Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I’m playing as Aragón, and I’m having a bit of trouble understanding institutions. I get that they seem to originate in one place, and from there it seems like it either spreads through proximity or development (but there could be other ways?). I’m having trouble with Colonialism, which has been embraced by proximity to Portugal by everything but my Italian holdings (I integrated Naples). Is the best way to make sure that my Italian holdings get Colonialism to just develop one high development province and let it spread from there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

trying to form prussia as france for a new game, seems like it could be a lot of fun. probably not going to get BBB this run but i might go for a quick moscow before i flip the switch

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Democrazy posted:

I’m playing as Aragón, and I’m having a bit of trouble understanding institutions. I get that they seem to originate in one place, and from there it seems like it either spreads through proximity or development (but there could be other ways?). I’m having trouble with Colonialism, which has been embraced by proximity to Portugal by everything but my Italian holdings (I integrated Naples). Is the best way to make sure that my Italian holdings get Colonialism to just develop one high development province and let it spread from there?
My guess is that it wouldn't be worth the cost as it will spread to Naples on its own fairly quickly. Also you should be able to pay money to embrace it by having it in enough of your Iberian provinces. Open up the institutions menu under techs and check. :)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Probably doesn't have enough money right now which is why it's not popping up at the top of the screen.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm no expert but I'm very certain it is 100% always worth taking loans for the loving embrace of an institution (unless it puts you in a debt spiral of course).

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I bought the last few expansions lately and I'm really confused about how institutions work. I think I've figured out states and estates, but I have no idea how to influence how the Renaissance or the Enlightenment goes into my nation so I'm falling behind. Is there a good guide to this mechanic?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I bought the last few expansions lately and I'm really confused about how institutions work. I think I've figured out states and estates, but I have no idea how to influence how the Renaissance or the Enlightenment goes into my nation so I'm falling behind. Is there a good guide to this mechanic?

check in your province to get a list of things you need to influence the institutions. there are ways to game the system and spawn institutions in wacky places if you know how to keep ya wits about.

E: you win europa universalis 4 if you spawn colonialism in japan

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 1, 2018

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

For institutions is there a good rule of thumb for when to seed them? I'm thinking once you're at least 1 mil above nearby rivals then it's safe to do so.

Update on my Bharat game, Renaissance naturally only around 100 years late. Then seeded Colonialization and Printing Press at the same time, Global Trade popped during that time so embraced Colonialization then Free Trade then Printing Press in quick succession.

What's the best trade node for india? My current home node is Bengal, but not sure what the best close by one is for funneling in trade.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Poil posted:

I'm no expert but I'm very certain it is 100% always worth taking loans for the loving embrace of an institution (unless it puts you in a debt spiral of course).

Yeah, it turns out that I didn’t have enough money. I took out a loan and that fixed it. But for the next round, I want to same some money and help those Italian possessions pick it up further. Could I just develop my highest development province with, for instance, Military development and seed it in the peninsula?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Development can't go above the sum of the other two development types so in general the best you could manage is 50/25/25. There's no real need to do so in Europe though, a lot of the time you can just hold off on tech for a while until it spreads naturally without hitting any of the max monarch points.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Democrazy posted:

Yeah, it turns out that I didn’t have enough money. I took out a loan and that fixed it. But for the next round, I want to same some money and help those Italian possessions pick it up further. Could I just develop my highest development province with, for instance, Military development and seed it in the peninsula?
Sure, monarch points are vastly more valuable than money but there's nothing saying can't or shouldn't (unless you care enough about optimal play). Just make sure you do it in a province with cheap development such as farmlands.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

For institutions is there a good rule of thumb for when to seed them? I'm thinking once you're at least 1 mil above nearby rivals then it's safe to do so.

Update on my Bharat game, Renaissance naturally only around 100 years late. Then seeded Colonialization and Printing Press at the same time, Global Trade popped during that time so embraced Colonialization then Free Trade then Printing Press in quick succession.

What's the best trade node for india? My current home node is Bengal, but not sure what the best close by one is for funneling in trade.

