the people already on 57+, then do some testing/set up some data migration for people with legacy SALR still on Firefox <57 for a full release.

It's the zip file the guy posted in the salr thread. He went and did everything before I ever had time to poke around so there's nothing in my repo.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

It's the zip file the guy posted in the salr thread. He went and did everything before I ever had time to poke around so there's nothing in my repo.

Gotcha. Then I should have some time tomorrow or, failing that, this weekend to get that initial non-importing pre-release version signed and posted for people already on 57 to test. :)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

astral posted:

Gotcha. Then I should have some time tomorrow or, failing that, this weekend to get that initial non-importing pre-release version signed and posted for people already on 57 to test. :)

Sweet. Like I said, I didn't want to submit it since I did 0 of the work but once there's an actual repo for the ff version I'll try to chip on for maintenance and tweaks and whatnot.

One thing I really want to do is add transparency to the ui elements that the add on adds, and make them solid on hover.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

Sweet. Like I said, I didn't want to submit it since I did 0 of the work but once there's an actual repo for the ff version I'll try to chip on for maintenance and tweaks and whatnot.

One thing I really want to do is add transparency to the ui elements that the add on adds, and make them solid on hover.

c+p from the SALR Chrome thread:

I've had a few spare minutes here and there tonight so I used them to get a small head start on things. Integrated the 100% compatible stuff from the posted zip with a few slight modifications into my fork repository so far. Need to work out a good way to support the manifest for cross-browser compatibility, since chrome will give a warning with the `applications` flag we will need for SALR for Firefox (because the extension uses certain APIs that require it) - haven't changed that part in the repository yet. Also need to integrate the other stuff from Serfer's zip (such as the change to the behavior of the down arrow in the page nav) as optional instead of replacing SALR Chrome's behavior wholesale, though, and I'll have to ask 'em about the (WIP?) changes to youtube URL matching. Initial testing seems pretty good, though.

Thanks to Serfer for getting things started!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Thanks to all of you for your hard work!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Gorilla Salad posted:

Thanks to all of you for your hard work!

Not empty-quoting :toot:

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I used to maintain a greasemonkey script called Something Awful Image Fixes, today I spent a couple of hours making a much simpler extension that does some of what that script did:

• Turn tiny images into normal images
  • Prevent images and videos from breaking out of the page (no more than 100% the available width, no more than 92% of the browser view height)
  • Reduce the page width and center align it

Obviously I just made this to satisfy my own needs, but if people like it I can add some extension preferences to turn off that last option.

Here's the github repository and a direct link to the extension package.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm pretty sure I used to use that! It was pretty decent as I recall.

By "tiny images" do you mean thumbnails, or the small images you can create by adding an "s" to the end of a filename on imgur?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm pretty sure I used to use that! It was pretty decent as I recall.

By "tiny images" do you mean thumbnails, or the small images you can create by adding an "s" to the end of a filename on imgur?

I mean the thumbnail thing, where you click to expand it. I always hated that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Same here. The thumbnails are always too drat small.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I never had a problem with the default forum tiny images, click on the image to get it expanded to your view window or click on the resolution descriptor specifically to expand it to full size ignoring your window size. :shrug:

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

isndl posted:

I never had a problem with the default forum tiny images, click on the image to get it expanded to your view window or click on the resolution descriptor specifically to expand it to full size ignoring your window size. :shrug:

Yes, but what good is a thumbnail in the first place when you can just display the image in the available space?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Well I went and did the work anyway, I implemented a preferences page for the extension that lets you turn on or off any of its features in realtime (you click, and the forums pages you have open change).

Here's the updated extension package.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I like the new Firefox.

I would like it more with SALR.

... that's all I have to say. :unsmith:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fuzz posted:

I like the new Firefox.

I would like it more with SALR.

... that's all I have to say. :unsmith:

Well, Santa came a little late this year.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/salr-redux/

Credit goes to the Chrome SALR team and Serfer for getting the port started.

Note that this is a super early version of the port back from Chrome SALR and :siren:it has bugs.:siren:

Also note that the default settings are currently set to those of SALR Redux rather than those that more closely mirror legacy SALR. This will be adjusted in a future release.

Many of the legacy Firefox SALR features are not available and, conversely, many features that were in SALR Redux but not the Firefox version are now available.

It will not automatically import your info from legacy SALR.

astral fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 31, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

astral posted:

Note that this is a super early version of the port back from Chrome SALR and :siren:it has bugs.:siren:

Many of the legacy Firefox SALR features are not available and, conversely, many features that were in SALR Redux but not the Firefox version are now available.

