Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
alternate alternate: abandon that channel, seal off any entrences from it to your fort, and build a second with the lessons learned. No sense putting in effort if it didn't flood out your legendary dining halls and stockpiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice! I did think about abandoning it, but I want to learn how pumps work so I'll give that a go.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
I thought diagonal flow neutralized pressure, so it'd work just as well as if you'd built it correctly? Except for the part where you can't close it to prevent swimmers/contaminants from getting to your well, I guess.

Telsa Cola posted:

If all your map edges are ocean since you embarked on a tiny island how does this effect migrants?

I assume it makes good swimmers out of migrants. Not all the ones that arrive, but at least the ones that make it to your fort.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh, and if that biome freezes in the winter, the water will turn into Ice and you can just mine it out and build whatever. Just don't have anyone splashing round in the water at the moment when it freezes, that is bad.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Telsa Cola posted:

If all your map edges are ocean since you embarked on a tiny island how does this effect migrants?

I've never seen an island where the playable area was completely surrounded by water on all 4 sides. The game just has to get a single tile of land on the edge of the map to allow people to arrive on land, so if a given map would be isolated it probably cheats and makes a small connection.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
It's more complicated because he channeled instead of mining, so he's got a 2 z-level trench, which means even if he pumps the water out he'll just be clearing the top level. At this point, the project could only be practically salvaged by redirecting magma to fill it in, or doing the kind of multi-level pump bullshit that makes people turn off aquifers.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm about ready to give up on making TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW breath attacks work. No matter what properties I give the material it uses it always seems to create a cloud of scalding liquid flame. But hey, at least I got confirmation I made the breath properly manipulate the victim's emotions.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's more complicated because he channeled instead of mining, so he's got a 2 z-level trench, which means even if he pumps the water out he'll just be clearing the top level. At this point, the project could only be practically salvaged by redirecting magma to fill it in, or doing the kind of multi-level pump bullshit that makes people turn off aquifers.

Yeah, the channeling was a dumb idea. I'll just seal this one off when it freezes in the winter and make a new one.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spanish Matlock posted:

He said it is two levels, but from the picture it looks like just one, open to the surface. The water level is the same level as the water in the brook and ponds.

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm about ready to give up on making TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW breath attacks work. No matter what properties I give the material it uses it always seems to create a cloud of scalding liquid flame. But hey, at least I got confirmation I made the breath properly manipulate the victim's emotions.

Are you making it shoot a custom material? I think it should be possible to set the custom material's boiling point to a stupidly low number, and then set it so that it produces a set temperature so it's always above its boiling point without being "boiling hot".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RandomMagus posted:

Are you making it shoot a custom material? I think it should be possible to set the custom material's boiling point to a stupidly low number, and then set it so that it produces a set temperature so it's always above its boiling point without being "boiling hot".

Tried doing that. Still sometimes burst into flames. Temperature, like many things in Dwarf Fortress, is beyond my understanding.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I have a tribe of rodent men in my cavern layer that has been chill despite being marked as hostile and has been killing all the random cave crocodiles for me for three years. Rooting for those guys. Every now and then I'll notice an r in the body pile and get sad.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Facebook Aunt posted:

He said it is two levels, but from the picture it looks like just one, open to the surface. The water level is the same level as the water in the brook and ponds.

Those are down ramps, not up ramps.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I got a cavern layer with two bodies of water at different levels separated by rock, so I did the logical thing and made a tunnel from one body of water to the other to create a waterfall. when my miner breached the wall to the upper lake out came a high powered spout that hit him back against the wall and almost instantly flooded the lower levels, the way pressure works is still hilarious. the oaf then for some reason tried to walk upstream and drowned there, blocking the floodgate so i couldn't close off the tunnel. now my fortress is basically dead because the waterfall is taking a dump on my fps and I have no reasonable way of stopping it. it was a boring fort anyway though, i never got a siege even though i'm right next to a goblin civ, that miner was the only death in five years and there's only one extremely short adamantium spire

i wish embark would show you whether or not the site contains iron ore, this site doesn't have it at all. i hate embarking on a fort that lacks some important part of fortress industry so i have to tediously import it and there's no way of knowing until you're already balls deep

