Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Honj Steak posted:

Owning less than 20g of THC was decriminalised in Austria with the start of the year 2016. Before that date, police had to file charges against owners of any amount, but proceedings were usually stopped early on if the amount was small. Now the police is asked to report the drug use to public health authorities, who then reviews the case and might mandate therapy. If people resist this they can be charged under the old law and even might be charged for merely consuming which wasn't prosecuted at all before.

It is technically legal to own and raise plants with a THC content of less than 0.3% and if it is raised for an intent different than creating drugs, but in reality police will try to charge you most of the time if they find plants.

So conclusively the situation hasn't really improved a lot, but the law is now expecting authorities to prefer therapy over punishment.

Do you have any solid sources documenting these facts, so I can add the facts and cite the sources on Wikipedia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Do you have any solid sources documenting these facts, so I can add the facts and cite the sources on Wikipedia?

That's just from the German wikipedia article https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechtliche_Aspekte_von_Hanf#%D6sterreich also maybe this from the german hemp association: https://hanfverband.de/nachrichten/news/oesterreich-neue-cannabis-verordnung-tritt-zum-112016-in-kraft

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Not to be a pest, but the optimal would be a news article for each of those facts. For example I searched Google News for "Cannabis entkriminalisiert Österreich" and set it for 2016, but it gets a lot of hits and I don't know enough German to be able to skim through the titles and see which article is most conclusive for "as of X date this is official" mixed in with all the "X party wants to/might/will do this". If you have a sec to find a news link, I can go ahead and add it in right now.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Not to be a pest, but the optimal would be a news article for each of those facts. For example I searched Google News for "Cannabis entkriminalisiert Österreich" and set it for 2016, but it gets a lot of hits and I don't know enough German to be able to skim through the titles and see which article is most conclusive for "as of X date this is official" mixed in with all the "X party wants to/might/will do this". If you have a sec to find a news link, I can go ahead and add it in right now.

There is very little mention of the actual decriminalisation act. The most established news websites (derstandard.at, kurier.at, orf.at) only report about the plans in early 2015. These are the only sources i could find that report about it when it happened. It was not a very newsworthy event in Austria. First one is a regional news site, second is yellow press.

http://www.salzburg24.at/legalisierung-light-cannabis-in-kleinstmengen-quasi-straffrei/4517780
http://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/chronik/Kiffen-wird-bald-fast-legal/211888209

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Thanks for the hookup, shipmate! Articles updated accordingly.

I'd been debating starting a Let's Read in GBS for the 1894 Indian Hemp Drugs study, but I realized it's like 4,000 loving pages long, so instead I just started a thread to read a 1915 collection of caste jokes which includes some real knee-slappers: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843774

If anyone peruses the Hemp Drugs Commission report and finds any fun-facts, by all means post them. I've found cool stuff just paging idly through it, but it's really long and detailed, and though cool is kind of dry and repetitive since it goes into enormous detail. Plus has a lot of individual testimonies which are lengthy and largely amount to "yeah, people use weed where I live too, it makes them a little lazy but doesn't seem to do much harm." Which is also pretty much the key takeaway of the overall 4,000 page book, which is also why India didn't really get around to restricting cannabis until the 1980s.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The trial arguments against FL's implementation of amendment 2 will be heard next month.

For those not up on FL laws, the implementing act for MMJ bans all forms of smokeable cannabis which is loving dumb and contrary to the amendment.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Mr. Nice! posted:

The trial arguments against FL's implementation of amendment 2 will be heard next month.

For those not up on FL laws, the implementing act for MMJ bans all forms of smokeable cannabis which is loving dumb and contrary to the amendment.

Does FL also ban vaping, or just combustion smoking? Is there any good reason cited beyond "you guys shouldn't be getting any fun out of this"?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That's the only reason. The elected leadership is extremely anti-pot even in the face of overwhelming public favor. Basically they want to still have a way to criminalize minor possession by the wrong people while dragging their feet long enough to ensure the proper people have entrenched growing monopolies.

Vaping is 100% legal and so is any edible so long as it doesn't look like food or is sold in a final product form. So you have massively overpriced (600mg 60%thc for $90) vape carts that are so so in quality. I like that they have no flavor added, but they really aren't remotely as good as western products. They have inconsistent texture and i've had problems with them freezing up.

The edibles are either in oil solutions sold in droppers or basically cannibutter in capsule form.

Medical pot in florida leaves much to be desired.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's the only reason. The elected leadership is extremely anti-pot even in the face of overwhelming public favor. Basically they want to still have a way to criminalize minor possession by the wrong people while dragging their feet long enough to ensure the proper people have entrenched growing monopolies.

