Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

That is such an elfish complaint. "It's not better ENOUGH!" :allears:

Yeah, basically. I dunno it's not all bad, but it's just not actually terribly good out of the box, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
When you consider that they give up global recruitment for Black Arks instead, it kinda feels like a net-negative.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is the Luminark still completely useless?

And why did we get the copy/paste Knights of the Blazing Sun unit instead of Knights of the White Wolf?

loving Norse AI :negative:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 31, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

And why did we get the copy/paste Knights of the Blazing Sun unit instead of Knights of the White Wolf?

It's an insanely good monstrous creature/character sniper, and its shots home in. I don't see the need to take more than one, but just one will be complete hell on the enemy if the terrain is flat enough for constant fire as they approach.

It's a book thing, same one where Ghorst came from. The Order of the Blazing Sun was the only Knightly Order to aid Volkmar during his crusade against Ghorst.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 31, 2017

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

The luminark has never been useless

and which other fire-damage causing shock cavalry unit is in the game? Why are KofBS a copy/paste job but KotWW wouldn't be?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

and which other fire-damage causing shock cavalry unit is in the game? Why are KofBS a copy/paste job but KotWW wouldn't be?

Also by that logic: KotWW would basically be weaker but more heavily-armored Questing Knights, just like every Imperial horse-riding knight unit would be compared to Bretonnian ones.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Knights of the White Wolf use big hammers instead of lances so they're more fighty cavalry than charge cavalry. Empire already has two flavors of lance cavalry but has no great hammer cavalry.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean, Warhammer so this point is almost entirely meaningless, but that seems unwieldy at best.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Orv posted:

I mean, Warhammer so this point is almost entirely meaningless, but that seems unwieldy at best.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseman%27s_pick

It's a historical cavalry weapon from the same time period as other Empire stuff, so whatever.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 31, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yeah but since again, Warhammer, isn't the KotWW hammer the size of like, a small child?

Like I said, this entire point of objection is meaningless because Warhammer works entirely off rule of cool, so whatever, in the end.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Last I saw them was years and years ago but it looks like they're copied from museum pieces. The models don't have the standard ridiculous mauls for warhammers. At least the old ones at the end of the 90s didn't. Sometimes the sculptors do good work despite GW!

They probably are larger relative to real life but that's because the weapons are larger scale than the figures to make weapons stand out more. A real scale shortsword for example would be hard to identify on a tabletop.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah that's fair enough.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't know why there is such hate for black arks, now that they no longer contribute to the overall upkeep penalty they are downright broken.

500 slaves is nothing once you get going, send a black ark to assist your strongest stack, send a black ark to accompany your raiders for extra income and replenishment, send another to grab sea treasure to supercharge your economy long after the point upkeep would force you to stop for any other faction, it all adds up to absurds amount of money you can throw around.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Knights of the White Wolf use big hammers instead of lances so they're more fighty cavalry than charge cavalry. Empire already has two flavors of lance cavalry but has no great hammer cavalry.

So you're asking for a Questing knights cut/paste job?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I would like to see dudes swinging warhammers in this video game titled warhammer.

Also, can someone point me in the direction of a mod that makes Dwarfs not take over the world but doesn't completely cripple the bastards? I want to play as Empire in ME but these blue bois are loving up my conquest plans by settling loving Sylvania.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't know why there is such hate for black arks, now that they no longer contribute to the overall upkeep penalty they are downright broken.

500 slaves is nothing once you get going, send a black ark to assist your strongest stack, send a black ark to accompany your raiders for extra income and replenishment, send another to grab sea treasure to supercharge your economy long after the point upkeep would force you to stop for any other faction, it all adds up to absurds amount of money you can throw around.

Once you get going, sure, but i've found myself just ignoring them instead which is sad :(

Losing one early stings so bad too, its just not fun.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

My biggest issues with Black Arks is that they suck in combat. They're supposed to be gigantic magic sailing castles, like literally a castle complete with chunks of the ground it was built on, but they're about on par with an average lord, which means that average lords are going to kill your Black Ark in naval combat.

That kind of blows when you consider how long it can take a Black Ark to grow to the point where it can act as a good support service, and by the time you can grow them quickly all you really need them for is recruitment. There's also the whole rite cool down timer, while a replacement lord can be recruited the same or next turn and at a certain point lords can opt into immortality.

