Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Ive been tanking 95%+ expeditions for the last week so at least Im winning at something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I pulled Noctis #2 today. No Christine or WKN, but I definitely can't complain about another ring of the lucii :getin:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'm saying, look at the quarterly reports for the company and such instead of any leaked docs with nebulous info. Nothing in them screams that they are swimming in money, far from it. Their company is trading at 1/3 of what they were during their IPO and their IPO was just a few years ago, their stock basically flatlined for the entire year, which is better than what was happening before at least. They are down about 20% of the personnel they used to have.

Everything about their financials screams to me that they are trying to hold on till they can push out new products to try and get more money in. In contrast to companies like Aniplex/Sony that already have massive cashcows that they dont really need to expand further, just keep improving what they already have and SE which hit a few home runs last year and saw some pretty explosive growth

Let’s just all agree we should bitch about it and try to get reddit on board with that idea to get the fountain back.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

dangerous.hotdog posted:

I swapped my companion to a TDH FD Onion Knight. He should be BiS once I finish Training Clothes in a few hours. Would love to add other TDH FD OKs.

411 249 974

Hey tried to add you but you're full. You can add me at 457222921 if you want to make a spot. Gonna try out FD OK when the TMRs are done in a day or three.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

So, I have 2 Krylas and her TMR looks pretty baller for Mystea: 15% SPR, 25% all resists (the highest resists on any materia), and 1 LB per turn. It's like a straight upgrade from Mystea's own TMR.

How should I build Mystea though? Is stacking resists a good idea or should I double-down on just SPR and HP?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Office Thug posted:

So, I have 2 Krylas and her TMR looks pretty baller for Mystea: 15% SPR, 25% all resists (the highest resists on any materia), and 1 LB per turn. It's like a straight upgrade from Mystea's own TMR.

How should I build Mystea though? Is stacking resists a good idea or should I double-down on just SPR and HP?

Generally go for SPR and HP. Keep enough resist materia around to fill out whatever you can't cover in gear. Even if we see some four fiends-esque fight where they do nothing but throw different elemental attacks at you, Gumi knows their audience well enough that they'll throw in some elementless, high damage skills just to prevent you walking through it with an AOE tank wearing 100% elemental resistance gear.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Kayla's regular attack animation is the same as that one dude who smugly seasons with salt in all the memes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hello, 2018! Daily Half gives me... Sazh #17! SO close to getting his 10-Sided 20-Sided Die!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I got Christine from the 250 pull. Uhhh I'm new but did I do good? Does she pelt her foes with the mightiest of snowballs?

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

rath posted:

Hey tried to add you but you're full. You can add me at 457222921 if you want to make a spot. Gonna try out FD OK when the TMRs are done in a day or three.

Request sent!

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Ubiquitus posted:

Holy poo poo I'm swimming in rainbows
In the last month I've gotten:
Aileen
Ayaka
D. Fina
Delita
Duke
Emperor
Oldman
Noctis
Roy

Today I picked up Christine on a daily
Send help I'm suffering from decision paralysis

:psyduck:

LIFE MUST BE HARD UP THERE IN RAINBOW LAND.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Ubiquitus posted:

Aileen
Ayaka
D. Fina
Delita
Duke
Emperor
Oldman
Noctis
Roy

Make Duke useful. Go ahead, I dare you.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Ubiquitus posted:

Aileen
Ayaka
D. Fina
Delita
Duke
Emperor

Oldman
Noctis
Roy

Noctis is fine for a finisher but the person you’re going to cut first the majority of the time. Christine is a sort of a TTerra clone so I’d probably work on her over Emperor. Though Emp does well as a single source of damage due to Fire From Below mechanics. And when Aileen finally gets her enhancements you have really good TMs for her.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

I got Christine from the 250 pull. Uhhh I'm new but did I do good? Does she pelt her foes with the mightiest of snowballs?

She's one of the best MAG units currently, and she can chain with TTerra which many other goons put up as their Friend unit (who is also very good).

She can also just give another one of your units an attack for 3 turns that they can use to chain with her. That's pretty amazing especially if you're new and still building up units.

Also I got my FD OK up! He's not quite BiS but close enough, shoot me an invite 209464963 (edit: fixed) if you want to try him out!

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 2, 2018

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Office Thug posted:

She's one of the best MAG units currently, and she can chain with TTerra which many other goons put up as their Friend unit (who is also very good).

She can also just give another one of your units an attack for 3 turns that they can use to chain with her. That's pretty amazing especially if you're new and still building up units.

Also I got my FD OK up! He's not quite BiS but close enough, shoot me an invite 209565963 if you want to try him out!

What's the role for fixed dice OK because I tried taking the other guy's to the giant gingerbread fight and it was a disaster

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Whats the damage output look like vs robot fist and onion sword? Obviously the latter stats wise is above 1k typically with the right stat boosters with a strong set up.