Vaping is 100% legal and so is any edible so long as it doesn't look like food or is sold in a final product form. So you have massively overpriced (600mg 60%thc for $90) vape carts that are so so in quality. I like that they have no flavor added, but they really aren't remotely as good as western products. They have inconsistent texture and i've had problems with them freezing up.

The edibles are either in oil solutions sold in droppers or basically cannibutter in capsule form.

Medical pot in florida leaves much to be desired.

Couldnt you just dab the oil dropper?

Does it have tobe infused into food grade oil?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

LeoMarr posted:

Couldnt you just dab the oil dropper?

Does it have tobe infused into food grade oil?

No you shouldn't dab oil tinctures because it can cause lipid pneumonia.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Dmitri-9 posted:

No you shouldn't dab oil tinctures because it can cause lipid pneumonia.

There's dabbable oil that comes in dropper syringes now with exact dosing. It's not a tincture.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They don't have anything you can really dab and if they do it'll probably cost something stupid like $100/g

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I recently realized that I'm a little let-down that the 2018 midterms only have one state with legal cannabis on the ballot (Michigan). 2014 we had Alaska, Oregon, DC, and Ohio all on the ballot, and all those except Ohio were successful.

There are some decent medical propositions on ballots though; if South Dakota legalizes medical the only question remaining will be "which state is more hopelessly unhip, Kansas or Idaho?"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There was a petition to get a recreation amendment on the ballot down here but it fell woefully short.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Mr. Nice! posted:

There was a petition to get a recreation amendment on the ballot down here but it fell woefully short.

Yeah, it's just going to be Michigan for 2018 full-legal, but watch for New Jersey to legalize shortly. Then it's the ongoing edging of drat Vermont and Rhode Island. The other two weak spots on the East Coast are likely Delaware and Maryland (since the West Coast has this poo poo totally on-lock :smug:).

For anyone looking for engaging (thorough but not too dry) history of cannabis in the UK and its colonies, these two books by James Mills are must-reads. My university library had both (and your local library can probably request them on Interlibrary Loan), plus you can read decent amounts of them on gBooks previews:

-- Cannabis Britannica: Empire, Trade, and Prohibition 1800-1928

-- Cannabis Nation: Control and Consumption in Britain, 1928-2008

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Good article on Weed News saying that NJ, VT, and Michigan are the most likely to legalize in 2018 (and I'd throw RI in if we wanted a fourth): https://www.weednews.co/the-3-states-best-positioned-to-legalize-marijuana-in-2018/

Support for legal weed in MI polled 58% in May, so drat good numbers.

NJ is getting rid of Christie, new governor says it's a first 100 days priority, and support is 59% for recreational.

I knew the attempts to legalize in VT keep getting closer and closer but not making it; this year one bill was passed but vetoed by the governor, then the modified version passed the Senate but stalled out in the House. Turns out that bill isn't actually dead, and there's a good chance it'll pick up where it left off in January, and if they address the governor's concerns they can get it past the veto and VT can stop blue-balling.

I keep saying RI is fourth in line because they've done exploratory studies and committees on legalization, support for recreational was at 59% at the start of this year, and RI isn't bound to election seasons since they don't have ballot initiatives. There's also the fact that MA is opening stores by this summer, and there's no single point in all of Rhode Island more than an hour away from MA, so it's a drat good bet all the tokers in RI will be crossing the border to buy weed anyway.

EDIT: Heh, the RI legislature is considering wussing out and just legalizing weed at the same time as MA's stores open up in July, but not setting up any commercial sales in RI. Like despite it being at 59% approval, politicians are so afraid of backlash that their compromise offering is "we'll agree not to arrest you if you buy your devil's lettuce in the next state over."

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 21, 2017

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

EDIT: Heh, the RI legislature is considering wussing out and just legalizing weed at the same time as MA's stores open up in July, but not setting up any commercial sales in RI. Like despite it being at 59% approval, politicians are so afraid of backlash that their compromise offering is "we'll agree not to arrest you if you buy your devil's lettuce in the next state over."

That seems kind of risky. In my mind it changes a culture of lawlessness with one of "ruleslessness" where people will cross state lines with product and distribute it to their friends with no expectation of checking IDs, informing people about responsible use, or rigorously testing for mold. I guess since they already have medical it won't be that bad.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The "first 100 days" milestone that Murphy and Senate/House leaders have placed in NJ mean legalizing by... April 26. Hopefully they can manage it 7 days ahead or so.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Countdown until Jeff sessions does this

http://taskandpurpose.com/medical-marijuana-users-30-days-turn-guns-police-say/

http://taskandpurpose.com/medical-marijuana-users-30-days-turn-guns-police-say/ posted:

Thirty medical marijuana card holders have received such letters since Jan. 1, said department spokeswoman MIchelle Yu.