I always seed institutions if I don't think that I'm going to get the institution by natural spread before at least 50 years have passed (it only takes a few techs, even at the mid levels of tech penalty, to cost more than seeding). I try to seed as quickly as possible though I will always stay current on mil tech rather than using those points for development.

The best Indian trade node is the one farthest downstream that you can monopolise. Bengal is relatively easy to get locked down hard and is also naturally high value so it's a good choice; Ceylon, Goa and Indus all feed into Gulf of Aden and so are usually worse choices until you've conquered there (but you should manually collect if you own a decent chunk of those nodes and have your home node in Bengal).

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

EU4 was still one of the Top 100 highest grossing games on Steam last year. I guess we'll get a few expansions this year too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Definitely Bengal. It only has one downstream node (Ceylon), which you can easily dominate. If you do dominate Ceylon, that effectively turns Bengal into an end node, and if you dominate Bengal as well you can collect 100% of the trade value there. If you already dominate both, set Ceylon as your home node and assign a merchant to collect in Bengal. Since you have no competition in Bengal, you don't have to worry about the penalty for collecting outside your home node. And Bengal is one of the richest nodes in the world (third richest at the start of the game) and is downstream from a lot of other very rich nodes.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Cool I've got Bengal at just below 90%, but ol Vij is still hanging onto Ceylon.

Also I dunno if this is a bug or not, but I can't save scum anymore? Like instead of having a regular save + cloud backup save, now I just have 1 save file. Not sure why. I removed a sorta poo poo heir, then got a far worse 0/1/2 heir so alt f4'd but the game saved for some reason.

edit: Ideas. I've currently got: Offensive, Admin, Humanist, Influence. Got a slot for one more. I'm Bharat and currently allied to Ming, who are me near-term threat. They took quantity so the current units caps and manpower are: Bharaht 131/100k to Ming 221/120k. Our dudes are basically equal although I've got +10% infantry combat off orissan traditions.

So do I go with quantity to match them? Or defensive or quality? Coming up from India there are a lot of jungle provinces, so the defensive attrition boost would be handy. But quality synergizes with the infantry boost i've got, would give 5% more discipline, and help out fighting the Ming navy (which is tiny for no reason, but could change).

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 2, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Defensive is definitely the right choice here, the morale bonus is great and so is pretty much everything else. Trying to outnumber Ming is a fool's errand.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I’ve had a few fun Dithmarschen runs now and have a few questions. Invariably, I conquer Denmark, north Germany, Westphalia and a few bits of Holland, and end up dominating the Lubeck trade node. I’ve never managed to conquer the UK although maybe I could if I played more aggressively early on.

Questions:
* how do you colonize late (1550s+) without sucking. Are you supposed to declare colonial wars? As a continental power, won’t that involve Spain coming overland magically with a huge army and kicking your teeth in?
* would I make more money out of lubeck and the other trade cities (1) conquering and absorbing (2) vassalising (3) beating up periodically for their lutefisk money?
* is it even possible to do east Asia trade from north Germany? If so how?
* Can you do imperial stuff too? Again if so how? Seems like Austria or Bohemia always end up being emperor.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

Beefeater1980 posted:

Questions:
* how do you colonize late (1550s+) without sucking. Are you supposed to declare colonial wars? As a continental power, won’t that involve Spain coming overland magically with a huge army and kicking your teeth in?
* would I make more money out of lubeck and the other trade cities (1) conquering and absorbing (2) vassalising (3) beating up periodically for their lutefisk money?
* is it even possible to do east Asia trade from north Germany? If so how?
* Can you do imperial stuff too? Again if so how? Seems like Austria or Bohemia always end up being emperor.
- AI is usually quite slow to colonize, so there should still be good lands to colonize by 1550.
-(1), vassals dont make much money without really optimizing them through ideas, and money per month is always preferable to lump sums.
-Not without expanding into the English channel
-Yes but colonizing probably eats into your diplo ideas which are usefull for HRE shenanigans. If youre goal is to become emperor and reform as Dithmarshen, I'd just stay out of the colonial game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What idea groups do people recommend for Muscovy -> Russia?

