Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

I cannot imagine the B.S. that would have occurred if movies from the 70s and 80s came out today. Star Wars would have been obliterated.

Han came back to save Luke at the end of Star Wars, but then at the beginning of Empire he's running away from the Rebellion! They totally ruined his character arc! Empire is the end of Star Wars. I bet Lucasfilm is making GBS threads their pants because it only made $290 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Another Death Star, seriously? And who the gently caress is this Sidious person, they never established any of this? Ewoks? Boba Fett was cool and he got chumped? The gently caress is this poo poo?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We spend the first twenty minutes of the movie following around a toaster?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
You have a loving computer that is designed to loving target impossible poo poo and you're just going to take away the targeting to gut feel a shot? How the gently caress did the torpedoes turn 90 degrees? Exhaust ports push poo poo out, they don't suck in dipshit writers. Too much bullshit, can't buy it, nope, destroys the whole movie.

EDIT: and how the gently caress is it plausible that the Falcon was existing inside the stomach of some alien turd? That's not how biology works at all! Where were the digestive fluids and organs and poo poo?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gatts posted:

Another Death Star, seriously?

Death Star 2 actually is a poo poo concept, though.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Is this thread just going to be morons pretending to be witty, cool, trendy internet guys because its not endearing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

Is this thread just going to be morons pretending to be witty, cool, trendy internet guys because its not endearing

I can't tell if you are referring to Star Wars fans or people who like Star Wars .

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
do any of the EU books explain why astromech droids have their own language but it's just beeps

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Gatts posted:

Another Death Star, seriously? And who the gently caress is this Sidious person, they never established any of this? Ewoks? Boba Fett was cool and he got chumped? The gently caress is this poo poo?

Leaving aside that the name "Sidious" was first said in TPM (prior to that he was simply known as "The Emperor" or "Emperor Palpatine"), while I don't know about Boba Fett's death, a significant number of people did, in fact, criticize Death Star II and the Ewoks upon RotJ's release. Plenty of people still do.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

precision posted:

do any of the EU books explain why astromech droids have their own language but it's just beeps

Same reason humans do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Boba Fett getting jobbed was definitely the subject of many a playground "that's bullshit" sesssion amongst budding CineDophiles

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Wild Horses posted:

this post lol

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the bit where the sarlacc burped after it ate him. I thought that was funny.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
They should have a prequel explaining why people are okay with droids basically being slaves.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I have ”good film opinion”; jerk me off

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

TFA= it's like a planet sized Death Star!

TLJ= it's like a mini-sized Death Star!

Ep. VIIII= it's like a NEGA Death Star!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

word

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Originally Luke Skywalker was named Starkiller. But most people don't know that before Starkiller his name was poom poom titty boi

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

fivegears4reverse posted:

When you're a bad writer who has been given access to one of the more expansive popular science fiction settings in modern entertainment, this is what you get.

His movie just made a billion dollars, he's officially a good writer.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mulva posted:

His movie just made a billion dollars, he's officially a good writer.

Between Brick, Brothers Bloom, Looper, and Last Jedi, he's written more good movies than JJ has been involved with in any capacity

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I Before E posted:

Between Brick, Brothers Bloom, Looper, and Last Jedi, he's written more good movies than JJ has been involved with in any capacity

I'd put TFA over TLJ at least.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Best criticism I’ve heard so far, said by one of the guys who I went with to see it with: “It was entertaining but they’ve been using the same ships for 40 years that I saw back in the 70s. They should be flying newer better designs by now.”

nelson fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 1, 2018

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yaws posted:

I'd put TFA over TLJ at least.

I heavily disagree, TFA was one of the most dispiriting theatrical experiences I've ever had, like having my blood drawn for two hours.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The quality of a Star Wars film is approximately proportional to the number of new spaceship designs it contains.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

nelson posted:

Best criticism I’ve heard so far, said by one of the guys who I went with to see it with: “It was entertaining but they’ve been using the same ships for 40 years that I saw back in the 70s. They should be flying newer better designs by now.”