HPD began mailing letters to firearm registrants when the department gained access to the marijuana registry database run by the state Department of Health, Yu said. The state revised its permit application to acquire firearms earlier this month to include the use of medical marijuana as grounds for disqualification, she said.

HPD said patients would be required to provide a medical doctor’s clearance for any future firearm applications or to have their guns returned by the police department. Marijuana patients must wait one year after the expiration of their medical cannabis cards to reapply for a gun permit.

“Checking the database is now part of the department’s standard background verification for all gun applicants,” Yu said. She didn’t give a reason why HPD hasn’t enforced the law since 2000 when the state first legalized medical marijuana.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

This is why mmj registries are bad.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There's a lot of people looking into Christian Bax and the state is likely getting sued over him.

For those not in the know, Bax was appointed to lead florida's medical marijuana office last year despite no experience or qualifications. The job posting was unlisted and he was the only applicant.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Someone call the NRA!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
New Zealand is now hammering out legislation to legalize medical cannabis; they say not to expect dispensaries for another two years, but given that some people can't wait that long, they plan to decriminalize weed for anyone who's not going to live more than another year. Well, that's one way to address the issue...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

New Zealand is now hammering out legislation to legalize medical cannabis; they say not to expect dispensaries for another two years, but given that some people can't wait that long, they plan to decriminalize weed for anyone who's not going to live more than another year. Well, that's one way to address the issue...

actuarial legalization equals actual legalization imo, also this gold fringe is suspect

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Been digging more into the by-province regulations for cannabis in Canada (which again goes full-legal nationwide this coming July). The federal government sets a certain basic standard, and the provinces and territories can add further restrictions if needed. Which as a lot of folks have noted would've worked really well in the US, if the federal government laid a baseline and let Colorado push it to the limits while Alabama keeps citing people for possession. Here's a good news article on the by-province breakdown: http://business.financialpost.com/commodities/a-brief-look-at-provincial-approaches-to-recreational-marijuana-sales

A lot of it isn't too exciting unless you're as geeky as me about this, lots of differing approaches as to whether stores are private or province-run, under the liquor board or a new agency, can it be sold alongside alcohol, etc. But the really interesting point of divergence is Quebec, which is overall the least-onboard province on this topic for some reason, but also is allowing sales a full year younger than everyone else. Quebec is having its weed sales match its alcohol sales, legal at age 18, but they're also disallowing home-grown entirely. Most of the provinces are following the federal limit of four plants per household, but not Quebec.

It's really interesting seeing weed so normalized that a listing of rules looks about the same as if you wrote up comparative alcohol regulations for each US state. Next July is going to be big...

EDIT: apparently Quebec and Alberta are doing age 18, everybody else is doing age 19 so far. Various critics have complained that should be raised to 21 or 23 with the whole "developing brain" thing (which might be medically a valid argument but hard to justify in terms of adult civil rights).

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 23, 2017

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Here's another good breakdown if you're interested https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/pot-policies-everything-you-need-to-know-about-marijuana-legalization-1.3733749

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Another good one, thanks!

What's interesting to me is seeing where Canadian laws parallel US ones, and where they diverge bigly. For similarities, Canada mostly follows the same age as for drinking, and liquor control boards are their go-to to manage the industry. Two things are big differences though:

-- Online sales. Imagine trying to explain to someone even ten years ago that you can get weed by shouting your order at a little speaker sitting in the corner of your living room. Still no flying cars, but for some things The Future is here.

-- Public use. All of the US restricts cannabis to private property only, and only a few states are trying to allow weed at private businesses or clubs. I was really struck that in Canada the options run the gamut from "only at private homes" to "anywhere you could light up a Camel." Other areas cut it down the middle and allowing vaping and edibles in public, just no smoking.

If I were in charge, I think I'd put the public use at "anywhere you could crack a Molson" since I think with the psychoactive part, alcohol is the closer parallel. But Canada seems to be treating public use more as an air pollution issue than a public intoxication issue.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
It's a bit disappointing how conservative the approach Ontario (and a few other provinces) have taken. I think it's a mistake that they won't allow private sales at all. Given the large number of dispensaries in Toronto, it seems to me there's really only one of two things that can happen: either a massive police crackdown to eliminate them, or a continuation of the grey/black market for years to come, because people will probably continue to shop at them if they're around. Neither outcome is ideal. And once these laws are in place they'll likely be difficult to change. Ontario only just recently began allowing the sale of beer and wine in grocery stores, and they managed to roll that out in the most halfassed way possible.

