Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
They have images of their goods and you don't have to mail them money, they're not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

JcDent posted:

They have images of their goods and you don't have to mail them money, they're not that bad.

That is such a historical.txt moment right there.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
poo poo, a terrible friend went and showed me Hail Caesar played with 15mm models from Forged in Battle. Hail Alexander for i shall be buying a box or two of Macedonian duders.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
Thanks for the Peter Pig recommendation. Looks like there's even a distributor set up here in the states. Anyone have any comparison shots with Battlefront stuff? I know it's 15mm and not that big of a deal, but i'm kinda curious.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Any word on the new edition of Saga? I want to do something with a gang of rowdy Byzantines and I know they are a faction in that.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Aw yeah, getting closer on finishing my first squad of Perry Desert Rats...

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Any word on the new edition of Saga? I want to do something with a gang of rowdy Byzantines and I know they are a faction in that.

guys from studio tomahawk have said saga 2.0 is coming early next year

heres a nice breakdown of the changes

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Das_Ubermike posted:

Thanks for the Peter Pig recommendation. Looks like there's even a distributor set up here in the states. Anyone have any comparison shots with Battlefront stuff? I know it's 15mm and not that big of a deal, but i'm kinda curious.
They are a little softer detailed and not as blatantly Heroic scale, but they mix in well enough. Just google for pics, people do comparison lineups regularly.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thinking of building some Team Yankee Abrams. They were flat green when deployed to Europe, then Three-tone in the late 80s right? Never MERDC?

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
Don't know if you guys have already seen it, but Richard has done another game with BeatsOfWar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30RpAZD4Ank

He's also done some CoC videos with them, hope this will get more people interested in both games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tvyw1h-PSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0uLL9YG0iM

I loving love this guy.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Dandywalken posted:

Thinking of building some Team Yankee Abrams. They were flat green when deployed to Europe, then Three-tone in the late 80s right? Never MERDC?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Commissar Kip posted:

Don't know if you guys have already seen it, but Richard has done another game with BeatsOfWar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30RpAZD4Ank

He's also done some CoC videos with them, hope this will get more people interested in both games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tvyw1h-PSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0uLL9YG0iM

I loving love this guy.

He's great, but it's a slight problem that he doesn't know his own rules. He's either freestyling or outright cheating a lot, and the CoC and SP facebook groups have been swamped lately by hapless newcomers asking rules questions based on things Rich got wrong. :P

Either way, if it gets more players into the game, it's great. There's clearly a number of people who picked up the rules after seeing it, so I'm happy.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Two things:

1) Have any of y'all played Pike and Shotte or Hail Ceaser? I'm thinking of taking advantage of Warlord's free box with rulebook purchase promotion but I've only played Bolt Action and Black Powder before. How do they compare?

2) I went a bit overboard with my after Christmas hobby spending:

I don't need anywhere near this amount of stuff. If anyone is interested in any of the following I'm letting go of the extras for 25% off retail prices:
-Tank War mini rulebook
-3x Tiger I
-2x Panther
-Wrecked resin Sd.Kfx 250
-1x IS-2
-18x German Grenadiers
-24x Soviet infantry
-36x German SS infantry
-1x SS Medium Mortar
-1x SS Pak 40

I'll ship free over $50, US only. PM me if interested.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

lilljonas posted:

He's great, but it's a slight problem that he doesn't know his own rules. He's either freestyling or outright cheating a lot, and the CoC and SP facebook groups have been swamped lately by hapless newcomers asking rules questions based on things Rich got wrong. :P

Either way, if it gets more players into the game, it's great. There's clearly a number of people who picked up the rules after seeing it, so I'm happy.

This doesn’t surprise me at all considering the editorial rigor with which the rules themselves were written.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Hmm....

E:

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 29, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
omg the little drums

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Those look far better painted up than I expected.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah that's why I had to add that pic. I thought they'd be like boardgame pieces at first.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I painted some Austrian Handlangers from Perry Miniatures:

They've got such great expressions :haw:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Endman posted:

I painted some Austrian Handlangers from Perry Miniatures:

They've got such great expressions :haw:

They just dropped the most fire album of 1793

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Owns, ty. Going to try and get the Vallejo paints from Hobby Lobby, and do an early baseline M1 in flat green, IPM1 in 3 tone, M1A1 in 3 tone, then the last one as an M1A1 in Gulf War sandy brown.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I kind of like the Reforger colour scheme. if I ever get into Team Yankee properly & Yanks in particular, I'd probably go with those. There's even a thematic logic to it since Reforger '83 was tied to Able Archer.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

:lol:
I love it

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

This doesn’t surprise me at all considering the editorial rigor with which the rules themselves were written.

Yeah, plus he tends to respond to people pointing out that the rules are inconsistent and requesting clarifications with "lmao tight rules are for nerds".

TFL are great at coming up with concepts, but awful at writing rules.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Yeah, plus he tends to respond to people pointing out that the rules are inconsistent and requesting clarifications with "lmao tight rules are for nerds".

TFL are great at coming up with concepts, but awful at writing rules.

After playing SP2 for a year, I'm pretty convinced that it's a much better written rulesystem than CoC. There are clearly fewer cases where I don't feel that the rulebook gives me enough tools to resolve a situation, and there are fewer situations where I think that the outcome of applying RAW is counterintuitive to what feels historically correct. Which makes me convinced that a CoC 2 (especially one with an external editor) would be a solid idea.

