Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dietrich posted:

You realize if you hike local corporate tax rates, the corporations will just change which location is their headquarters, right? I mean corporations are always finding sweetheart deals with various municipalities where they pay next to no taxes so the city can have the honor of getting their lovely jobs. Unless every state did it in unison, that kind of approach will just gently caress over workers.

Yeah sure, Wall Street and SiliconValley are going to pack up and move to Kansas aaaaaaany day now, Governor Brownback.

Those states have corporate income taxes already, if corporations were going to move to Wichita they'd have done it 8 years ago, guess what, they didn't because it turns out corporations don't want to move to states with failing infrastructure and substandard education.

There's no evidence, by the way, that municipal tax breaks attract corporations, and in many cases the breaks apply to companies that were already planning to go there anyway. Tax subsidies are just a handout to companies and are the most inefficient way to "create" jobs.

Here's John Oliver to tell you more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bl19RoR7lc

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Peven Stan posted:

It may shock petty bougie IT/techbro people who think they're middle class but the average american owns a home that costs less than half that.

My friend who is a teacher owns a 3br ranch that cost them 125k.

Normal, average, everyday, etc. people do not buy 400k mcmansions.

Sorry you had to define normal and average through the lens of your own life experiences. You should get out more.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Vladimir Putin posted:

There is so much blinding anger in this thread. What the hell is going on leftist America?

Correctly figuring out that comfortable, piece of poo poo liberals have been the biggest impediment to progress forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

Vladimir Putin posted:

Sorry you had to define normal and average through the lens of your own life experiences. You should get out more.

median home value in this country is 205k. Anyone who owns a 500k mcmansion should gently caress off forever and not expect taxpayer help for their boondoggle real estate.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Westchester is a rich-rear end suburb dude.
I feel like in your head, you're imagining Westchester as a singular town of rich white people. It's a pretty large county encompassing nearly a million people. Tarrytown, White Plains, Yonkers, and Rye are all very different from each other. The median income for Mt. Vernon for example is just over $40,000.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I’m not eyerolling on this one, I’m just curious if we ever came to the consensus on what a rich American actually is

My solution is just to sidestep the issue and start guillotining people in order from the top until we have enough money to solve inequality. My guess is nobody in this thread would come even close.

The only reason I say people is I honestly don't know how you'd guillotine a corporation, but if someone's got a solution I'm ready to listen.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Peven Stan posted:

Correctly figuring out that comfortable, piece of poo poo liberals have been the biggest impediment to progress forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

That’s where you are wrong.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah I live in OK and have a pretty decent size house that cost 400k. It's not anywhere near "mansion" size (it's a 4br) and OK has some of the lowest housing costs in the country. I know this thread tends to degenerate into Who Is the Purest/Poorest And Most Downtrodden Awards but come on, at least cling to some reality.

Please head directly to sub-basement 3 for guillotine sizing.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

My solution is just to sidestep the issue and start guillotining people in order from the top until we have enough money to solve inequality. My guess is nobody in this thread would come even close.

You would probably be right.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Vladimir Putin posted:

There is so much blinding anger in this thread. What the hell is going on leftist America?

There are few things that piss off this thread more than real no-kidding HENRY's

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wouldn't be opposed to states increasing taxes to provide necessary services making up for the federal tax cut, but it would definitely be an uphill battle in most states, even the majority of blue ones, I'd figure.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Vladimir Putin posted:

You're just now figuring out that petty jealousy is a huge factor in Leftism?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Peven Stan posted:

median home value in this country is 205k. Anyone who owns a 500k mcmansion should gently caress off forever and not expect taxpayer help for their boondoggle real estate.

So you captured the ‘normal’ for 350 million people in this country with your one median number?

Also it’s like you don’t understand that there are different areas of this country apart from where you lived or grew up. Not everybody wants to live in a shithole Midwestern suburb where they have to be racially discriminated against.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like in your head, you're imagining Westchester as a singular town of rich white people. It's a pretty large county encompassing nearly a million people. Tarrytown, White Plains, Yonkers, and Rye are all very different from each other. The median income for Mt. Vernon for example is just over $40,000.