Also I'm pretty sure that everyone is going to ignore the "you can only smoke in private residences" part outright. But it'll give the police an excuse to hassle minorities I'm sure.

Don't get me wrong, this is a big step in the right direction and overall I'm excited that the country is finally moving towards a sensible policy here, but I'm just imagining what could have been.

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009
I have just read Legalizing Drugs: How to end the war by Steve Rolles

It's a really good book, much of it probably won't be new to the regulars of this thread but is a good summary of the failures of the war on drugs, how drugs could be regulated, and the recent moves towards cannabis legalization around the world.

I liked this way he frames legalizing drugs:

Legalizing and regulating the sale of drugs shouldn't be seen as some radical idea, but as the sensible option for the minimization of the harms that they cause.

Those of us who want to legalize drugs aren't the crazy people. The crazy people are the UN who in 1998 thought they could achieve a drug free world by 2008!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

That's a good chart. FivethirtyEight today had a good article on the economics of legal weed. It also good graphs.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/legal-weed-isnt-the-boon-small-businesses-thought-it-would-be/

quote:

Davenport said this consolidation of cannabis farming in Washington is just a harbinger of what’s to come. “I think what has become more clear is the inevitability of pretty large-scale production, and that is really going to start to drive down production costs,” Davenport said.

Current regulations keep pot farms from infinitely expanding, but as legalization marches forward, bigger farms could well be permitted. This summer, regulators in Washington expanded the maximum farm size from 30,000 square feet to 90,000. California plans on capping farms at 1 acre, or 43,560 square feet, when the market first launches. But the state rules do not currently stop farmers from using multiple licenses, which opens the door for larger farms.

What would happen if pot farms could be as large as wheat or corn fields? According to Caulkins, 10 reasonably sized farms could conceivably produce the entire country’s supply of tetrahydrocannabinol, pot’s most famous active chemical (usually shortened to THC).

“You can grow all of the THC consumed in the entire country on less than 10,000 acres,” Caulkins said. “A common size for a Midwest farm is 1,000 acres.”

drat it's shocking to see that price. I'm surprised I haven't heard any prohibitionists screaming about it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sucks to learn that tv commercials about weed are as bad as Zeta hits on border mayors.

The graphs of all "drugs" plotted on axes of harm to self vs. harm to others, or immediate harm vs. long-term dependency harm are orders of magnitude more helpful than this.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Oh poo poo, this is a good opportunity to speak out too!

This chart is just legal recreational prices. The black market never hit this rate, and if you see the bubble on tax changes, that's about what WA's recreational prices were the whole time. It's only gotten about a third cheaper, which is amazing, but isn't the ridiculous slide they show. Keep in mind the steady supply of black market weed compared to the normie rush that happened in the first few months of legalization, combined with legal limits on supply. Someone unused to weed and unwilling to smoke it every day could make an ounce last six months or more, while turnaround time on crops and curing is at least five months from seed to shelf. Given this rush + crop time period, we should see another drop in prices nationwide after CA and the east coast states get in their second legal crop, roughly at about this time next year. In Texas, from 2005 to this graph's time period, prices steadily dropped from less than $20/g to about $6-10/g today. This is including another middleman or two between me and (I assume) Colorado.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 30, 2017

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

In border areas that relied on lower-quality weed from Mexico, this is the time for Christmas Weed, or local sativas that had to be harvested later than other strains, packed, shipped and trafficked. This weed was often cheaper and better quality than weed the rest of the year, which may be a tradition that is about to die out.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
As I frequently complain, Vermont has been edging for like four years now, and with New Jersey looking to legalize within the first hundred days of the new governor, I figured NJ has #9 all sewed up. Particularly so since the VT governor just recently set up yet another marijuana discussion group that's not supposed to have a conclusion until a year from now.

However, just in the last few weeks there's been a lot of news media chatter that VT is looking to kick off legalization as early as January, and the governor says he's "comfortable" with an early-2018 legalization. The VT legislature convenes on 3 January, so let's see if they can finally get the rubber on the road here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomangell/2017/12/14/vermont-will-legalize-marijuana-within-weeks-officials-indicate/#3cb93381e741

EDIT: New Jersey will have a disproportionate impact since even though the state only has 9 million people, there have to be about 10 million people in surrounding states close enough to take a city bus or a subway into NJ to make a purchase. And NY, PA, DE, and MD *all* have decrim for small amounts, so it won't be like going back and forth from Colorado to Nebraska or anything. Basically legalizing in NJ is like legalizing for all of Philadelphia and New York City, with the caveat that you have to go to an arbitrary neighborhood 20 minutes away to buy weed. We are living in interesting times...

