Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
I can hear a weather related political cartoon happening outside my house right now. It's the ice cream truck on New Year's Eve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Am I the only one kind of annoyed by cartoonists using #metoo on drawings of perpetrators when it's intent was to give victims a voice?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's wing nut welfare.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Turtlicious posted:

What's wing nut welfare.

Paul Krugman:

quote:

Wingnut welfare is an important, underrated feature of the modern U.S. political scene. I don’t know who came up with the term, but anyone who follows right-wing careers knows whereof I speak: the lavishly-funded ecosystem of billionaire-financed think tanks, media outlets, and so on provides a comfortable cushion for politicians and pundits who tell such people what they want to hear. Lose an election, make economic forecasts that turn out laughably wrong, whatever — no matter, there’s always a fallback job available.

Obviously this reality has important incentive effects. It encourages conservatives to espouse ever-cruder positions, because they don’t need to be taken seriously outside their closed universe.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Picnic Princess posted:

Am I the only one kind of annoyed by cartoonists using #metoo on drawings of perpetrators when it's intent was to give victims a voice?

No, I am also annoyed. While it's good to publicly shame the bad men it's not good to completely forget the women exist, except as props to the story about the men. Which is essentially what's happened. :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

What's wing nut welfare.

Losing an election/resigning in disgrace and then landing a cushy job "writing" books (which are then made bestsellers by a PAC/conservative group buying up a ton and then just giving them away) and or becoming a commentator for Fox News.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 7 years!)

Happy New Year! Enjoy the last word on politics you'll need in 2017: "Jillenstein!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Death Ray fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 31, 2017

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

What's wing nut welfare.

People who aren't good at anything being paid to write about how oppressed white people, cops, billionaires etc are. Rambling screeds written by dullards wouldn't do well in the free market so it's subsidised by rich racists and sociopaths who want to push their own version of history.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Death Ray posted:

Happy New Year! Enjoy the last word on politics you'll need in 2017: "Jillenstein!"

That essay is bad.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does the whole "last year as old man, new year as baby" thing exist outside of political cartoons?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
"Webster's defines Jill Stein as"

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Does the whole "last year as old man, new year as baby" thing exist outside of political cartoons?

Yes, in New Year's parades, and also having guild-like symbolic language is cool and good

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Death Ray posted:

This is the most embarrassing thing ever posted in this thread.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
:laffo: Who thinks about Jill Stein?

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

Shangri-Law School posted:

This is the most embarrassing thing ever posted in this thread.

By all means elaborate :)

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

Stultus Maximus posted:

That essay is bad.

A critique is always more welcome than a critic.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm surprised anybody has devoted even a single thought to Jill Stein since the election

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm surprised anybody has devoted even a single thought to Jill Stein since the election

She's under investigation by the senate intelligence committee for possible russian collusion stuff so she has been back in the news.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Death Ray posted:

A critique is always more welcome than a critic.

It started out bad by saying that anyone gives a poo poo about Jill Stein or blames her for anything other than embarrassing Facebook posts and veers right into loving awful when you try to discredit her critics by accusing them of "blood libel" against a Jew.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

Well, if Trump is going to keep questioning the election that he won...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's stupid because I haven't heard the party itself mention Stein since 2016. I know people blamed third party voters right after the election, but Sanders has gotten more flak in 2017 than her. She's a complete non-entity, which is why the essay is "bad", I guess. It's just nonsense, similar to writing an essay on Gary Johnson. Nobody has been talking about her so how is Stein so kind of democrat boogieman? I'd say Sanders (or Putin) fits that bill more.

This is not to say the Democrats don't have a laundry list of issues, from lacking strong leadership to having no cohesive message/agenda to give the country besides "Trump bad". Demonizing Stein is just...not one of them.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

To be thread-relevant, before this, has there been a single cartoon about Jill Stein? Where is this alleged liberal obsession with her?

We're not even getting into why the head of the GREEN Party is so chummy with an autocratic petrostate.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

Stultus Maximus posted:

It started out bad by saying that anyone gives a poo poo about Jill Stein or blames her for anything other than embarrassing Facebook posts and veers right into loving awful when you try to discredit her critics by accusing them of "blood libel" against a Jew.

Well... I give plenty of quoted examples of people who do care about her enough to hate her with disproportionate passion, including high level members of Clinton's campaign team. Clinton herself pointed a finger of blame at Stein in her book, and of course, there is the chaff recently thrown out by the Senate committee investigating the election. You can call Jill Stein inconsequential (in fact, I all but say it myself), but she sure does attract a lot of ire.