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
Religious->Defensive->Admin is my standard opening for Muscovy, but with the tsardom goverment you might not need the extra states so bad. Still, worth it just for the coring cost like always.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
If I'm going to be blobbing a lot early on, my current thinking is Admin and Influence as the first two idea groups (order depending on details; for Muscovy, Influence might be a good #1 because of all the vassal states etc.) -- Religious would be a fine #3. I have come to think that military idea groups are best saved for a bit later, because keeping up or slightly ahead of the pack in military tech is pretty important in the early game, so better to spend sword mana on that.

Defensive is fun and appropriate for Russia but it's really mostly worth it a bit later in the game when you have an awful lot of provinces that invaders will have to trudge across. Maybe as #4? So by the time you might be interested in fighting Ming, they can leave a trail of frozen dead bodies all across Siberia.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
I think you save more diplo points from Deus Vult cb than the reduction for integrating your vassals. Still influence is never bad either.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Groke posted:

If I'm going to be blobbing a lot early on, my current thinking is Admin and Influence as the first two idea groups (order depending on details; for Muscovy, Influence might be a good #1 because of all the vassal states etc.) -- Religious would be a fine #3. I have come to think that military idea groups are best saved for a bit later, because keeping up or slightly ahead of the pack in military tech is pretty important in the early game, so better to spend sword mana on that.

Defensive is fun and appropriate for Russia but it's really mostly worth it a bit later in the game when you have an awful lot of provinces that invaders will have to trudge across. Maybe as #4? So by the time you might be interested in fighting Ming, they can leave a trail of frozen dead bodies all across Siberia.

Defensive is worth it right from the start. The morale boost alone will win you wars, and +1 yearly tradition will not take long to pay off.

I almost always pick Defensive as my first military idea, sometimes even as my first or second idea pick, depending on location, just for that massive 15% morale.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Russia is pretty fun. I started a Muscovy/Russia game today and after forming Russia I got an event that gave me perma-claims on the Ottomans in Greece so that I could reclaim Constantinople for the Orthodox religion.

Is there any way to get your stability cost back down once you've hit that Streltsy button?

Also, I went Humanism->Defensive->Influence as my ideas. Mostly because I can't remember taking Humanism since the every early days of EU4 and I wanted to try it again.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
Russia are one of few who really wants religious over humanism, it just mixes better with their bonuses from orthodox and national ideas. Humanism is generally stronger though imo.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Groke posted:

in russia maneuver is great because of the big land you have to traverse and lots of mountains contributing to really lovely supply in your big low development provinces, and land maintenance modifier will make your huge armies a lot less costly which can help field more mercs in order to clash with ming. defensive is great for russia and +15% morale honestly is a game changer for making those godawful combat rolls that i seem to have all the time go through better. the fort maintenance thing does not matter too much if you are blobbing hard and taking forts out the rear end because you can transfer the forts to a vassal and transfer back right before the peace deal if the vassal does not want it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gosh dang i started playing as butua to knock out the achievement and this rules. solid ideas, more gold than god, can lock down the cape/zanzibar, dumb bird (??) flag that doesn't fit in the shield right, tribal despotism for ccr, can break to coptic rebels

butua... welcome to the top five nations list. orissa please have your desk cleared by 5

oddium fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 2, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Starting at mil tech 2 without Feudalism is loving assholes though. Kilwa is a complete jerk.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

pog boyfriend posted:

the fort maintenance thing does not matter too much if you are blobbing hard and taking forts out the rear end because you can transfer the forts to a vassal and transfer back right before the peace deal if the vassal does not want it

Did they change it back so that you can transfer occupation back from a vassal to yourself again?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

"sword mana"

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Groke posted:

Did they change it back so that you can transfer occupation back from a vassal to yourself again?

