Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
New Year's Eve bonanza of good poo poo.

Superbunnyhop explores how MGS4, and by extension the entire MGS series afterwards, went entirely up its own rear end.

NCG explores the Call of Juarez series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SteelMentor posted:

how MGS4, and by extension the entire MGS series afterwards, went entirely up its own rear end

This take has been tempered in the searing everflames of the deepest pits of Hell.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

That must be why everyone's butts are so detailed!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

"The CODEC calls are just too self-serious"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Here's the only Best of the year awards worth watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBLxRZSGiWE

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FstNC8T4LjA

Sideways dives into the musical flexibility of Rey's theme in the new Star Wars films, and comes to the conclusion that John Williams is writing music flexible enough to fit any scene because Disney has no idea what they are doing with the new trilogy. He also goes into how he believes that Williams's music in the prequels is hamstrung by its reliance on audio callbacks to the OT.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
This new essay video on Jedi from McIntosh came out just a tiny bit too late I guess? At least I got that feeling in the last few minutes of the video where I thought he was going to mention how The Last Jedi tackles a lot of the things he points out but only mentions that he "Hopes" the new trilogy will take his thoughts into consideration. Like I know he says the video took three months to make, but that doesn't really change the fact there's already bunch of similar takes out there about the Jedi hosed their own order over. The biggest one being The Last Jedi itself, yeah?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FstNC8T4LjA

Sideways dives into the musical flexibility of Rey's theme in the new Star Wars films, and comes to the conclusion that John Williams is writing music flexible enough to fit any scene because Disney has no idea what they are doing with the new trilogy. He also goes into how he believes that Williams's music in the prequels is hamstrung by its reliance on audio callbacks to the OT.

He basically did for this one. Johnson had him write the Music first so he could edit the film to it rather than the other way around.

Remember that temp Music argument thing people brought up? Well now the actual film score can be the temp score.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

in a reversal of how these things usually go, this thread is how i discovered John Williams is still alive

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CelticPredator posted:

He basically did for this one. Johnson had him write the Music first so he could edit the film to it rather than the other way around.

Remember that temp Music argument thing people brought up? Well now the actual film score can be the temp score.

It's certainly a nice approach that I want to see developed further, but at the same time I was a bit let down by Williams's overuse of previous musical cues. There's even less "new" music in The Last Jedi than there was in Force Awakens. There are developments on the Force Awakens leitmotifs, but the only new bits I remember in TLJ were "The Rebellion Reborn" trumpets and the Fathier escape music.

The music fits the scenes they are in just fine due to the film being edited around the music, but it's not as memorable as WIlliams's best works.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 31, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well the man is at the tail end of his career and life so I can’t really be that hard on him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CelticPredator posted:

Well the man is at the tail end of his career and life so I can’t really be that hard on him.

That last soundtrack he did before TFA (which I really like don't get me wrong) that was up to his usual standards was Tintin.
EDIT: And War Horse. That music was brilliant.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 31, 2017

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Oi. Happy new year, ya bunch of cunts. Love you really.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Happy NY Kim, hope you enjoyed the fireworks. Ours across the pond in mainland europe where nice.
Looking forward to more quality content from you in 2018.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Allison is hosting a New Years stream; random chatting stuffs with her compatriots, and playing multi-player browser games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sxGrAQwu2o

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

None of you like them particularly but June and Greg are getting married and I'm very happy for them

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CelticPredator posted:

On the other hand, Suspiria did this and is amazing.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, but John Williams is no Goblin.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think it worked brilliantly in TLJ, so there isn’t any other hand for me. :shrug:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Sideways guy has some very strange hangups and digressions.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Jimbot posted:

JJ Abrams is writing and directing the next one, so whatever was interesting in Last Jedi will be ignored or brushed aside for more of the same. There's a chance with Chris Terrio but something tells me JJ Abrams has more clout with the decisions than he does.

The Force Awakens is a better movie than The Last Jedi so I'm OK with JJ directing.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

New Contrapoints! What's Wrong with Capitalism (Part 1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJW4-cOZt8A

Great as always. And Tabby really does make a whole lot more sense when you actually hang around people like her. Just throw a little bit of tankieisum in there and she would be a dead on impression of a "Bad Leftist"

It's interesting how the Tabby stuff keeps hitting this wall of "the liberal character's position of peaceful electoral resistance is admittedly failing but Tabby has trouble articulating her vision of revolution because leftist thought has been made peripheral and obscure in US discourse so it all ends in an impasse", and while obviously Contra isn't going to solve the left/liberal divide in this country singlehandedly, I hope she progresses this conflict beyond "guess we'll never see eye to eye" in future videos.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

None of you like them particularly but June and Greg are getting married and I'm very happy for them

They would be ok if each of them grew up into adults vs the eternal teenagers they are now—you know, learned how to take responsibility for the poo poo they say and respond constructively to criticism, and maybe maintain a grown-up relationship with at least one other adult.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I Before E posted:

It's interesting how the Tabby stuff keeps hitting this wall of "the liberal character's position of peaceful electoral resistance is admittedly failing but Tabby has trouble articulating her vision of revolution because leftist thought has been made peripheral and obscure in US discourse so it all ends in an impasse", and while obviously Contra isn't going to solve the left/liberal divide in this country singlehandedly, I hope she progresses this conflict beyond "guess we'll never see eye to eye" in future videos.

Given that the videos seem to be intended as illustration, I imagine she won't do that unless the real life conflict progresses.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

lornekates posted:

Yeah, but John Williams is no Goblin.