(Is Jill Stein Jewish? I never even considered that. The "blood libels" made against her are for being a leftist, not a Hebrew.)

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

To be thread-relevant, before this, has there been a single cartoon about Jill Stein? Where is this alleged liberal obsession with her?

We're not even getting into why the head of the GREEN Party is so chummy with an autocratic petrostate.

Dare I ask if you even read the editorial? Because I address all of those points.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Death Ray posted:

Well... I give plenty of quoted examples of people who do care about her enough to hate her with disproportionate passion, including high level members of Clinton's campaign team. Clinton herself pointed a finger of blame at Stein in her book, and of course, there is the chaff recently thrown out by the Senate committee investigating the election. You can call Jill Stein inconsequential (in fact, I all but say it myself), but she sure does attract a lot of ire.

(Is Jill Stein Jewish? I never even considered that. The "blood libels" made against her are for being a leftist, not a Hebrew.)

"blood libel" is specifically an antisemitic accusation.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

Stultus Maximus posted:

"blood libel" is specifically an antisemitic accusation.

Myes, but I would have used it regardless.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Death Ray posted:

Dare I ask if you even read the editorial? Because I address all of those points.

Oh my God it's your article you sad sack

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Death Ray posted:

I've heard a lot of people say how terrible you are but never really appreciated it until now, so thanks for that you loving idiot.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Oh boy, this idiot posted his own lovely editorial claiming it's the last word on politics of 2017? Have fun thread. :munch:

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

Unkempt posted:

I've heard a lot of people say how terrible you are but never really appreciated it until now, so thanks for that you loving idiot.

I know for a fact that you have not heard this, because if I were popular enough to have reached your ears more than once by word of mouth I would not be trawling for a few extra reads of an editorial I self-published on Medium :)

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

Quorum posted:

Hey hey... READ it first. Afterwards I'm sure you'll have a harsher opinion of me than "sad sack".
:agesilaus:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

The article.... is bad

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Death Ray posted:

I know for a fact that you have not heard this, because if I were popular enough to have reached your ears more than once by word of mouth I would not be trawling for a few extra reads of an editorial I self-published on Medium :)

Not literally 'heard', no. You got me.

Your opinions are, nevertheless, incredibly stupid.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

Unkempt posted:

Well, I don't think anyone has yet read past the first paragraph so this doesn't wound me overmuch. If you make it to the end I'll be happy to hear your criticisms. (But hey, how about that cartoon? I really think I nailed Jill's jawline!)

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Third Parties in America are nothing more than hybrid Vanity Project/Financial Fraud schemes that pop up once every four years pretending to campaign for President of the United States and then go back to never actually organizing a political party quietly until the next cycle.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Unkempt posted:

His cartoons are, however, pretty good.

So I'll just enjoy my Weapon Brown and ignore the essays until he realizes that

420 Gank Mid posted:

Third Parties in America are nothing more than hybrid Vanity Project/Financial Fraud schemes that pop up once every four years pretending to campaign for President of the United States and then go back to never actually organizing a political party quietly until the next cycle.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

His cartoons are, however, pretty good.

So I'll just enjoy my Weapon Brown and ignore the essays until he realizes that

Weapon Brown was indeed pretty entertaining, so in the festive new year spirit, do more stuff like that! It was good!

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Yes weapon brown was great. now hear me out, how about a version of pokemon where the POKEMON actually DIE and theres like WWII with pokemon and pokemon hitler and

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

420 Gank Mid posted:

Oh, and because Dan Savage's rant was mentioned, here is the best part of it:

quote:

If you're interested in building a third party, a viable third party, you don’t start with president. You don't start by running someone for loving president.

Where are the Green Party candidates for city councils? For county councils? For state legislatures? For state assessor? For state insurance commissioner? For governor? For loving dogcatcher? I would be SO willing to vote for Green Party candidates who are starting at the bottom, grassroots, bottom up, building a third party, a viable third party.

You don't do that by trotting out the reanimated corpse of Ralph loving Nader every four loving years. Or his doppelgänger, whoever it is now, Jill Stein and some rear end in a top hat-to-be-named four years from now. You start by running grassroots, local campaigns. And there've been — and I'm sure we're going hear from lots of people out there listening — there have been a couple of Green Party candidates who’ve run in other races here and there across the country. But no sustained effort to build a Green Party nationally. Just this griping, bullshitty, grandstanding, fault-finding, purity-testing, holier than thou-ing, that we are all subjected to every four loving years by the Green Party candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Quorum posted:

loving :laffo:

• Locked thread