Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nephthys posted:

So I just heard that theres some claims that TLJ plagiarized a self-insert fanfiction. Apparently it was written shortly after Force Awakens and turns out to have some eerily similar plot point to what TLJ eventually did.

Obviously not true since Last Jedi was written and started filming before TFA even came out, but certain things are bizarrely similar and it's an absurd enough story to bear mention I think.

Rey/the Reader's parents being junkers who sold her, Snoke creating a Force bond between them, Kylo turning on Snoke while getting his mind read and the Reader/Rey and Kylo fighting over a lightsaber all turned out very similar from what I've heard.

Pretty weird!

It's a fun coincidence but a lot of that stuff was being rumored for episode VIII even before Force Awakens was released. Plus basic stuff like Ren is conflicted, Snoke manipulates folks with the force, Rey's parents are nobodies, Rey and Kylo face off again, none of that is particularly groundbreaking stuff was pretty much assured to happen in the next movie just from watching Force Awakens. So I was surprised any claims of plagiarism were made at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

this movie read to me as one made by and for someone who's smart enough but not nearly as clever as they think they are

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I saw this movie yesterday.

The red throne room guys were the Knights of Ren, right? They were the other ~mysterious element~ from TFA that needed to be wiped out with no real explanation. Although looking at their weapons it's clear that the appearance of SW characters in the Soulcalibur games is now canon and that Luke took many of his apprentices from the Soulcalibur world. Like, the one with the extending whip sword was Ivy, and the one with the two space daggers was Taki. Which I guess makes perfect sense. Maybe Snoke is also someone from Soulcalibur. Too bad they all went over to the dark side.

Speaking of weapons, Rey lost her heirloom laser sword in TLJ, so now she's going to need a new one. I wonder if the writers will do the obvious and logical thing and have her make her own Episode One-style double-bladed staff. Seems to be her weapon of choice anyway. I'm also thinking there will be a pretty big time gap between the end of TLJ and the beginning of the next one. The tacked-on final scene with the kid made it seem like a more than one movie's worth of stuff was going to need to play out before there could be a reasonable setup for a conclusion to the story. I guess we'll see, but I bet IX will triple-down on the whole 'everything that happened last time was irrelevant and inconsequential' contrivances that have permeated Disney Star Wars 1 & 2.

And how are they going to get Billy Dee Williams, Force Ghost Hayden Christensen, and a suitable conclusion to the new characters' story all packed into this final movie? It seem like they've got their work cut out for them.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

OMG I get it now. TLJ is a filler episode just like the episode “Fly” on breaking bad where Cranston goes on a failed side quest to kill the fly and ultimately learns from his failure but otherwise a poo poo filler episode.

That's not what a filler episode is, though. Also Fly is a great episode.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Raxivace posted:

Ozymandias, though part of me wonders how much of that episode being so good isn't just because it was the culmination of like five and half seasons worth of buildup and plot.

Johnson still really sold it though and made it work, yeah.

Too bad he couldn’t do the same with 8 movies worth of space opera buildup.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Nephthys posted:

Apparently its longer than Harry Potter, lol. So good luck:

http://archiveofourown.org/series/413710

Heres the article that I think originated the theory:

http://scavengersholocron.com/category/home/something-you-should-know-about-the-last-jedi/

Hahaha oh my god it’s in second person

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

Oh God it's written in the second person present tense.

Jay McInerny they are not

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

And how are they going to get Billy Dee Williams, Force Ghost Hayden Christensen, and a suitable conclusion to the new characters' story all packed into this final movie? It seem like they've got their work cut out for them.

(some super swank estate, hell, literally a massive estate on Canto Bite)

Lando returns home from a party, but turns on the lights to his place and is startled by the presence of a shimmering figure.

HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN FORCE GHOST: Former Mayor Calrissian, thirty years ago you served by friends in the Death Star wars. They died heroes, but their descendants needs us now more than ever to-

Lando: HEY, me and Han had a deal after everything went down on Endor I was done playing hero this-

HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN FORCE GHOST: I AM ALTERING THE DEAL.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Waffles Inc. posted:

The only reason Johnson put that line in there is probably because he likes him and wanted to enshrine him having not been chumped by the FO death beam when it destroyed every New Republic ship.

The ultimate Fan Service would somehow involve Wedge tho

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Speaking of Wedge, where the gently caress was he in Rogue One. I'm way too lazy to check Wookie Encyclopedia.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

I Before E posted:

That's not what a filler episode is, though. Also Fly is a great episode.

People also seem to forget that Rian Johnson also directed Ozymandias for Breaking Bad.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Speaking of Wedge, where the gently caress was he in Rogue One. I'm way too lazy to check Wookie Encyclopedia.

