Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vakal posted:

Turrets are just too easy to knock over to be very useful against most things.

Fortifying should've made them heavier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Definitely agree there. The most common matchup is turret vs. phantom, and every phantom besides a basic one has a psychic ability that imparts a physics force.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

turrets do okay against operators. most of the endgame was an operator vs turret war for me

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

It was so, SO much fun to throw a turret into the zero G environments and watch it go spinning wildly about while killing all of those irritating puffball typhons.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
So I just finished this game and went "wow! What a goddamn good game! I've heard nothing but good buzz for it, so I bet the future prospects are bright!" And I pop over here and make a Prey 2 joke, cause ha ha last prey 2 never came out!

Then I read back a few pages. gently caress. gently caress. It was so cool! It had a Doom 2 setup for a sequel! Everything was so good! gently caress!

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 1, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

aniviron posted:

Definitely agree there. The most common matchup is turret vs. phantom, and every phantom besides a basic one has a psychic ability that imparts a physics force.

I suspect they underestimated just how many people wouldn't make them immediately hostile first chance.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just got this game. What should I know before diving in?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Have fun, explore a bunch, be creative with the gloo, and don't underestimate the stungun.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

fridge corn posted:

It's normal to lose head-on fights early on.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

fridge corn posted:

Try to think around corners. If you ask yourself, "Will this work?" the answer is probably yes.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Do you eventually get enough neuromods to unlock all the skills or do you really have to plan ahead what skills to prioritise?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

fridge corn posted:

Do you eventually get enough neuromods to unlock all the skills or do you really have to plan ahead what skills to prioritise?

It's probably possible to unlock everything, but it's not something you're going to be able to do during normal gameplay.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

fridge corn posted:

There are more than enough resources to max everything out if you really want to, but you probably won't care to get everything.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

fridge corn posted:

At the start, Prey is one of those RPGs where you'll unlock one skill then walk into a room to find 2 things you can do with your new skill and 6 things you could have done with 3 other skills. So at the beginning it will feel like you can never choose right but it's not really true, you're never going to lock yourself out of something vital and there are more than enough skill up items to eventually get around to all the stuff. Really the biggest thing to remember is that you can make stairs with the GLOO gun and that you'll get a weapon called a "recycler grenade" at some point which can be used to clear some obstacles.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 1, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Explosives also make good tools for rearranging furniture.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

this game is cool

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

i took hacking and repair as some of my first skills cuz i figure there's plenty of neuromods hidden behind hackable/repairable stuff

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It’s a credit to the design that hacking isn’t actually super necessary. If anything, repaid kind of got the shaft with turrets being fairly useless.

I wonder if there’s a way to increase turret density without requiring strength mod to lift them.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

fridge corn posted:

The nerf gun is useful despite not actually doing any damage. IRL you don't actually get superpowers from stick needles in your eye.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I recommend the combat focus neuromod and the ones that increase security weapon damage/upgradeability and when you can get it, psychoshock, and maybe electroshock. Upgrade the stun gun and shotgun and you'll be feeling fine.

Alternatively, do whatever because the game isn't too hard and really any strategy is feasible (including no neuromods). Almost every room/area has two or three ways to get in; be sure to look up and down and check the rafters/ducting.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Vakal posted:

Turrets are just too easy to knock over to be very useful against most things.

that's what the ol GLOO is for

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Stun or disable things before you kill them. Makes the fights 10x easier.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

fridge corn posted:

i took hacking and repair as some of my first skills cuz i figure there's plenty of neuromods hidden behind hackable/repairable stuff

If you're looking to root around for hidden things, consider Leverage. There's a surprising amount of stuff hidden behind big crates, and you can also stack them to get to certain places. I never found it useful as a combat ability though.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Sesq posted:

If you're looking to root around for hidden things, consider Leverage. There's a surprising amount of stuff hidden behind big crates, and you can also stack them to get to certain places. I never found it useful as a combat ability though.

Leverage+Remote Manipulation= Fun Times

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

fridge corn posted:

"Combat Focus" is a bullet time effect that is the most busted-rear end OP ability in a game full of busted-rear end OP abilities. You don't need it, but god-drat it makes wrapping your head around some of the more advanced Phantom behaviors easier.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Is there anything at all besides a Psi Hypo and science operator that replenishes your Psi? I get it if not, but if there is it'd be handy to know.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sesq posted:

Is throwing tables at Typhon useful? No. Is it the best way to play? gently caress yes.

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Is there anything at all besides a Psi Hypo and science operator that replenishes your Psi? I get it if not, but if there is it'd be handy to know.