You're some sort of goddamn hero type person

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

You're some sort of goddamn hero type person

Nah, the real heroes are the devs of SALR Chrome, without which it would've been a huge pain to try to migrate the legacy extension instead.

And Serfer for getting the port started!

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

astral posted:

Nah, the real heroes are the devs of SALR Chrome, without which it would've been a huge pain to try to migrate the legacy extension instead.

And Serfer for getting the port started!

I'm curious, what are the major hurdles going from Chrome to Firefox? I'm already thinking about porting my nothing extension.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Measly Twerp posted:

I'm curious, what are the major hurdles going from Chrome to Firefox? I'm already thinking about porting my nothing extension.

Depending on the APIs you use, it can range from zero changes to a big hassle. Chrome SALR was on the low end of the scale for initial compatibility work, but there's a big job ahead to work around a very fundamental incompatibility in how Chrome and Firefox inject content scripts. On extension install/update, Chrome doesn't inject them in existing tabs. Firefox does, so if you have a content script that adds an element to the page, an extension update means you now have two of them.

e: Check out https://www.extensiontest.com/

astral fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 31, 2017

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

astral posted:

Depending on the APIs you use, it can range from zero changes to a big hassle. Chrome SALR was on the low end of the scale for initial compatibility work, but there's a big job ahead to work around a very fundamental incompatibility in how Chrome and Firefox inject content scripts. On extension install/update, Chrome doesn't inject them in existing tabs. Firefox does, so if you have a content script that adds an element to the page, an extension update means you now have two of them.

Yeah, I've noticed the two element thing. Honestly I thought the point of this extension API was to allow developers to put up and then tear down their modifications.

The way I've set up mine, I could do it, assuming I can trigger something in my content scripts when the extension is uninstalled. I've not even looked at that yet though, would sending a message work?

I think I need the reverse of this, a Firefox to Chrome test.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Measly Twerp posted:

Yeah, I've noticed the two element thing. Honestly I thought the point of this extension API was to allow developers to put up and then tear down their modifications.

The way I've set up mine, I could do it, assuming I can trigger something in my content scripts when the extension is uninstalled. I've not even looked at that yet though, would sending a message work?

As of shortly before 57's release, per one of the Firefox devs working on webextensions, there was no still sane way for a content script to detect or be notified that it should shut down. This was over a year after I (and presumably others) raised the issue.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

astral posted:

As of shortly before 57's release, per one of the Firefox devs working on webextensions, there was no still sane way for a content script to detect or be notified that it should shut down. This was over a year after I (and presumably others) raised the issue.

What about a background script? Or really anywhere that I can send a message to from the content script. All I really need is somewhere to stack my wind down functions, and the document they belong to.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Measly Twerp posted:

What about a background script? Or really anywhere that I can send a message to from the content script. All I really need is somewhere to stack my wind down functions, and the document they belong to.

I don't remember exactly it was explained to me, but it was something like the series of events on extension update/uninstall made it so the thing got disconnected before it could be told (by you) to shut down. And it couldn't detect that it was disconnected sanely.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

astral posted:

I don't remember exactly it was explained to me, but it was something like the series of events on extension update/uninstall made it so the thing got disconnected before it could be told (by you) to shut down. And it couldn't detect that it was disconnected sanely.

Ugh. An unfortunate place to have a race condition. Still, I'll probably take a peek tomorrow and get frustrated then give up.

Do you have a place (Discord, IRC, etc) where you talk about this poo poo? I'm pretty good and understanding systems and would be happy to let you chew my ear off about this kind of stuff.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Measly Twerp posted:

Ugh. An unfortunate place to have a race condition. Still, I'll probably take a peek tomorrow and get frustrated then give up.

Do you have a place (Discord, IRC, etc) where you talk about this poo poo? I'm pretty good and understanding systems and would be happy to let you chew my ear off about this kind of stuff.

The IRC channel for SALR is synirc channel #salr

Mozilla has their own IRC network as well; relevant channels there would be #extdev and #webextensions

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey longshot question here: is there any issues with FF causing an Nvidia driver kernal crash? I've been having an issue lately since I got a 1080ti and think it's hardware related BUT I just realized it only happens when I am in FF browsing. I can't try another browser for a while as I am not home for a bit but thought I'd ask. Only a couple plugins...uorigin and a streaming media saver.