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 30, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

These would be the first states on the middle-east coast, right

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Think you might be confusing Vermont with Virginia there. Vermont is further north than Massachusetts, which has already legalized.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Cicero posted:

Think you might be confusing Vermont with Virginia there. Vermont is further north than Massachusetts, which has already legalized.

I didnt remember an exact list of states that legalized and thought it was just Maine so far over here. (and DC but lol no sales)

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Cicero posted:

On the East Coast it's Maine and Massachusetts legalized, Vermont and Rhode Island tottering on the edge. So yes, New Jersey will be the furthest-south state on the East Coast to legalize. Though don't forget that DC legalized weed in 2014, they just aren't allowed to have stores due to federal fuckery.

If Vermont legalizes, New Hampshire's reluctance to legalize is going to become even more comical. It's a (slightly) long and thin state that would then be bordered on all sides by weed-legal states (and a weed-legal country to the north come July). So it's drat silly for NH legislators to sit around hand-wringing and "let's have a three-year study to see what impact weed might have on Are Kids." Given that you can basically miss a turn on your way to get coffee at any given point in NH and accidentally drive into a weed-legal state.

EDIT: I was trying to be funny, but apparently NH does indeed have a lengthy study of legalization's impacts, and it won't be finished until end-2018. Bang up job, guys: http://nhpr.org/post/marijuana-policy-be-debated-nh-statehouse#stream/0 . The great military term for this too late/decision was made for you is "overcome by events".

EDIT2: after the very-likelys of New Jersey, Vermont, and Michigan (which would bring us up to 11 states), Forbes thinks these states will be the next ones in line: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois and Rhode Island.

Then the big question is how crazy 2020 gets with ballot initiatives. If I were putting down money I'd bet that legalization will be a talking point for the 2020 presidential race.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 30, 2017

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Since we're at the end of the year, here's the basic international summary of milestones reached:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_cannabis_law posted:

2017: Germany legalized medical cannabis.[92]
2017: Cyprus legalized the medical use of cannabis oil for advanced stage cancer patients.[93]
2017: Belize decriminalized possession or use of 10 grams or less on private premises.[94]
2017: Greece legalized medical cannabis.[95]
2017: Mexico legalized medical cannabis having a THC content of 1% or less.[96]
2017: Peru legalized cannabis oil for medical use.[97]
2017: Luxembourg legalized medical cannabis extracts
2017: Georgia decriminalized cannabis.[98]

Decent but not overwhelming, but the list doesn't take into account several exciting things in the works that made big strides this year, most prominently Canada's upcoming legalization, and South Africa's courts ruling that it is unconstitutional to prohibit personal cultivation and use at home (which will take years to filter down into actual law).

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Months ago I saw that the NHS had begun trialling CBD Oil for epilepsy and got curious for more details. I haven't found much concrete info and what I found is somewhat confusing, the first page of search engine results gave me plenty of buying options on eBay though which I found surprising.

Anyway I did find some information on the first legal Medical cannabis product in the UK Sativex. http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/legal-marijuana-medical-uk-availability-law-a7699056.html Its been legal for seven (eight from today I guess) years buuuut its very expensive and concerns over effectiveness vs price mean its not available on the NHS which would explain its very low profile. Its actually been a rough few years for the NHS, constant budget restrictions and spiralling costs from bungled public-private partnerships have meant its become incredibly conservative and has been lagging behind many other healthcare systems in experimental new procedures and adopted alternative treatment methods.

Other than that its rather unclear the big pro Cannabis groups keep reporting they're on the verge of getting medical passed, but honestly I'm sceptical. Two interesting bits though, the Royal College of General Practitioners Council approved a proposal by CLEAR to publish guidelines for medical cannabis use which is a pretty big step for a society of that standing to take given the legal standing of Cannabis currently. https://www.clear-uk.org/probably-the-biggest-breakthrough-yet-for-medicinal-cannabis-in-the-uk/

And a group of terminally ill cancer patients arrested for growing Cannabis were given suspended sentences on compassionate grounds https://medicalmarijuana.co.uk/cancer-patient-freed-judge-caught-growing-medical-cannabis/

This may be a one off by a fringe judge, but it may establish a precedent for similar cases to build defences on.