There's some food, and also late in the game there'll potentially be more options.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 2, 2018

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Once you get the General Access keycard, you can actually access basically everything that comes off the Lobby except the Lift. If you make it to the... I forget which section, I think Life Support? That actually might come a lot later. Anyway, if you can get to Life Support there's a quest that will make it very easy to get psi points back.

Some alcohols give some minor psi back too, I think.

Lastly, there's chipsets that give you psi in certain circumstances.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

MikeJF posted:

Is throwing tables at Typhon useful? No. Is it the best way to play? gently caress yes.

There's some food, and also late in the game there'll potentially be more options.

Throwing tables isn't OPTIMAL, but I think it's still useful. It does sizable damage and knocks phantoms-size enemies over. And as you say, it's absolutely hilarious.

The most important advice I have for a new player is that later in the game you'll be presented with what sounds like a faustian bargain, but it actually isn't. Take the superpowers, the "reward" for avoiding them is a steam cheevo and a single line of dialogue in the end cutscene.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Mzbundifund posted:

The most important advice I have for a new player is that later in the game you'll be presented with what sounds like a faustian bargain, but it actually isn't. Take the superpowers, the "reward" for avoiding them is a steam cheevo and a single line of dialogue in the end cutscene.

What's this? I've played through once just after launch and I can't remember it at all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

What's this? I've played through once just after launch and I can't remember it at all.

He means Typhon neuromods

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Well both DH2 and Prey at least made the Bronze class of sales on Steam 2017. Probably not enough and no idea how the list is sorted and I guess rev distribution is very pareto.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/2017_best_sellers/

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Well both DH2 and Prey at least made the Bronze class of sales on Steam 2017. Probably not enough and no idea how the list is sorted and I guess rev distribution is very pareto.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/2017_best_sellers/

Wolf 2 is in that tier, so maybe it's pretty solid? I'm hoping so!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It’s something but probably not the greatest sign when your new game sells over 7 months what plays year’s game sold over 12.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Grondoth posted:

Wolf 2 is in that tier, so maybe it's pretty solid? I'm hoping so!
That’s surprising, Wolf 2 topped the charts the first week or two it was out, maybe it was a Batman v. Superman thing where sales dropped off quickly after debut.

In any case, I wouldn’t expect anything more out of Prey with the project director gone. Maybe they’ll throw us a bone with the Danielle Sho xpac people want, but I doubt it as there hasn’t even been a patch since August.

At the very least, we were left with a game that didn’t demand a nonexistent sequel, ala Deus Ex: MD or Tyranny. Prey works as its own contained thing.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'd guess Zenimax were probably hoping for more though, it sold in the same tier as Skyrim which is, what, six years old now? And in the same tier as Doom a year after its release.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

bewilderment posted:

Once you get the General Access keycard, you can actually access basically everything that comes off the Lobby except the Lift. If you make it to the... I forget which section, I think Life Support? That actually might come a lot later. Anyway, if you can get to Life Support there's a quest that will make it very easy to get psi points back.
Does this have anything to do with the air filtration system I fixed? If not, I might be too early--went down there on my own volition--or, maybe I'm still missing something. This game is pretty mind-blowing for someone that'd gotten used to far less-clever stuff.

e: Fixing it was the last thing I did before quitting last night, so I haven't had the chance to see if it's done anything to my psi.

e2: or, wait. you talking about the fab plan?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
So I bought Prey finally, it's really great and a sequel would be a day 1 purchase for me. I hope they make more!~!!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

echronorian posted:

So I bought Prey finally, it's really great and a sequel would be a day 1 purchase for me. I hope they make more!~!!

They won't, because you, specifically, waited so long to buy it. It's all your fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

fridge corn posted:

Early on, as long as you choose the mods that fit your initial playstyle and then continue down that tree a bit you won't "waste" them. Later on you'll start feeling more powerful and really figuring things out and your very-early choices won't matter quite as much because you'll be collecting enough stuff that start powering yourself up significantly.

So if your worry is "can I cripple myself" nah, not really. You won't be messing your game up and having to start over. Like when my friend was over he used my neuromods to buy the fully-upgraded strength and I saved before he told me, and I was worried about if he'd screwed stuff up.

But I just crush motherfuckers with stuff and I'm all good. In scary games I'm a hoarder to a crippling degree and I pretty quickly came around and realized that if I'm bold enough, the game provides MORE than enough to get by. (I would freak out if I went below 10 medpacks. I'm reformed now though, I'm perfectly fine to just eat some jellied eels and throw reployers)

Tumble fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 3, 2018