Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

The girls in that picture look surprisingly of age compared to some of the people they have working at the Queenstown one. It reminds me of that milk-bar paranoia thing that I saw on Hard Copy as a child - but this is actually loving happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Rabbi T. White posted:

The girls in that picture look surprisingly of age compared to some of the people they have working at the Queenstown one. It reminds me of that milk-bar paranoia thing that I saw on Hard Copy as a child - but this is actually loving happening.

that picture is from mountain scene, the queenstown newspaper.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

sebmojo posted:

that picture is from mountain scene, the queenstown newspaper.

They must've busted out the legal looking ones for the promo shots. Either way it is loving uncomfortable and having women wear skin tight, low cut clothing is really not appropriate for a family cookie store.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I hope they don't do the creepy "young girls wearing not much" thing that they do at the one in Queenstown. :/

Yeah they do :/

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Adult women can decide for themselves whether they are comfortable baring their shoulders I think.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Absolutely, but it's a lovely, sexist and exclusionary policy/dress code that is totally irrelevant to the brand and product. I don't blame the women who work there

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I can't believe I didn't know about a place that serves Cookie Time Hot Chocolate.

*cries with joy as he binges on an xmas bucket of cookie time cookies*

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

bike tory posted:

Absolutely, but it's a lovely, sexist and exclusionary policy/dress code that is totally irrelevant to the brand and product. I don't blame the women who work there

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I loathe the thing where lefties wrap all the way back around to puritanism. It's tacky but so what, consent is all that matters.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

What you perceive as looping around to puritanism is leftists struggling to express the concept of economic consent that is ever present in capitalist society.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

consent is all that matters.

No this kind of individualisation of responsibility is exactly how workers rights are eroded. Like it's straight outta libertarian manuals.

Again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with people choosing to work there and wearing the uniform, the fault is in the company that forces them to do so and only hires people willing to do so.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

Reviewed 24 September 2016 via mobile
Scantily clad girls
Without a doubt the cookies and other treats here are delicious. My partner and I ordered milkshakes right next to one another. Mine came out but his got delayed for coffees, they did give him a cookie which was nice. The staff are friendly but how they're dressed makes it uncomfortable to hang around in the shop, when they're bending down for things or leaning over to grab something it's impossible not to see something. Music is really loud. My partner said he couldn't look over the counter to watch without seeing something. Please consider changing your uniform for something more family friendly

the boobs... those cursed, infernal boobs...

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Putting "young girls in sexy outfits" and "snack foods aimed at children" in the same business is really weird.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Somfin posted:

Putting "young girls in sexy outfits" and "snack foods aimed at children" in the same business is really weird.

This is the weird part yeah.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I loathe the thing where lefties wrap all the way back around to puritanism. It's tacky but so what, consent is all that matters.

or that a significant number of lefties like jumping at shadows.

bike tory posted:

No this kind of individualisation of responsibility is exactly how workers rights are eroded. Like it's straight outta libertarian manuals.

Again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with people choosing to work there and wearing the uniform, the fault is in the company that forces them to do so and only hires people willing to do so.

You are going to have to legally define what a uniform is and what parameters are acceptable. Good luck defining that.

99.9999% of the time it's fine, it's bad to legislate for an edge case of so little significance. Media shaming maybe but I don't give a gently caress and they could be naked for all I care. A cookie time strip club would be intriguing to visit, probably too many cookie crumbs in butt cracks or something.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Wait, I forget, is Hooters a family restaurant that's trying to pull in an additional demographic or is it just about that demographic.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It could be like the ice cream chain Wendy’s in the late 90s the uniform was a white polo shirt with the logo and a tiny pink miniskirt. It wasn’t for the customers as they were behind the counter. It was for the franchise owners who were pretty much exclusively 50 year old white guys. A fair number were ex police as well apparently.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah the big difference with places like Hooters, or a strip club, is that the cookie time cafe is using young women's sexuality as marketing that benefits only the owners while at least at Hooters or strip clubs etc the women benefit directly in the form of tips. That's not to say those other places aren't often still exploitative, but still.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah debating what are/aren't uniforms and all that other bullshit is sidestepping the fact that a place revolving around selling sugary baked treats targeted at children has weird cheerleader uniforms. That's it, that's all of it and it's loving weird and creepy.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, but this is Queenstown we're talking about.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm far too poor to ever have been, is it a weird and creepy place in general?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's pretty similar to most tourist towns. Imagine if every one of your local shops or service providers tried to be super unique and spent heaps on marketing.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 30, 2017

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Taupo never had that kind of thing

but you wouldn't want it to, either

:barf:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

bike tory posted:

It's pretty similar to most tourist towns. Imagine if every one of your local shops or service providers tried to be super unique and spent heaps on marketing.

I just moved to a flat in central Wellington, so I'm guessing it's like here but more gaudy and pushy?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Well it's been a few years since I lived in Welly and even longer since I've been to Queenstown but I'd say its more tacky and there's more facade, literal and metaphorical. Wellington has it's different entrenched communities that go to the various bars and cafes so that gives a kind of authenticity or at least stability to their aesthetic

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 30, 2017

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Queenstown is entirely geared towards servicing rich Americans and drunk Australians.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Happy new years cunts.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

klen dool posted:

Happy new years cunts.

Welcome to 20 fuckin' 18.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Here's to another year of the far right's unyielding grip on our country thanks to the idiots that didn't vote National.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

Here's to another year free of the far right's unyielding grip on our country thanks to the idiots heros that didn't vote National.

:same:

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/100275008/new-years-revellers-build-sandcastle-in-coromandel-estuary-to-avoid-liquor-ban

loving wonderful.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress :lol: at the idiots in the comments section missing the joke about "International Waters".

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

oohhboy posted:

:lol: the comments section

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, Stephanie Rodgers is upset at the Labour Party.

https://twitter.com/bryce_edwards/status/947678769594040321

Enjoy the responses to Bryce Edwards' tweet, all taking turns to dunk on her.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I don’t know who she is

And I don’t care

But good on that person for having a blog

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I've always kinda liked what I saw of her. She's got the same arrogance as most of the people in those circles, but I feel like she gets called out on it way more because she's a woman (and she also isn't afraid to point out the sexist double standards involved in those that do so which riles people up even more)

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
At the risk of getting a bit beltway: she's not the only long-serving lefty Jacinda and James have snubbed for people who are actually competent.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

At the risk of getting a bit beltway: she's not the only long-serving lefty Jacinda and James have snubbed for people who are actually competent.
I heard you talkin poo poo

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like people who are competent. Purity is overrated if you can't get good things done correctly.

• Locked thread