Even if you could build some kind of magic homing beacon on them that let Black Arks respawn with all their buildings damaged it would be way, way better.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 31, 2017

feller
Jul 5, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

My biggest issues with Black Arks is that they suck in combat. They're supposed to be gigantic magic sailing castles, like literally a castle complete with chunks of the ground it was built on, but they're about on par with an average lord, which means that average lords are going to kill your Black Ark in naval combat.

That kind of blows when you consider how long it can take a Black Ark to grow to the point where it can act as a good support service, and by the time you can grow them quickly all you really need them for is recruitment. There's also the whole rite cool down timer, while a replacement lord can be recruited the same or next turn and at a certain point lords can opt into immortality.

Even if you could build some kind of magic homing beacon on them that let Black Arks respawn with all their buildings damaged it would be way, way better.

Also this can't be overstated:

New Butt Order posted:

When you consider that they give up global recruitment for Black Arks instead, it kinda feels like a net-negative.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I don’t understand why Black Arks aren’t their own combat map.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Also to defend your black ark you need to keep a full stack of troops on it.

Even if it doesn't count towards the number of armies upkeep those units still cost money turn after turn.

But it can still lose to a "real" stack.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Senor Dog posted:

Also this can't be overstated:

I think that the Black Ark recruitment ends up being a lot better than what other factions get because one army can recruit from several Black Arks at once, but the process of getting there sucks. I'd have preferred it if Black Ark growth was a global pool, so early +growth research could provide a larger boost when you're still working with just one or two, but still not break things too badly later.

Xae posted:

Also to defend your black ark you need to keep a full stack of troops on it.

Even if it doesn't count towards the number of armies upkeep those units still cost money turn after turn.

But it can still lose to a "real" stack.

Yes, this is what really drove me insane. Black Arks are pretty huge time investments, since you can only perform the rite once every 25 turns, so losing one feels really bad. Since they aren't really a powerful asset in auto resolve a single, otherwise nonthreatening army can still sink one if the RNG wills it. I ended up just moving my Black Arks with a lord in the hopes of a 40 stack force being able to defend it. In retrospect I should have just filled them with black dragons and chariots.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
A single, (probably kludgy) map that heavily favors the DEs and a way to increase growth more quickly would be my two big must-have changes to Black Arks.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It should just be an uphill battle where the Dark Elfs are in the elevated position, with maybe a chokepoint or towers or walls.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

There's an outdated mod on the Workshop that lets Black Arks just recruit the entire loving roster, and it's nice as a means of giving them more utility. It's not terribly overpowered, in my opinion, either, since they don't benefit from stuff that reduces recruitment costs or increased unit rank (aside from global techs that do that stuff). They're just there to provide support for your raiding/invasion forces, and it works. It makes sense that a literal floating mountain fortress should be able to provide proper logistical support.

Meanwhile, global recruit is pretty much strictly better in most cases. Getting Black Arks closer to that standard is a good thing, in my opinion.

Oh, and for whomever it was that was looking for a mod that nerfs the bearded tide without completely neutering the dwarves, I use this and like it a lot: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1188295824

It just makes the dwarves pay more upkeep as they go, so the more territory they own the more upkeep they pay (meaning they're not making GBS threads out 20+ doomstacks a turn), and it simultaneously decreases their relations with other dwarven factions as they get larger, meaning that confederations occur early on, but eventually they stop that poo poo. For example, I'm on turn 252 of a VC campaign and the main Dwarven faction has a pockmarked hold on the badlands (having wiped out the Greenskins), but never managed to confederate with the western Karaks, and Karak Azul (in the southeast/east of the Badlands) is still alive and kicking (and hates the main dwarf faction).

It's a solid solution to the problem until CA finally realizes there's an issue.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 31, 2017

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

So uhh is there a mod that lets you have the insane unit sizes from the laboratory mode in campaign? :stwoon:

I will happily never play a city battle again for stupid huge fights.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Wow, you guys weren't kidding about Dark Elf progression; once you hit turn 60 or so your income just takes off. I'm not sure exactly why this is, my guess is that slave income starts to become progressively more profitable once you have a lot of buildings/heroes boosting it?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've never had a issue with losing black arks or any kind of boat, are you guys sailing your things right next to a full stack in a unfriendly port city then surprised they get attacked? with march stance there should be no way anyone can ever catch you short of a enemy on the water coming out of the fog at the end of your movement.

