Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fututor Magnus posted:

what are some WH40K games that are both good and true to the setting?

Battlefleet Gothic Armada is my personal favourite game and story, with the best presentation. It's a space game and ramming speed is your friend.

If you're willing to go back in time I'm partial to Final Liberation, though it uses a lot of outdated lore. Great music, and it's from the FMV era. Very fun strategy game, but if you want a modern take try whatever the newer Armageddon one is, on the Panzer Corps engine. That takes place during a canon battle, so it's extremely lore relevant.

Dawn of War 2 is probably the best series for a Space Marine story, but be aware that it plays rather oddly, kinda like a squad based action RPG, so I'd suggest finding a buddy for coop if you're a slower player, I struggle to keep up with it. Three campaigns, last one is fairly lore adjacent if memory serves, but the first two have quite the story arc.

Space Marine is an excellent romp as an Ultramarine, but it's extremely untrue to the setting in the Ultrasmurfs occasionally having cool moments and being likeable characters. Bit more of an action affair though.

Dawn of War 1, not including Soulstorm, is lore friendly and the best ground based RTS. Soulstorm is fun, but Indrick Boreale and the metal bawkses ruin/augment it.

Avoidable is Chaos Gate, Space Hulk + Ascension and Deathwing. They're fairly bland games, though they are listed there in descending order of quality. Chaos Gate is a slog, but it's got great music.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GIVE THEM MONEY FOR DAWN OF WAR 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Chaos Gate is good if you like classic X-Com.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The main issue is some bad level design that rears its ugly head every now and again, and some very long levels. I don't think it's quite something to recommend, but it's not something to clearly steer away from.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What's the deal with dawn of war 3

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

What's the deal with dawn of war 3

It is rear end in every way conceivable. Too many abilities for units a la Dawn of War 2, scale of Dawn of War 1, lovely hero system, cover is random pentagons on the map that you can sit in, they removed synckill animations for eSports, the story is awful... The only thing that is cool is the Ork Waagh mechanic, which is a drum backing that grows in sound as you tech up.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I really wish they'd make a Necromunda game - so much character and it'd fit the XCOM template really well.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Chas McGill posted:

I really wish they'd make a Necromunda game - so much character and it'd fit the XCOM template really well.

I sometimes imagine an Agents Of SHIELD game done a la Xcom: EU, and drool.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Fututor Magnus posted:

what are some WH40K games that are both good and true to the setting?

Space Marine is very good, and is one of the few games I've played that both makes your character out to be a super-powered badass and also actually makes you FEEL like one. It is very true to the setting, with the possible exception that it is maybe a touch too positive for 40k, but it's still well within acceptable ranges.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Backhand posted:

Space Marine is very good, and is one of the few games I've played that both makes your character out to be a super-powered badass and also actually makes you FEEL like one. It is very true to the setting, with the possible exception that it is maybe a touch too positive for 40k, but it's still well within acceptable ranges.

It is pretty positive, until you beat it and your squadmates betray you to the inquisition, and you accomplished nothing anyway.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Space Marine is also very obviously not completely finished. There's only one environment type and the second half of the game has maps that are lacking any real detail and basically blocked out levels. They stop introducing need enemey types half through as well.

It's too bad because there is clearly a fun game there that really makes you feel like a space Marine but yeah I would not expect a great (or finished) game.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It is pretty positive, until you beat it and your squadmates betray you to the inquisition, and you accomplished nothing anyway.

The Inquisition doesn't kill all of the survivors automatically "just in case", Titus remains a thoroughly good, likable, and sympathetic character throughout, you have an unexplained Warp resistance for no particular reason, and Titus gives quite the satisfying little verbal bitch slap to Leandros on his way out. It's also suggested that the Inquisition is just as likely to induct Titus into the Deathwatch than to execute him, once they've completed their interrogation. And you totally DID accomplish something; you liberated the Forge World, pushed back the invasion, took out a Daemon, and saved all of the Imperial Guard and assorted civilians still hanging on - which appear to number in at least the "several dozen" range, possibly hundreds.

