Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I didn't gear at all for status effects vs kefka, just some mind to make sure stop wouldn't last long. Had Hope do almost all the dps with his bsb1 and then entrusted OSB blasts. Went pretty easy.

For mind boosting aphmau BSB has been amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Is it possible to beat Magicite with only BSBs, or do you need USBs and legend dives?

It depends on what BSB's you have and what they do. If it's enelement and you have good 5* hones, it's possible to do it with just abilities and use the bsb to up your dps. Abilities can make up for what you lack in soul breaks to some extent since they're basically better burst commands for the most part. You can sub 60 with some BSB's, but they do have to be on the higher end of the spectrum. Stuff that can chain instacast like Alphinaud and Cid Raines is generally pretty useful. BSB's that have buffs on entry or with commands are also pretty useful.

For legend dives if you have a good soul break for a healer, like yhstola BSB or vanille BSB, consider legend diving them for doublecast. It can allow you to bring one healer to most of the magicites and allow you to be a bit more flexible with your team composition. Generally you can't go wrong with doublecast dives regardless of whether they're a healer or not. You don't necessarily need a USB to consider diving someone.

Also you totally don't need any USB's to sub 60 most magicites, though they do help a lot. Sub 30 is a different story altogether, and you basically need some pretty specific OP relics to pull off most of them.

FruitPunchSamurai fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 31, 2017

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
So I guess I've reached the point where I want to nerd out about planning pulls. I've been told I should plan to cover as many elements as possible, and I've been pretty obscenely lucky with my pulls, so I have stuff for elements that aren't Ice, Earth, Holy or Dark. I've seen there's an FF5 fest in March that does Ice/Earth so I'll probably be pulling there. For dark/holy there's the festival banner 5 that does both, and the Orlandeou banner coming january. Which one of these is preferred for someone with nothing? I've also seen people talk about Onion Knight being insanely strong, and he's got a banner coming as well, so I'm conflicted, and I'm not sure how much mythril I'll get when the next 1/2 off realm dungeon season starts.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Elswyyr posted:

So I guess I've reached the point where I want to nerd out about planning pulls. I've been told I should plan to cover as many elements as possible, and I've been pretty obscenely lucky with my pulls, so I have stuff for elements that aren't Ice, Earth, Holy or Dark. I've seen there's an FF5 fest in March that does Ice/Earth so I'll probably be pulling there. For dark/holy there's the festival banner 5 that does both, and the Orlandeou banner coming january. Which one of these is preferred for someone with nothing? I've also seen people talk about Onion Knight being insanely strong, and he's got a banner coming as well, so I'm conflicted, and I'm not sure how much mythril I'll get when the next 1/2 off realm dungeon season starts.

fwiw, the magicite dungeon stuff that needs elemental teams is the current endgame, so if you're not near there yet(you're kinda vague about that) i wouldn't sweat too hard and instead focus on stuff that'll be more immediately useful to you

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

fwiw, the magicite dungeon stuff that needs elemental teams is the current endgame, so if you're not near there yet(you're kinda vague about that) i wouldn't sweat too hard and instead focus on stuff that'll be more immediately useful to you

Afaik, I have the very basics covered (healer medica USB and BSB, good character to do breaks, some good 6* weps), so that's why I wanted to plan longer term. I'm pretty early on, but I think I mostly just need orbs and EXP to get a team rolling.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

I've been here for this fest and the one in October, do they happen every three months like this usually? Quite lucrative if so.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bruceski posted:

I've been here for this fest and the one in October, do they happen every three months like this usually? Quite lucrative if so.

yup 1 per quarter, the 3rd anniversary one in march is supposedly gonna be crazy good if it's like the japan fest was

so y'know, another goddamn thing coming up soon-ish you'll want a lot of mythril for :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Brother Entropy posted:

yup 1 per quarter, the 3rd anniversary one in march is supposedly gonna be crazy good if it's like the japan fest was

so y'know, another goddamn thing coming up soon-ish you'll want a lot of mythril for :v:

Even without the mythril pulls, the Fall one had that roulette (sadly I'd *just* started playing so most of my stamina was spent trying to get enough stamina to run those orb dungeons) and this one's been handing out a bunch of motes and crystals as rewards. Relic pulls are yummy, but these fests and that dump of old events did great things to shoring up all the non-relic parts of my team.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
150 mythril gone in a blink.

3/11: RINOA CHAIN, Lightning BSB, Shatotto LM
2/11: Rinoa BSB2, Shantotto LM (why is this even on here?)
2/11: Edea BSB (dupe), Squall LM

I'd love to chase the Kain Chain but I think I need to stop now. Pretty happy with the results though. +10ATK for Lightning, a LM for Squall, the Ice Chain I wanted and a BSB for Rinoa too.

Next stop: Onion Knight banner!

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Did someone say Kain Chain!?!

Happy new year ffrk thread

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
2/11
Kain CSB
Lightning BSB

A really nice pull that might put my Bismarck clear in the 30s range, but not the element I was pulling for. I figured that my last fest pull that I budgeted for banner 5 was more for the top 3 relics than any real need so why not try to shore up my weak ice synergy with another pull.

3/11
Kain CSB
Lightning BSB
:siren:Squall BSB2:siren:

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

2/11 got me Snow chain and Shelke BSB.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

First pull: double Kain CSB, Edea BSB, Shantotto LMR (meh, it's all I got for her)
Second pull: double Snow CSB, Squall BSB2, Lightning BSB2

I think I have lightning and ice teams now.