In march stance, you got 50% more movement then they do and they can't attack if they use it themselves, on top of that you can see how much movement range they have and just sit a inch outside of it.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Ive played delves like 3 different campaigns and never used black arks
oops

kinda forgot all about rites and poo poo

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I've never had a issue with losing black arks or any kind of boat, are you guys sailing your things right next to a full stack in a unfriendly port city then surprised they get attacked? with march stance there should be no way anyone can ever catch you short of a enemy on the water coming out of the fog at the end of your movement.

In march stance, you got 50% more movement then they do and they can't attack if they use it themselves, on top of that you can see how much movement range they have and just sit a inch outside of it.

I'm pretty sure 100% of my Black Ark deaths were the result of the AI marching an army I hadn't seen to reinforce a smaller attacking force.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What are you doing gobbos?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How much difference does firing arc make? My thunderers tend to end up behind some other unit by the middle of fights and seem willing to keep shooting through them anyways. Ditto cannons and organ guns.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Handgunners will definitely shoot your own guys in the back. I think they changed cannons so they'll refuse to fire through your own units.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Playing as Brett and just finished up exploring southwards. I'm going to have to fight the empire aren't I

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Senor Dog posted:

Playing as Brett and just finished up exploring southwards. I'm going to have to fight the empire aren't I

Maybe, maybe not. Beastman stacks spawn fairly often in Estalia and they might burn some of that problem for you.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Panfilo posted:

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about Dark Elf progression; once you hit turn 60 or so your income just takes off. I'm not sure exactly why this is, my guess is that slave income starts to become progressively more profitable once you have a lot of buildings/heroes boosting it?

The gains per slave are also better when you have more provinces to spread across. It's like how three lvl1 income buildings give you more gold than one lvl3 income building.

LLSix posted:

How much difference does firing arc make? My thunderers tend to end up behind some other unit by the middle of fights and seem willing to keep shooting through them anyways. Ditto cannons and organ guns.

It's all based on sight lines. Guns are just as good as archers if you can put your gunner line up on higher terrain to shoot over your melee line. Otherwise they either refuse to fire without flanking or line gaps. In the old TW games they'd just execute your melee fighters in the back of the head with no remorse.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 1, 2018

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Javelins have flat trajectories too which is annoying when skinks fall back behind your lines when skirmishing. The real disappointment is that warp lightning cannons also follow this rule instead of just vaporizing whatever dumb rat is there in the first place.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Eej posted:

Javelins have flat trajectories too which is annoying when skinks fall back behind your lines when skirmishing. The real disappointment is that warp lightning cannons also follow this rule instead of just vaporizing whatever dumb rat is there in the first place.

Warp Lightning Cannons are still affected by friendly-fire restrictions, but I find them to be much more generous compared to other artillery pieces. IIRC the logic is whether the projectile will hit an enemy at all, and warp lightning shots seem to have enough penetration and "health" that batteries are totally fine with dumping shots into melee. It helps that their elevated position means that they have more allowance on their firing angles to keep shooting with.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The AI will literally drop everything it is doing and snipe your "unprotected" (unprotected being the autoresolve tells it it will win even when it wouldn't, really) units, cities and yes, Black Arks if it has the possibility to do so.

This is especially noticable on Very Hard and Legendary where the AI is getting something like 2x the income, meaning it will field 2-3 stacks more than what you are capable of fielding and it will use every trick it knows to get those cheap wins, like forcemarching a 20 stack so it can reinforce a single unit that happened to be close by, thus making the autoresolve 100% in their favour.

So with that in mind ive been further tinkering with the Black Arks stats:

This is just a test currently, but as you can see the melee stats, damage and i think HP as well are far higher than a vanilla Black Ark, and should therefore tilt the scales into your favour as the player.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Uuuh also apparently Albion?

This is from a really bad source though, some random youtube comment linked to this to its quite possibly a fake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am loving excited for albion

I mean norsca had fimir and when I saw those I was like, oh boy