They didn't show either Wedge or Biggs flying at Scarif. I guess they could have been. I think only Red Leader and Red Five specifically got called out/shown.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
if ep ix doesn't end on a song & dance number I'm going to boycott disney for the rest of my life

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yes, a Star Wars movie where Luke Skywalker dies is "filler".

Canopus250 posted:

They didn't show either Wedge or Biggs flying at Scarif. I guess they could have been. I think only Red Leader and Red Five specifically got called out/shown.

Wedge was surprised at the size of the Death Star during his attack run on it, so I figure the previous Red Two died during the fight at Scarif.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Did I imagine it, or did the kid at the end use the force to pull the broom into his hand? He telekinetically moved it an inch or so.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FuturePastNow posted:

Did I imagine it, or did the kid at the end use the force to pull the broom into his hand? He telekinetically moved it an inch or so.

I thought so too but there's no way I'm seeing this twice.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

He did and it's part of why the last scene rules.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I still don't understand why they had to introduce the character of Rose when, as others have pointed out, it would have made a lot more sense for Finn and Poe to go on the sidequest together. Poe has nothing to do after his fighter is destroyed, and the characters already work well together.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

TerminalRaptor posted:

I still don't understand why they had to introduce the character of Rose when, as others have pointed out, it would have made a lot more sense for Finn and Poe to go on the sidequest together. Poe has nothing to do after his fighter is destroyed, and the characters already work well together.

Because then Finn and Poe would have to kiss.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

TerminalRaptor posted:

I still don't understand why they had to introduce the character of Rose when, as others have pointed out, it would have made a lot more sense for Finn and Poe to go on the sidequest together.

that was even the original plan lmao

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He did and it's part of why the last scene rules.

that kid was luke and the whole cycle is beginning again :350:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TerminalRaptor posted:

Because as the events of Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi have shown us Rose owns bones and Poe sucks rear end.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

rose simultaneously increases representation and allows johnson to shuttle off the poc into one condensed meaningless sidequest while the whites get the relevant plot

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

mycot posted:

Their adventure together culminating in this would be good. I'd have enjoyed that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mycot posted:

Not seeing the problem here. :wink:

We Hate Movies has a real good review of this movie out. "There's a lot of people who hook their entire personality on being disappointed with everything."

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Gatts posted:

Their adventure together culminating in this would be good. I'd have enjoyed that.

precision posted:

I would have too but you know that's too good for us to get.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

precision posted:

We Hate Movies has a real good review of this movie out. "There's a lot of people who hook their entire personality on being disappointed with everything."

That and there's a tendency to put more emphasis on implication than text, and the implications raised are often subjective.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to get back to my essay about how Poe scratching BB-8's belly sends SHOCKWAVES THROUGHOUT THE STAR WARS UNIVERSE IN REGARDS TO A DROID'S ABILITY TO FEEL PAIN OR PLEASURE AND FURTHERMORE

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I will give the First Order credit for one thing. Unlike the Emperor's royal guard scampering away like punks the second something went wrong the Knights of Ren were both cool looking AND didn't hesitate to put up a good fight.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

I will give the First Order credit for one thing. Unlike the Emperor's royal guard scampering away like punks the second something went wrong the Knights of Ren were both cool looking AND didn't hesitate to put up a good fight.

yeah but why...I mean their job is to defend snoke; once he's dead, shouldn't they just give kylo their resumes?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Is that who they were supposed to be? You'd think they'd like Kylo a bit more

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Is that who they were supposed to be? You'd think they'd like Kylo a bit more

Not that it matters even a little but Johnson has said those guards are not the Knights of Ren

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Has this movie broken the billion dollar mark yet. I get the impression that fan backlash is moot when it comes to massive corporate-planned onslaught entertainment which indeed is too big to fail and too large to ignore. For every individual deeply upset that their mental fanfiction of Snoke seducing Kylo didn't exactly pan out there must be at least 20 or so people just watching the glowsticks twirl and the lasers go pew pew. I'm ok with both accounts.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Has this movie broken the billion dollar mark yet.
Yeah, it has.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

Not that it matters even a little but Johnson has said those guards are not the Knights of Ren

what do the six distinct action figure boxes call them then :mad:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jonathan Fisk posted:

what do the six distinct action figure boxes call them then :mad:

Praetorian Guards.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Pretty sure whenever the Knights of Ren show up, they will all use light sabers. Aren't they the students that joined Rylo after he destroyed Luke's school? I assume either they will be used for villains in later movies or get wrecked by Rey in 9.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I hope they come back and own Kylo Ren.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Waffles Inc. posted:

It was a cool fight, but should it have been? Couldn't they just force throw them around like Yoda did in the prequels?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Neo Rasa posted:

...after Snoke was already dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Justin Godscock posted:

People also seem to forget that Rian Johnson also directed Ozymandias for Breaking Bad.

And then he did this too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NxsyC4kVPM

• Locked thread