By those standards I'd say that yeah, by 40K standards it's still pretty optimistic. The thing you said, well.... it just wouldn't be 40K if we didn't go at least that far, would it?

But yes, the final boss battle is incredibly disappointing. I was satisfied right up until it, anyway.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 1, 2018

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
What are some good games that involve elements like programming (writing actual code or using logic units and timers etc), building robots, automating stuff and managing logistics, etc. Stuff I've played already:

Zachtronics games (all of them)
Factorio
Silicon Zeroes
Fortresscraft Evolved
From The Depths
Oxygen Not Included
Rimworld

I would get stationeers but since it's the DayZ guy I'll wait for if and when it fully releases.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 2, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kibbles n Shits posted:

What are some good games that involve elements like programming, building robots, automating stuff and managing logistics, etc. Stuff I've played already:

Factorio
Silicon Zeroes
Fortresscraft Evolved
From The Depths
Oxygen Not Included
Rimworld

I would get stationeers but since it's the DayZ guy I'll wait for if and when it fully releases.

Human Resource Machine, Logistical, Minecraft(?)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Carnage Heart

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Pony island lol

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Human Resource Machine, Logistical, Minecraft(?)

Logistical looks pretty interesting. Human Resource Machine looks similar enough to Silicon Zeroes that I probably wouldn't play it. I know Minecraft has mods but Fortresscraft evolved is highly similar.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Carnage Heart

Wow that looks pretty interesting actually, I thought I had played all the weird and esoteric PS1 games but I missed this one.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
It's been hammered pretty hard in this thread, but Night in the Woods is loving fantastic. I've been slow-playing it because I don't want it to end. Also they added new content since release. And it's on sale.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Hit me with some games with dynamic campaigns. Genre doesn't particularly matter, I just want something in which I have a series of unscripted missions in a non-static order. Think IL-2 Sturmovik, or the X-Com games.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Mister Bates posted:

Hit me with some games with dynamic campaigns. Genre doesn't particularly matter, I just want something in which I have a series of unscripted missions in a non-static order. Think IL-2 Sturmovik, or the X-Com games.

If you like RPGs, Darkest Dungeon sounds about right for you. There are some "goals", but the dungeon layouts and battles are randomized each time you go in, it's got a fantastic horror aesthetic, and you will get X-Com flashbacks from permadeath and some infuriating 90% misses.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kibbles n Shits posted:

What are some good games that involve elements like programming (writing actual code or using logic units and timers etc), building robots, automating stuff and managing logistics, etc. Stuff I've played already:

Factorio
Silicon Zeroes
Fortresscraft Evolved
From The Depths
Oxygen Not Included
Rimworld

Else.Heart(break)

Mister Bates posted:

Falcon 4.0 has the single best dynamic campaign in existence.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm looking for building/management/god games that will work on a mac. I've been playing the rollercoaster tycoon series but I'm bored of it now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Wow that looks pretty interesting actually, I thought I had played all the weird and esoteric PS1 games but I missed this one.

Such a shame that the psp one's single player is just a short tutorial for a nonexistent multiplayer scene.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

is there a game similar to Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance that isn't a laggy piece of garbage? Playing multiplayer (me and two friends vs 2 AI) and the game seriously starts to chug after a while. so many instances of units cancelling orders as the pathfinding takes far too long. I'll be trying to send groups of units to back a teammate up but they spend 2 minutes trying to path and then cancel and sit there without me realising and I end up having to babysit the units whilst other more important tasks gets put on the backburner (and then I die).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Ashes of the Singularity by Stardock, and Planetary Annihilation are probably closest. I don't want to say if they are actually good because some like them and some don't. I haven't played enough of either to have a definitive opinion.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Q8ee posted:

is there a game similar to Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance that isn't a laggy piece of garbage? Playing multiplayer (me and two friends vs 2 AI) and the game seriously starts to chug after a while. so many instances of units cancelling orders as the pathfinding takes far too long. I'll be trying to send groups of units to back a teammate up but they spend 2 minutes trying to path and then cancel and sit there without me realising and I end up having to babysit the units whilst other more important tasks gets put on the backburner (and then I die).

