Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I don't think it's unthinkable to say that when one part of a film's plot has a character trying to save his mother from forced servitude, and another part has thousands of people in a similar condition of forced servitude which is being covered up by the nominally moral organization the first character belongs to, it's more likely to be saying that the organization is hypocritical than that the condition of forced servitude is good.

For a more blatant version of Attack Of The Clones, see Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets, which much like AOTC portrays a democratic, pluralistic government as complicit in covering up atrocities. Unlike AOTC, Ethan Hawke plays a neon cowboy pimp. Whether that would have made AOTC better or worse, I can't say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

That's true, but the "from my view, the Jedi are the bad guys" comes out of the mouth of Darth Vader, so maybe that's not really the point of view of the film.

Seriously, was anyone saying this poo poo right after the movies came out? Someone wrote a contrarian think piece in like 2010 that was like "Oh, what if the Jedi are the bad guys?" and all the prequel fans grabbed onto it so they could pretend the prequels aren't just a giant mess.

No, they're not the bad guys. But the point is that they're being led astray, by their worldly attachments, into doing bad things, just like Anakin. The fall of the Jedi, of the Republic, and of Anakin Skywalker are all parallel arcs.

You want it straight from the mouth of George Lucas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEET8IdkRnY&t=350s

George Lucas posted:

The Jedi are always sort of fighting the reality of the fact that they are in essence diplomats; they sort of persuade people to do the right thing. They're job isn't really to go around fighting people, yet they're now used as generals and they're fighting a war and they're doing something they really weren't meant to do. They're being corrupted by this war, by being forced to be generals instead of peacemakers.

This is a pretty overt theme of the films. Yoda openly voices his concerns about the Jedi's growing arrogance. The Jedi librarian absolutely refuses to acknowledge that there could be an error in the Jedi archives. A humble diner owner effortlessly succeeds where the droid-reliant Jedi archives fail and has to explain to Obi-Wan the difference between simple knowledge and true wisdom. Despite being peacemakers and diplomats, they allow themselves to become generals of an army of mass-conditioned clones who've had their individuality and humanity scientifically repressed. The Jedi later hatch a plot to unilaterally overthrow the chancellor and take control of the senate, a line of thinking Yoda again points out is a very dark one. Mace tries to outright murder someone he believes to be a helpless and defeated assailant, simply because he doesn't trust the organs of democracy to adequately deal with him. There's this moment:

That's Yoda with Sith lightning in his eyes. He's been losing the fight because the dark side will always be more physically powerful than the light side. So Yoda chooses to emulate Sidious. And it works. He knocks Sidious back. But Yoda gets knocked back too, and he falls much farther than Sidious, simply because, as a servant of the light, he has much farther to fall.

That's the moment when he realizes that this is what's been happening to the Jedi all along. They've been fighting a war they can't win. The only way to win, Yoda realizes, is to stop fighting. To stop playing by the Sith's rules. It's the same realization Luke makes on the second Death Star twenty-three years later. (By the way, this is how you do visual metaphor.)

None of this is that subtle. It's really not the movie's problem you didn't get it.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 2, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Yo man, droid slavery is not the main point of Star Wars. Ain't no way no how. Preposterous.

wait so now the criteria is "main point"?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Yo man, droid slavery is not the main point of Star Wars. Ain't no way no how. Preposterous.

Most movies are about many things.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, the armies are just props. I mean you can characterize the final battle as a huge clash between two slave armies, but the film clearly does not consider that the case. These things exist in the film, but they're just tossed off or in the background.

I checked that screenshots link in case I was misremembering the film, but no, there the slaves are in the foreground of lots of shots throughout the movie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, the armies are just props. I mean you can characterize the final battle as a huge clash between two slave armies, but the film clearly does not consider that the case. These things exist in the film, but they're just tossed off or in the background.

Obiwan, Anakin and Padme spend significant portions of the film in the people-factories where the slaves are produced. Obi-wan is read a sales pitch. C-3PO is astonished by it's perversity.

These scenes are not in the background. On the contrary, the scenes with Anakin and Padme in particular have often been criticized for being too much in the foreground.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

Unlike AOTC, Ethan Hawke plays a neon cowboy pimp. Whether that would have made AOTC better or worse, I can't say.

I mean, obviously better.

Serf posted:

wait so now the criteria is "main point"?

Yeah that's what we were arguing about.