What's the median property tax rate for Mt. Vernon.

Or are we just going to compare the median income for a lower-income part of the county with the median property tax bill for the entire county and then just assume that it must be the $40K earners paying 25% of their gross pay in property taxes.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xae posted:

There’s going to be no progress on the left if we keep having that attitude.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Xae posted:

Bullshit. We have no problem with people succeeding and being rich, but they need to own it and pay their loving taxes. Crying that you make high 6 figures but you can't afford a tax increase because of reasons drives us batty.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Peven Stan posted:

It may shock petty bougie IT/techbro people who think they're middle class but the average american owns a home that costs less than half that.

My friend who is a teacher owns a 3br ranch that cost them 125k.

Normal, average, everyday, etc. people do not buy 400k mcmansions.

I like that 125,000 is a moral house value but 400,000 is a hideous sin. Those numbers aren't even far apart in house prices

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheScott2K posted:

This thread considers anyone making mortgage payments to be deserving of the guillotine. Anyone who talks about their own situation while having a single pot to piss in has learned this.

Look at me, I only have a single russian bed to pee in

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rigel posted:

Bullshit. We have no problem with people succeeding and being rich, but they need to own it and pay their loving taxes. Crying that you make high 6 figures but you can't afford a tax increase because of reasons drives us batty.

I think most people on the coasts would be OK with taxes if they knew it would at least benefit the greater good. Here it’s like they are increasing taxes and nobody gets poo poo for it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xae posted:

There's zero hostility or jealousy, I'm making a policy argument and the only responses I'm getting is qqing about how I'm being so mean to the top 10% who don't feel rich compared to their neighbors gosh life is unfair.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Peven Stan posted:

i don't disagree with the spirit of the message, i.e. that paying for overpriced garbage homes because you are an overpaid idiot is dumb and those homeowners don't deserve pity, however there are parts of the country where 500k gets you a 1500sq ft bungalow built in the 1940's so maybe your generalizations are not well thought out.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Rigel posted:

You mean other than the constant "ironic" calls to murder people who fall into that category?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I'm blessed to have found steady employment as Three Olives' window polisher. He whips me if he doesn't have a clear view of the ant-like people below, but he pays me 120,000 per year. This tax bill really fucks me over and I think I probably have it worse off than black people now. If I switch my consistent R vote to D, can I get free college like black people do?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Vladimir Putin posted:

So you captured the ‘normal’ for 350 million people in this country with your one median number?

Also it’s like you don’t understand that there are different areas of this country apart from where you lived or grew up. Not everybody wants to live in a shithole Midwestern suburb where they have to be racially discriminated against.

Instead they should just live in their outrageously expensive east coast suburb and be racially discriminated against right?

The most segregated school district in America isn't in the south, it's New York City.

Pretending like rich white people are more tolerant than poor whites is hilarious, when asians start moving in rich whites are just as prone to loving off to private schools or a neighboring district

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Petr posted:

I'm blessed to have found steady employment as Three Olives' window polisher. He whips me if he doesn't have a clear view of the ant-like people below, but he pays me 120,000 per year. This tax bill really fucks me over and I think I probably have it worse off than black people now. If I switch my consistent R vote to D, can I get free college like black people do?

What a weird, old reference. Does Three Olives even post anymore?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Vladimir Putin posted:

I personally think it’s just people who have never looked into buying a house, modest or not. Not trying to put anybody down, but 500k doesn’t get you all that much and property taxes in those areas we are taking about pretty much exceed $10k or are close to it for most people in those areas.
Just a quick note here - This is a batshit insane thing to say. In huge, huge, huge swaths of the country, 500k would get you a mansion. poo poo, within the Chicago suburbs 500k could, in some neighborhoods get you a decent house, and in others, again, a literal mansion. Where the hell are you people living that the housing market is so monolithic that you could make a comment like "500k doesn't get you much"??? I live in a nice suburban area, and my 2000sq house cost 185k.