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 2, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shibawanko posted:

I got a cavern layer with two bodies of water at different levels separated by rock, so I did the logical thing and made a tunnel from one body of water to the other to create a waterfall. when my miner breached the wall to the upper lake out came a high powered spout that hit him back against the wall and almost instantly flooded the lower levels, the way pressure works is still hilarious. the oaf then for some reason tried to walk upstream and drowned there, blocking the floodgate so i couldn't close off the tunnel. now my fortress is basically dead because the waterfall is taking a dump on my fps and I have no reasonable way of stopping it. it was a boring fort anyway though, i never got a siege even though i'm right next to a goblin civ, that miner was the only death in five years and there's only one extremely short adamantium spire

i wish embark would show you whether or not the site contains iron ore, this site doesn't have it at all. i hate embarking on a fort that lacks some important part of fortress industry so i have to tediously import it and there's no way of knowing until you're already balls deep

I don't worry too much about iron, there seems to be plenty floating around between ingots, ore, and goblinite.

I did get hosed on flux a couple forts ago. The site finder had a site it claimed had flux and all my other requirements. I dig and dig and dig, no flux layer. Finally I find it, in the very bottom layer of magma where you get that impassible molten stone, and only in part of that layer. I think there was less than 40 marble boulders in the end. In that fort I mined more adamantine than flux.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Facebook Aunt posted:

I've never seen an island where the playable area was completely surrounded by water on all 4 sides. The game just has to get a single tile of land on the edge of the map to allow people to arrive on land, so if a given map would be isolated it probably cheats and makes a small connection.

I played with an ocean surrounding the playable area years and years ago.

No migrants. No traders. No siege.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I just made a new world, a region map this time, I never tried advanced world generation much because figuring out meshes is hard. I set a high number of minimum volcanoes because volcanoes are cool. One of the mountain ranges is called The Fingers of Wiping which is probably the grossest name i've ever heard.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Spanish Matlock posted:

Those are down ramps, not up ramps.

Yeah, it's subterranean. Basically I dug out a tunnel that was level with the floor of the brook, then dug channels in the floor of the tunnel. In retrospect I'm not sure why I did this; I guess I wanted the reservoir to be more than one layer deep? Who knows.

Anyway, my plan now is to wait for winter for the brook to freeze, and see if I can unfuck things that way. I'll let you all know when I inevitably flood my whole fortress. I'm up to a population of 80, which I've never hit before, and I feel like I spend all my time making furniture for these sorry fucks, so I won't be too sad if they all die.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Shibawanko posted:

I just made a new world, a region map this time, I never tried advanced world generation much because figuring out meshes is hard. I set a high number of minimum volcanoes because volcanoes are cool. One of the mountain ranges is called The Fingers of Wiping which is probably the grossest name i've ever heard.

You should see some of the river names in evil biomes, they get downright revolting

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Montalvo posted:

Yeah, it's subterranean. Basically I dug out a tunnel that was level with the floor of the brook, then dug channels in the floor of the tunnel. In retrospect I'm not sure why I did this; I guess I wanted the reservoir to be more than one layer deep? Who knows.

Anyway, my plan now is to wait for winter for the brook to freeze, and see if I can unfuck things that way. I'll let you all know when I inevitably flood my whole fortress. I'm up to a population of 80, which I've never hit before, and I feel like I spend all my time making furniture for these sorry fucks, so I won't be too sad if they all die.

You can channel without digging first, the dwarf will just dig the square simultaneously with the channeling of the floor and the space below.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

alternate alternate: abandon that channel, seal off any entrences from it to your fort, and build a second with the lessons learned. No sense putting in effort if it didn't flood out your legendary dining halls and stockpiles.