Serf
May 5, 2011

also the battle scene in aotc is awesome. the clones come coptering in like a loving vietnam movie, droids come out to meet them and the dust gets kicked up, obscuring both sides. the movie contrasts the clone facility with the droid foundry as well. its just fantastic

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I don’t know what else anyway can say that hasn’t been said already but these are things that happen on screen—that are depicted on screen

What else can a movie do aside from show things. I don’t know what it would take for you to think slavery is a major motif in a movie if you are rejecting it as one in a franchise with an actual literal slave as a primary character

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

also the battle scene in aotc is awesome. the clones come coptering in like a loving vietnam movie, droids come out to meet them and the dust gets kicked up, obscuring both sides. the movie contrasts the clone facility with the droid foundry as well. its just fantastic

Yeah that battle's pretty dope.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

thrawn527 posted:

16 bit spoilers for TLJ. Even in the title, which is why I didn’t embed it.

https://youtu.be/oFfMN6lPnlA
The score for that part in the movie is so drat good.

E: "The Spark" on the OST.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 2, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lord Hydronium posted:

The score for that part in the movie is so drat good.

E: "The Spark" on the OST.

Yeah I wasn't a huge fan of the score overall but that piece is fantastic.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Actually, everyone on both sides of the clone argument is making a gigantic error. The clone army doesn't represent the concept of a slave army as is being argued in this thread. It represents the concept of all armies--all imperialistic armies at any rate. The clones are raised in a society which force-feeds them ideologically-approved information in schools designed for the mass production of loyal nationalistic soldiers. All the individuality is stamped out of them. As a result, the clones willingly and enthusiastically embrace their roles as pawns of the imperial nation-state.

The point being made with the clone army isn't to depict some speculative form of sci fi slavery. It's pure metaphor. The purpose is to hold up a mirror to the workings of our own highly militarized and nationalistic society, which many of us, just like the Jedi, never even think to question the fundamental moral soundness of. The future society on Kamino is the logical endpoint of our own current society (just as was the very similar future society depicted in THX 1138.)

The basic point is this: The clones are slaves only to the extent that any voluntary enlistee of the United States military is a slave. Which is to say, they are. But it's a kind of slavery which we can't condemn without fully morally implicating ourselves. We destroy the souls of our children, we warp and twist their minds, and then we send them out to oppress and kill, and ultimately to die. And we call it voluntary, and we lionize them as heroes in order to mask our culpability in their victimization.

The imagery on Kamino is all highly symbolic, and highly socially and politically charged. It's probably one of the most radical and subversive sequences in the entire series:

A microcosm of society. From cradle to white armor coffin. Homogenized schools designed to produce uncritical drones. Bowls full of colorless nothing, lacking sustenance. Patiently standing in a line for your turn to trade in your human face for the obliterating mask of the fascist collective.The authoritarian state looming over and controlling everything.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 2, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The clones are explicitly stated to not be simply a product of their upbringing, though. Their physical (genetic) construction/modification is highlighted deliberately. It is an essential piece of the formula.

Neither is there a visible indication that they "enthusiastically embrace their roles", in stark contrast to Boba, Jango and Obi-Wan, who love this poo poo. The clone in the shot you posted is not a happy bunny as he glances up at his owners.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Wild Horses posted:

I have ”good film opinion”; jerk me off

this but unironically

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

sassassin posted:

The clones are explicitly stated to not be simply a product of their upbringing, though. Their physical (genetic) construction/modification is highlighted deliberately. It is an essential piece of the formula.

Yes, that's an extrapolation of our current trajectory. Scientifically-enforced conformity is part and parcel with socially-enforced conformity. These clones are subject to both. They're two methods to the same end. It's a commentary on our society losing touch with its (genuinely) spiritual side and growing increasingly more materialistic and scientistic. These movies aren't about things that don't apply directly to the world we live in. The looming advent of mass genetic manipulation won't change the fundamental issues at hand; it'll just change the modality.

quote:

Neither is there a visible indication that they "enthusiastically embrace their roles", in stark contrast to Boba, Jango and Obi-Wan, who love this poo poo. The clone in the shot you posted is not a happy bunny as he glances up at his owners.

You're reading that shot exactly backwards. He's one single clone among many who expresses even a hint of discontent. It's a solitary and ultimately impotent glimmer of humanity, a testament to the fact that these are men and the Kaminoans can't exercise complete control, despite what they say; there is always the hope for resistance. You can't snuff out the human spirit with science, not entirely.

But other than that there's absolutely no indication that most clones object to their situation. A few, of course, do, and if you watch the The Clone Wars you see that their nonconformity is violently dealt with, usually by the other clones (who denounce the dissidents as traitors while making heartfelt appeals to their duty to serve the Republic faithfully).

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 2, 2018

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

J_RBG posted:

Disappointingly there's not as much adultery in Star Wars.

I know, right?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

You can't snuff out the human spirit with science, not entirely.