Downside: I now have 20 mythril. Gotta get farming for Onion Knight.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

haha guess i just got a lightning team coupled with having gotten lightnings LMR

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

300 mithril in and still zero chains. Or any six stars at all, for that matter. I thought at least I'd get some ice/lightning relics since I'm really bad in those areas but instead I some bog standard medica that happens to give ice resist :toot:

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
What a great time for this to happen:

now with 7/14 dupes I can skip this banner in peace

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

squall bsb dupe, desch bsb

feels kinda like a waste, should've held onto that 50 so i could do two banner 5 pulls

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Half of these are dupes for me, I ain't going anywhere near this banner.

I still don't have a single goddamn CSB though.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Wait, does Snow really not have a single ice ability he can use? What is he supposed to do after his chain without any other SBs :(

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Only three dupes but they're good dupes and I already like my lightning and ice options already. Way pass.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alright I have 100 mythril lets see how this goes!

:negative:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Oh my god those were separate pulls

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

2 pulls, 5/11 and 2/11. Got Kain CSB (good but already have dupe Shantottos), Desch BSB, 2xRinoa BSBs, dupe Kain CSB, Squall LMR and thankfully Snow CSB.

Can't complain, really wanted the other CSB, Squall BSB, or Edea BSB but it's nothing worth chasing at this point. Next target, Onion USBs.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

jebeebus posted:

Wait, does Snow really not have a single ice ability he can use? What is he supposed to do after his chain without any other SBs :(

I think he is supposed to wait several months for an underwhelming ice reskin of the high crit monk ability.

Even having his BSB doesn't seem terribly useful outside of Jumpstarts.

Edit: My only chains are Zach and Snow. I'd probably like chains better if either one could use their supposed element.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 1, 2018

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
14 spirit motes to 24 dex motes goddamnit gimme Spirit I have like 200 dex in the back

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jebeebus posted:

...RW squall bsb? :v:

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Not on Fenrir. I guess I can try building a no heal team with his hp stock thing, either way I’m sure this will still help me get sub 30

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Can Fenrir blink Snow's chain?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Went 5/11 Kain Chain, Desch BSB x2 dupeEnkindler and Dupe Abel Lance. Did pretty well shoring up my weakest element.

Balthier might be fire aspected but he was making GBS threads out lightning damage even before the chain.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 1, 2018

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm glad I care nothing about the LMRs or I'd consider pulling even with 4 BSB dupes

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Pander posted:

Oh my god those were separate pulls

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I did pretty well! I'm not totally happy, but I'm 80% happy, and that's way more percentage than I'm used to.

Ended up doing 4 pulls:

100 gem: Lenna BSB
2/11 Rinoa CSB, Desch BSB
2/11 Desch BSB, Shantotto LMR
2/11 Rinoa CSB, Squall LMR

I was pretty demoralized at this point, because despite having the chain, my Ice is actually really bad. I decided to ragepull:

1/11 Squall BSB2!

This is amazing because I snagged Squall's OSB from a lucky.

I assume Squall+BSB2, OSB, LMR is an insta-dive, yes?

e: a...always ...pull????

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 1, 2018

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Did 2 pulls + 100 Gem

went 8/23

Lightning USB
Lightning BSB
Squall BSBx2
Squall LMR
Lenna BSB
Kain BSB

and

Serah USB ????????????????????????

MotU fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 1, 2018

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ceaselessfuture posted:

I assume Squall+BSB2, OSB, LMR is an insta-dive, yes?
Squall and bsb2 is instadive worthy. Dualcast spellblade legend alongside bartz dual cast record materia destroys anything when using that bsb.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
I only could do one pull on this one because I chased Bartz's USB on banner 2 (and got it), but I netted Lightning's USB, Lenna's BSB, and Desch's BSB. As nice as Kain's CSB would have been, and as badly as I could use Squall's BSB2 so that I can have a respectable iced team, being able to finally field a solid lighting team feels good. I've been wanting Lightning's USB for a while.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

I just realized, between Lightning, Squall and Bartz I now have spellbladers for all 6 elements. *Burns voice* Excellent...

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Pulled once, went 3/11 with Kain chain, Lightning USB and a dupe Edea BSB. Was really shooting for Rinoa chain and Squall BSB2 because I'm much weaker on ice than lightning, but I'm sure as hell not complaining getting a second chain. Gonna need to spend some rosettas on Razor Carbine because it's +lightning without synergy lock.

Really wish Kain's legend dive was better, or at least that there were a lightning-element version of Blood of the Wyvern so he could effectively build the chain without needing another bar for his BSB.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Really wish Kain's legend dive was better, or at least that there were a lightning-element version of Blood of the Wyvern so he could effectively build the chain without needing another bar for his BSB.

We're actually 2 months off getting exactly that with the Freya IX event.

quote:

Cyclone Bolt, 5✭ Dragoon
3x0.70 ST Lightning/Wind ranged physical dmg, self No Air Time 2
Uses Major Lightning/Power/Wind Orbs

pichupal fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 1, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
No chains at all, urgh. 4* Magicites are gonna be a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

100 gemmed Squall LMR.

I mean I guess it's something, I at least have his OSB. Blugh.

• Locked thread