Be more aggressive about reclaiming dead units. The biggest resource hog in big games is the fact that wreckage still thinks its alive and tries to path around. Also try a smaller map, anything bigger than 20x20 is asking for pain.

As for other games, while not nearly as good in a lot of ways Supcom 2 has way better pathfinding and generally better performance all around.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 3, 2018

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I really enjoyed the SHMUP sections of nier:automata, it made me really glad I spent so much time playing Ikaruga back on the gamecube. I think what I enjoyed the most about it was the constantly shifting perspectives and different gameplay that allowed. Is there anything else like that on PC?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Lechtansi posted:

I really enjoyed the SHMUP sections of nier:automata, it made me really glad I spent so much time playing Ikaruga back on the gamecube. I think what I enjoyed the most about it was the constantly shifting perspectives and different gameplay that allowed. Is there anything else like that on PC?

Every boss in Furi has multiple phases and almost all of them include one bullet hell sequence.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Lechtansi posted:

Ikaruga actually came out on Steam a while back if you wanna replay that.

As far as games with SHMUP sections, I can't really think of any though.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I'm still waiting for someone to do a modern Guardian Legend. Maybe something like Metroid Prime with some cool shifting-camera shmup stages like Ikaruga or Strania.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

FanaticalMilk posted:

Ikaruga actually came out on Steam a while back if you wanna replay that.

As far as games with SHMUP sections, I can't really think of any though.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that I was looking for games with SHMUP sections, i was looking for SHMUPS that have different perspectives like the way nier does.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Lechtansi posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that I was looking for games with SHMUP sections, i was looking for SHMUPS that have different perspectives like the way nier does.

Oh, in that case you should check out Astebreed.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Factorio
Silicon Zeroes
Fortresscraft Evolved
From The Depths
Oxygen Not Included
Rimworld

Duskers

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

I like Duskers but I don't think it really counts. There's a very light scripting element that mostly serves as (very effective) stylistic element, but it's not really 'programming'.

Great game, though.

krael
Feb 4, 2009
Can anyone of you guys reccomend me a game such as die2nite, where you can actually play with in groups / guilds with people, who aren't either flaming or retared?

It has to be browser based as I would mainly play this a little while having downtime at work.

Thanks.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Any recommendations for RPGs/games that does inventory and gameplay items well? Without generic junk items or design around tedious pack-rat management?

Like incorporating non-generic items, weapons, or gear in a way that doesn't break up the action too much with town-selling-runs or dropping items in favor of incrementally better ones. Games with fewer, but gameplay-value items instead of Generic Studded Leather Armor Dropped by Every Level 10 Enemy, because I'd prefer if the drop was just gold or XP in that case.

I know about mods for increasing weight capacity and such in Skyrim, Dragon's Dogma, etc., but I'm looking for games that aren't marred by that kind of design to begin with.

Examples:
- Torchlight: The pet running errands for you (haven't played it yet, but thought the feature was interesting).
- Metal Gear: Revengeance: Action brawler, but fits the bill of few main weapons and the occasional grenade or missile launcher without taking away the focus on gameplay.
- I don't have a PS4, so haven't tried it, but Bloodborne's fewer weapons with dual/multi-purpose(?) vs. Dark Souls 100+ generic weapons with a lot of identical movesets.
- Resident Evil 4: Inventory tetris that could be tedious, but most items had an immediate gameplay value right there OR could be traded in later.
- Nioh: Few weapons that have great skill trees for each one, and a deep system for easily and effortlessly crafting, mass-selling, and even locking items in place to make sure you don't sell them by default, etc. And you can adjust the color code for what gear you pick up in settings.
- Diablo 2 and Path of Exile have a similar setting I believe, for color coded items. Main problem is still; why have the generic items at all when they are so uninteresting you give players a chance to turn them off?
- More strategy than RPG, but X-Com: Enemy Unknown: You equip your character before the mission, and your units only have a few grenades and main weapons, not 100+ generic ones to sort through. Research and selling of alien items happens inbetween mission instead of during, which would detract from combat gameplay.
- Mass Effect: I read somewhere that you also just equip your character in this game before missions and that's it.