Were there any clones who didn't execute Order 66 besides I guess the ones who physically weren't around any Jedi or younglings?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I watched R1 the other day and man it really does own but the computer Tarkin and Leia are both just not right somehow.

The cool thing I noticed was that when Jyn is looking at the tapes trying to get the death star one, she skips a tape called "Hyperspace Tracking"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Were there any clones who didn't execute Order 66 besides I guess the ones who physically weren't around any Jedi or younglings?

I think I've heard some of them refused the order and show up in the "Rebels" cartoon

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Rogue 1 is almost the worst Star Wars movie. It has no characters and only archetypes.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the lucasfilms come close to having cuckoldry in them, at least there's a kinda dynamic between luke and han and then later between anakin and obi wan

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PostNouveau posted:

I think I've heard some of them refused the order and show up in the "Rebels" cartoon

Oh, I didn't watch any of the cartoons.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't watched all of it but I know Rebels follows through on the Order 66 arc in TCW (where Rex learns about the biochips in their head which compel them to obey the order, Manchurian Candidate-style), and reveals that Rex and a group of clones he took into his confidence removed their chips and so managed to escape executing Order 66.

I know some people take issue with the revelation that Order 66 is a result of a biochip rather than the clones simply choosing to obey the order because of their conditioning (I've had my own reservations), but at the end of the day it all means the same thing. The biochip is just a sci fi metaphor for ideology. You have to acknowledge it and cut it out. It's not an easy thing to do. A bunch of clones (and Anakin) hear about the biochip but Rex is the only one who believes, because of the experiences he's had and the kind of man he has become. The other clones can't break through their conditioning to accept the truth.

There's also a nice parallel to the chip Anakin has in his head in Episode I to control him, and the system of central control exercised over the battle droids in that film.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 2, 2018

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think the ultimate mistake of the sequel trilogy is pushing r2d2 and c3p0 to the side. Bb8 doesn't really do the hapless peasent thing they didn

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i was watching esb again and i'm pretty sure han and leia hosed at least once in between the two movies

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

They def hosed after rtj

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

thats true i just mean their entire dynamic at the start of esb is kinda like trying to establish where they stand after some kind of implied off screen passion

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got the impression that Han and Leia only had sex the first time after they got to Cloud City, because Leia goes from all white virginal clothing to a gown with a lot of red.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Wtf is wrong with some of you

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Shiroc posted:

I got the impression that Han and Leia only had sex the first time after they got to Cloud City, because Leia goes from all white virginal clothing to a gown with a lot of red.

:holymoley:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TLJ is a boring bad movie, which is worse than an interesting bad movie.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

But an interesting good movie like TLJ is even better.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

GoldfishStew posted:

Rogue 1 is almost the worst Star Wars movie. It has no characters and only archetypes.

Uh, if you're going to ding a movie for relying on archetypes, every star wars is the worst star wars

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

GoldfishStew posted:

Wtf is wrong with some of you

pot, kettle

I think the red dress symbolism is a good call. Lucas definitely pulled the same poo poo with Padme's bondage clothes.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Something I liked about TLJ that 16-bit video reminded me of: For a character who died a movie ago, Han's presence is felt remarkably a lot throughout this one. Characters are continually speaking of him, dealing with his death, dealing with killing him (in Kylo's case). And it always feels like it's in a way appropriate for the characters, not just "Hey, remember Han?" People die a lot in Star Wars, and the movies deal with the aftermath in every way from glossing over it, to motivating characters positively, to driving them into darkness. In TLJ, most of the characters react to Han's death by mourning him, but also letting go and moving on (even the illusory dice fade away). Except Kylo: the man who killed Han is the only one who can't get past it. I really like Luke's line "I'll always be with you, just like your father", because it starts off sounding like a repeat of Obi-Wan's threat, but then halfway through becomes more about grief, loss, and the effects of killing in general, as well as a solid comment on Kylo Ren's character.

Anyway, I don't want to make too much of this or act like it's some deep observation; it's more of a little thing I enjoyed in a movie full of many of them.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 2, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I Before E posted:

Uh, if you're going to ding a movie for relying on archetypes, every star wars is the worst star wars

Seriously, lol.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I looked up the old "Droid's" cartoon on Youtube. Found out there is an episode titled The Revenge of Kybo Ren.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7h7_d2BUtI

I am convinced that Droids is canon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SimonCat posted:

I looked up the old "Droid's" cartoon on Youtube. Found out there is an episode titled The Revenge of Kybo Ren.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7h7_d2BUtI

I am convinced that Droids is canon.

Droids (and Ewoks) are in the Legends continuity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

jivjov posted:

Droids (and Ewoks) are in the Legends continuity

I'm actually not up my Star Wars continuities. I take it that Legends is the old EU?