We're currently in the middle of discussing house rules for our upcoming CoC campaign, and it's a mess compared to the few houserules that we've implemented for SP2. We're talking a major overhaul of several vehicle rules, as well as several other support options (like snipers).

E: it's still a game largely unconcerned with balance, but it's easier to make your own army lists than to reforge large parts of the game. Still, it's worth it.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 31, 2017

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
To be fair to CoC, SP2 is a simpler game depicting the ultimate in Rock, Paper, Scissors wargaming. At least with napoleonics, bit I like it a lot and found that the card activation system feels much more fair than command dice.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

zokie posted:

To be fair to CoC, SP2 is a simpler game depicting the ultimate in Rock, Paper, Scissors wargaming. At least with napoleonics, bit I like it a lot and found that the card activation system feels much more fair than command dice.

True, units are more straight forward, and a lot of my issues with CoC are with vehicles, which are harder to represent than a cannon. And I also prefer the card activations of SP2. Turning over a card just feels a lot more exciting than rolling the dice, somehow. You have less control over how the turn will play out, but at the same time you (usually) have the possibility of use saved command cards if you really, really need to move something. You just might end up being too late with that move, which is nervewrecking, in a good way.

E: 2018 is going to be the year of desert warfare, just ordered six vehicles for Gazala. Panzergrens riding in stolen British trucks, yeah baby.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 31, 2017

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
The V2 FAQ for CoC helped quite a bit, but there are still a few vagueries. I don't really have any issues with the vehicles, but I'm not super chrome about whether something is Ausf A, E, Z, or double-Q or whether the bolt-on turret mantlet deployed only on this specific tank only during this specific operation is really sufficient to add an extra full point of armor or not. A lot of guys on the TFL forums get wrapped around the axle about mm of armor vs mm of penetration versus slope versus whatever, but I mostly think at the scale the game is played, it doesn't matter too much. I'd like for the mortar barrage rules to be a little smoother or more elegant, but for the most part I find that CoC plays pretty well as is. I don't think we've added many house rules to it at all, but that might just be because we haven't encountered enough of the weird edge cases yet.

In terms of activation mechanics, I like both the Command Dice and SP2 card system, but they feel like they model different things to me. In CoC, it feels like the resource you're trying to manage is your platoon commander's attention - how much stuff can he focus on or accomplish at once before command and control starts to break down. In SP2, it feels like your limitation is the ability for your commander to communicate with his subordinates and get them to do what he wants. Both systems model lower-level leaders having (or lacking) initiative very well, and I really like both systems, but I'm not sure CoC would play well with an SP2 card-activation system, and SP2 would feel weird with Command Dice.

One bonus for the cards, though: SP2 scales well for bigger battles without having to break into multiple detachments (i.e. Big CoC).

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Dandywalken posted:

Owns, ty. Going to try and get the Vallejo paints from Hobby Lobby, and do an early baseline M1 in flat green, IPM1 in 3 tone, M1A1 in 3 tone, then the last one as an M1A1 in Gulf War sandy brown.

For the flat green M1, go for Vallejo Model Air 71.294 US Forest Green, it's made for flat green cold war US stuff. Don't stress if you don't have an airbrush, I've found it goes on fairly well couple of thin coats with a brush.

Result looks like this:

Actual tonk

If you want the full paint breakdown let me know!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Happy New Years thread!

Also, oops:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
The only historicals got were some AWI continental line by perry. So looks like I'm doing sharp practice.

I've already got the giants in miniture Washington as a force commander. But i need to figure out a good commander for the loyalists.

I have a birthday in January. So I assume the brits will be coming then.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Chiwie posted:

For the flat green M1, go for Vallejo Model Air 71.294 US Forest Green, it's made for flat green cold war US stuff. Don't stress if you don't have an airbrush, I've found it goes on fairly well couple of thin coats with a brush.

Result looks like this:

Actual tonk

If you want the full paint breakdown let me know!

That'd be excellent, yes please! I never realized that you could use airbrush paints at all outside of the airbrush.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 1, 2018

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Fish and Chimps posted:

Happy New Years thread!

Also, oops:

It's a really great game, and you can choose your level of grog!

Grey Hunter posted:

The only historicals got were some AWI continental line by perry. So looks like I'm doing sharp practice.

I've already got the giants in miniture Washington as a force commander. But i need to figure out a good commander for the loyalists.

I have a birthday in January. So I assume the brits will be coming then.

Muskets & Tomahawks is a great ruleset for the era, too.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Colonial Air Force posted:

It's a really great game, and you can choose your level of grog!

Yeah, it's great. We used the medium rules and finished our two first games in about 90 minutes each.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

2018 will be desert warfare for our CoC games. I just finished some deployment points for both sides, as well as some additions to our DAK forces:

More pics on the blog: https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/mediterranean-theater

The weather here is really bad, so I'm stuck painting whatever I've already primed. So next up will be more French Napoleonics, as that's pretty much the only primed minis at home right now.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Tell me more.

quote:

It features assembled and painted ship models
On second thought, nah I'm good.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 1, 2018

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

lilljonas posted:

awesome DAK dudes
I'm glad I'm not the only one who obsessively paints the black-and-white DAK stripe on their sleeves.

I really like your basing scheme. I haven't added any turf effects to mine yet, and I might steal your desert wildflower idea.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I like those deployment markers, they're simple but good looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

Tell me more.

On second thought, nah I'm good.

:(

I'm so stoked to not have to do hobby stuff to actually start playing. Although of course I couldn't loving help myself and have started painting the sails with a layer of wash.