EDIT: I have to add that The Legend of Zelda games pulls this off amazingly (although my last Nintendo console was a NES): Special items you need to clear dungeons have multiple uses; you need the Hookshot to traverse obstacles, but can also use it to draw enemies towards you. The Boomerang activates buttons, but also stuns enemies, etc. "Loot" is limited to hearts, heart containers, bombs, and arrows, with immediately useable gameplay value.

EDIT 2: Alien: Isolation also did great with its crafting mechanics. Hunting for items to craft and use was extremely fun, and the lack of materials - depending on difficulty, I believe - made finding that one part you needed that much more amazing.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 4, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cogmind!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Downs Duck posted:

Any recommendations for RPGs/games that does inventory and gameplay items well? Without generic junk items or design around tedious pack-rat management?

Like incorporating non-generic items, weapons, or gear in a way that doesn't break up the action too much with town-selling-runs or dropping items in favor of incrementally better ones. Games with fewer, but gameplay-value items instead of Generic Studded Leather Armor Dropped by Every Level 10 Enemy, because I'd prefer if the drop was just gold or XP in that case.

That description makes me think of Deus Ex, Okami, and maybe Monster Hunter or some of the clones like Toukiden.

quote:

Mass Effect: I read somewhere that you also just equip your character in this game before missions and that's it.

This is true for ME2 and 3, but unfortunately the first Mass Effect will throw a huge pile of identical guns and other vendor trash at you.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Thank you. Haven't seen this before, is it kinda like Duskers? How does it do things greatly/differently?

Really Pants posted:

That description makes me think of Deus Ex, Okami, and maybe Monster Hunter or some of the clones like Toukiden.

This is true for ME2 and 3, but unfortunately the first Mass Effect will throw a huge pile of identical guns and other vendor trash at you.

True, Deus Ex was great for its time and I had fun using most items in that game. That was a long time ago though, does this extend to the DX: HR too?

Haven't tried Okami or Monster Hunter, but I'll check them out. And thanks for the heads-up on ME1.

Also, added these to my first post:
EDIT: I have to add that The Legend of Zelda games pulls this off amazingly (although my last Nintendo console was a NES): Special items you need to clear dungeons have multiple uses; you need the Hookshot to traverse obstacles, but can also use it to draw enemies towards you. The Boomerang activates buttons, but also stuns enemies, etc. "Loot" is limited to hearts, heart containers, bombs, and arrows, with immediately useable gameplay value.

EDIT 2: Alien: Isolation also did great with its crafting mechanics. Hunting for items to craft and use was extremely fun, and the lack of materials - depending on difficulty, I believe - made finding that one part you needed that much more amazing.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 4, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Downs Duck posted:

Thank you. Haven't seen this before, is it kinda like Duskers? How does it do things greatly/differently?

You're a robot slave trying to break away from your oppressive masters. It's a roguelike. Inventory management in the sense that you find upgrades / kits / hardware from your surroundings and destroyed enemy robots, which you can augment onto yourself. Think different tread types (wheels vs tracks vs hover) and a bunch of different guns, power units, etc etc.

It's quite fun. Similar to Duskers in it's artstyle (sort of). Though I'm not being as helpful as I'd like as I only played each game for an hour or two. It's definitely worth trying Cogmind out, it was rather fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Q8ee posted:

You're a robot slave trying to break away from your oppressive masters. It's a roguelike. Inventory management in the sense that you find upgrades / kits / hardware from your surroundings and destroyed enemy robots, which you can augment onto yourself. Think different tread types (wheels vs tracks vs hover) and a bunch of different guns, power units, etc etc.

It's quite fun. Similar to Duskers in it's artstyle (sort of). Though I'm not being as helpful as I'd like as I only played each game for an hour or two. It's definitely worth trying Cogmind out, it was rather fun.

That sounds like a really neat concept and worth checking out, thank you. That kind of customization is something I really enjoy as it makes for great replayability.