I haven't tried it yet but I heard they fixed it in either 1.24 or 1.24.1

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Senor Dog posted:

"sword mana"

Since I started imagining myself as an all-powerful magician in charge of the country, casting spells to improve my lands and breach down fortresses, the game has improved 100%.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

50 sword mana to summon a general what can teleport between two armies instantly

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

BigRoman posted:

I would pick Cossacks instead of rights of man. Not being able to ally a regional/world power and immediately use them as a wrecking ball really changes the game for the better. Also having your rivals be unable to do the same to you gives you a little breathing room to start out. As for estates, you can go full Arumba and micromanage the poo poo out of them, or just give them enough land so they won't complain and recruit the occasional minister/general when you need it.

Regarding Rights of Man: Great power stuff is icing on the cake as far as I am concerned. That said having a queen to keep you out of a regency can really stop the random number generator from derailing your expansion plans.

This game is complicated, but once you understand it, it is far better than any other strategy game. I grew up playing Civ, but after EU3 and EU4 I can't go back. I would recommend starting as the Ottomans. They have the best early game units (in Europe), plenty of missions to kick your neighbors teeth in, and the best location for a mid to large sized nation to start. Christians to the West, Islam to the East, and Pagans to the South (once you devour the Mameluks). Pick a direction and start swinging. Once you risk a coalition with one religious group expand in another direction until the heat dies down.

Thanks! This game got its claws into me but good. I ended up buying more of the DLC after a first few hours of play and I love this game.

I've been playing and restarting the early game as Venice to get the hang of how things work and learning a ton. The latest I've gotten to is the 1480s (current play through) and things are going well. I now understand how trade works generally and have been getting very rich and am working out to best to spend my ducats. So far, the best use I've found is more expensive advisors to speed up monarch points and more light ships to further increase trade power. As Venice, I spend a lot of my time in fear of Hungary/Austria/The Ottomans. And hemmed in by the HRE Italian states that by right should be mine. So I'm biding my time and developing alliances and hoping for a crack to appear.

One thing that I'm really missing as a new player (and I can see why people say you need hundreds of hours to stop being new) is a conceptual framework for what's "normal". What's a normal number of wars over time? What's the early game/mid game/late game? What's a normal rate of getting tech, etc. The other bit that I'm learning is that there's a second conceptual framework for typical historical events. Listening to guides, people will choose their early tactics, knowing what to expect (one of the great benefits that we have over real life rulers: some clairvoyance).

quote:

Also, play ironman. The urge to savescum is huge, and a lto of the fun comes from dealing with disasters (of your own making or otherwise).

I tried this and like the idea conceptually, but the interface and systems are still so complicated and mildly confusing that a lot of my disasters were not "this was a bad call" but "oh, that's what that button does". So I'm playing now with an honor-system Iron Man where if I don't understand what a button does, I save, try it out, see what happens and go back, but I'm not going to save scum in general. This seems like a better way for me to learn.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Italy leaves the HRE around 1490 or so, so that should help. Venice can be a pretty difficult nation with all the powerful enemies at your gates, but it's also fun as hell because, as you've noticed, you get all of the money.

Early game is generally the first century or so, mid game around the next 150 years, and late game starts once you unlock imperialism (Diplo tech 23 iirc). Or at least that's how I always thought of it.

You should probably be at war as often as your nation can handle without falling apart. For some people, that's at all times. For others, that's every 10-15 years.

You're right to start out with non-ironman until you get a handle on the mechanics, imo. It really helps to not have to worry about knowing who gets dragged into what wars, what will completely ruin your economy, etc.Though once you get comfortable, you should probably restart with it on.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So ideas to survive as Grenada and re-re-qonqista?

Defensive seems good to start with, then maybe humanism for all the different cultures?

I'm going to avoid colonising until I've actually got a solid foundation to build on!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Invade Ireland, conquer the island, colonize the world.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

1555 in my butua game

karaman is coptic

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

proof that coptic is op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Is there a way to see whether a nation would give my war enemies Military Access? To help my planning?

Asking because I just tried to flex my naval superiority at the Mamluks and was extremely surprised to find that the Ottomans (who I didn't think had that good an opinion of them) gave them a open road to my home provinces. I found this out when I discovered thousands of their troops on my land.