I promise you, beyond any shadow of a doubt, if you think 500k doesn't get you much, you live a wildly different life than a large chunk of this country. You should travel. Or, gently caress, play around on realtor.com for an evening.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think most people on the coasts would be OK with taxes if they knew it would at least benefit the greater good. Here it’s like they are increasing taxes and nobody gets poo poo for it.

The millionaire tax cut that was recently passed threatens a huge cut in social security and medicare. (either that or we decide debt doesn't matter and blow another $1.5T hole in the debt), and Republicans are already making noise about how we can't afford food stamps anymore and should just end the program entirely. Then there's that whole CHIP thing that expired, so no, you are loving wrong on this.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Xae posted:

You mean other than the constant "ironic" calls to murder people who fall into that category?

Shitposters on the something awful dot com message boards are not a significant factor in our national politics.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

What's the median property tax rate for Mt. Vernon.

Or are we just going to compare the median income for a lower-income part of the county with the medium property tax bill for the entire county and then just assume that it must be the $40K earners paying 25% of their gross pay in property taxes.
Yeah, I'm not engaging in your pointless tax debate.

I'm just saying you clearly thought Westchester County was like a town outside of New York full of very rich people instead of a pretty large county that encompasses very different cities and townships including folks who don't make much money along with yes, many rich people.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Slugworth posted:

I promise you, beyond any shadow of a doubt, if you think 500k doesn't get you much, you live a wildly different life than a large chunk of this country. You should travel. Or, gently caress, play around on realtor.com for an evening.

If you're in a tech job and anywhere near the tech hubs 500k won't get far

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Xae posted:

You let me know when the first rich person gets guillotined by the poor in this country, cause I think that's when being ironic starts being dangerous.

Until then, go gently caress yourself

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Slugworth posted:

Just a quick note here - This is a batshit insane thing to say. In huge, huge, huge swaths of the country, 500k would get you a mansion. poo poo, within the Chicago suburbs 500k could, in some neighborhoods get you a decent house, and in others, again, a literal mansion. Where the hell are you people living that the housing market is so monolithic that you could make a comment like "500k doesn't get you much"??? I live in a nice suburban area, and my 2000sq house cost 185k.

New York metro area.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rigel posted:

The millionaire tax cut that was recently passed threatens a huge cut in social security and medicare. (either that or we decide debt doesn't matter and blow another $1.5T hole in the debt), and Republicans are already making noise about how we can't afford food stamps anymore and should just end the program entirely. Then there's that whole CHIP thing that expired, so no, you are loving wrong on this.

I said most people on the coasts.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Xae posted:

Excuse me, but my jokes about guillotining people aren't because of jealousy, they're because our system is hosed and I want to fix it for future generations.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Azhais posted:

Good thing most americans aren't chomping at the bit to work for uber and live in a 400 square feet, $450,000 san francisco studio

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Casey Finnigan posted:

Wasn't he one of the casualties in the Great Election Massacre?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, I'm not engaging in your pointless tax debate.

I'm just saying you clearly thought Westchester County was like a town outside of New York full of very rich people instead of a pretty large county that encompasses very different cities and townships including folks who don't make much money along with yes, many rich people.

:lol: I knew it.

Dude, you just tried to make the argument that poor people pay more than $10,000 in SALT because look some people in Westchester county make $40k surely they must be the ones with the $10k+ tax bill, now I ask you to show your work on that and suddenly it's "pointless".

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Azhais posted:

Or you know, one of the people who work a non-tech job in those hubs.

Even in those hubs there are hundreds of thousands of people who have very little to do with the sector their city is a hub for.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

In GBS, mostly. He's quadrupled down on his "disaffected bourgeoisie" gimmick.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Vladimir Putin posted:

Trump is President. Just an FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Unoriginal Name posted:

You let me know when the first rich person gets guillotined by the poor in this country, cause I think that's when being ironic starts being dangerous.

Until then, go gently caress yourself

Every single part of politics doesn't need it's own stupid 4chan style pepe memes

• Locked thread