Can you imagine a Goblin-scored Star Wars movie?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Kim Justice posted:

Cool. I disagree with their politics and a bunch of their output, but its cool they can be happy together.

BigRed0427 posted:

New Contrapoints! What's Wrong with Capitalism (Part 1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJW4-cOZt8A

Great as always. And Tabby really does make a whole lot more sense when you actually hang around people like her. Just throw a little bit of tankieisum in there and she would be a dead on impression of a "Bad Leftist"

Tabby having no real answers except a couple of buzzwords and old re-gurgitated arguments is all kinds of funny.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Archer666 posted:

Tabby having no real answers except a couple of buzzwords and old re-gurgitated arguments is all kinds of funny.

Yeah it's pretty great how finally there's an internet reviewer out there with the guts to massively undercut a massive social and economic movement with a zany goofus and gallant caricature.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

business hammocks posted:

They would be ok if each of them grew up into adults vs the eternal teenagers they are now—you know, learned how to take responsibility for the poo poo they say and respond constructively to criticism, and maybe maintain a grown-up relationship with at least one other adult.

Happy new year to you too

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Who are June and Greg?

I liked the new Contrapoints video, and I’m glad it was mostly her talking to the camera rather than having the whole thing be a skit. I think she does a great job of discussing important issues but focusing too much on the funny characters obfuscates the point she’s trying to make. Tabby’s appearance in this one was, I believe, long enough to get the point across without overstaying its welcome.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I assume Armored Shitheel and shoeonhead or whatever.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

I assume Armored Shitheel and shoeonhead or whatever.

Those two apologist fuckwits? The ones more angry about so-called SJW's, then they are about actual neo-nazis?

Still waiting on Armored Skeptics amazing take on trump

Edit:

Not trying to start another argument, but im just tired of this "culture war" where people think there's the same level of equivolency between neo-nazis and sjws.

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 1, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah it's pretty great how finally there's an internet reviewer out there with the guts to massively undercut a massive social and economic movement with a zany goofus and gallant caricature.

hey man not like there's any leftist solutions to capitalism's runaway train crashing through our lives. Guess we're just stuck either actively supporting it while occasionally sighing and making a VERY stern face before deciding the train would be better if a PoC was guiding it to crush everyone or just screaming buzzwords impotently. I'm glad someone was brave enough to FINALLY say 'capitalism is bad, but there's literally no solution to it so *sad trombone.wav*'

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

hey man not like there's any leftist solutions to capitalism's runaway train crashing through our lives. Guess we're just stuck either actively supporting it while occasionally sighing and making a VERY stern face before deciding the train would be better if a PoC was guiding it to crush everyone or just screaming buzzwords impotently. I'm glad someone was brave enough to FINALLY say 'capitalism is bad, but there's literally no solution to it so *sad trombone.wav*'

Hey man, I've seen someone post things that character says and does online once, so that means all Leftists are like that don'tcha know?!

After the last video featuring that character, I decided to skip this one despite thinking capitalism is broken and bad. You don't bring caricature and strawmen to arguments unless you have nothing to say (or are on the Right or part of the skeptic community, who deal in nothing but that). I think Contra should strongly consider interacting with Leftists and debating them more often if that's her idea of what a Leftist is. Even then, those kinds of Leftists would still go to bat for your rights as a human when things got bad, which is more than you can say for a lot of liberals.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
one of these days Contra's gonna figure out while Tabby may be making some technically unsound arguments probably the majority of her fans think she has the more respectable worldview of the two and maybe then she'll stop making it all 'haha looks like EVERYONE has some growing up to do, huh?' jokes.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

I'm just glad we live in a dystopian hellscape where cities put literal spikes and bars on any flat surface longer than four feet because if the omnipotent corporate overlords see a poor person who can't afford a place to sleep in front of the place where they hawk goods produced by slave labor they might go away and take their large contributions to my campaign fund with them.

I mean, yeah, it's a shame that so much of the world's wealth is heavily concentrated in the hands of a few hundred people, but if reach our goals, we can add some diversity to the plutocratic overlords. And that's a cause worth fighting for.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

It's good to laugh at yourself

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Debating what is and isn't praxis has been part and parcel of marxism since day minus one, so, that's not really a problem in and of itself. The problem is that Contra's very slick irony undermines what aims to be a fairly earnest call to action. Tabby is a too well-realized vehicle to effectively communicate the fairly simple idea that, while jargon and namedrops are well and good, they're not political action in and of themselves.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I live somewhere where the ~*tankies*~ managed to revitalize an education system that was outright built to make people too dumb to oppose Salazar rule and a drug addiction treatment system that gets nearly yearly foreign articles envying for it as the most sensible one while the "sensible free thinking" papers and media constantly write on how we should have the US-system and how lovely kids are for looking for education and foreign policy feedback somewhere else that aren't their lovely papers instead of... literally praying to God to prevent climate change. Oh and writing pieces on how factory workers demanding compensation and actual living wages are an internet-brainwashed commie plot. Thus, I'm probably more receptive to those "tankies" people so dread about.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

You mean the guy who rants about how women are to blame for the gender pay gap and the lady who claims Black Lives Matter is a black-supremacist cult looking to start a race war? Gosh, I can’t imagine why people in this thread might have personal reasons for disliking them, particularly when several of them have been quite open about their experiences on the receiving end of bigotry.

Seriously, Kim, why do you even do this? ‘Hi, I’m here to remind you that there are people who hate you and literally base their careers around advocating for the rest of the world to treat you like poo poo’. Yes, thank you. We already loving know. Some of us just have to go out and buy some groceries to find that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i feel like i must have watched a completely different video

e: re: contra

• Locked thread