But the x-wings are red now. And the Star Destroyers are slightly altered. They're totally different!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
At least this go around we had the dreadnought and the bombers and whatever Kylo was flying.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The sequel films are a Twilight narrative, with the central joke being that the only Christian in the known universe falls in love with a woman who is, by all appearances, the Antichrist.
How does either man's Christliness excuse them slaughtering civilians?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

It's terrible and it ends up not doing anything (although some of the shots racing along the surface are great) but I do love the spooky half formed skeletal design. It looks like a teratoma or something.

Starkiller is way worse on every level. It doesn't look that cool, doesn't make sense (it fires superluminaly visible hyperspace missiles I guess?), and it actually represents a much bigger engineering project than the Death Star, the only reasonable conclusion being that somehow the First Order is actually much better equipped than the Empire despite being a fringe militia and not the galactic government.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 1, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

At least this go around we had the dreadnought and the bombers and whatever Kylo was flying.

And Snoke's flagship, the cop cars, and the speeders at the end.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

And Snoke's flagship, the cop cars, and the speeders at the end.

You mean the not-Emperor's Super Star Destroyer, the not-Bespin cloudcars, and the not-Hoth snow salt speeders?

Yeah, those were great.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ruddiger posted:

You mean the not-Emperor's Super Star Destroyer, the not-Bespin cloudcars, and the not-Hoth snow salt speeders?

Yeah, those were great.

The last one is a stretch.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I Before E posted:

I heavily disagree, TFA was one of the most dispiriting theatrical experiences I've ever had, like having my blood drawn for two hours.

TFA had a tighter more focused script. TLJ was so meandering and bloated and the humor was just loving awful.

The jokes in the OT landed perfectly in comparison. Yoda loving with Luke on Dagobah is the most hilarious part of the series.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yaws posted:

TFA had a tighter more focused script. TLJ was so meandering and bloated and the humor was just loving awful.

The jokes in the OT landed perfectly in comparison. Yoda loving with Luke on Dagobah is the most hilarious part of the series.

I had no problem with the jokes in TLJ, and I guess I'm just patient because the length didn't really start getting to me until the salt planet fight. It's definitely not as fast paced as TFA when it comes to story beats, and while I haven't bothered to compare the average shot length TLJ probably sticks with shots longer, but not everything has to be Man On Fire or Fury Road.

E: Also I don't share the viewpoint people who rag on the Canto Bight subplot have that every subplot needs to be dedicated to advancing the plot in the most efficient manner. I'm perfectly fine with Canto Bight being there as a vehicle for cool character, location, and creature designs so even if you disregard the arc where Finn goes from wanting to desert the rebellion to protect Rey to dedicating himself to the rebellion after seeing in Benicio Del Toro what that sort of self centered behavior can do to your moral compass it's still worth my time.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 1, 2018

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I Before E posted:

I had no problem with the jokes in TLJ, and I guess I'm just patient because the length didn't really start getting to me until the salt planet fight. It's definitely not as fast paced as TFA when it comes to story beats, and while I haven't bothered to compare the average shot length TLJ probably sticks with shots longer, but not everything has to be Man On Fire or Fury Road.

My main problem with the jokes in TLJ is that they cut dramatic moments at the knees. It's like Disney is too afraid of showing genuine emotion so they shoehorn in these limp attempts at humor. The OT managed to seamlessly weave humor into the narrative without sacrificing anything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What dramatic moment did it under cut? Don’t say the Hux scene. It wasn’t that dramatic of a scene.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Maybe he's talking about Luke and Yoda, but the humor there fit the characters completely. BB8 in the AT-AT, though, that was lame.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

*tosses your post over my shoulder, but not enough so you can't go and pick it up later*

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

What dramatic moment did it under cut? Don’t say the Hux scene. It wasn’t that dramatic of a scene.

Remember in TFA when Rey hands Luke Anakins lightsaber?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Okay what else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Okay what else?

Try to follow along with me here CelticPredator

What followed should have been a dramatic emotional moment for Luke Skywalker Instead we get a cheap gag