I suspect it isn't...but I'd be darn curious to know if anyone has heard of such a thing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I had that happen when I played Shadow of War and replaced a damaged RAM stick.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well I turned off acceleration just to try. I haven't had it happen yet but if I can go all day tomorrow with it that will go a lot further to convince me. If it oes it will beg the question as to why.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

astral posted:

Credit goes to the Chrome SALR team and Serfer for getting the port started.

Also note that the default settings are currently set to those of SALR Redux rather than those that more closely mirror legacy SALR. This will be adjusted in a future release.

You beautiful SOB I love you.

e: are you going to make a new thread for the FF version again or no?

iospace fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 1, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

iospace posted:

You beautiful SOB I love you.

e: are you going to make a new thread for the FF version again or no?

Ideally we'll have a combined thread for both.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

slidebite posted:

Hey longshot question here: is there any issues with FF causing an Nvidia driver kernal crash? I've been having an issue lately since I got a 1080ti and think it's hardware related BUT I just realized it only happens when I am in FF browsing. I can't try another browser for a while as I am not home for a bit but thought I'd ask. Only a couple plugins...uorigin and a streaming media saver.

I suspect it isn't...but I'd be darn curious to know if anyone has heard of such a thing.
It might be a hardware thing that only Firefox is (currently) triggering. Hardware issues can be weird like that, where Firefox is making a function call in a way that nothing else is so it's hitting a bad spot in RAM or something. If Firefox had a problem with Nvidia cards it'd be a pretty big issue and you'd probably hear about it here. Disabling hardware acceleration is more of a workaround since you shouldn't need to on a modern mainstream chipset. Also the standard question, are you on the latest Nvidia drivers?

What kind of streaming media saver? Is it trying to do live video capture?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Measly Twerp posted:

Well I went and did the work anyway, I implemented a preferences page for the extension that lets you turn on or off any of its features in realtime (you click, and the forums pages you have open change).

Thanks for this!

Getting rid of the lovely tiny thumbnails alone makes it worth the download for me.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Measly Twerp posted:

Turns out getting rid of timg is a good thing, thanks.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Anyone else getting BOOGEYMAN playing on loop whenever they look at threads with the new extension? Fun bug.

Also if anyone is having trouble posting, hit Preview Reply, THEN post from there. You can't post directly using the Quick Reply thing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fuzz posted:

Anyone else getting BOOGEYMAN playing on loop whenever they look at threads with the new extension? Fun bug.

Also if anyone is having trouble posting, hit Preview Reply, THEN post from there. You can't post directly using the Quick Reply thing.

I've had no problems with doing the quick reply.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I'm documenting stuff I did to Firefox in case I ever have to start from scratch again, but maybe there's something here that anyone wants.

Redirector got updated for Quantum some weeks ago. This is one I'd thought I'd lose permanently. Uses wildcards or regex to redirect you automatically from eg. the mobile version of wikipedia to the desktop version or straight to the download page for Tindeck links or allows you to force website view options that can be set through adding stuff to the url.

Someone did the work on collecting and documenting context menu items you can hide with usercss.

I'm also using this Open Link with New Tab addon to just open all new links in new tabs, while waiting for Tab Mix Plus to come through on 57. It's very useful on touch devices, though much of a cannon to kill a mosquito.

In addition to that, there's this browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground;true setting that keeps focus on the current tab when a new tab is opened in that way. (browser.tabs.loadInBackground;true is the setting also accessible through preferences that you'd expect to take care of that, but doesn't in all situations)

The following combo of browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInTabs;true and browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground;true always sends bookmarks to a new tab and keeps focus on the current tab while doing that.
The combo of browser.search.openintab;true and browser.search.context.loadInBackground;true does the same thing for searches from the search bar, conditional to the search being completed by an enter (it doesn't work for searches from the awesome bar at all or from the search bar when clicking the arrow to go). e: Paste & go from the context menu also does work.

Link to a previous post with userchrome modifications to fix the "visit" and "search with" things on the awesome bar.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 1, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Could you check and let me know what your third party cookie settings in Firefox are?

And if it still happens if you disable quick reply in the Control options section.

These will help debug it; thanks.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Did you submit the jump list button add-on too? The temporary version doesn't want to talk to the submitted salr plug in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Fuzz posted:

I can! I can even quick edit! Serially!

I haven't seen live preview work, mind you - but then it didn't in Chrome.

Or text formatting chords, but that might be a Firefox-specific issue.

Or maybe live preview does work and either HTTPS Everywhere or uBlock Origin has decided to be not bros with it.

Yes I know about differential diagnostics, but take one look at the ad thread and then tell me with a straight face that you'd test it, even on a VM on a VPN with a parachute account.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 1, 2018