I would figure the OK damage would be better with dual-wield since he has it innately.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

WebDO posted:

What's the role for fixed dice OK because I tried taking the other guy's to the giant gingerbread fight and it was a disaster

You need your own FD OK for it to really work, but the purpose is to chain their Splendors and LB. It lets you chain Fire, Water, Earth, or Wind damage via splendors, and their LB deals a fuckton of damage with the FD build and applies a very strong DEF break + ATK buff. Two FD OKs can be all the damage + damage support you need, with maybe an imperil thrown in from another unit.

hagie posted:

Whats the damage output look like vs robot fist and onion sword? Obviously the latter stats wise is above 1k typically with the right stat boosters with a strong set up.

I would figure the OK damage would be better with dual-wield since he has it innately.

Supposedly, DW OK is about 30% less damage than FD OK

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/7kcaa7/updated_damage_dealer_rankings_chainers_v2_with/

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

WebDO posted:

You can’t chain single and DW OKs for more than like 8 hits. The second usage of onion cutter fires pretty early and has a 2 frame gap between hits when both are going. So you’ll see 1-3-5-7-1-1-1-1 if you’re fast or you cheese a spark chain. Double FD OKs should be able to do pretty massive damage most of the time.

E: derp. FD OK doesn’t have onion cutter. Yeah it’s just two different abilities. I don’t know splendor frames off the top of my head but I’m sure it breaks similarly - it’s still a pretty significant amount of hits.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 2, 2018

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
If I'm just playing this game casually as a time waster, do I need to worry about the Trust Farming stuff? Or is that really reserved for the very, very high end content?

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Ugato posted:

E: derp. FD OK doesn’t have onion cutter. Yeah it’s just two different abilities. I don’t know splendor frames off the top of my head but I’m sure it breaks similarly - it’s still a pretty significant amount of hits.

Splendors have identical frames with Onion Slice/Cutter, but deal only 12 hits total like Slice. So yeah, DW will break the chaining.

Honestly, FD OKs aren't going to break the mold much right now. They are the best ST damage dealers but only when literally BiS-geared. I think they'll shine quite a bit more once OK's enhancements come out, since those will allow his Splendors to imbue him with their elements while simultaneously powering up Onion Slice to 5.2x for one turn, which is where Cutter is at. Also, that element imbue will let them element-chain their LB which sits at 8x when maxed, which is really where FD OK's damage will be at.

LordHippoman posted:

If I'm just playing this game casually as a time waster, do I need to worry about the Trust Farming stuff? Or is that really reserved for the very, very high end content?

It's mostly for end-game content. You can clear most Event content without TMR farming and grab the few essential TMRs with the free trust moogles you get (get 1-2 Dual Wields at the very least).

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Office Thug posted:

Splendors have identical frames with Onion Slice/Cutter, but deal only 12 hits total like Slice. So yeah, DW will break the chaining.

Honestly, FD OKs aren't going to break the mold much right now. They are the best ST damage dealers but only when literally BiS-geared. I think they'll shine quite a bit more once OK's enhancements come out, since those will allow his Splendors to imbue him with their elements while simultaneously powering up Onion Slice to 5.2x for one turn, which is where Cutter is at. Also, that element imbue will let them element-chain their LB, which is really where FD OK's damage will be at.

It's mostly for end-game content. You can clear most Event content without TMR farming and grab the few essential TMRs with the free trust moogles you get (get 1-2 Dual Wields at the very least).

Onion cutter and splendor start the second cast of the ability before the first finishes regardless of which ability you use. Having less frames means onion cutter and splendor will break in a similar fashion somewhere in the middle of the chain and the tail end will be entirely unchained hits.

You can do chaining with just ability vomit and get away with it if you have 3-4 units. But if you’re talking two (DW) units the abilities have to be very similar to virtually identical to get a full chain.

See Fryevia and the Orlandu crew - they have the same hit frame data (7-5-7-7-7-7-7) but the startup delay is shorter on FFB. Even if you delay the initial cast of ffb to sync perfectly with DR, the second cast of FFB is going to be desynced and get two hits in before the second DR kicks in, which also will likely break the chain again on its 5 frame hit.

Funnily enough the problem with DW OK is the fact that he hits so many times. Going back to Cid - DW DR has a tiny gap between the first and second casts actually connect, so no overlap. DH and DW would chain together just fine. Onion Cutter and DW-Splendor do overlap, though.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 2, 2018

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

while trying to pull for a christine i got my second reberta. i never leveled the first one, i guess i could level them and chain them together???

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Last christmas event opened up! It's literally a miracle! 3000 candy canes required, but hey it gives a 5% moogle!

Upcoming raid looks very good though, most of the gear coming from it will be useful.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Office Thug posted:

Also I got my FD OK up! He's not quite BiS but close enough, shoot me an invite 209565963 if you want to try him out!

I think you got your code wrong. 209565963 brings up a Level 2 Rain named Hazel that hasn't played in 119 days...

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

One 5% moogle for all that poo poo seems like such a drat slap in the face.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I can finally stop playing the winter event now that I know the origins of Snowbear.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

I think you got your code wrong. 209565963 brings up a Level 2 Rain named Hazel that hasn't played in 119 days...

Yup I did, it's 209464963, gonna edit the other post

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Office Thug posted:

Yup I did, it's 209464963, gonna edit the other post

Ah, you're Muffinmx! That explains why I always find bad rear end builds on whatever friend unit you have up.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

hagie posted:

One 5% moogle for all that poo poo seems like such a drat slap in the face.