This is especially good advice because fixing your fuckups adds character to a fort! You'll always remember why you have an OCD displeasing scar somewhere between your living quarters and the caves!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

reignofevil posted:

This is especially good advice because fixing your fuckups adds character to a fort! You'll always remember why you have an OCD displeasing scar somewhere between your living quarters and the caves!

One of the things I occasionally try and do is dig entirely organicly, use the automine gem/ore as often as possible and don't make additional tunnels unless its critical. And use the caverns as often as practical depending on inhabitants and what I can wall off. So rather than a perfect central stairwell with geometric rooms I wind up with this sprawling ant hive of dwarves, its actually pretty visually pleasing.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I just sentence any dwarf who displeases me "to the mines" and make liberal use of the vein designation for mining. There's always work for another cheese maker stripmining for coal!

Edit- these are located far below my nice fort for maximum discomfort

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

One of the things I occasionally try and do is dig entirely organicly, use the automine gem/ore as often as possible and don't make additional tunnels unless its critical. And use the caverns as often as practical depending on inhabitants and what I can wall off. So rather than a perfect central stairwell with geometric rooms I wind up with this sprawling ant hive of dwarves, its actually pretty visually pleasing.

I always try this but I can never quite pull it off, this is exactly how I built in Simcity 4 though and I ended up with positively beautiful cities instead of boring grids.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
So, a roc just killed the hairless rat demon leading a goblin civ and some minor criminal took over. Functionally, what happens to the gobbos now?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
No functional change.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Goblin society has barely any rules so it doesn't really matter who is in charge.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Dragon attacked and set my above ground on fire then died due to my weapons traps, only dumb back luck he wasn't caught by the cage traps all around. The flames freed many of the creatures I had built in cages above ground for the goblin invasion that has never come (they were on fire, so a quick freedom) so I opened the rest of the traps, the rain put out the fire, then sent in the squads to clean up the mess. Four dead total, barely a blip on the screen. Last time I faced a dragon in game it flew into my fort before I could raise the gate and killed 200+ dwarfs/guests by flaming everything before a random guest put it down and my fort was basically 5 children at that point.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wonder if Toady is ever gonna change cage traps being able to magically ensnare everything from a capybara to a bronze colossus.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Not before multi-tile creatures come into play, probably.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm guessing the eventual multi-tile creatures thing will have to change that on some level. But that's pretty far off since he's preoccupied with magic right now.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Sorry to keep bombarding this thread with questions, but the manager of my fort, and one of the more important dwarves at that, has been taken by a fey mood. It's a secretive one and from what I gather he wants stacked cloth. I'm trying to make as much of it as possible (a dwarf is making some in my loom from pig tails, except I didn't plant any so I'm not sure what's going on). Will the fey mood dwarf eventually pick up the cloth if enough of it has been made for him? If enough can't be made, I'm guessing he goes insane and dies?

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 3, 2018

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

He should pick it up as it comes out. Isnt fey the one where they want specific materials but wont say exactly wgat they want. So if they want cloth they might want silk or yarn not necessarily plant fiber. If he wants silk it will still say "he wants cloth"

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 3, 2018

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Welp, guess he's boned then. Time to find a new manager!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Yep, assuming he doesn't want silk or yarn cloth, which I'm not sure there is a way to tell besides him just not going after the cloth. Hope you got caverns for spider webs and woolly pets for yarn (or a caravan shows up!)

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Get your military out in case he goes berserk

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I don't have a military. :shobon:

Luckily, my butcher punched him in the head so hard he literally choked. She's a badass, I guess.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Montalvo posted:

Yeah, I don't have a military. :shobon:

Luckily, my butcher punched him in the head so hard he literally choked. She's a badass, I guess.
Moral of the story: Always embark with at least one silk thread+cloth and one wool thread+cloth(and turn auto-loom off until you know you have a renewable source of both).

Or live on the edge and hope you don't get any moods before your first caravan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I build all workshops in 5x5 rooms, enough for a line of stockpiles for common ingredients, and the real reason is I build a door to that workshop whenever it gets claimed.

If the dwarf goes bonkers because I can't get any law pewter bars or toad skulls or whatever, just lock the door.