It's so funny that it's a 5% because even a 10% I could have grumblingly accepted but a 5% is a big old middle finger from Gumi as they laugh their way to the bank.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Office Thug posted:

Last christmas event opened up! It's literally a miracle! 3000 candy canes required, but hey it gives a 5% moogle!

Upcoming raid looks very good though, most of the gear coming from it will be useful.

Everything about the christmas event was a frosty fart. From the story, the gifts, the king mog store, the drop rates, the store boxes. Everything. They could have done a lapis box and half assed raid like they did last year and it would have been better and less work for them.

I'm firmly in the camp that Gumi is just loving stupid.

e-Christine is the only good thing that came out of this and it shows someone in the design team really wants to corrects Japans problems with weak and unwieldy mages. Promote that guy

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 2, 2018

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Well I for one am happy that Christine and Snowbear lived happily ever after.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Everything about the christmas event was a frosty fart. From the story, the gifts, the king mog store, the drop rates, the store boxes. Everything. They could have done a lapis box and half assed raid like they did last year and it would have been better and less work for them.

It's not even greed because what the gently caress was there to spend money on for this raid? Greed would be filling the store with great prizes to make people want to burn lapis to get them all. And then putting cheapish lapis in the store to make people want to buy it to burn more to get more.

Good deals and good reward are more "Greedy" then what we got.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Not stupid, evil, those cash bundles are solely for taking everyones itunes giftcards from christmas. The christmas event is to make whales grind and burn lapis doing so and christine is powerful to make you want to pull for a time limited.

Its the opposite of giving new players lots of free stuff to entice them ,and now they’re making it as miserable as possible for the whales to cough up cash. Some gambling addict probably spent all the cash they had for their kid’s christmas gifts and thats exactly what gumi wanted

quote:

Good deals and good reward are more "Greedy" then what we got.
If you give people what they want they’ll stop pulling. Its more profitable to dangle a single 4* ticket in front of them knowing they likely wont get poo poo from it and will have to give you even more money to chase it.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 2, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

No, gently caress man you really need to get on that evil cash whaling boner that the thread rides too much. A NORMAL RAID has more incentive to whale on lapis refreshes than this because there are actual rewards based on tiers. This has absolutely nothing other than the satisfaction of having your name on the top. This event hardcaps what you can get from the store and you dont compete with anyone.

Hell, its dumb as gently caress but using lapis refreshes just to get more turtles/cactuars/moogles probably makes more sense than using lapis refreshes for these pots

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 2, 2018

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Hell, its dumb as gently caress but using lapis refreshes just to get more turtles/cactuars/moogles probably makes more sense than using lapis refreshes for these pots
The whales already have plenty of all of that

The ranking rewards from a regular raid are also utterly meaningless for whales due to the sheer amount of money that would have to be spent to get to the top. The top spenders arent doing it for the summon tickets and moogles.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Honestly who even burns Lapis for energy these days when we have a nearly nonstop refill fountain of free energy pots given out?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

HGH posted:

Honestly who even burns Lapis for energy these days when we have a nearly nonstop refill fountain of free energy pots given out?

Realistically, only people doing TMR farming on their emulators. And I had to go through 100 pots in my mail and 100 more I had in the client to leave a buffer for when I get more before I started eating into lapis.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

HGH posted:

Id say tm grinding but the game hands out so many moogles every week i hardly feel the need to bother.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tengames posted:

The whales already have plenty of all of that

The ranking rewards from a regular raid are also utterly meaningless for whales due to the sheer amount of money that would have to be spent to get to the top. The top spenders arent doing it for the summon tickets and moogles.

Yes thats ones of the points. Whales will whale regardless of the format, saying that this particular event is somehow "more evil" than the previous ones because its stingy is loving stupid though because the rewards in the store just aren't worth it. The only people continuously running this event are either doing it to dump energy or doing it to prove how much of a loving whale they are.

Also lets look at the 5* units they put out for this event. Kryla-Fixed damage, she doesnt need pots. Cristine- Doesn't benefit from pots as much as other top tier mages. And unless you are swimming in mages you should have a lot of mag pots stored up.

I'm swimming in mages/hybrids. I have 2 T.Terras, 2 Frys, 2 Emperors and 1 Cristine. I still got christine a little over half way there on MAG/health and got her MP maxed I think. The next raid will top her off. I have 10k lapis on me right now. Absolutely no loving reason to spend on refreshes on this poo poo event.

e-Actually the only way I can think of this entire event not being attributed to incompetence is them purposely making it poo poo so that people stop playing it to save money on bandwidth or whatever

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

It's so funny that it's a 5% because even a 10% I could have grumblingly accepted but a 5% is a big old middle finger from Gumi as they laugh their way to the bank.

I am just glad they are throwing us a bunch of free lapis to match with my "no unnecessary spending" for the New Years Resolution I never made. 3600 lapis will last a good while.

1/2 pulls will also fall into my "unnecessary spending" ban.

• Locked thread